TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Society » Rushing in on a White Charger

Author Topic: Rushing in on a White Charger
OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So folks, Africa is still in trouble and Sir Bob has (another) plan.

But is the lineup of the Live8 concerts so 'hideously white' as to make the whole exercise some sort of neo-colonialist, patronising rescue mission?

Or is the fact that the stadium-filling likes of U2, Coldplay and Madonna just a cold, hard necessity. Most of the world's bankable stars are white, ergo to get attention they need to be on board.

Or are the Live8 concerts themselves just a distraction and a throwback? If Sir Bob really wants to get law-abiding bleeding hearts out and breaking ASBOs on the streets during the G8 summit, is getting them waving their lighters in the air the right way about it?

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a fair few darkies playing in America and blow me the French stage has a load of frogs playing and Youssou N'Dour who is also a darkie !!

Perhaps though it's mostly white because a concert to help get rid of world poverty is best not fronted by rappers and J-Lo's singing about bling-bling and being well off.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

statist
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for statist           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more likely to be because negros simply don't make very good music. I mean the aim is to get people to give money, right, and who's going to do that if the music's rubbish. To get good music you need to go to the white population: the Sir Elton Johns; the Coldplays; and to a lesser extent the U2s. I mean, Will Smith? Come on!

[ 02.06.2005, 14:41: Message edited by: statist ]

--------------------
every action has a song!

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ain't that the truth? Who's gonna give 'til it hurts if all they see on stage is a load of well-fed, wealthy black folks?

Maybe they could get Faithless to play. That guy looks like he's missed a few meals.

--------------------
sweet

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by statist:
negros

The plural of negro is negroes.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

statist
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for statist           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuelnorton:
The plural of negro is negroes.

No, I meant Negros. It's a place in Greece. Haven't you heard of it? The music is dreadful. Sorry I didn't capitalise the n but, you know, I was trying to be cool with the lower-case letters.

--------------------
every action has a song!

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, I meant Negros. It's a place in Greece. Haven't you heard of it? The music is dreadful. Sorry I didn't capitalise the n but, you know, I was trying to be cool with the lower-case letters.

lol. I remember now - that awful resort somewhere in the Dodecanese where they play that dreadful din called blacke music. It's in a cave, donchaknow.

Among the newer folk on here statist, I think you are right up there in the 'interesting' stakes.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will only go to this if U2 play a version of "Everybody Has AIDS" from Team America.

You should have seen little Thorn's face when they rhymed AIDS with spades in the song; it was like Santa had given him a trio of Japanese teen sluts wrapped in candy floss.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
You should have seen little Thorn's face when they rhymed AIDS with spades in the song; it was like Santa had given him a trio of Japanese teen sluts wrapped in candy floss.

J-LOL

I take it Team America doesn't stray too far from South Park humour then?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's "Everyone Has AIDS", you dumb bitch.

quote:

Everyone has AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
Everyone has AIDS!

And so this is the end of our story
And everyone is dead from AIDS
It took from me my best friend
My only true pal
My only bright star (he died of AIDS)

Well I'm gonna march on Washington
Lead the fight and charge the brigades
There's a hero inside of all of us
I'll make them see everyone has AIDS

My father (AIDS!)
My sister (AIDS!)
My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)
The gays and the straights
And the white and the spades

Everyone has AIDS!
My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)
The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
We gotta break down these baricades, everyone has
AIDS! x 20

The only thing that made me laugh more is the puppet being sick for what seems like 20 minutes. Normally I don't really like high brow humour, but this was pretty good.

[ 03.06.2005, 06:00: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"America..fuck yeah!!" made me lol every time, as did the puppets performing the sort of kinky sex most contortionists would fear to attempt. Top film.
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meh.
thats what i thought.

apart from the "secret signal". and "burka burka"

Phoenix
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Phoenix           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...I mean the aim is to get people to give money, right, and who's going to do that if the music's rubbish.

Err, not this time, actually. The aim this time is to get the politicians to notice we all care about poverty, to get the politicians themselves to give a shit (this is the biggest challenge, I think) and then to get them to do something to make poverty history during the G8 meeting.

--------------------
Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

Mil
 - posted      Profile for Mil           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So will the concerts be cancelled now that they have agreed to write off a load of debt?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd expect them all to say 'hooray, hooray, we don't need to do the concert now that the woooorld has been saved' (carefully calculating how many additional sales they made off of the free publicity)

bonus commentary: welkummant Phoenix and Mil

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it seems they have made it suddenly a cracking gig - waters rejoins Floyd!

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
No it seems they have made it suddenly a cracking gig - waters rejoins Floyd!

That is one astute move by Geldof. Half the audience may be going, "Who are the grandads doing Scissor Sisters covers?" but it there's one band that will get the G8 world leaders to stop yacking for a minute and watch the telly the it's gotta be the Floyd.

Just hope they learn from Led Zep's disasterous Live Aid reunion and get plenty of rehearsal time booked up.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+