Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » New Year, New You!1 (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: New Year, New You!1
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment I'm reading Dr Benway's book Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I think it's "good", although there's nothing quite as much fun as the description of the 30 year old lezzing up with the 13 year old in Norweigians Would, although that was pretty much the best thing I've ever read that wasn't posted on asstr.org.
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
Vikram - fair enough. In which case, unequivocal advice is plough on with MA, and simultaneously spend the next eight months bumming round on the EU and European Commission websites. Loads of jobs, they'd fall over someone like you, and you get to move somewhere like Brussels and leave the pressures of London life behind for a bit. Only drawbacks would be the seriously long application forms and the possibility that you might be anti-Europe, in which case you could still bring down the system from the inside.

Bandy looks like an Easter Island statue.

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

imnotthatclever
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for imnotthatclever           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vikram:
i used to have a future [Frown]

Benny, we should totally become terrible drunks, old before our time. i could be your uncle Monty.

Or Vikram (et al & jokes apart) - you could end up being me.

A fifty-something has-been despised by the very people you court as some sort of .....whatever. And you know what moononline thinks of me.

All you have to do is give up - and feel sorry for yourself afterwards.

Better still, surely Vikram, is to see this one through?

But then I would say - think a bit harder before the next thing: it isn't necessary to keep up setting barriers to leap, you know?.

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks everyone.

i'm being an idiot.

this email made me think:

quote:

Here is my honest opinion. You have the wits and smarts, but you clearly lack the focus that you need to puts your talents to realization. Sure, quitting school is an option, but if memory serves me correctly, you quit school once before, you have a tendency to stray, pick up and leave when things go wrong or not your way, and you bore easily.

However, based on these facts, I think you do require some discipline or focus on something, even if you don't like it. If you quit school and intern here, work there, you will be in the same position next year as you are today. How long will it take you to finish school? Another year, maybe two? I would definitely commit to the MA because it offers cachet, will broaden your career/job choices, and you'll highly likely meet more and new interesting people in an environment outside of your comfort zone. Even if you didn't like your major, you could switch to something else, but I think going to school will put you on a track to...ugh, for a lack of a better cliche...success.
Quitting simply is not an option.

If you're looking to add value to your life or career than I recommend that you explore your options WHILE going to school. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Nowadays, schools appear to offer countless opportunities for you to: 1. Work abroad. 2. Intern/work experience with prestigious companies 3. Build your network. If you're not feeling happy about the chosen career path, suck it up! It's not as dramatic as you make it seem, and like i said before, there are things you can do alongside. Play in a band. Paint. Intern for another company twice a week. Brush up on your design skills. Whatever, the world is at your fingertips and you're young enough to have these
options... take advantage of it.

When i was in school, I was working f/t and interning. If I can do it, you can as well.

Am I lecturing?

We often lament and bitch and moan about our problems--that's easy to do. What IS difficult is
finding the solution to your problems and sticking
with it, right?

Your +/- list has some vallidity and you make some
strong arguments, but in the end, I have the impression that you're bored and looking for an easy escape. Stick with school, get your real life in Hoxton, and find a happy medium. You're in charge of your own life, so make something out of it... damnit!!

So that's what I think you should do. But if in the end you decide to quit, have a plan of action before you do anything drastic. And this plan of action. Give yourself a clear indication of what you'll be doing for the next 6- and 12- mths. Small short-term goals which lead up to something that you want to achieve or arrive at.

And stop fucking procrastinating.

friends are good.

it's just that, having lived in a bubble for so long, living without any real goals or structure, it's really hard to adjust (boo hoo). and i look at my peers, where i live, my life, and i'm thinking being a student doesn't fit, working full-time does. which is silly, but i know i could.. oh i fucking don't know anything.

it wasn't meant to be like this! lol [Frown] i think the main problem is i simply don't see myself going anywhere. i mean, i can't imagine having potential, thriving, success. it's all just so overwhelming.

anyway, enough of this whining. sorry all. i'll just have to figure it out and bloody commit.

[ 04.01.2006, 10:12: Message edited by: vikram ]

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmph, shame about that BFI course Benway, although I suspected as much. 45 is brilliant isn't it, and of course he's got the new one out now.

Can anyone recommend any good graphic design and web design courses/colleges?

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was an art terrorist.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

vikram

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I wish I was an art terrorist.

ahem

-

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we could get a friend of Banksy's to post on TMO.

--------------------
sweet

Dr. Benway

yeah but not like banksy. A real one.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

imnotthatclever
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for imnotthatclever           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
[QUOTE]anyway, enough of this whining. sorry all. i'll just have to figure it out and bloody commit.

I am going to repeat this, because we are not all whatever every/anyone sets themselves up on here to be:

Do what you have to do to get through the next stage - but THEN remember it really isn't necessary to keep up setting barriers to leap, you know?".

There's a lot of flannel and self-seeking on this site, vikram. Don't look to it for a self-image.

Good luck for next year.

vikram

hey thanks man.

you're right of course.

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scrawny:
Bandy looks like an Easter Island statue.

Oi! You reserved that insult for one of the handsome gays from the TV program with the ranch and the girl and the secret homos. [Mad]

[ 04.01.2006, 11:07: Message edited by: Bandy ]

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Vikram - I think your friend's advice is so good you should print it out and tape it to the back of your bedroom door.

Have a think about the sort of life you'd have if you quit the MA for "full time work". To flesh it out for you, allow me to use my writerly powers to imagine how you'd feel a year or so down the line...

*screen goes wobbly*

down the line...

the line...

the line

quote:
Hallo! My name is Vikram and I'm in full time work. At first it was kind of exciting and liberating to just float about, meeting new people and earning alright money. Now it's more like...pathetic and embarrasing. Turning up at the agency, starting new jobs with a friendly grimace and a limp handshake. Hi this is Vikram and he's going to be covering for a while. The job I was given just before this one involved counting paper clips.

Even though I know that I have to do this thing, and in a month I will be sitting in front of a different computer, I can feel a repulsion in my chest that grows stronger with every new CV I write, every apologetic smile as I'm given my new set of instructions. I can't just stop getting up in the morning, but it feels like self harm to carry on. It's not that I want to do anything else - I just want to be a couple of eyes peeking over a duvet at a film on TV. Feet walking through central london. A mouth receiving beer and fags. So, the same as I did last year, I'll just resort to distractions, cloud my thoughts, lie to other people so I'm forced to believe it myself, and continue to get up and carry on with this death by a thousand cuts.

Don't be like my imaginary Vikram there... you don't find direction by quitting something, you find it by starting something - even if it's in the cracks at the beginning or end of the day.

By completing the MA, you'll get - at the very least - a sense of accomplishment that the vague "full time work" alternatives can never provide. Think about it.

Black Mask

I say, quit the MA. Maybe dabble with heroin.

--------------------
sweet

vikram

Become an art terrorist...
vikram

Okay Ben! Yes.

After May I have no classes anyway. That's only 4 months.

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:

Everything you need to know about Graphic Design is here
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Black Mask's idea is the best. And it's the one you stand most chance of achieving something in!!!
Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I say, quit the MA. Maybe dabble with heroin.

Black Mask's right. William Burroughs' parents were still giving him pocket money well into his thirties, which allowed him to travel and write without having to work, and we don't hold it against him.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Black Mask is like Phil Mitchell to Vikram's Dennis Watts in Friday night's EastEnders.
Black Mask

No one ever takes my advice, though. Look at imnotthatclever, she's still alive...

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:

If you want to get into web design, you need to get clued up on XHTML, CSS and standards compliance. I can heartily recommend *this WestCiv course which I completed through work last year. Also, the world is really short on web designers at the moment, so now is the perfect time for you to get started!
Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
No one ever takes my advice, though. Look at imnotthatclever, she's still alive...

And I never actually did carve TMO on my clit.

Sorry about that, BM.

[ 04.01.2006, 10:53: Message edited by: Louche ]

Black Mask

Gah!

--------------------
sweet

Dr. Benway

I bet banksy didn't do any faggy course.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Black Mask

Banksy doesn't do any faggy art. He commissions faggy art students to do it (faggy) for him.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
BM, are you deliberately trying to get Gods Plumber to come back?
Dr. Benway

If you hang on, BR, there's bound to be a "Unlock the Secrets of Graphic Design" DeAgnostini series coming out soon.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Black Mask

Not available in the West Country.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Louche. Yes.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Black Mask. Why?
Black Mask

Louche. I don't know.

Ben. Did you get Sam a Scalextric?

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Black Mask. Stop it.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
I fucking hate 2006 so far. It's the Year of the Cnut. And not in a good way.
omikin
Jo det ska jag tala om för dig
 - posted      Profile for omikin           Edit/Delete Post 
go on ben, tell 'em what sam got for xmas.

--------------------
i shot a man in reno
just to watch him die

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+