Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » hello (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: hello
damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post 
right.
well i make it 23:50 and i've just got back from one of the best nights i've ever been to. i've jsut got back from seeing kris kristofferson at the mother church of country. the ryman auditorium. in downtown nashville. it was his first solo spot there. and i've never felt so emotional. i wasn't just watching it for me, i was watching it for my dad as well. dad got me into kris. and i felt more than a little upset that he wasn't sat next to me, grinning like a loon, singing and clapping and cheering at "me and bobby mcgee".
for a man of 60 odd years, he still manages to have this bright burning flame that is fuelled by his guitar and harmonica.
he started at 7:30 and finished by around 10:30.

he just amazed me. i know all his history about being born into a family life that predestined him for some form of greatness, being a rhodes scholar, being in west point, dropping out of the military. yes he followed a privelged ideal of being some wandering minstrel. but fuck me ma. fuck me.

i sat in the ryman last night not just watching his show for me, but watching it for me and my dad. so that i can tell my dad, how kris sounds when he sings "with the windscreen wipers slapping time". how he told the joke about johnny cash saying "jesus has written a song called "why me kris?"". how he went from (my favourite song) "sunday morning coming down" into "the silver tongued devil".
how listening to a man who knows what and where and how the song works. and seeing him do it. and then within the holy church of country be playing songs that make reference to ghandi, king, malcolm x. how this wars fucked up. how this government is fucked up.

and then play "take the ribbon from your hair" and later on "for the good times". and a million and one songs in between. and have me doing the man cry, where its getting to me and i'm not letting any fucker see it, but the thought of me seeing kris, in the ryman, in nashville and my dad not being there, and him playing all the songs me and him love, and my lips trembling, and i can only see out of one eye, and i've tilted my head so the tears drip onto my shoulder and i can secretly wipe them away. and as he's singing "sometimes i cry because i'm happy". and then i'm thinking fuck it i don't care i don' fucking care. this man is some link between me and my dad and i don't give one. i'm not weeping and wailing and i'm not sobbing quietly, i've just got a tear in my eye man, and i'm wiping it away at the end of each song, and i'm clapping, and laughing and smiling and thinking.

i'm just thinking, why the fuck is my dad 4000 miles away doing a job i don't want him doing when he could be here? for one night only? this would mean far more together than apart. and i have to tell him tomorrow that i've seen the motherlode and i've felt it and its touched me and that maybe just maybe if my dad could play these songs to my mum. then maybe she'd get it. maybe she'd understand why, why that dad, even though he's got fuck all to do with the american dream or the american life, maybe she'd just maybe understand what it is that speaks to my dad. and maybe she'd get a little more understanding as to how he feels.

and maybe i wouldn't drink so much

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
I think your supposed to ask a question. I'll make one up:

what did you do last night and do you wish your parents were there

I envy the closeness you seem to have with your dad damo, I don't think I'd want my dad anywhere near most aspects of my social life, he keeps telling me to get aids tests too. brrr.

Last night I went to our singers twenty first, and it was good! I chatted utter SHITE at her younger sister all night and got to sleep with her! Sadly so did our other guitarist, in a single bed, as you can imagine it was cramped and we all woke up with sore necks. And headaches. She was dead pretty like, I gave her a kiss on the cheeck when she left in the taxi cus i like fancied 'er a bit ;D I think she thought I was a leper. In fact I know she did, for when it landed upon her cheek she patted me on the leg and gave me a kind of withering "you dont stand a chance you freak" look. NINENTEEN YEAR OLDS ARE SUPPOSED TO FALL INTO MY MATURE ARMS. ye so much for that.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Im very glad my dad wasnt there telling me to "be more confident" or "ask her out" or make remarks about her sexiness. brrrrr. my mum would have sat drinking tea on her own, so no great lose.

[ 12.11.2004, 07:24: Message edited by: jnhoj ]

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
I was drinking myself insensible for most of yesterday afternoon and last night in a variety of hostelries, culminating in a blurry train ride back to my house. Once we'd arrived, my drinking chum immediately put all of her afternoon's clothes purchases on at once. Clad daringly in a blue t-shirt, green woolly scarf, maroon hoodie and ruby red round toed satin stilletos, she spent 2 hours scrutinising each and every one of our several thousand wedding photos (just arrived! 7 months late!) whilst eating all my convalescence chocolate and crying.

As it happens, both of my parents phoned during the evening's festivities: my dad to tell me that someone had given him a "beautiful cabbage" which he was that very moment braising in raspberry vinegar per a Mrs Beeton recipe he'd found, and my mum to enquire about the health of my terrifying post-operative frankenbreasts. I do miss them both very much, (ETA: my parents, that is. Not my breasts. Although I miss those a bit too) and I won't get to see them at Christmas this year either, which makes me sad. Still, at least I won't have to try any of the braised cabbage: that sounds gruesome.

[ 12.11.2004, 07:54: Message edited by: Astromariner ]

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
why dont you auction the bits they woped off on ebay? "Excellent condition: two mammaries"

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
that sounds pretty cool, jhonj. I can see why you wouldn't want your parents there, although perhaps with of extra encouragement, you might have been a bit more bold with the young lady?

Ha ha, last night I went drinking with some people and there was a beautiful german girl, and she invited me to a party! Fancy dress though, so I've got my work cut out. It's themed around 'D'. Darth Vader might be an option, but I've only got a day to sort something out. Anyway, after a night of flirting and flogging such dynamic conversations as "my favourite german word", and "I once went to Germany", I returned home only to find I was keyless. And so began hours of attempted housebreaking. With hose pipe, wires, and twigs, I tried to open the door by hooking things round the catch on the inside. No dice. So I attempted something which I had previously seen in "Splinter Cell", using one wall to brace against another wall, and make upwards progress. I got about two and a half storeys up the side of my building, bracing against the neighbours building, but I couldn't get over the wall that would have given my access to the back yard. In hindsight, this is a good thing, as I think I would have ended up stranded on this tiny wall, two storeys up, crying like a child. As it was, a bloke who lives in my building came back from a late shift around three and let me in, but I still had to do the old spiderman routine across the back of my building to get in my room. Thank God I was drunk enough to get the balls to do it again.

parents

No. They wouldn't have been impressed by the climbing. It would probably have worried them a bit, and disappointed them that I still do things like this. My Dad would have been semi-pleased about the German girl though, but had he been there, I wouldn't have felt quite so at ease. I think that he'd probably have been quite critical of me, as chances are he would have got drunk and flirted with the girl as well. My Mum would have enjoyed it, and would have got on well with one of the other girls, as we used to go to school together, and my mum would have asked her all about her mum.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn your quick fingered ETA Astro, I was just about to make that joke and tell jhonj off for being insensitive when the passage I quoted changed before my very eyes! [Mad]

Oh well, I shall satisfy myself with this

quote:
Originally posted by Astromariner:
la la la *TING*!

--------------------
uberwench

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Last night I did sweet buggery*. Apart from an epic 5-way. On msn that is. Do I wish my parents were there? Not on your nelly.

*Um, as in sweet bugger all. Not sweet buggery. (That was Sunday.)

--------------------
uberwench

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
lol @ Benway's m4dd cat-burgling 5killz

Astro: hope your convalescence is comfortable and refreshing. [Smile]

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 

[ 12.11.2004, 08:44: Message edited by: Sidney ]

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
it's fucking quiet here, isn't it.

(it's fucking quiet here, isn't it-)

isn't it-

it-

it)

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
Also! I watched 'Old School'. Whilst this is not a film I would recommend to anyone, it did contain a scene featuring an assortment of men doing cheerleader style synchronised disco dancing, which made me smile. So not an entirely terrible evening, then.

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post 
last night i was at work. it was alright, i saw a woman in a really beautiful coat of grey velvet which i couldnt take my lustful eyes off. (the coat, not the lady, she was a bit of a ming but boy! did he have good taste in coats!) i wish my mum had been there because she reallllllly loves opera, it makes her all bright-eyed and swoony and talkative. now if i get her comps she is utterly in love with me for 36 hours and gives me fags and red wine and tells me what disgustingly pretty hair i have.

i dont have to go to (w)irk today! i am going to have a glass of wine right now! at 2 oclock in the afternoon. then i am going to tidy my room to belle and sebastian or maybe pet sounds.

[ 12.11.2004, 08:35: Message edited by: discodamage ]

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
the wine is horrid. [Frown]

--------------------

ben

Haha good! Serves you right for boasting about not being at work.
discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
i wasnt boasting! i was being breathlessly gleeful at the idea of not having to go to work on a friday evening and being able to have fun with the 925ers for once in my life. and now my glee is soured and fizzing like so much vinegary cab sauv. you h8er, ben! its not my fault youre about to become a father and will not be able to have a glass of wine before 9pm FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

--------------------

Astromariner
thanks ben!

Uber: I'll deal with you later. :pique: I don't know how yet, but I will. And you will feel the terrible force of my pique, and you will be chastened. And I will laugh like this: "ha! ha! ha!", but boomier, like a GodLaugh.

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
I'll look foward to it, Mistress

--------------------
uberwench

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post, damo. My folks are in the process of moving house and my old man has given me his collossal C&W vinyl collection. Mrs. Mask is livid. Said collection contains a dozen or so Kris platters. I'll look out Silver-tongued Devil (my favourite Kristofferson album) and give it another listen in tribute to you and your old man's excellent taste.

--------------------
sweet

damo
TMO Member
if you find sunday morning coming down. play it on a monday.

or as kris says in a nother song "i'm fed up of wishing sunday was monday".

ben

I will tell little Osbert/little Chastity it's "Daddy's Special Ribena."
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by discodamage:
a father and will not be able to have a glass of wine before 9pm FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

LOL

Right.

--------------------
sweet

damo
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
I will tell little Osbert/little Chastity it's "Daddy's Special Ribena."

yeah michael jackson used to do to the same sort of thing.
Black Mask

Those were 'Daddy's Special Kola-kubes'.

--------------------
sweet

damo
TMO Member
'dro pops?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
So Shreddies keep hunger locked up till lunch do they? Well they should come with a warning that says Hunger will come kicking and fucking screaming from the depths of Hull riding a black steed that licks flames by approximately three O clock

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Last night my parents insisted on watching a programme on C4 about Lord Lucan. What a waste of a Sky subscription.

Astro, you know like on Richard & Judy weight-loss features they hold up slabs of pig lard in front of desperate dieters and tell them THIS IS HOW MUCH FAT YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE, did they show you the excised tissue and say THIS IS HOW MUCH YOU HAVE LOST as you came out of the anaesthetic? I would, if I were a surgeon. Hope you are feeling well, by the way.

On the subject of carving knives, I saw on This Morning this week a woman talking about having mimsy-surgery, after two 9 lb babies. It was all very smoothly handled by Philip Schofield, but I couldn't help wishing it had been done by Richard Madely, who would surely have found several excellent opportunities to embarrass his wife.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

New Way Of Decay

If I'm not mistaken, they incinerate whats taken out.

--------------------

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was fat, premenstrual and grumpy on the sofa, all night. It really was hilarious actually, the degree of evident PMT. On the tube on the way home, I couldn't decide whether to laugh, cry or eat chocolate. When I got in, I flumped onto the sofa and demanded Bandy dance to entertain me. I cried when he wouldn't. Then I curled up very small under a duvet pretending to be an otter and getting annoyed when Bandy suggested that the otter under the duvet might want to get up and help with the washing up. The otter banged around the kitchen for a bit, prodding the George Foreman grill slyly with a skewer when Bandy'sback was turned, and managed somehow to make a nice sauce for our steaks which were cooking on the aforementioned grill (Bandy was staring at the steaks and the George with an expression of nigh on sexual pleasure on his face). Retired to the sofa to hurl abuse at the end of Van Helsing (shouting 'WHATEVS' every time he enjoyed yet another ridiculous escape from death/appalling bit of dialogue), and then got obsessed with the idea of reading poetry to Bandy whilst he tried to enjoy M. Knight Shangalangalang's much rubbished followup, 'Signs'. The otter was totally ignored and started crying, retreating under the duvet saying, 'I don't know I'm just sad. Do we have any chocolate? I can't believe you don't appreciate this poem. You philistine. Murgh.'

Today I am attempting to appease the situation by eating chocolate and taking codeine.

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
It was all very smoothly handled by Philip Schofield,

Fuck me, the mans talented.

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I couldn't help wishing it had been done by Richard Madely, who would surely have found several excellent opportunities to embarrass his wife.

I saw that nutter interviewing Ringo a couple of weeks ago. He just started rambling on, some incredibly complex question, at the end of which Ringo just said, "I have no idea what you've just asked me!" and then turned to Judy with a sort of save me from this imbecile look.
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sidney:
Also! I watched 'Old School'.

I wouldn't recommend this either, but how funny is the bit at the beginning when the guy at the wedding's singing, 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' with swearing in it?

I fuckin' need you tonight...

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
ginormolol@scrawnotter, perhaps the little otter will like the story link I have put here? Is definitely an under the duvet story this one.

Also, never ever listen to "Amazing Grace" played on a Moog synth if you value your eardrums and sanity, no matter how much you love "Popcorn".

[ 12.11.2004, 10:17: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

Astromariner
I've never met you, scrawny, but the thought of you being a pre-menstrual otter made me do a hearty lol.

quote:

did they show you the excised tissue and say THIS IS HOW MUCH YOU HAVE LOST as you came out of the anaesthetic?

Sort of! I remember waking up in a blissed-out morphine haze in the recovery room, and the surgeon's cheery face looming over me (he has the looks and mannerisms of that guy out of Marion & Geoff) telling me he'd taken out 1.5 kilos. 1.5 KILOS! I was well impressed, and oddly proud. Although he didn't show me the tissue, the student nurse who was allowed to observe the operation was kind enough to fill me in on the finer details afterwards, saying "that was really interesting. I didn't realise how fatty and gloopy breast tissue is, and what they do to the actual nipples". I was like "wow. thanks."

[ 12.11.2004, 10:27: Message edited by: Astromariner ]

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I was on the "date from hell". If any of my family had been there to witness it, I would have been mortified. Although I could have done with a hug from my Gran when I got home. As it was my lovely MSN late night chat buddy cheered me up no end! Hurrah!

I'd love to be closer to my family, but we're just not like that. Other than walking on the coast path etc with my gran, I can't imagine actually doing anything like going to a concert with my lot.[I was brought up by my grandparents though, so maybe it's just a generation gap thing]I am hoping that my daughter and I will be really good friends, as well as having a parent-child relationship so that we can do stuff together when she is older.

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Benway Re: Emergency cheapo Darth Vader costume.

Black shoes/trainers
Black trousers
Black top

Do you own these already? Good. Then you will only need to purchase the following:

Black Bin liner for cape
Black Bucket from 1poun <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=shop&v=56">shop</a> for helmet
1 red umbrella for lightsaber

You may want to cut eye holes in the bucket, and possibly paint, or tippex on a Vader Mask onto it, but even without these it's quite effective.

Note: Bucket also allows for Darth Vader breathing and voice impressions.

[ 12.11.2004, 10:35: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+