Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Punk rock is 30 years old this month! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Punk rock is 30 years old this month!
Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post 
The punk movement celebrates its 30th anniversay this month. It was way back in July 1976 that the UK punk scene really started when the Sex Pistols and the Dammed played together on the same bill and the UK music press started an interest in the fledgling punk scene. July 76 was also when American noise merchants the Ramones toured Britain giving the fledgling UK punk movement a much needed boost. Sniffin' magazine the first UK punk fanzine also started at this time.

The word punk had first been coined in America as far back as 1975 to describe a group of bands playing at the underground venue called CBGBs in New York. And was the title given to magazine of the same name covering the scene. To celebrate the anniversary here are some archive videos for you to watch:

The punk rock movie released in 1977 filmed mostly at the ill fated Roxy Club in Londons Covent Garden which closed in April 1977 after just four months.

Some videos of the Ramones Americas first punk rock band.
 -
The first issue of punk fanzine Sniffin' Glue which appeared 30 years ago this month.

[ 21.07.2006, 08:23: Message edited by: Harlequin ]

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
*faints*

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
Napalm Death is a grindcore/death metal band formed in the village of Meriden near Birmingham, England in 1982 by Nicholas Bullen and Miles Ratledge. The group are generally acknowledged to have been the first group to invent the grindcore genre. However, the band progressed from these beginnings after their first two albums and became a death metal band, by which time the band no longer had any original members. Indeed, the history of the band is one of constant member rotation - and by the second side of their debut album Scum, they did not contain any original members.

Members of Napalm Death have moved on to form bands such as Carcass, Godflesh, Cathedral, and Scorn. Additionally band members have formed numerous side projects, including Painkiller, Brujeria, Lock Up, Meathook Seed, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine and Jesu.

Although Napalm Death was the first band who actually coined the word "Grindcore" to classify and define the type of music that they played, others had previously played very similar music. Groups such as Siege, Larm, Heresy and Cryptic Slaughter were also playing a similar fast and brutal style of music. However, Napalm Death cemented the fusion of punk aggression, high velocity tempo, metallic production and deep gutteral vocals that later became synonymous with the "Grindcore" genre.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy fuck! Welcome back Harlequin. I passed you a couple of weeks ago when Octavia and I were walking across London. It was on the outskirts of Hyde Park, I think. I didn't say anything, but there seemed to be a frisson of recognition. Glad to see you're alive and well.
Dr. Benway

-

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
Carcass, Godflesh, Cathedral,

Man I love those bands. Especially Carcass. Swansong was re-released a fwe months ago, meaning I was able to hear it for the first time in about 8 years and it's still FUCKING AWESOME.
Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
quote:
Napalm Death is a grindcore/death metal band formed in the village of Meriden near Birmingham, England in 1982 by Nicholas Bullen and Miles Ratledge.

Yes I know. I saw Napalm death at the Mermaid pub in Birmingham together with some other bands way back in January 1987. There lined up changed completely though within a couple of years.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you, Harlequin. What made you decide to come back here after all this time?
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Man I love those bands. Especially Carcass. Swansong was re-released a fwe months ago, meaning I was able to hear it for the first time in about 8 years and it's still FUCKING AWESOME.

If you're into those bands, then you have to check out Pig Destroyer. I've recently purchased '38 Counts of Battery', 'Prowler in the Yard' and 'Terrifyer'. Alternative Press dubbed them, "One of the most important 25 bands in metal." They initially set out with the name 'Cop Destroyer' but, instead, settled for the slightly less offensive slang term 'Pig'.

Oh: the lead guitarist, Scott Hull used to be in Anal **** , as an added bonus.

<->

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Harlequin:
Yes I know. I saw Napalm death at the Mermaid pub in Birmingham together with some other bands way back in January 1987. There lined up changed completely though within a couple of years.

Jesus. Was that back in Lee Dorrian days? My favorite Napalm Death track from that period would have to be, 'You Suffer...'

A track of epic proportions.

Didn't Pig Destroyer support Napalm Death recently? Think they may be touring again shortly. I'll have to go and have a look.

Edited to add: In the original inlay card for 'Scum', the band have kindly included their home addresses and telephone numbers. You wouldn't get many bands doing that these days.

[ 21.07.2006, 07:24: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Good to see you, Harlequin. What made you decide to come back here after all this time?

I just thought I would share those archive videos with people on here, I came across them recently, well a few months ago. There has been a sudden upsurge in interest in punk with the 30th annivsary approaching, so I started to get back into it a bit. I starte posting on this forum a few motnhs ago:
http://www.punk77.co.uk/talkpunk/

Dr. Benway

quote:

<->

presumably it's not actually Brian Harvey from east17 on drums.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

I've heard of Pig Destroyer, but always assumed them to be 'shit' because of the name. I never associated it with 'cop'. I just thought they - you know - really hated pigs. [Embarrassed]

Speaking of extreme metal the new Strapping Young Lad album came out on Monday. It's a bit of a departure from their usual style. I think they accepted that they hit their artistic peak with 'Alien' (greatest piece of music of the last 300 years or so, BTW) last year and just decided to have some fun with their final record. So it's quite a funny album: the song You Suck sounds like an argument on the imdb: "Hell yeah you fucking fuck/ Fuck you you fucking suck!". Far Beyond Metal has a guest spot by Oderus Ungerus from Gwar, and there's a song called Fucker that just seems to rail against, well, everything. But it's all in high spirits> It's alot more accessible than their previous albums - almost poppy, in fact. You wouldn't normally expect to be able to hum a Strapping Young Lad album after first listen (or ever, unless someone replaced your larynx with a steel foundry), but this one actually has some really catchy tunes. So! Not as good as City or Alien, but Devin is still the master and literally way better than anything else out there, in any genre.

[ 21.07.2006, 07:54: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
presumably it's not actually Brian Harvey from east17 on drums.

If it is, then the fucker's been downing more than the occasional pill.
Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
I don't like thrash metal though, so don't think I would like Pig Destroyer. Napalm Death were much more punk during their original line up. They went in a more heavy metal direction after lineup changes. In their early days they were similar to most other hardcore punk bands but with growling inaudable vocals.
Dr. Benway

do you like Oi! music?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
For fucks sake not this argument again. Punk is as old as I am - the term was coined by Legs McNeill (Read Please Kill Me like I told you) and was relevant to the likes of Iggy Pop, the Velvet Underground etc. Malcolm McLaren nicked it after lampooning the New York Dolls to look like communists and was promptly laughed all the way back to the UK where he now advertises Mayonaise.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Waynster

....and throws dinner parties on BBC2 - how fucking punk is that!

Thorn - I saw SYL a few weeks ago - I was very drunk but it was good

[ 21.07.2006, 07:52: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------

Dr. Benway

I liked 'Hey DJ' by Malcolm Maclaren.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Waynster

Didn't he do a song about skipping as well?

--------------------

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
quote:
do you like Oi! music?

Not much but some of it is good. Most of the early oi bands were punk bands to start off with then gained a skinhead following because of song of their songs such as Slaughter and the Dogs "where have all the boot boys gone" and Sham 69s "skinheads are back". And the Angelic Upstarts quoting of "Clockwork Orange" in their song Teenage Warning.
Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Didn't he do a song about skipping as well?

err, yeah. Double dutch I think.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Waynster

quote:
err, yeah. Double dutch I think.

Oh yes, the ghetto kids skipping innocently to a timely beat. Then Rap came along and popped a cap in its ass I guess - can't imagine people like Snoop Dog or Ice Motherfucking T singing innocently of sugar and spice, whilst jumping daintily between a couple of swirling ropes, while their posse clapped along, all smiling....

--------------------

Dr. Benway

no, you're right, they wouldn't, but there's more to hip hop than west coast gangsta...

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
I've heard of Pig Destroyer, but always assumed them to be 'shit' because of the name. I never associated it with 'cop'. I just thought they - you know - really hated pigs. [Embarrassed]

I did initially as well. Glad I delved further though. '38 Counts of Battery' is, as the title indicates, 38 tracks - mostly comprising of lightning drumming, heavy guitar riffs and brutal vocals. It also contains 'Genital Grinder/Regurgitation of Giblets' and 'Exhume to Consume' by Carcass.

'Prowler in the Yard' is a heavier, more concentrated affair, which chugs along nicely. When I heard track 4: 'Trojan Whore', I couldn't help but grin like a buffoon, such was the impact it had on me. Everything I love about metal incorporated in one track; sexy, dirty, lung-jarring guitar riff, tight, immaculately timed rhythmic drumming and unexpected variation (that works - not simply flying off on a tangent forgetting which direction the track had originally embarked) before you are thrust rapidly into track 5.

'Terrifyer' encompasses the sound achieved in the two previous releases and takes it a stage further, leading to their strongest release to date. Can't wait to see them live.

quote:
Speaking of extreme metal the new Strapping Young Lad album came out on Monday. It's a bit of a departure from their usual style. I think they accepted that they hit their artistic peak with 'Alien' (greatest piece of music of the last 300 years or so, BTW)
Sounds like I need to check this out. I've heard of Young Strapping Lad, but I kind of shunned them, thinking that they were yet another twisted Norwegian black metal band with a penchant for paedophilia. Clearly I was wrong.

[ 21.07.2006, 08:32: Message edited by: Zygote ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On 31 May 2005, he was readmitted to hospital in a critical condition after doing the un-doable - according to his PR "he fell under the wheels of his Mercedes Benz motor car, whilst driving" - of this incident Harvey explained, '"I was starving so I baked three jacket potatoes and stuffed them down. They were big. I put cheese on, then tuna mayonnaise and I ate the lot.' Then driving to a friend's house he felt sick, so opened his car door to be vomit. It was at this moment he fell out the car and under its wheels. After his recovery Harvey claimed, 'I haven't had a jacket potato since. I could never eat them again'
!

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
'I haven't had a jacket potato since. I could never eat them again'
!
That is so unfair on jacket potatoes [Frown] Why do jacket potatoes get the blame for everything? Jacket potatoes and Jews. Jumping Jehosaphat.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
Then driving to a friend's house he felt sick, so opened his car door to be vomit. It was at this moment he fell out the car and under its wheels. After his recovery Harvey claimed, 'I haven't had a jacket potato since. I could never eat them again'
!
I've heard that this incident will form the basis of a government sponsored safety advertisement. Harvey will appear in the advert, describing his first hand knowledge of the hitherto unpublicized dangers of eating jacket spuds and driving.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Three jackket potatoes is a lot of jacket potato, innit? I bet I'd struggle to eat three jacket potatoes comfortably and I'm a great jacket potato fan.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
Three jackket potatoes is a lot of jacket potato, innit? I bet I'd struggle to eat three jacket potatoes comfortably and I'm a great jacket potato fan.

That would depend on the size of the jackets. You shouldn't be able to eat more than one proper jacket (the size of a baby's head, takes a good two hours in the oven, thicker skin than Chuck Norris). But some people seem to believe that its poor cousin, the microwave jacket (so small it's barely worth boiling, six minutes and 'ding', skin like a nursing home inmate) is in some way comparable. They are wrong.

[ 21.07.2006, 09:34: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Thorn Davis

quote:
Sounds like I need to check this out. I've heard of Young Strapping Lad, but I kind of shunned them, thinking that they were yet another twisted Norwegian black metal band with a penchant for paedophilia. Clearly I was wrong.

Naw, they're Canadian, for starters. And they're not black metal, they're more industrial. Circa 'City' they were described as 'Fear Factory meets Judas Priest', which is oddly accurate. City's a brilliant album, too. City and Alien are the ones to go for, and - eventually - everything Devin Townsend has ever put his name to.
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Naw, they're Canadian, for starters. And they're not black metal, they're more industrial. Circa 'City' they were described as 'Fear Factory meets Judas Priest', which is oddly accurate. City's a brilliant album, too. City and Alien are the ones to go for, and - eventually - everything Devin Townsend has ever put his name to.

Just looked for both SYL and Devin on Napster and it has neither, fucking shite app....
Waynster

Yep Devin's other projects do differ - he's a real diverse musician, exploring many paths in Rock and metal. Check out Infinity - smashing album (apart from if you want to play one track in the pub as it abrupbtly ends (the songs blurr over the CD markers, or at least they do on my CD)

--------------------

Waynster

Some MP3's are available at http://www.hevydevy.com/

--------------------

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Just looked for both SYL and Devin on Napster and it has neither, fucking shite app....

Go here. Currently listening to 'You Suck' at my desk. My neck is starting to twitch. Heavy stuff.

Edit: 'Detox' is fucking amazing.

[ 21.07.2006, 09:53: Message edited by: Zygote ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+