Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » noobs needed (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: noobs needed
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
I don't agree that because people make friends in real life, there must be chatty threads on the board. I'm friends with quite a few people on the board but I think you would barely know it from reading my posts: if I want to tell them about my life or hear about theirs, I email or text them.

I didn't actually say that though did I? What I said was that if people were friends on the boards then they may interact differently with someone they don't know in real life, but that most people had strong enough personalities to be able to debate with their friends.

I actually almost went on to use you as an example of someone who has made friends with people from the boards but how I was sure that didn't stop you from debating with them. (I wish I had now because I look like I'm only citing it after you said it!)

quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
It might be countered that there's room for different types of thread. However, right now I think there is more of what I would consider inconsequential, wasteful, trivial threads of interest to nobody but the few people posting at the time, most of whom edit their posts out when they sober up anyway. This kind of thread swamps the board and sucks down good content.

There will always be chat threads though, that is just the human way and the weekend drunk threads have been a tmo-tradition of which you yourself have been part of many times kovacs. I don't think there are any more of these "lesser" kind of threads at the moment, there just aren't enough other threads going on and the reasons for this are myriad, as we've discussed.

[ 09.11.2004, 14:21: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
OK fair points and I have no further argument with them for the moment!

--------------------
member #28

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been around here for ages, for several of the reasons mentioned above. Firstly, my work/home lives have been pretty hectic, so it hasn't left much time for posting anywhere at all. Secondly, I popped in a few times and saw the same old threads that had been hanging around for weeks, with just a handful of posts added to them, half of which were either 'X' or aimless insults. Nothing inspired me to add my tuppence worth in any case. I don't think it's noobs that are needed, but rather the general apathy needs to be lifted.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Bye, then. Thanks.

--------------------
sweet

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, my post count is going - through the roof -

!

Every sentence brings me one step closer to a post of merit.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Bye, then. Thanks.

Case in point.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Kovacs! Look! There's two threads about dogs. Non-one can complain about The State Of The Boards now, can they?
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
Oy. You brought dogs into my Christmas thread. You're as much to blame as anyone else.

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Plus Carretta is back, which is a start.

[ 10.11.2004, 09:46: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I'm new, if that helps the state of the boards in any small way.

Though obviously only new to this board, not new to the world - a fine distinction, but one which had stopped me from jumping up and down and shouting "I'm new" like a crazy fool.

Anyway IMHO, the boards don't seem ready to be overtaken by tumbleweed drifting in the wind just yet. Gratifyingly, when I started a thread a few days back I got quite a few responses - none of them saying "piss off newbie". Although, I'm giving it time....

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
hello OJ [Smile]

--------------------
uberwench

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
piss off newbee...

just kidding, hello [Big Grin]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
hello benny [Smile]

--------------------
uberwench

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread somewhere on the board (announce I think, I’m on 56k dial up and Romeo Must Die is on in a minute so I’m not going hunting) Kovacs begins...

“I did what pretentious people refer to as my first degree in Norwich, so I think I have a grasp of its essence.”

Or similar.

This is the 10 November 2004 equivalent of ‘pretentious? Moi?’ Similar Delboy-intellectualism is here:

quote:
Kovacs:
If there is one decent, thoughtful, fast-moving and provocative debate thread per week, that -- supplemented by daily dips into Barbelith -- is enough to placate me.

Well I’m glad of that. Because if this is you in placatory mood...

quote:
Kovacs:
I think there's a culture of banality on the boards -- and perhaps a subculture of secret resentment below it -- because people are being either dully, or dishonestly, "nice"

...I wouldn’t like to see you ornery.

Is there a subculture of secret resentment on here? I know I’m the worst person to ask having only attended one meat where I spent most of the time saying ‘No?’ and ‘Fuck! Really?’ because being a provincial I didn’t realise the amount of screwing around at that time (which may make me sound subculturally resentful). But I don’t think there is a subculture of resentment – I think it’s fairly surface – and there certainly isn’t a culture of banality.

I fact, I think you would have to be fairly hard up your own ass to say that.

Phrases like that display the fringes of academic excess – the brainiac bully. "You are not talking about things in the way I expect you to be talking about things, therefore you are shit. Also, I know you are shit and secretly you know you are shit and you should be damn fuckn grateful I’ve taken the time out of my day to come down here and tell you. O, and if you argue, I’m fuckn good at criticism. So kiss my synapse." Bollocks.

If OJ and funkypurplepants want to talk about being newbies, fine. If louche and bamba want to argue, faux argue or extend their online personalities, fine. If you want to talk about somebody who paints in period, fine. Every board needs a Tom Paulin. But not some muscled-up Paulin who fancies himself as the message board Simon Cowell.

suzie
 - posted      Profile for suzie           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting information with an outline of generic community structure and classification.

By 'posting' this link I slink from Lurker to NuBee.

Some of us slink and some of us sink. Fuck it! Hello TMO.

--------------------
You bet your sweet ass!

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
hello elvis *blushes becomingly* [Embarrassed]

--------------------
uberwench

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
hello suzie [Smile] - Sorry, elvis was on top of me when I made my last post!

--------------------
uberwench

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Hello all.
suzie
Tata for the welcy's.

I've cause to reason that chittatting is a scarlet rendering puppypaux in these parts.

Can't complain as red is an exciting colour.

--------------------
You bet your sweet ass!

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
Magic! About a Boy is on. Nobody told me this. I love About a Boy. And then the break came on and I turned over to watch Jet Li kill a girl using Aaliyah as the weapon! Life doesn't get any better. Unless Jayne Middlemiss is giving you a turbo suck in a brewery with a big screen. While Liverpool beat Man United. And Maceo and the Macks play 'Across the tracks'.
69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
AND YOU REPLY TO A THREAD AND ONLY FUCKN JONESY IS ON THERE!!!!!!!
New Way Of Decay

Not true.

--------------------

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
I can't believe it seems like we have a new cool girl here! This is so exciting!

Hey Jonesy.

I'm going to stop saying hello to everyone soon.

Actually, I have to go and dump someone.

brb

--------------------
uberwench

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Sorry, the news is on. Just killing time.

[ 10.11.2004, 17:42: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
lol

--------------------
uberwench

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 69 Comeback Elvis:

“I did what pretentious people refer to as my first degree in Norwich, so I think I have a grasp of its essence.”

Or similar.

This is the 10 November 2004 equivalent of ‘pretentious? Moi?’

What was wrong with the passage you semi-quote above? I don't know if it's accurate because if you're too lazy to look it up I'm not going to check what I said, but it seems reasonable to me and a few people posted in response without finding it a problem.

quote:

Similar Delboy-intellectualism is here:

If there is one decent, thoughtful, fast-moving and provocative debate thread per week, that -- supplemented by daily dips into Barbelith -- is enough to placate me.

Again, I don't really see what you're getting at. I suppose what you mean is that I aspire to seem clever and don't manage it: like Delboy aspiring to be classy and comically failing. But I wasn't trying to be clever. I write very fast on here and rarely edit; the fact that I have more posts on here than anyone else indicates the tossed-off speed of my average contribution. That's just how my sentences come out.

You don't like them, it seems, but you're making yourself look either criminally hypocritical or chronically blinkered here. Your post, after a bewildering broadside out of nowhere, turns into an argument that there's space for everyone on TMO, whatever their style, and anyone who says otherwise is a big bully -- yet this is founded on a wholesale slagging of the way I write and the things I say.

So there's room for everyone but me, right? Nice of you to wander back from the wilderness with that positive contribution.

quote:
Is there a subculture of secret resentment on here? I know I’m the worst person to ask having only attended one meat where I spent most of the time saying ‘No?’ and ‘Fuck! Really?’ because being a provincial I didn’t realise the amount of screwing around at that time (which may make me sound subculturally resentful). But I don’t think there is a subculture of resentment – I think it’s fairly surface – and there certainly isn’t a culture of banality.

Why admit that you have no grounds for making any intelligent comment, then make it anyway at the end of the same paragraph?

quote:

I fact, I think you would have to be fairly hard up your own ass to say that.

You just said you're the least expert witness you could think of. Now you're able to pronounce that there's certainly not this, and certainly that, and anyone who disagrees must be a wanker.

quote:

Phrases like that display the fringes of academic excess – the brainiac bully. "You are not talking about things in the way I expect you to be talking about things, therefore you are shit. Also, I know you are shit and secretly you know you are shit and you should be damn fuckn grateful I’ve taken the time out of my day to come down here and tell you.

So if that's a bad thing, how do you justify a post telling me I'm not talking about things in the way you like, that I'm some kind of Argos-intellectual, that I'm a braniac (thanks!) bully, that I'm shit and also up my own arse, presumably looking at my own shit and "researching" the excavation of it for my next post?

quote:

O, and if you argue, I’m fuckn good at criticism. So kiss my synapse." Bollocks.

As I never say anything of this nature, I think this kind of comment just reveals the insecurity of the person making it. I don't think I ever post saying I'm fucking good at criticism. It must be you who thinks I am, and you who feels somehow threatened by that.

I don't ever post with some caricature of you, do I -- "I'm 69 Comeback Elvis and I'm really clever so I'll kick your arse with my big intellect". I wonder why not. Perhaps it just doesn't occur to me to see you that way.

quote:

If OJ and funkypurplepants want to talk about being newbies, fine. If louche and bamba want to argue, faux argue or extend their online personalities, fine. If you want to talk about somebody who paints in period, fine. Every board needs a Tom Paulin. But not some muscled-up Paulin who fancies himself as the message board Simon Cowell.

Thanks for the kind-of compliments. But your argument is wack, as I pointed out above. (O sorry! bit of an "academic" phrase there. Maybe if I worked in a butcher's I'd use meaty metaphors. I suppose when people write in a hurry, they just tend to grasp for the kinds of language we tend to use in our jobs and in the rest of our lives.) Anyway, your argument. So there's room for OJ to say "I'm new", there's room for Louche and Bamba to do whatever they like. But there's not room for me! There's a room for you, which is nice...you went away and you found it unchanged when you came back, even if you chose to stomp about it throwing things. But no room for me!

How you justify stepping on a soapbox to tell the board what it "needs" and what's "fine" on here defies belief. What's even more staggering is that you feel you can do that and in the same breath, without recognising any contradiction, tell me I'm domineering, bullying and surplus to TMO requirements.

The board clearly provides space for a whole range of different expression. That goes on whatever you or I think. Even if I did attempt to police or regulate the boards, it wouldn't make any difference; people will post whatever pleases them. I merely said what kind of thread I liked to read and which I found boring: a lot of people offer that kind of opinion without getting pulled up and dressed down.

A strong post emotionally, but you look puffed out and ugly because of it.

--------------------
member #28

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
First time in ages I wish I didn't have a girlfriend, Marcus.

Go TMO!

New Way Of Decay

Did you hear that?

--------------------

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
Aw Jonesy. Why call me a lurker (which I am) and then edit. Hey. I wrote a KB song for George W Bush JUST FOR YOU. Well, inspired by your rap on the BM birthday thread. I tried writing a BM rap reply, but it went shit. Anyway, the KB thing goes a little somthing like this...

You’re looking at it all wrong, baby
Your eyes can see but your heart is blind
You’re thinking bout it all wrong, darling
You got a total eclipse of the mind

It’s not complicated like Maverick and Goose
It’s an American homily, like Footloose
Remember Ren and the Reverend Moore?
Good and evil in another war

Bin Laden silenced their rock and roll
Saddam unplugged all their amps
We’re not taking oil, we’re bringing guitars
These are schools of rock not army camps

(hello ko)

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
My ex-husband is called Marcus.

--------------------
uberwench

suzie
‘FUCKN JONSEY’ sounds like a jazzy response to the lazy old salute.

‘How are you, mate?’
‘Fuckn Jonsey’

Is that for borrow, Elvis?

--------------------
You bet your sweet ass!

New Way Of Decay

Byte it like hip-hop yo.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+