Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Sex and Relationships » Lulus! Fahsands of 'em! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Lulus! Fahsands of 'em!
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just stumbled upon Yahoo! Personals and thought, this'll be a laugh, let's see if there's anyone that lives anywhere near our house, bet there isn't. There's a hundred and fourteen within 10 miles of where I live, and that's just the ones with photos and within five years either side of my age. And registered with Yahoo! Personals.

How many single people are out there, FFS?

Change the criteria to 'Within 250 miles' and age 18-40 and I get what must be the set limit - 1000 hits. I haven't gone out dating for more than 20 years. I wish I could be single for a couple of months just to see what it's like. Then I'd go back home. I'm sure Mrs Dang wouldn't mind. It would just be an experience. And I bet none of them would go out with me anyway. [Mad]

philomel
writes bad poetry on walls
 - posted      Profile for philomel           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 1000 single males aged 23-30 with photos within 5 miles of my postcode. Hurrah! But...where are they hiding? <face falls slowly>

--------------------
the more brilliant her smile, the closer she always seemed to disaster

Grianagh

- posted      Profile for Grianagh           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought online dating was old news
isn't phone dowhathicky dating thingy the new trend?

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Grianagh:
i thought online dating was old news

It was the sheer number of persons so close to our house that surprised me really. I thought there might be 1 or something.
quote:
Originally posted by Grianagh:
isn't phone dowhathicky dating thingy the new trend?

Tell us more!
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hell, dating. (Internet) Dating has almost turned me into a hater so I've had to take a break. This is a subject on which I could talk about a lot but I don't have the time right now.

Sure, it seems like fun at first, you get to sit there, pick out your men like chocolates from a box, while you sit at your computer of an evening with a glass of wine. After a while the endless round of first dates gets so wearing and you long for a night with people you know so you don't have to go through all that "getting to know you" rigmarole. At first I thought it was just me, but speaking to several people I know who do this, it seems this is just the experience.

It is different for girls too I think, as there are more single men so you do tend to get a lot of replies... but... well, like I said, I don't have time to go into all the ins and outs of it now but I just love the irony of someone with a successful marriage and children longing to be single to just date for a while, while there are lots of us lovely singles out there dating so we can meet someone to (possibly) get married and have children...

So you click on this one person who looks cute only to find out that they're married with kids and just registered to satisfy their own curiosity! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
uberwench

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What she said. In spade loads. And some of them bite!!

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Uber Trick:
I don't have time to go into all the ins and outs of it now but I just love the irony of someone with a successful marriage and children longing to be single to just date for a while, while there are lots of us lovely singles out there dating so we can meet someone to (possibly) get married and have children...

The grass is always greener I suppose. I'm sure there's plenty of married with childrens that would say, "Stay single! It's a great larf!" and plenty of singleds that say, "Lucky married bastard!"

I bet half those adverts are from marridds though.

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes... that was kind of the point...

grass is greener... perhaps... it's lifestyles we want though isn't it?

--------------------
uberwench

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[PHOTOGRAPHS REMOVED]

[ 30.11.2004, 10:14: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Sorry Misc, I don't want to seem like I'm having a go but those girls only agreed to have their photo on a dating site, not on our message board. Seriously, if someone found the site I used (unlikely) and posted my picture without my permission I'd be most pissed off. I know people who use Yahoo Personals, I'm afeared for them.

--------------------
uberwench

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blimey charley.

My love is like a thunder....

Typing in my current postcode should have flashed up some sort of warning: DOH! YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO LIVE BETWEEN THE SETH EFRIKENS AND THE PONCES OF PUTNEY! DOH!

Mostly munters. Of course.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

fish
Media Whore
 - posted      Profile for fish           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Misc, I think you should take down the pictures.

Particularly the second one down.

In fact, I feel so sorry for that poor girl, I think I will write her a personal apology for violating her privacy by looking at her picture on this board.

Any chance of passing on her contact details so I know where to write to?

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine God! There are 73 in the village where I live alone!!! I won't be recommending any of my single friends look them up though, not with self penned 'strap lines' such as these;

• Watch out, Specky's about!
  • Let me colour your rainbow
  • Country gent looking for his princess
  • A GOOD TIME (entire piece written in block capitals)
  • nutty pro racer

ETA:
  • grinning man seeks gentle flossie
*chokelol*

[ 30.11.2004, 09:44: Message edited by: Sidney ]

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Ok, so what is the point of this thread again? Is it to laugh at single people who use internet dating sites?

Yes, I am being touchy and sensitive here. No, it is not that time of the month.

[ 30.11.2004, 09:46: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the ladies round my way seem to enjoy fitness and travel, and are looking for somebody with confidence who enjoys having fun. I would ask what they are doing living in Finsbury Park if this is really the case. Moon on a stick. I doubt that there are many people who, like me, are fond of laziness and staying put, have little confidence, and wouldn't know fun if it came delivered with a complementary barrel of monkeys. It's clearly biased.

[ 30.11.2004, 09:48: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Misc, I agree you must take those photographs down. And sort them out so I can see more than a little red cross for each. Then, you may put them back up.

--------------------
member #28

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Just do a search under single ladies in Newbury on the Yahoo personals Kovacs [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
uberwench

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a program on television recently that followed two people attending a speed dating session, and it didn't look like all it's cracked up to be. It was at Match Bar in Clerkenwell, and half the people had gone either for a laugh, or to support their mates. In between the sessions, the singletons formed two single sex groups and sat at the bar. The hapless pair with the cameras managed 2/20(girl) and 0/20(boy), and they didn't like each other. Imagine meeting twenty people, and not getting one person who would even want to see you ever again, even though you're in the dating environment. It's like some kind of horrible poll. Bollocks to that.

[ 30.11.2004, 10:06: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

kovacs

quote:
Just do a search under single ladies in Newbury on the Yahoo personals Kovacs [Roll Eyes]

I don't want my girlfriend to see me looking up that sort of thing online. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
member #28

miffysocks
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for miffysocks           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that was scary there are loads of people I know on there and I only gave a 5 mile range.

They’re all big fat liars who’s pants I’m gunner set on fire.

I know some those people really well and they’re nothing like they say. They especially lie about the money they make. Shame on these people, how are people suppose to meet nice people who they think they could be interested in, if they being shown some almighty untruths.

Nwod – type in your old post code, it’ll bring a big smile to your face.

--------------------
New for 2005 - STD FREE!!

Greenpeace is just like the BNP, just with like…seals and stuff

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry Misc, I don't want to seem like I'm having a go but those girls only agreed to have their photo on a dating site, not on our message board. Seriously, if someone found the site I used (unlikely) and posted my picture without my permission I'd be most pissed off. I know people who use Yahoo Personals, I'm afeared for them.

I have given you the benefit of the doubt and removed the photos, but quite honestly I don't understand the problem. If someone has posted their picture on a personals site which does not require registration, then these pictures can be seen by anyone who chooses to search for them. As you said:

quote:

So if these images are on the internet and freely available for anyone to see, then I don't see a problem with republishing them on another website (here). It's not like I said anything (positive or negative) about them, other than the fact that they live in Newbury - also mentioned on the Yahoo site. If I shouldn't have posted them here, then why should anyone be allowed to post any picture (of a person) found on the internet?

[Confused] (Image © 2004 Mr Confused, Tunbridge Wells)

[ 30.11.2004, 10:27: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Ok, so what is the point of this thread again? Is it to laugh at single people who use internet dating sites?

No, not at all. From my point of view I was just expressing my surprise at how many single people there appear to be out there, and others on the thread seem to be agreeing. OK, half of them might be mucking about and telling all sorts of fibs, but even then it seems to show a situation I've been oblivious to. I don't think I even know a RL person that's single. *thinks* Hmm, possibly a couple I suppose, but not many anyway.

I suppose there's just a lot of people around. The world's population has double since 1960. I blame pop music for that.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I saw a program on television recently that followed two people attending a speed dating session, and it didn't look like all it's cracked up to be. It was at Match Bar in Clerkenwell, and half the people had gone either for a laugh, or to support their mates. In between the sessions, the singletons formed two single sex groups and sat at the bar. The hapless pair with the cameras managed 2/20(girl) and 0/20(boy), and they didn't like each other. Imagine meeting twenty people, and not getting one person who would even want to see you ever again, even though you're in the dating environment. It's like some kind of horrible poll. Bollocks to that.

Well, we went for a bit of a laugh. Some of the blokes were there to go with their mates and make up the numbers, but I guessed that might be the case beforehand. I got a date out of it! I only get one date approx every 18 months, so you know.

I suppose speed and internet dating is popular because it cuts straight to the chase: this is me; I am available. It's not like eyeing up cute guys in bars and wondering if the girl they're with is their proper bird or not. It's just a bit...purer or something.

My boss' other PA met her current squeeze through an online thing, and she keeps urging me to sign up. They all munters though.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

kovacs

quote:

I don't know because I never got to see if the women were nice looking or hounds. If it was the latter, I suppose the point was to laugh. If the former, to lust.

--------------------
member #28

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Ok look, here's the skinny:

Firstly, thank you Misc, I guess my fear is that in an alternate universe (or indeed this one) someone could do that to me and as the tone of this thread hadn't been defined, split as it was by single ladies and coupled boys, to me it seemed like it was erring on the side of piss taking. I just imagined if you'd picked up the picture (unwittingly) of someone who we kinda new and posted it and it hurt their feelings. My main problem in life is that I empathise too much.

But yes, certainly it raises issues about any picture that someone posts on the internet - in all seriousness I actually felt bad about posting the picture of the granny on herbs' birthday thread. Too much empathy again, you see?! There is more to this discussion but I am running out of time!

There are lots of single people in the UK, but there are more couples. I know a lot of single girls and only one single male. At my birthday party the numbers ended up all wrong: 13 gorgeous single girls, one couple, five guys - all gay. I would think that actually only a small minority of people on that or any other site are fakers.

--------------------
uberwench

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Sorry, phone rang.

Now I appreciate that what I am about to say is going to sound horrendously sexist and that I have to go out so won't be around to respond for a bit but... what really gets my goat (and this is based on scientific research) is that there are all these really cool amazing single women and really rubbish single guys. How the fuck does that work?! [Mad]

--------------------
uberwench

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
sweet

Dr. Benway

maybe your expectations are too high for guys. Realistically, all men are rubbish in some way. Just as they aren't in others. That's maybe what this internet dating thing does.. it's turning people into a list of attributes, and surely determining whether somebody is rubbish or not is far more complicated than matching up likes/dislikes. I can see how they would go some way, in the sense that I wouldn't click with a nazi pole-vaulter, but chemistry isn't really to do with matching up stats is it? Or is it...

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At my birthday party the numbers ended up all wrong: 13 gorgeous single girls, one couple, five guys - all gay.

Christ, I'd kill to get invited to a party like that (and no not for the 5 gay guys before some smartass decides to be 'funny'). In all seriousness though, speaking as someone who probably dates less often even than VP I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me at all, but I don't think it'd ever bother me enough to resort to a dating site, even these days there's just too much of a stigma attached, not to mention, as people have said, the fact that plenty of people are going to lie on such things, making it even more of a shot in the dark. Not that it really matters, I imagine I'm probably one of the 'crap' ones anyway knowing my luck [Roll Eyes] .
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what really gets my goat (and this is based on scientific research) is that there are all these really cool amazing single women and really rubbish single guys. How the fuck does that work?!

Remarkable! When I was last single (shortly before Diana, Princess of Wales, kept her fateful appointment with the concrete proscenium of a Parisian underpass) the exact reverse was the case. What wierd demographic mutation could have taken place since then?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by miffysocks:
Nwod – type in your old post code, it’ll bring a big smile to your face.

I don't know what I am supposed to be smiling at. Is it that my screen is filled with single women in the town I just left? Is it supposed to be tragic/ironic? Is one of my exes on there.

Please be third.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

kovacs

quote:
there are all these really cool amazing single women and really rubbish single guys. How the fuck does that work?! [Mad]

Your appreciation of women and hatred of men could suggest you are a lesbian.

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

Sorry that wasn't even funny. [Mad] at self. Spend one and a half hours on His Dark Materials posts nobody even reads and you blow it on this!

--------------------
member #28

Vogon Poetess

I really do think that there are more good looking girls than boys in the world. Obviously personality is important an' all, but you know, first impressions...

I'd say pretty much all of the girls at speed dating were average to good looking, whereas only one boy made it above average. Then you get countries like Poland, where the girls are astoundingly beautiful and the boys are shockingly minging.

I've been making a conscious effort not to bleat about being single for at least 18 months now, but the situation is really comically hopeless. However, I will not be paying much attention to the worthless comments of the SmugCoupled harking back to their dimly-recalled single days.

Edit: I mean I've tried not to bang on boringly about being a spinster for 18 months, I haven't been single for 18 months. It's not measured in months.

[ 30.11.2004, 12:00: Message edited by: Vogon Poetess ]

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!OMG!"£$ROFFLEROFLLELOLOLOLOLOMG!!

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+