Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Theatre tickets

Author Topic: Theatre tickets
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, I admit I'm a bit of a philistine and have never been to a proper theatre. A fact I'd like to remedy soonish.

Why, you may ask, am I here saying this? Well, because the ticket buying thing is confusing the fuck out of me.

I've found tickets on 'sale' for £35 but getting them from somewhere like Ticketmaster they cost £70.

Having seen Watchdog, am I to assume that cheap tickets = scam?

I need 2 tickets for Wicked and I'm confused! [Frown]

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sabian, if at all possible, go to the theatre in person and buy directly from the box office- no booking fee. There are also plenty of outlets around Leicester Sq that offer discounted tickets on all the big shows.

I'm going to see Harry Potter's magic wand next week.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Wicked. Does that help?
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theatre is far to plebian and distastefully modern for my tastes. You may as well be listening to Smack Those Bitches by A Prodigy on one of your MP3 players. These days the only culture I'm prepared to engage with are sixteenth century Andean novels presented in their original knots-on-a-piece-of-string format.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should go and see some bands.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe not. DId I mention the Ray Davies farrago?

--------------------
sweet

sabian

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
There are also plenty of outlets around Leicester Sq that offer discounted tickets on all the big shows.

Yeah, that's what I thought but then I realised that despite the 7 years being here, my accent is still as yank as ever and realised that this would probably mean I'd pay "tourist" rates.
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:

I'm going to see Harry Potter's magic wand next week.

Good luck with that, perhaps he'll errection patronum you backstage.

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm about to book my tickets for some RSC stuff at Stratford. I imagine lots of people think RSC stuff is terribly twee. But my mum thinks it's the epitome of high art, bless her. And a couple of years ago I got to see Ralph Fiennes in Brand as a side bonus, and that rocked.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
Right, I admit I'm a bit of a philistine and have never been to a proper theatre. A fact I'd like to remedy soonish.

quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
Wicked

Musical theatre is about as cheerfully philistine as you can get - and so much the better for it, imho.

If the price of 'not being a philistine' is being bored to death in a room full of wankers, that price simply isn't worth paying.

sabian

Yeah, I'm not exactly saying that seeing Wicked will remove me from the dregs of society... But, I'd prefer to go in slowly... Perhaps when I'm wrinkled, I'll see something like Cats!

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the thing I found with Wicked was that there were way more songs than I expected. It's pretty much all singing and dancing, with only very brief moments of drama in between each number. Family friendly though. The audience was like 25% female children.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
It's pretty much all singing and dancing, with only very brief moments of drama in between each number.

Very much like real life then. Well, since the explosion of iPod ownership anyway.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The audience was like 25% female children.

Let me guess the other proportions:
  • 25% Retarded female adults
  • 25% Easily pleased gay men
  • 25% Paedophiles

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
quote:

• 25% Paedophiles

And, er, BigNuts...
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The retarded gay paedophile.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
quote:

• 25% Paedophiles

This was pretty much the Equuis ratio when I went with Mrs The Ball. With a +/- of 0.5%. All the little female's were trying to pretend to be women, which was funny.

It's an alright play - once you get past Daniel Radcliffe shouting to show feelings.

Tickets were fucking expensive though.

But yeah, as VP said, go direct or to the booths in town.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

sabian

Having just got back, musical theatre isn't that bad.

And the stereotype was confirmed as Graham Norton sat next to me with his mam.

Good show. May have to do this sort of thing more often now!

One downside to the night, the whole place was filled with fucking Americans! How fucking annoying! "After this, we're gonna go down to Lie-chester Square.." I. Need. To. Loose. This. Damned. Accent! They thought I was one of them!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+