Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Society » It's education, Jim, but not as we know it. (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: It's education, Jim, but not as we know it.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

New Village Academy - "What is unique about NVLA?"
  • Students are required to demonstrate 100% mastery of a skill before they move on. Testing is done in a separate classroom. If a student has not achieved mastery, he or she is gently re-taught until ready to move on.
  • Mastery can be tested traditionally with pen and paper, but often we prefer to have children demonstrate their understanding by creating models.
  • Purpose and application of knowledge is stressed. We ask, “How would you use what you just read in your life?”
  • We teach children how to study and how to recognize in themselves when they aren’t learning and how to get back on track.
  • We emphasize that children look up the words they don’t know in the dictionary as opposed to looking for context clues right away. They then learn exactly what words mean as opposed to “sort of” what words mean.

quote:

Subject: Anonymous Announces Operation: School's Closed, Sept 13th

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Anonymous Announces "Operation: School's Closed".

On Saturday, September 13, the collective known as Anonymous will stage
a global protest against the Church of Scientology management, its
attempts to infiltrate schools, and its internal exploitation of
children.

Study Tech corrupts the most basic principles of most educational
systems, representing them in a different manner. This is an effective
form of social control over the classroom. Disagreement with the
material one is studying is evidence of a misunderstood word (M/U),
which must be located and cleared before one can progress. Study Tech
includes a convenient blame mechanism. In Scientology, if a concept is
not understood, it is always the fault of the student, never that of the
teacher or source material.

Study Tech complies with Hubbard.s demands that his ideas not be
re-interpreted, or even debated. He puts the emphasis on rote learning
(or "duplication" in Scientology) rather than critical interpretation:
"A misunderstood word keeps a person from duplicating what the written
materials actually say" (Hubbard, "Method 9 Word Clearing The Right
Way," HCO Bulletin of 30 January 1973, revised 19 December 1979).[1]

So

I've always had a passing interest in Scientology. It's hard to explain why. It's probably less abusive and destructive than many other popular forms of religion, it's not hugely popular, and it's easy to kind of snicker at it as a just a warped feature of modern society. There are plenty worse ills than Scientology. But, still, it's fascinating. The tightly controlled inner core, the exorbitantly expensive pathway to clearing oneself of Thetans, the constant use of celebrity, the e-meter, the Sea Org, the pavement stress test... it all adds up to something that almost seems too ridiculous to exist, let alone thrive.

The dark side is certainly dark. Draining the vulnerable of money and freedom, wringing people dry to grow the cause and stack skrilla. Running mafisio style campaigns of intimidation, blackmail and victimisation. Breaking families apart, running extremely harsh systems of punishment, forcing all members to live in a panopticon.

So, I keep an eye on accounts from ex-members, I read the forums, and also read any actual material that is made public. I suppose I just want to understand how it works, how people can go from a stress test to an empty acolyte.

I was wondering what the general opinion is? Is Scientology just a wacky outlet for born again loons, harmless enough? Are Anonymous wrong to be protesting at schools against what for many people is actual faith? Should we view it as a faith, or does it not yet qualify?

I think that maybe the really interesting part of it is what is says about religion as a whole. Does it not expose religion in its entirety as something to be mistrusted, something that happens to people?

[ 04.09.2008, 07:27: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scientology is wrong and extorts money from vulnerable people with the promise of belonging and Anonymous are spot on to protest anything against it.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
Scientology is wrong and extorts money from vulnerable people with the promise of belonging

So how does this differ from Catholicism?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree with all religions really ralph, but while Catholicism was created centuries ago to gain control over society, Scientology has been created recently entirely to make money and I find that it ridiculous that someone can follow a "religion" when the creator of it said he was doing it just to make money.

And this thread was about Scientology so I thought ripping into muslims and stuff would have been a bit weird.

ralph

Fair enough. Just wanted to know where you stand in general in regard to religeon. See you in hell. [Smile]
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you can really draw a distinction between power / control and making money. It's not like Scientology is operating in a regulated market like a national economy - any money it makes is directly related to both its power over the paying individual, and also its stake in institutional / economic power. There aren't any balances or laws about how you conduct your religious business. I guess governments may step in if you're small time, tooled up, and threatening the establishment, but that's not Scientology.

Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the pool of individuals who are available to be indoctrinated is exactly a competitive market, with market forces playing a role when it comes to the different religious organizations fighting for territory. I don't really know how it works in terms of an economy.

Anybody ever been in Scientology? Know anybody who has / is?

[ 04.09.2008, 07:51: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reached the 10th Level of Quangar. I am officially a Zantoom now. Although this is not surprising as numerous courses have revealed I am actually more than 95% non-human.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you shoul draw a picture of what your non human form looks like.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*?*
-

see how serene my Alien elementals are?

Babb
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Babb           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good likeness, McD, but I think your eyes are a slightly lighter shade of blue irl.

--------------------
Blah.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drove past one of the big scientology centers today, the "celebrity" centre, which is a bit out of order really.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
I drove past one of the big scientology centers today, the "celebrity" centre, which is a bit out of order really.

Too right. Non-celebs shouldn't be allowed to drive past it.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
Anybody ever been in Scientology? Know anybody who has / is?

A friend of mine's a Scientologist. It makes her happy, so whatever. I've visited their centre in the City and it felt like the headquarters of the vampire cabal in Blade. I must go again sometime and take the full tour.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
A friend of mine's a Scientologist. It makes her happy, so whatever.

So....if someone's being exploited and they're happy, then that's acceptable?

--------------------

vikram

She's successful. She's happy. She's content. Is it all bullshit? Yes. But so what? If it works for her, great. I don't see how she's being exploited. Plus she's majorly fit and bad things don't happen to beautiful people, so you must be wrong.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...bad things don't happen to beautiful people, so you must be wrong.

-
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She's successful. She's happy. She's content. Is it all bullshit? Yes. But so what? If it works for her, great. I don't see how she's being exploited. Plus she's majorly fit and bad things don't happen to beautiful people, so you must be wrong.

People like vikram are the reason cults thrive.

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

quote:

Vikram's comments are so vapid and idiotic I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I don't know what the bit about her being hot is all about. Sounds like the kind of thing 14 year old American teens say after watching Clueless. On that logic, unlucky things would happen to Vikram all day, every day.

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
bad things don't happen to beautiful people,

That could be the central tenet of a new religion, right there. Package it as a promise and BINGO!

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
That could be the central tenet of a new religion, right there. Package it as a promise and BINGO!

Bad things don't happen to beautiful people - Now only $10!

--------------------

vikram

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Vikram's comments are so vapid and idiotic I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Laugh, you fool. I was being intentionally absurd.

But my point does stand - if it makes her happy, what's the issue really? So she pays out a bit of cash.. so what? It's cheaper than therapy - it is a kind of therapy in fact - and it helps her live her life happily. The one issue I have with Scientology is the more culty aspects, like shutting out 'negative' people if they become a 'problem'. And yes that's terrible, but in her case she doesn't have any of that, she just lives her life and she's content.

Black Mask

quote:

But my point does stand - if it makes her happy, what's the issue really? So she pays out a bit of cash.. so what? It's cheaper than therapy - it is a kind of therapy in fact - and it helps her live her life happily.

Are you being intentionally absurd again, here?

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
But my point does stand - if it makes her happy, what's the issue really?

I don't see the issue either vikram.
Black Mask

Perfect.

--------------------
sweet

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
The one issue I have with Scientology is the more culty aspects, like shutting out 'negative' people if they become a 'problem'.

So you're happy with their Fair Game policies to try to ruin the life of people or groups who they consider to be anti Scientology?

(Tried to link directly to the wikipedia article but it won't allow parntheses in the link for some reason)

(Edit - Oh ffs. It keeps putting a space between URL and = for some reason even when I edit it out. This link.)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22fair+game%22+scientology&meta=]

[ 08.09.2008, 07:12: Message edited by: Cherry In Hove ]

vikram

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
So you're happy with their Fair Game policies to try to ruin the life of people or groups who they consider to be anti Scientology?

I don't know about that stuff nor care really. Like I said, she's happy and healthy and Scientology hasn't been detrimental to her life. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm not gonna judge her choice, and so long as they don't harm her i'm not really that bothered about their practices.

[ 08.09.2008, 07:33: Message edited by: vikram ]

Black Mask

Why, oh why, should anyone have to engage with reality? After all, for one low monthly payment you can immerse yourself in the warped belief system of a secretive and morally suspect organisation, that encourages you to participate in bizarre and potentially harmful behaviour. Just so long as your cheque clears.

"what's the issue really? So she pays out a bit of cash.. so what? It's cheaper than therapy - it is a kind of therapy in fact" Like a paedo going to Bangkok, or a junkie buying heroin. So, they pay out a bit of cash, it makes them happy, it's like therapy. Sure, other people don't understand it, other people think it's weird or warped or dangerous. But, who cares? As long as they're happy.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
morally suspect

lol. pot calling the kettle black mask.
vikram

quote:
"what's the issue really? So she pays out a bit of cash.. so what? It's cheaper than therapy - it is a kind of therapy in fact" Like a paedo going to Bangkok, or a junkie buying heroin. So, they pay out a bit of cash, it makes them happy, it's like therapy. Sure, other people don't understand it, other people think it's weird or warped or dangerous. But, who cares? As long as they're happy.

she's not harming anyone else, nor herself in my opinion. and yes, why should she have to engage with reality? it's why people go to church - it offers solace. for gher it's the dianetics stuff that makes her feel good about the world. so what.
Black Mask

Scientology seems to me to be the sort of 'belief system' that might be found attractive by... ooh, I don't know... alcoholics, those with a history of failed relationships, those with little or no grasp of the impact of their behaviour on society, shut-ins, hermits, home-schoolers... you know, you're typical pathetic, dysfunctional nutjob.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

I think Scientology could help those bitter, morally depraved types. You know...the ones who post bitter, hateful things on internet forums.
vikram

you may be right. and again, so what? if dysfunctional people turn to a therapy programme - that's what Scientolody mostly is - for comfort, solace and too feel good about themselves, well what of it? like i said, everyday Scientology isn't harmful. yes, some of their practices are highly questionable, but that kind of stuff doesn't affect her. She's happy and to me that's all that matters.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
I think Scientology could help those bitter, morally depraved types. You know...the ones who post bitter, hateful things on internet forums.

I don't. I don't think they'd help. At all.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
She's happy and to me that's all that matters.

Fair enough. It just seems like a pretty stupid 'life'. You're good with that, though...

--------------------
sweet

vikram

though of course i'd rather she had found contentment someplace else. i'd rather she wasn't a Scientologist. but i just don't get all the hatred doirected at Scientology and not at other cult-like 'religions' - i suppose it's because they are secretive and a bit mysterious, but high-profile too.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+