Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » a thread for girls: turn to the left! (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: a thread for girls: turn to the left!
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverGinger5:
That means there is no red in it, and equal parts of blue and green. So yes it is both blue and green.

A pedant would say that teal contains blue and green, but is neither.

Teal's way Windows 95, isn't it?

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
RGB = 0, 128, 128
CMYK = 86,31,49,8

The RGB values suggest that Teal is poised on the exact cusp of blue and green....making you all right.

Obviously I'm basing all calculations on a [gulp] Microsoft standard Teal - as used in basic font colour options etc. I wonder if there's a Linux Teal....

Perhaps I should nip into HB and kindly request that all descriptions conform to the nearest shade on the websafe colour palette.

ps. I fear that the use of a car as an illustration may be a little misguided. Completely different lexicons I would imagine. Please feel free to correct me, if you're the owner of a butter-soft caramel runaround with chocolate bumpers and a walnut embellished dashboard. Mmmmm, my kind of car.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
eta: Teal is a blue based green. Anyone got the pantone code for that?

I used to be a colour co-ordinator designing the colour schemes for toys. Just to fuck up your theory, in my Pantone chart book teal was always listed in the greens. Cerise was in with the pinks. We all know that Pantone is the colour law.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post 
Teal defines
an enormous ocean that angrily throws fresh water pearls
upon the sandy shore,
bony hands and lips show frozen veins
as though life is a numbing freezer,
patient days go by quicker than ever
as beautiful airy clouds turn heavy with rain,
the sadness of a dispirited being
who was shunned from the face of the Earth.
Teal.

according to Chelsea Nugent

OJ
I fucked up my own theory (cross-posted with Miscallaneous Files above).
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
Teal sounds like one awesome mother fucker. I wouldn't call his mum teal-blue down a dark alley.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
[QUOTE]Discodamage's look on the other hand is telling me....

- She's not brand driven? Could be a No-logo reading leftie. Or might not be...

no, im not in the least; yes, well done; but also- too poor for top shop, let alone gucci.

quote:
- She's quite feminine but maybe with a sense of irony (schoolgirl socks, ballerina shoes)[
lol, im quite feminine in so far as on the butch/ femme lesbain continuum, im femme. but then that really means nothing unless you compare me to most butch lesbains. compare me to your average handbag fashion dolly and im hufty from the word.

quote:
- She's younger than me. Maybe early 20s (again schoolgirl socks)
too old for the socks. damn. we're pretty much the same age, oj. but i dont know how to grow old gracefully. also according to raz i look about 12.

quote:
- She doesn't feel the cold or isn't in the UK. T shirt and cotton skirt in this weather???
or...the computer is in a room with central heating, and not in the middle of a field?

i did buy a coat today! 20 pounds from h and m. it is purple wool and has a hood.

quote:
- She doesn't work in a formal City or law type office environment. Perhaps a student or in a creative field. But probably not an ultra-creative field as her look isn't all that pretentious.... (unless that T-shirt is by an obscure japanese designer and the belt is home-made from lacquered liquorice allsorts)
i am a charity volunteer, bar supervisor at an upscale london cultural destination, and a writer.

so not bad, missus.

quote:
eta: Teal is a blue based green. Anyone got the pantone code for that?
my newmittens are also teal,but theymake the skirt look even bluer by comparison.

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
I was out tonight wearing

a navy blue Next shirt
over
a mud-(or better, moss?)-green Zara t-shirt
and
indigo Levi's, never washed and barely worn but a couple of years old in style, and so in a conventional, regular fit.
and
black chunky Cat boots with black socks
plus
a Nato-issue "coat, cold weather, man's field", big zips, waist-length, padded out with a lining that matches the tshirt.
teamed with
a black rucksack from John Lewis

Now, I maintain that this outfit does not reveal my job at all. What does it really tell a stranger?

CONCEIVABLY:

• that I don't realise the navy and moss-green might not be the best partners. I did get dressed in 2 minutes and rush for a train.
  • that I am favouring fairly conservative, safely smart casual high street menswear.
  • with a slight "military" spin that might make me feel more "tough".
  • that I am unadventurous with colour.
  • that I am either not on my way to or from work, or that my work doesn't require me to wear a suit or a uniform.
  • that I am not going to or from a job of manual labour.
  • that I am not going to a dressy club or restaurant.
  • that I earn enough to not shop at Woolwich market, and not enough to shop at Paul Smith.

I don't honestly think you could get much more than that, and that information is also misleading. On my money I could still choose to shop at Woolwich market, and I could afford to shop at Paul Smith too. That I have chosen to do neither isn't to do with my salary but my attitude towards appearance and investment.

I don't strictly have to wear a suit for work, but I choose to. I was going to a venue on Wardour Street to meet people from work, but as it wasn't a work day, I wasn't dressed as I would have been for my job.

Does that outfit tell you I have a PhD? I don't think it says much about education. I don't think it even tells you whether I have a BA or not. It might distinguish me from someone who left school at 16; I'm not sure.

Does it tell you whether I am working or middle-class? I don't really think so. A BT engineer could wear that during the evening, going for a drink; so could someone with a job in publishing. Does it tell you about my family background? Again, I don't think it does. Does it tell you what area I live in? Or "belief systems", that term I keep coming back to, like how I'd vote, or what I think about Iraq, or whether I give regularly to charity?

So apart from certain psychological and character traits that I'm allowing you could possibly read correctly from what I was wearing tonight, I dispute whether that outfit would provide you with a language through which you could place me socially in anything but a very general way -- ie. not very rich and not very poor. And even those categories, as I said, aren't entirely safe because I could have dressed with more class or more slum: that I didn't is a sign of my attitude to clothing, not my money.

--------------------
member #28

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm wearing:
dark blue regular fit (nonbootleg) gstar jeans
a green h+m tshirt with holes at the bottom that look like hot rock burns. but can't be as i haven't smoked in years. so its either moths or my old belt chewing it up.
black framed glasses.
a green and white checked h+m shortsleeved shirt missing a button and in need of an iron.
a grey uniqlo crewneck sweatshirt.
black merrell boots.
a black army field jacket (think travis bickle in black).
a grey wool hat.
no bag.

what does this look like?
does it say "student" "worker" "inconspicuous"?

it certainly doesn't say "student" here. what with the majority of male students popping collars, wearing abercrombie jeans and flip flops.

does it say worker?
possibly. certainly not a creative type. or indeed the kind of person who is required to look smart. however the jeans are smart. maybe the tshirt and shirt are a sign. do they indicate that he's going for the "just got out of bed look"? why yes. his hairs unkempt and he appears to have forgotten how to shave. the glasses look like he wants to be an individual but forgot that emo is in. he may have been going for smart and everyone else is going for morrissey 2k4.

does it say anything about my class background?
i don't know.
if anything the look i was going for was/is scruffy but with good stuff.

i'm thinking its a functioning outfit to get me through the rigours of molecular biology, yet still look different from the mds and the grad students and mark me out as english at the same time.

i know for a fact when i replace the boots with white adidas campus it goes all retro.

[ 02.12.2004, 17:19: Message edited by: damo ]

kovacs

Maybe we have really similar jackets.

--------------------
member #28

damo
TMO Member
maybe.
i think we're both looking the same but from different start points.
and with different references.

kovacs

Your look sounded better, to me. But if we were dressed kind of similarly today, and yet are very different in many respects including geography, that supports the idea that an outfit doesn't necessarily provide a visual key to someone's lifestyle.

--------------------
member #28

damo
TMO Member
well i'm not sure, becuase its only the addition of boots that makes our looks very similar.
i'd normally wear trainers (sneakers language fans) and that really makes it different.

we'd look similar but if you were interpreting properly you'd pick up on the nuances and the starting points.
maybe.
i don't know.
really.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
I would see the difference of the jeans immediately, and the boots, but then I'm very down with "scruffy but with good things".

I think it's very important not to overlook the way in which people wear clothes, I'd be surprised for example if Kovacs can do convincing, natural looking, scruffy.

It's just occured to me that I'm wearing exactly the same clothes as last Friday:

quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
Dark grey and red DCShoeUSA 'skate' shoes
Black Primark socks
Black Calvin Klein cotton shorts
Dark Blue denim Carhartt jeans
Mid-grey Triple 5 Soul T-shirt
Black Canvas Boxfresh jacket

Only today my black socks and black cotton shorts/trunks are from M&S.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone answer me this?

Why is Phillip Green (BHS) always bigged up as some sort of retail genius whenever Marks and Sparks gets its regular kicking?

BHS has always struck me as a total shithole with fuck-all worth buying... and everyone I've ever discussed the subject with has either agreed or made the same observation.

How did this Green/BHS=awesoma thing come about - or is BHS in the south of England somehow totally shit-hot?

Bailey

- posted      Profile for Bailey           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Can someone answer me this?

Why is Phillip Green (BHS) always bigged up as some sort of retail genius whenever Marks and Sparks gets its regular kicking?

BHS has always struck me as a total shithole with fuck-all worth buying... and everyone I've ever discussed the subject with has either agreed or made the same observation.

How did this Green/BHS=awesoma thing come about - or is BHS in the south of England somehow totally shit-hot?

Isn't it because the older ladies love BHS and the younger ones love TopShop and Dorothy Perkins?

--------------------
Maybe you're the mugs.

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:

I think it's very important not to overlook the way in which people wear clothes, I'd be surprised for example if Kovacs can do convincing, natural looking, scruffy.

This is so ironic because whenever I'm at home I look like someone who'd be sneered at by Oxfam assistants.

I am wearing

• powder-blue button-neck baggy top from Next 1995 (this is actually not in bad condition though it soon will be) over
  • faded, stained ribbed navy blue v-neck t-shirt, Principles 1999 (I'm sure Principles for Men closed that year)
  • black tie-waist baggy leg-things... like a cross between pyjama trousers and tracksuit bottoms. The label is a little red arrow, probably Primark or something. They have a massive split in the back, at arse, revealing
  • faded black boxer-trunks, Next 01
  • hair in a kind of "Young Einstein" electroshock
  • a blob of Dr Haushka's Rejuvenating Face Mask on a red bit of my cheek
  • an edging of toothpaste (blue and white one) around corners of mouth.
  • ragged toenails on bare feet

Go on what does that tell anyone about the fact that this morning I am grading undergraduate essays.

[ 03.12.2004, 05:49: Message edited by: kovacs ]

--------------------
member #28

OJ
quote:
Originally posted by discodamage:

quote:
- She's quite feminine but maybe with a sense of irony (schoolgirl socks, ballerina shoes)[
lol, im quite feminine in so far as on the butch/ femme lesbain continuum, im femme. but then that really means nothing unless you compare me to most butch lesbains. compare me to your average handbag fashion dolly and im hufty from the word.

Well I didn't get that you were a lesbian from the outfit description. Which would tend to suggest that the theory has some pretty big holes in it. But then that's a whole different question....

Since I started this particular strand of the thread I should probably take part myself....

Today I am wearing:

- Apple green v neck fine knit (Whistles)
- Standard brown flat front trousers (H&M)
- Brown high heeled boots just visible under trousers (Topshop)
- Jewellery (3 rings and a watch)
- Glasses (supra style)

Out in the cold this morning I was also wearing

- Emerald green cloche/ beret (vintage/charity shop)
- Heavy green silk scarf shot with dark fuschia (bought on holiday)
- Ankle length black wool coat in the style of Darth Vader
- Black leather gloves

Grianagh

- posted      Profile for Grianagh           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm curious, where do subtle fashion accessories fall into play here?

by subtle fashion accessories i mean

hairstyle, cut
perfume,cologne,scent
make-up, skin appearance - tattos, peircings, etc

surely if we form social/economic opinions on one's clothing we also form opinions by one's scent, hair,nail, skin condition?

an example.

subject wearing:

a grey oversized man's t shirt beneath
a grey Hanes sweatshirt worn inside out
dark bootcut denim from Zara
wooly socks, no shoes

based upon above i'm sure a few opinions could be formed.

however - do those opinions change if the following subtle fashion accessories are noted?

haircut and style - 500 quid plus
perfume - couture, subtle
skin - spa advocate, no visible peircing, one visible tattoo
jewelry - simplistic white gold wedding band

or did we cover this already?

kovacs

I think my account of OJ's attitude to fashion was pretty good, going by the above run-down. But OJ! you are getting a 2 out of 2 strike-out at reading the language of English let alone the language of fashion. Not only is London female, Discodamage is no lezzer.

edit: the idea of fashion including the way your body and hair are styled is valid. I always notice girls' nails, for instance, and reckon it into my assessment of them if they're manicured (inc. what type of manicure).

[ 03.12.2004, 06:26: Message edited by: kovacs ]

--------------------
member #28

OJ
Oh dear. That'll be the hangover brain. You wouldn't have got that I have a hangover combined with evil menstrual cramps and nausea from my outfit would you?

Still, it's a good thing that calling someone a lesbian isn't an insult these days isn't it? [Wink]

Boy Racer
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
This is so ironic because whenever I'm at home I look like someone who'd be sneered at by Oxfam assistants.

Ah yes, but I think the significant factor in your statement is "at home".

I still seriously doubt that you could look naturally scruffy outdoors, in the world.
In defence of this claim, I'd suggest that this:

quote:

[*]a blob of Dr Haushka's Rejuvenating Face Mask on a red bit of my cheek

Is the dead giveaway.

--------------------

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I play too?

Who am I:-

I've got on a pink, cable knit Fat Face jumper over a simple grey long sleeved cotton t from M&S. Evisu bootcut jeans. Trainer type shoes in silvery grey with kind of elastic laces from Clarks. Purple undie's set from M&S. Socks - grey cotton from Laura Ashley.

Kovacs, I've never imagined you to look scruffy either. I would imagine you always manage to give off a kind of scrubbed look whatever you are wearing. You know, kinda wholesome.

OJ, you sound to me - well, a bit like me actually. Like to look nice, and can afford to buy a few designer items, but not an entire wardrobe full. You sound quite serious and no-nonsense too. Not too frivolous in your dress but with the odd quirky item.

As for BHS, I very ocassionally go in there if I need "blouses" for under my suit at work and some of their sports wear is actually pretty good. But as a general rule - unless you want a crimplene 2 piece, don't bother. By contrast, their homeware stuff if fantabulous!

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

kovacs

quote:
Dr Haushka's Rejuvenating Face Mask

thank you Handbag Beauty forum!

and thanks Saltrock for bringing underwear back into the arena. I think it is such a cop-out when the HB Fashion girls just detail their outer garms.

--------------------
member #28

saltrock
Well, you guys are splashing your Calvins around the place.

Also, Kovacs, do you remember the date of purchase of all the clothes you have?

--------------------

Grianagh

quote:
edit: the idea of fashion including the way your body and hair are styled is valid. I always notice girls' nails, for instance, and reckon it into my assessment of them if they're manicured (inc. what type of manicure).

glad it's not just me that notices such things.

in your example above, what opinions do you form of someone with manicured nails? of someone without? if said person is wearing high fashion clothing but ragged skin/nails which fashion aspect would weigh your opinion?

i tend to form opinions by scent. this is most likely related to my acute sense of smell. if someone is dressed in rather unique and creative clothing but wearing a cheap/trendy/inappropriate-for-the-occassion scent i take away 'mental fashion points'.
if a person is wearing scruffy clothing but is fresh faced and aromatically appropriate = points in favour.

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I tend to mentally mark down women with manicures, especially French ones with square tips. Who in their right mind would paint on a white stripe thta's already there? Madness.

Fashion question: I'm shortly to go to an interview. What's a better outfit? Three-year-old slightly too small suit, or new bouclé wool pinafore dress over blouse? Underwear irrelevant in this instance.

Bailey

- posted      Profile for Bailey           Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting about noticing someone's scent. Can you discern particular perfumes? Which ones are good and bad?
For me it's about whether or not someone looks comfortable, or if they're playing at dressing up. I'm quite envious of girls/women who can do the chic-smart look well because I simply cannot wear heels.

I once worked with a transexual for two years before noticing he had breasts and long fingernails, so I'm clearly not very observant of these things.

--------------------
Maybe you're the mugs.

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Grianagh:
in your example above, what opinions do you form of someone with manicured nails? of someone without? if said person is wearing high fashion clothing but ragged skin/nails which fashion aspect would weigh your opinion?

I am always quietly impressed by a girl having clearly neat, shaped and polished pale-pink nails -- though a massive claw painted with palm trees, Black Brockley style, doesn't have this effect.

I would say, though I haven't thought about this consciously before, that skin and nails are more fundamental to beauty and general presentation than are clothes, so I'd take those as my priority guidelines to whether the person I'm looking at cares about their appearance. Looking after your skin and nails is more of a basic, primary regime that doesn't vary day to day. You could quite easily be having a scruffy day clothes-wise, but you wouldn't be likely to have nicely cared-for skin and nails one day, and rough them up the next. Having said that, I find I can assess a girl's make-up at first glance also. I wouldn't judge someone negatively for clearly having no make-up on, but it is factored into an impression of them and in turn, into my idea of the impression they are wanting to give.

It's also fair to point out that someone can only do so much about their skin, and that of course them having a spot doesn't mean they are necessarily "dirty" or careless about appearance. Nails are something you can do a lot more about.

My nails are not all that, actually. I have had a couple of manicures in my life and I am aware that my nails aren't really at a professional standard most of the time.

quote:
Kovacs, do you remember the date of purchase of all the clothes you have?

I was only really pointing out that certain things I was wearing are "old", in some cases to the extent that the shop doesn't exist anymore. In the case of Levi's I think it helps indicate the style, because they're not those anti-fit cut -- which again didn't exist when I bought the jeans I referred to.

[ 03.12.2004, 07:57: Message edited by: kovacs ]

--------------------
member #28

Boy Racer
quote:
Originally posted by saltrock:
You know, kinda wholesome.

Lol.

--------------------

kovacs

-

--------------------
member #28

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
Note the sweat forming on his brow as he refuses to take his coat off in the sauna.
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a quiff?
Grianagh

quote:
Originally posted by Bailey:
That's interesting about noticing someone's scent. Can you discern particular perfumes? Which ones are good and bad?

yes. i have a knack for being able to not only 'name' the scent someone is wearing but also top notes, overtones, middle medleys or any additional 'scent static' - i.e body lotions, hair spray, chewing gum, fabric softner.
while this is a great party trick, it's also aggrivating. especially when ill.

calling a perfume is good or bad is complete personal preference. i favour classic scents with very few layers. oldies but goodies.
some scents, especially inexpensive trendy fashion scents, have a tendency to break down quickly and leave a not-so-subtle chemical odour. that odour mixed with perspiration and ..oh,fruityflavoured hairspray.. would make me suspicious of someone in say...an interviewing situation. too many conflicting messages.

i would (embarassingly so) probably even assume that a person careless with scent layering would also wear cheap and/or mismatched fundies.

gawd i sound horrid.

saltrock
quote:
Originally posted by Grianagh:

calling a perfume is good or bad is complete personal preference. i favour classic scents with very few layers. oldies but goodies.
some scents, especially inexpensive trendy fashion scents, have a tendency to break down quickly and leave a not-so-subtle chemical odour. that odour mixed with perspiration and ..oh,fruityflavoured hairspray.. would make me suspicious of someone in say...an interviewing situation. too many conflicting messages.

i would (embarassingly so) probably even assume that a person careless with scent layering would also wear cheap and/or mismatched fundies.

gawd i sound horrid.

Ha! I do this too. There are some cheaper perfumes that give me a headache to the extent that I will leave a shop if someone else in there is wearing a particular perfume. And it's always the cheapy ones. And yes, I too would imagine them to be wearing greying Primark briefs. And a non-matching bra.

I think that keeping your nails nice is just a sign that you like to be well groomed. If I had on my best outfit ever, it would still feel a bit scruffy if my nails were broken or dirty and unpolished. A bit like your hair being a mess I guess.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+