email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » Resident Evil 5

Author Topic: Resident Evil 5
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trailer here

Looks like a direct continuation of the style of RE4 which isn't surprising in the least.

It does look absolutely amazing, and the amount of characters on screen at a time looks terrifying. However.... I loved the puzzle features of the original RE games and I was really hoping that after building the engine for RE4 they'd then have puzzles back into RE4 but from that trailer it really doesn't look like that will be happening.

MKandy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for MKandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks pretty cool, this year has seen the release of some pretty advanced games, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I've just pre-ordered the new Metal Gear Solid, that too looks boner inducing.

--------------------
Isn't dat vierd?

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MKandy:
That looks pretty cool, this year has seen the release of some pretty advanced games, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I've just pre-ordered the new Metal Gear Solid, that too looks boner inducing.

Apparently reviewers of MGS are being told that they're not allowed to mention the installation size or the cut scenes in their reviews as apparently upon putting the game in the PS3 it needs to install 4.6gb or something and rumours are that some of the cut scenes are 90 minutes long....
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa with an installation that big, you might be forced to buy one of those really expensive proprietary hard drives that Sony forces you to buy.

Oh wait no, actually I’m thinking of something else….

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you were right the first time. With a PS3 you're forced to buy the hard drive. With the X360 you have the option to buy it with or without.
Ringo

I was referring more to the fact that with the x360 you have to buy one of the hard drives made specifically for the x360 which are painfully overpriced. Unlike the PS3 which will happily take any laptop hard drive.

I was more making light of the fact that 4.5gb or whatever it is, is not exactly a massive amount of hard drive space.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
I was referring more to the fact that with the x360 you have to buy one of the hard drives made specifically for the x360 which are painfully overpriced. Unlike the PS3 which will happily take any laptop hard drive.

But that's the wrong way round. With the X360 you don't *have* to buy a hard drive at all. It's all very well that the PS3 can take a laptop drive, but when you buy a PS3 you *have* to buy it with the hard drive anyway. There's no way of owning a PS3 without paying for the Sony hard drive.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unlike the PS3 which will happily take any laptop hard drive.

Really? So you could upgrade it to 120 GB for about £35?

I'm still undecided about whether to get a PS3 or 360 as this year's free gift with my mobile contract. The inclusion of a BluRay player is tempting me to go for the Sony. But the 360 has more games, and many multi-console games are said to play better on the xbox.

Decide for me, Teemo.

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
But that's the wrong way round. With the X360 you don't *have* to buy a hard drive at all. It's all very well that the PS3 can take a laptop drive, but when you buy a PS3 you *have* to buy it with the hard drive anyway. There's no way of owning a PS3 without paying for the Sony hard drive.

Awesome selling point there; The X360 - Now available with fewer features than ever! Other exciting features you can now choose not to have with the 360 include - HDMI support, wifi connectivity, and wireless controllers.

But don't worry, if you're cheap enough to buy your 360 without these features, we'll sell you an horrendously overpriced Microsoft branded bolt-on feature at a later date. Except HDMI, if you don't get that then you're screwed.

Thorn Davis

Well, yeah... that choice is a selling point, surely? Or do you go into a restaurant and start complaining about the existence of an A la Carte menu alongside a set menu. "Oh my God! A meal without a dessert! What the fuck man! And then if you want a dessert you have to pay extra!!! Fucking hell! That's Never going to work!" like a nineties teenager who thinks he's Rob Newman.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Awesome selling point there; The X360 - Now available with fewer features than ever! Other exciting features you can now choose not to have with the 360 include - HDMI support, wifi connectivity, and wireless controllers.

Surely the fact that you can choose whether you have these or not is a good thing? If someone knows they don't want the hard drive, HDMI support and wifi connectivity then it's a good thing that they can buy the console without these and pay less?

Put this in the analogy of going out for a meal.

At chez Sony you get charged twenty pounds for your meal and you get three courses.

At chez Microsoft it's £6 a starter, £10 a main and £6 a dessert.

So, if you want all three courses then the Sony price makes more sense. However, if you just want a started and a main course or something then the Microsoft one works out better for you.

Anyway, the real interesting thing is the 90 minute cut scenes.....

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I'd just like to point out that Thorn's post wasn't there when I started replying.....
Ringo

No, see I think it's more like going into a car dealership and then finding you have the option of buying a car without any seats.

O isn't it wonderful to have choice!

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
No, see I think it's more like going into a car dealership and then finding you have the option of buying a car without any seats.

O isn't it wonderful to have choice!

But seats are essential for driving a car so you'd have to put one in, but a hard drive and HDMI support and wireless are not essential for a console...
Ringo

They're not essential. The car would still work. It'd just be really really shit.

And actually, to take the analogy a step further, not only could you be conned into feeling you're getting a better deal by getting less for your money, the car has been designed in such a way that the only seats that'll fit in it are the really really expensive ones that are only made by the manufacturer.

You'get sensible choice with the PS3 - you could buy the 20gb, or the 60gb (or is it 80 now, I can't be bothered to check) and you can then choose whether or not to upgrade the hard drive from the massive selection of reasonably priced hard drives available on the market.

That's choice surely. Rather than being limited to a small selection of things, the price of which is artificially inflated due to the fact that MS have a monopoly on their production?

Ringo

Anyway, Resident Evil 5 looks excellent. I just hope they try and at least make it slightly different to RE4, because as far as I can tell from the trailer it's going to be a case of 'same shit, different scenery'. Not that there was anything wrong with RE4, it was one of my favourite games from whatever year it came out.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PS3's online service is free, right?
But is it shit compared to ecks bock slive?

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there isn't an actual comparison between the two, misc. The xbox is a far, far better games console.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plus, there's like 5 people who already have them and play multiplayer on tmo. If you got one, you could fill the missing spot in the tmo halo3 clan.

[ 02.06.2008, 05:31: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
jj and mcandrew only play gears of war with each other.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
If you got one, you could fill the missing spot in the tmo halo3 clan.

Not unless I could use a keyboard and mouse.

[ 02.06.2008, 05:36: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
Oh, I wouldn't bother with a games console then if you can't use a gamepad.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
Oh, I wouldn't bother with a games console then if you can't use a gamepad.

I can use a gamepad. In fact I have a 360 controller plugged into my PC - it's damn near perfect for certain games (e.g. Assassin's Creed). However, it's clearly inferior to a keyboard and mouse for games with a first person perspective.

*yorn*

ETA: The perfect setup for GTA is a gamepad when driving/flying, and keyboard/mouse when on foot/shooting. Saying that, I might be swayed into buying GTA4 on a console - the first time I'll have done so since the original game on Playstation.

*snaw*

[ 02.06.2008, 06:05: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

MKandy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for MKandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
The PS3's online service is free, right?
But is it shit compared to ecks bock slive?

Correct. Though Sony have apparently improved the network, i believe by aiming a desk fan directly at the server running everything. Every game i've ever played online with the PS3, bar COD4, has been a jerky mess.

--------------------
Isn't dat vierd?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+