Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Kilgore Trout

Author Topic: Kilgore Trout
Benny in the East
 - posted      Profile for Benny in the East           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Kurt Vonnegut died;

bbc story

Anyone here a fan of his work? He had a very distinct style, but was one of the easiest and most enjoyable "sci-fi" writers of the 20th C. Still, 84, and a chimney smoker of pall-malls, not bad going...

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only really knew Slaughter House-Five through the book and film, and I read Cat's Cradle ages ago but only half remember it. He was a humanist and I liked that because it's the closest I come to a life ideal but I don't know too much else about him. 84 and a good enough life isn't too bad.

You a fan?

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
84 and a good enough life isn't too bad.

Yeah, he got to find out what it was like to be a prisoner of war, witness first hand one of the greatest atrocities of modern warfare and spend the eighties bankrupt and doing cameos in Rodney Dangerfield films to try and pay the bills. The lucky fuck. I bet he had to laugh like hell.

I've read Slaughter House Five and Cat's Cradle, and I think another one of his. Got quite into him when I was 22. I remember there was some puzzle in Slaughterhouse 5 that involved a number on a gravestone at the end. What was all that about?

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vonnegut is absolutely one of my favourite writers.

Aside from his fiction writing, of which Slaughterhouse 5 and Galapagos are my favourites, I'd throughly recommend Fates Worse Than Death - a compendium of his essays and speechs from the eighties.

I should really get round to reading A Man Without A Country too.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I only really knew Slaughter House-Five through the book and film

Rather than what? The video game?
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
quote:
84 and a good enough life isn't too bad.

Yeah, he got to find out what it was like to be a prisoner of war, witness first hand one of the greatest atrocities of modern warfare and spend the eighties bankrupt and doing cameos in Rodney Dangerfield films to try and pay the bills. The lucky fuck. I bet he had to laugh like hell.
That's me slapped down.

[prickly defensiveness]I said good enough. A hell of a lot of people live through shit and it's good enough if they aren't maimed and get to live to a ripe old age with respect and their minds and integrity intact. Are you suggesting he was miserable for his entire 84 years and died a despairing man? If not, maybe it was good enough.

I am not a total ignoramus thank you.[/prickly defensiveness]

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Benny in the East
 - posted      Profile for Benny in the East           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You a fan?

I am, I guess - read quite a few of his books. I got a friend onto his stuff, and he is a bigger fan - but I like him, yeah.
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
quote:
I only really knew Slaughter House-Five through the book and film

Rather than what? The video game?
It's not very clear is it? I just meant I have only read those two books of his and the only one I really remember is SH-5 because of the film as well as the book.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+