Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » wordslutz (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: wordslutz
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as the person who organises the PhD vivas and the ensuing paperwork, I have to say I have not yet seen the grade breakdown that Modge was told.

Fact that I tell the nervous researchers in ill-fitting suits awaiting their viva: the only person in our department who ever failed didn't listen to their supervisor and ignored all advice. The examiners are just there to check you know what you're talking about and didn't make the results up.

I was telling Thorn he should look into doing an MA and possibly going into lecturing, as I reckon he'd be good at it and would probably enjoy it. Do you know how competitive it is for jobs as Arts lecturers, kovacs?

I won't finish my BSc until I'm 28, so wouldn't start a PhD before I was 30 if I decide to go down that road. Depressing.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post 
I just dug out the piece of paper that I got with the grading details on it, and it is listed like I said, but I think that the letters are more for organising the list into items rather than being 'grades' like with A-levels &c.
kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
I only know about "Arts" in the broader sense of Arts and Humanities but I presume that's what you mean. I don't think Thorn would get a job in HE without a PhD. With an MA I think you could get a job in FE. I also think he would be good at it and enjoy it, though I suspect he might fuck a couple of students.

--------------------
member #28

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, duh.
Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
though I suspect he might fuck a couple of students.

I dunno, certainly he wouldn't be as physically attractive a proposition as the other, much younger and fitter, students swarming the place in their hundreds and it's not like he commands enough respect to appear mentally attractive. Even if he did, that would go out the window the first time his class saw him being thrown out of the union for pissing himself at the bar (which, let's face it, wouldn't take long). All in all, I'd say Thorn's as safe a bet as you could hope for if you're an HEI looking to avoid a "sex for grades" scandal.

Note: I'm genuinely wondering if I've crossed a line here, advice and recommendations welcome.

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post 
i failed my viva.
there we go.

i had to do a resubmission without rexamination. which meant i had to pay 300 pounds for the feeling of being kicked firmly in the head.

i got my thesis back and went over it with my internal examiner, and i don't know how/why it was even submitted. it was shockingly bad. sloppy, badly written, poorly presented. my superviser never sat down with me and went through it like my internal did.

but then we didn't like each other towards the end.
i'm not apportioning blame, because it was as much my fault as his. but i do wish that i'd spoken to my internal more frequently than i had.
expensive lesson there.

Vogon Poetess

quote:
Originally posted by Bamba:
I dunno, certainly he wouldn't be as physically attractive a proposition as the other, much younger and fitter, students swarming the place in their hundreds

The ratio of boy students to girl students on an English course is about 1:95. Another reason why my degree was such a waste of time.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Modge
Too cool to post
I'm sorry to hear that damo. I'm glad you were able to get some help from your internal, but as for speaking to them more I thought that you weren't supposed to have contact with your examiners before your viva, especially not about your thesis?
damo
TMO Member
oh.
maybe different in da sciences.
but you can go to the internal and ask for advice on presentation etc. like before submission.
where i done did my phd, we had mentors, my mentor was also my internal. but i never saw him.
i would advise anybody now, if you have such a thing, USE IT.

Modge
Too cool to post
I see, thanks for explaining. I can use anyone as an examiner, so long as I haven't had "a close professional relationship" with them, but discussion of the thesis before the viva is not allowed.

good luck with the resubmission.

damo
TMO Member
i've already resubmitted.
i did that last year.
that's why i'm now in da usa being like the mad one scientist.
:grr@nobodyknowingwhati'muptoface:

:toomuchcoffeethismorningdamo?:
:perhaps: [Eek!]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Surely you're all aware that 'resub' is the most potent and vexatious of academic curses? As in "Raaaaah! You fucking resub monger!"

--------------------
sweet

Modge
Too cool to post
y'know damo, I thought it was odd when you posted that you had to resubmit because I had thought I remembered you finishing. Then I figured that you must have got the job on the basis of you having finished and submitted, but not viva-d, and then later found out you needed to resubmit.

wow my mind makes up complicated theories when it should just read just a little bit more carefully. Great trait in a phd student, the inability to read closely...

so, um (and I'm sure I said this at the time) congratulations!

kerplunk
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for kerplunk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by damo:
where i done did my phd, we had mentors, my mentor was also my internal. but i never saw him.
i would advise anybody now, if you have such a thing, USE IT.

It's the same where I am and I have also never seen my mentor/internal apart from the first week in my first year. Occasionally I pass him in the corridor and skulk past him looking down at my feet in the hope of avoiding all eye contact, although, I don't think he'd recognise me anyway. The thing is he's got nothing to do with my field of research and I've got all the help I needed from my supervisor along the way. What you said is a little worrying though.

Also, does anyone know about the submitting procedure? As far as I understand it, you give notification of intending to submit (around 3 months before submitting) then have to submit by a certain deadline. What happens if you miss that submission deadline?

Vogon Poetess

quote:
Originally posted by kerplunk:
Also, does anyone know about the submitting procedure? As far as I understand it, you give notification of intending to submit (around 3 months before submitting) then have to submit by a certain deadline. What happens if you miss that submission deadline?

Go to your departmental postgrad administrator and get a list of important dates (ie Mphil transfer to PhD, six month/ twelve month progress reports etc) on the timescale of PhD studies at your institution, so as not to fuck things up and CREATE MORE WORK FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

--------------------

kerplunk
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
quote:

Go to your departmental postgrad administrator and get a list of important dates (ie Mphil transfer to PhD, six month/ twelve month progress reports etc) on the timescale of PhD studies at your institution, so as not to fuck things up and CREATE MORE WORK FOR OTHER PEOPLE.
That all sounds like an awful lot of work to me. I think I'll just wait until I'm written up then wander into the secretary's office and stare blankly when they say I can't submit on that day.

No!

I do actually know there's a submission deadline in mid January but the question about notice of submission remains (I think it's November), what happens if you don't submit by the date in January?

Vogon Poetess

Every uni does it different, innit.

I know that here a lot of students are funded by grants from EPSRC, and they insist on submission within four years, or they ask for their money back.

I really would recommend finding out about submission criteria; you may learn useful things about number of copies, acceptable binding, signatures necessary for any paperwork- if you're submitting around Christmas time I bet loads of important people will be on holiday and thus unable to sign any paperwork.

This must be the dullest thread deviation ever.

--------------------

damo
TMO Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
quote:

That all sounds like an awful lot of work to me. I think I'll just wait until I'm written up then wander into the secretary's office and stare blankly when they say I can't submit on that day.

No!

I do actually know there's a submission deadline in mid January but the question about notice of submission remains (I think it's November), what happens if you don't submit by the date in January?

listen to veep.
and talk to your fucking internal. your superviser isn't the be-all that you want him to be.

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
Sexist.
damo
TMO Member
to say:
ambulanceosireno.
do not worry about starting your phd late.
so what?
its not that big a thing.

by the time you finish you'll be what 32? apply for jobs in da states and you'll be the same age as all the grad students finishing their phds.
simple innit?
and i'm sure i've said this all before.

why does nobody listen to me?

damo
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Astromariner:
Sexist.

whats wrong with being sexy?
kerplunk
TMO Member
Right, I've been along to find out and *shock* they actually have a booklet on the whole submitting procedure (along with useful titbits of info about formatting etc), who would have thought it! There are 4 submission deadlines a year, January, May, July and September for those who are interested.

I still don't see how my mentor/internal can help me much, surely like someone said above they can't be allowed to read or have anything to do with your thesis before your viva.

[ 07.09.2004, 11:50: Message edited by: kerplunk ]

damo
TMO Member
oh for fucks sake. i feel like i'm banging my head against an academic shaped wall here.
your internal will be able to help you and give you advice on how your thesis should be written and presented. and its always good to get a second opinion on these things. its much like submitting an article that gets peer reviewed. you could for instance, talk to him/her (better astro) and ask them whether a chapter outline looks ok.
you could also talk about experiments and see if they're presented in the right way.

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by damo:
an academic shaped wall

I didn't know academics had a particular shape.

Though I tend always to think of them as textured of tweed and smelling of musty books and pipe tobacco. Still, doesn't count as a "shape" exactly.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

damo
TMO Member
nah.
that's old academics.
the new breed are fleece wearing,thermos cup toting,action sandal sporting, backpack strapping, map reading hikers and adventurers.

trust me.

me however, i'm frightened of the outdoors.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the new breed are fleece wearing,thermos cup toting,action sandal sporting,
Unanily true. In my old department there was a bloke who pioneerd the action sandal/chunky hiking sock/labcoat/bumbag ON TOP of labcoat look. To be seen in next months Vogue...
kovacs

Eh excuse me I am currently dressing for work like something out of Gangster #1.

--------------------
member #28

damo
TMO Member
alright i'll kwalify shall i?
i mean biologists/molecular spods.

no doubt you're not going to brighton to see the faces, you are one of the faces. [Cool]

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
I am currently dressing for work like something out of Gangster #1.

Camel coated **** .

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

kovacs

It is too hot for the coat just yet.

--------------------
member #28

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
A bit belated, but surely snaffle is an extremely satisfying word. As in...

I shall sneak into the kitchen and snaffle the last piece of pie.

Imagine my horror then, when I realised that the dictionary definition is totally rong!

snaf·fle n.
A bit for a horse, consisting of two bars joined at the center, as by a joint.

tr.v. snaf·fled, snaf·fling, snaf·fles
To put on or control with a snaffle.

Bah!

[ 14.09.2004, 04:49: Message edited by: Abby ]

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
Jape (n)

As in jolly jape.

Imagine the difficulty I had keeping a straight face, even whilst facing a thrashing with a tawse, when my headteacher asked me whether my infraction of some skoolrule was a jolly jape.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
A bit belated, but surely snaffle is an extremely satisfying word.

Oooo. Snaffle good.

I don't know if it counts as a proper word, but I've always liked Snafu .

[ 14.09.2004, 06:04: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
Another good word is dirigible, the proper word for blimp. Brilliant!

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:

I don't know if it counts as a proper word, but I've always liked Snafu .

[Cool] Thanks for this BR - I came across snafu for the first time in a Margaret Attwood book the other day. I guessed it was along the lines of 'fubar' but couldn't quite work it out (apart from the 'fucked up' bit at the end).

[ 14.09.2004, 06:42: Message edited by: Sidney ]

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+