Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » 1....2.....

Author Topic: 1....2.....
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Freddy's coming for you.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wrote a post about this, imagined how the whole thread would play out, decided not to bother. So, well done for believing when others didn't.

I'm yet to see any great remakes from the current crop, so I won't be holding my breath. It certainly doesn't look very nightmare on elm street like. The thing with the original film is that it really feels like a dream. The whole film has got an eery quality about it, nothing ever feels really real. The strangely stilted acting and the claustrophobic locations make it feel like everybody is trapped inside the wrong reality from the very beginning. Freddy was only one element in this. This new one doesn't look like that at all.

Whatevs, it's probably not as if kids these days can sit through the relatively plodding nature of 80s slashers. And it's not like the NOES series represents the greatest set of cinematic achievements to date, or indeed, anything other than over-exploited merchandising fodder.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
And it's not like the NOES series represents the greatest set of cinematic achievements to date, or indeed, anything other than over-exploited merchandising fodder.

Not true! It represents how to turn things around after 5 rubbish installments and suddenly deliver a remarkable and interesting finale. Plenty of debates about which 'Part IIs' actually outshine the original, but NOES is the only series I know of to deliver a genuinely brilliant Part VII.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should probably go the whole hog and re-boot the franchise.

I would transpose the setting to the UK - probably Liverpool (European capital of butchered youngsters and floral tributes) - and have Freddy played by Jack Straw.

-

If the action were based around some really middle class Catholic school you could have all sorts of themes of guilt and retribution worked in there.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Straw is just missing a fedora and a the glove photoshopped in there.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
And it's not like the NOES series represents the greatest set of cinematic achievements to date, or indeed, anything other than over-exploited merchandising fodder.

Not true! It represents how to turn things around after 5 rubbish installments and suddenly deliver a remarkable and interesting finale. Plenty of debates about which 'Part IIs' actually outshine the original, but NOES is the only series I know of to deliver a genuinely brilliant Part VII.
Yes, it's a very good film. It don't think it's representative of the series though. I mean, when I think about NOES, I don't think of it as 'the series that had an amazing part seven', but rather one that was driven into the ground by franchising. I don't think that new nightmare even fits in with the rest of them really. It's seems more like a spin off. I don't doubt that you'll disagree with that.

I like part 2 of the series.

I saw Freddy vs Jason in the cinema, and that isn't very good.

[ 29.09.2009, 11:15: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked your essay on Part II more than I liked Part II.
Kanye West
TMO Member
what a lovely thing to say!
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it a Nightmare on Elm Street in which someone's tendons are pulled out of their arms, and they're used like a puppet? I saw this film at a bigger boy's party when I was about ten. Thought it was pretty cool and terrifying at the time, and I think it's the only Nightmare on Elm Street film I've ever seen.
Thorn Davis

That's in Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors, I think.

I used to have nightmares about Freddy long, long before I saw the films.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - that sounds familiar.

How does 3 rate against the others, in your estimation? Is it worth watching them all?

Kanye West
TMO Member
three isn't great, but it's better than four. I think it makes sense to watch the films in order, not just for narrative flow, but because they degrade in quality uniformly from number one to number six. You could go from one straight to seven though - seven being a kind of musing on the whole phenomena of the franchise, how krueger 'penetrated' popular culture, and on the role of the fairy tale in society.

[ 29.09.2009, 12:15: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
although part six has got some 3D in it, so you know. Swings and roundabouts.
Thorn Davis

I'd say just watch the first and last one. The first one is just great, and the last one is clever and great. The middle ones are just... they're sort of worth watching if you stumble over them on the telly, but that's about it.
Kanye West
TMO Member
part two is alright.
Kanye West
TMO Member
don't watch the tv series though.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God I forgot the TV series.

The first two are alright. The seventh one is pretty good. The rest are absolute bilge. Dream Warriors is ridiculous nonsense.

Thorn Davis

quote:
don't watch the tv series though.

Fuck me. I've just seen on IMDB that it had 39 episodes. Holy shit. I always assumed they did, like, six and then it ended. That's like nearly as many episodes as The Wire. Did it have the same level of dense plotting and characterisation?
Kanye West
TMO Member
I've watched probably around ten hours of the tv show, and it's weak. Everything is shot with a dreary red hue, nobody can act, and nothing interesting ever happens. Most of the time it's nothing to do with nightmare on elm street, but the little morality tales will be introduced by kreuger, and he'll usually come out with a dreadful pun when it finishes, usually of the "Now that's what I call blah blah" variety, as peddled by his punning contemporary, James Bond. If there is a death taking places in flames then it'll be a reference to something being hot ie 'a hot ticket', 'burning ambition', 'being fired' etc. That kind of thing. If you like that, you might enjoy Freddy's Nightmares.

[ 29.09.2009, 12:36: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
I probably didn't need to explain how a pun works.

[ 29.09.2009, 12:37: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's anything like the mess of Transformers 2, you can use this totally awesome diss:

Nightmare on Elm Street? More like Nightmare on Belm Street!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+