Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Punk rock is 30 years old this month! (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Punk rock is 30 years old this month!
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
Go here. Currently listening to 'You Suck' at my desk. My neck is starting to twitch. Heavy stuff.

Cheers Z, having a listen now, not bad, as far as heavy goes though the Children Of Bodom album I was just listening to is heavier. This doesn't seem anything like as extreme as Skeksis which is one of the few SYL tracks I've heard before.
Physic
Digital PIMP !
quote:
Edit: 'Detox' is fucking amazing.

Agreed, just listening now and liking it a lot.
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants to check out Pig Destroyer's 'Trojan Whore' that I mentioned earlier, here it is in all its glory.

I really need to grab a pint now. Stupid fucking work.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
Christ, just listening to the other SYL tracks and 'Love' is one of the best tracks I've heard in years.
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Christ, just listening to the other SYL tracks and 'Love' is one of the best tracks I've heard in years.

I agree. It reminds me vaguely of Pantera's 'Mouth for War', but vocally far superior. I'm definitely going to be making a few SYL cd purchases tomorrow.

The comparison to Fear Factory is spot on too.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
What, in the name of holy fuck, is going on?

Hello Harlequin.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Also, who is the second one Misc?

[ 21.07.2006, 16:47: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way here is an interesting fact last years sell out concert at the Milton Keynes Bowl by punk revivalists Green Day attracted more people than the Glastonbury festival, 120,000 people over two days. And yet back in the 1980s people were saying punk is dead. Though I wouldn't say they were the best punk band by far, they just got all the right breaks, but it does proves that punk music does still have market.
Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
fact. lol.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
no, you're right, they wouldn't, but there's more to hip hop than west coast gangsta...

Yes.

I thought the point of punk was that it was an ethos – a DIY style of music killed when production stepped in and shtuck a shneer on Sir William of Idol (the missing link between Donny Osmond and Robbie Williams).

Does that make the lo-fi bands of the late 90s punk? And, ultimately, doesn't that make the 'launch it myself from my website' bands of today far more punk than the polished production of Green Day?

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 69 Comeback Elvis:
And, ultimately, doesn't that make the 'launch it myself from my website' bands of today far more punk than the polished production of Green Day?

Maybe it makes them both equally un-punk?

--------------------
sweet

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
How can Sandi Thom be un-punk? She's got punk coming out her ass. She eats punk. She drinks at the trough of punk and throws handful after handful of punk down her neck.

It's just that old punks can't admit it.

You started the punk, you fuckers, and now look what's happened. You've given us Lily Van Dyke walking rahnd Lundin tahn Mawy Popp-inns.

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Napalm Death, Sick of it All, Sepultura and some other band that escapes me right now, back when I was 16. Was my first show (not concert mind...that would have been the cure), at this place called The Troc. God, that was a long time ago. Also saw one of the Ramones when I was 15. He was sitting downstairs at this club I used to go to. I met Henry Rollins when I was 16, he was doing spoken word at this shitty lil club in Trenton called Shitty Gardens...I mean City Gardens. His neck was huge...
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Amy:
I saw Napalm Death, Sick of it All, Sepultura and some other band that escapes me right now, back when I was 16.

Fuck me, that must've been some show. Just bought Sepultura's 'Arise' again recently. Somehow my cassette version vanished when I moved to my new house. In terms of thrash metal, I'd have to say that Arise is the best example to date. It just pips Anthrax's 'Among the Living'. But only just.

Edit: Fucking useless hungover fingers.

[ 27.07.2006, 04:44: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
By the way this website I found is a virtual encyclopedia of early punk http://www.punk77.co.uk It covers the 1976 to 1978 era.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Good old Harley.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
I found this virtual encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org which has lots of interesting facts. Even about punk!

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:

Check this clip out.

Bought 'Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing' and 'City' a few weeks ago. How fucking typical of me to become addicted to a band whose future currently looks in doubt -- well, according to Wikipedia anyhow:

quote:
As of late 2006, Devin has retreated from the public eye to concentrate on his family and several non-SYL projects, so the band are currently considered to be on hiatus, at least until 2008.
Aaargh!
Physic
Digital PIMP !
Man that's a great tune, the video is pretty amusing too, I actually watched the proper video to it afterwards; Devin is one scary-ass motherfucker when he gets all wild-eyed. Still has the worst haircut in history mind..
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Still has the worst haircut in history mind..

He's the kind of guy that I'd really get on with.

quote:
From the Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing inlay card:
I had finished with the Wildhearts just prior to this, and they were so anti-everything that I decided to take a similar approach while focusing on dissonance and just being as over-the-top as I could. Songs didn't really matter; it was just the intensity and the vibe, plus lots of humour. Screaming and laughing are pretty close, I think, and I have just never been 'hard', so we do what comes naturally, right? Right. Fart jokes it is. I was really stoked on the first two songs as songs, and City eventually was spawned from those, but for the rest... I REALLY didn't give a fuck. I just wanted my brain to stop exploding...

My girlfriend fails to share the same enthusiasm as me, unfortunately -- especially when dropping her off at work at 7.30am, on full blast.

Edited to add: for constant SYL tracks, this website is the best I've ever encountered on-line. Specialities: SYL, Slayer, Metallica, Devildriver, Anthrax, Kreator...

100% 'bookmark fodder'.

[ 05.03.2007, 20:53: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Physic
Digital PIMP !
Also, can't recall if you said you've listened to In Flames before or not, either way this is just one of my favourite tracks of all time, great tune from an outstanding album imo.

Oh and if you've not checked out Insomnium before then this is a great tune. Without a doubt the band I most want to see live right now..

Zygote
TMO's Member
Yeah, I've heard a few In Flames tracks before. That particular song is extremely Paradise Lost/Type-O-Negative-esque. Fantastic. Just listening to the Insomnium track now -- very fucking nice. I've been a bit lazy with regards to cd-buying of late and have clearly missed some unbelievable bands along the way. [Stupid old-skool metal obsessive.]

This is a particularly amusing clip, involving my favourite Kreator track of all-time - 'Phobia'.

Zygote
TMO's Member
Can't get enough of that 'Mortal Share' track. Fucking excellent.

[ 05.03.2007, 22:31: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Physic
Digital PIMP !
quote:
Can't get enough of that 'Mortal Share' track. Fucking excellent.

Yeah the whole album is seriously outstanding, 'Above The Weeping World', if you'd like to discuss where you could, ahem, obtain a copy, drop me a mail, physic77 at hotmail.
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Yeah the whole album is seriously outstanding, 'Above The Weeping World', if you'd like to discuss where you could, ahem, obtain a copy, drop me a mail, physic77 at hotmail.

Have done.
Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
By the way there are tons of old classic punk songs on video at http://www.youtube.com just type in bands names like The Clash, The Damned, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Vibrators, The Rezillos, Sham69, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, Siouxsie and The Banshees etc. I put a long list of classic punk songs in the music forum several months ago to celebrate 30 years of punk.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+