Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » The thread in which john loses at life (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Author Topic: The thread in which john loses at life
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the same way that blackmask doesn't like posts that aren't filled with hate. perhaps his name should be changed to black heart?
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet ralph's family are glad he's so busy.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

I bet BlackMasks family wishes he would get hit by a bus on his way back from the comic shop.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That was pretty unpleasant.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

Yeah. Maybe you should read less comics and pay more attention to your family.
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fewer comics. not less.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Black Mask

Maybe. Maybe, I should homeschool my kids in a firetrap in the woods? Away from nasty people.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

I don't think that would be a good idea. Exposing your kids to, well, you fulltime doesn't sound like the ideal environment for learning. Unless it's about comics. Or hate.
Black Mask

Yeah. If I read fewer comics my family might not want me dead. If only I could break this damnable comics addiction. It's taking over my life and making me a horrible person. If I could kick the comics maybe I wouldn't be such a vile arsehole. It's the comics. It's not me. It's the comics. As soon as I kick my addiction I'll be a better person. You'll see. That always works.

--------------------
sweet

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a bit embarrassing.
ralph

It's not just the comics obviously. But it would be a good place to start. It's mostly the soul full of hatred, but I suspect that if you tried to get rid of that, you'd literally curl up into a ball on the ground and die.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by herbs:

That's honesty for you.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by herbs:

yeah, but I've got a few hours to kill before my next meeting, and quite frankly I don't really have anything better to do at the moment.
Pepper
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pepper           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is, Herbs, and yet I can't look away. It's all a bit limp isn't it?
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Yeah. If I read fewer comics my family might not want me dead. If only I could break this damnable comics addiction. It's taking over my life and making me a horrible person. If I could kick the comics maybe I wouldn't be such a vile arsehole. It's the comics. It's not me. It's the comics. As soon as I kick my addiction I'll be a better person. You'll see. That always works.

I think this went over ralph's head.

--------------------
sweet

Pepper
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pepper           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks fairly straightfoward to me.
ralph

No, it really didn't. There's that hatred coming out again. I honestly do pity your children.
Black Mask

Maybe ralph had a terrible childhood? ralph's parents must have been monsters...

--------------------
sweet

ralph

Maybe BlackMask had a terrible childhood? Maybe his parents didn't let him read comics? And now that he's an adult, his making up for lost time?
Black Mask

I wonder why ralph equates comics with hatred.

--------------------
sweet

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut UP, the pair of you, before I knock your heads together.
Black Mask

Maybe ralph's dad dressed up as Superman and then violated ralph?

--------------------
sweet

ralph

I wonder why Blacky can't get it through his thick skull that comics and hatred are two distinct issues that he obviously needs to come to grips with?
Black Mask

Maybe ralph's mum looked like the Incredible Hulk?

--------------------
sweet

ralph

I suspect Blacky's father left his family at an early age. There couldn't have been a strong male role model in that household.
Black Mask

Maybe they made him sleep out in the yard in a doghouse. And now he's building a deluxe version for himself and his lucky family.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

Has anyone actually met BlackMask? Is he really married with kids? Please...PLEASE tell me he isn't!
Black Mask

Maybe ralph wished his dad would get hit by a bus on his way back from the comic shop? That would explain a lot.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

How many wives did ralph say he's had?

--------------------
sweet

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by London:
Let's ALL point out how we're losing at life!

One of the things Bret EE nails in Less Than Zero is the way, in a media-saturated hyperscape, the odd phrase or fragment can still leap out at you, apparently at random, and haunt you for days or months after ('disappear here', 'people are afraid to merge' etc).

The one that got me was a couple of years back - a stray line from back when Eminem was still good (or maybe he was on the cusp of about-to-decline?). Anyway, the line involved him enthusing about you, the listener, having a go at rapping yourself and how, in the deathless brawl of hip-hop, the only slightly aged are rapidly overtaken by the young and enraged. The line was

Hung-r-y / Like a fuckin younger me

As with a lot of hip-hop lines, part of the joke was in how a single word in the first half of the couplet was dislocated to fit better with the second, but there's something else there, something we maybe all recognise as Time trains its hairdryer straight into our faces for the thirt-mpth year running: fears about talents that have peaked, potential that's already starting to show a little half-empty AA battery in the corner of its screen.

There's still time - just - for me to be a young writer; still time, if I complete and publish something in the next couple of years, say. But where time used to be something completely abstract, it's now as finite as a simple calculation of how many words I wrote in the past year multiplied by how many productive years I have to come.

Time to 'get writing' me old mate!

Think about it: hungry / like a fuckin younger me.

Sighting one's doppelganger was always a terrible omen.

ralph

If only Blacky would spend more quality time with his kids instead of comics and gayming. Perhaps they wouldn't grow up to be the serial killers they're destined to become.
ralph

Poor masketeers. [Frown]
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by ben:
fears about talents that have peaked, potential that's already starting to show a little half-empty AA battery in the corner of its screen.

You only need to write one good book to be a contender, though. I don't know if anyone's ever plotted a graph with quality of book on one axis and age of author on the other, but I bet the line climbs steadily upwards until you hit around 70 years old when it plummets.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

ralph is obviously an abuser.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

Blacky is obviously an absentee father.

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+