Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Surprising 21st Century Survival Kit (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Surprising 21st Century Survival Kit
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
I can't stand fucking hobos.

Well don't do it, then.
Grrr..
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Do I make you angry, Zygote? Do I?
missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Hobos visit and entertain at local nursing homes throughout Thursday

Poetry Reading at Hobo Jungle

I'm loving the thought of Hobos entertaining old people and reading poety. Aaw, nice Hobos.
Zygote
TMO's Member
No, you don't make me angry, Louche. You know I love you don't you?

*tickles Louche's chin*

Louche
Grrrr
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
Please keep your junior high flirtations off my hobo thread. You're bringing me down from my hobo high. [Mad]
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
I can't stand fucking hobos.

Hobophobe! [Mad]
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
I don't understand what I've done wrong.

Well according to what BM is saying, it should be specifically modern stuff you can't live without. For reference, see his reply earlier regarding music. But, like, pots and pans dude, people have had them for as long as they've had music.

Also, it's supposed to be things you can't live without and by your own admission you've been living without them for nearly two years and still not been suitably bothered to do anything about it...

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
I fantasise, fucking FANTASISE about the day I can walk around Ikea buying bloody pepper pots

Thank God for that - I thought I was some kind of anorak.

I've wanted a pepper mill for ages - actually wanted one rather than it just occuring to me once, so I could get proper pepper, like the water in an Italian restaurant grinds over your dinner, not that rubbish dust you can buy from the supermarket.

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
But benway surely what you're saying is that you need the bag but none of the stuff you actually use the bag to transport? Doesn't that defeat the point of having the bag in the first place? Or is that kind of the point you're making?

What I'm saying, jerkwad, is that I now have so many little electronic things to carry around with me that I need a manbag.
Yeah, right, but, unless all those little electronic thingsyou carry around are also essentials without which you cannot life a normal life, then the manbag itself is reduntant since its only purpose would be to carry electronic devices which you don't actually need.

You see what I mean m8 I'm not trying to be a dick I just don't think you're thinking laterally enough here, y'know?

Louche
I think what NWOD was saying was that he wanted new-fangled kitchen-based culinary technology rather than the types of pots and pans that have been around for aeons. He wants non-stick, teflon coated, aga-friendly, hob and microwave and dishwasher safe pots. The pots he wants are not just pots, they're crafted by outer mongolian iron mongery pots. They're posh pots. They're celebrity chef endorsed pots. They're the mother and fucking daddy of the pot world. They are Pots Of Greatness. Not, like any old pots.

I have an electric pepper mill. Sometimes I make it grind for nothing, because just watching it do that makes my nipples tingle.

Ringo

Ok so what part of that constitutes Things Which Are Essential For Your Life?

I dont' see how you can say you can't live without something which you don't have, and haven't had for 2 years. You'd be dead, or insane, right?

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I have an electric pepper mill. Sometimes I make it grind for nothing, because just watching it do that makes my nipples tingle.

So I should get one then?

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:

Lol.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I was thinking more of things you can't do without, not necessarily new inventions, that you didn't need a few years ago, say. Or things you use today that you would never have visualised yourself needing. Surprises. After all that is the thread title.

Ringo, I said "not necessarily new inventions", you bumbaclaht. Do you see?

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, whether they are essential or not is irrelevant to the fact that I carry them around, and therefore need a bag to put them in. In fact, their continual presence regardless of any real decisions re: their measurable usefuless is in itself indicative of '21st century living' - it's not do I need these things, but rather I need something to carry all these things in.

[ 14.03.2007, 10:10: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Ringo

I'll let Benway off, as he at least owns the things he consideres life essentials. NWoD on the other hand has some explaining to do.
Black Mask

I have the entire Koran tattooed on my penis, I couldn't imagine life without that.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I have the entire Koran tattooed on my penis, I couldn't imagine life without that.

It's amazing what they can do with nanotechnology these days...
Black Mask

I'm getting a bit bored. Someone start a thread!

--------------------
sweet

Ringo

Live would be really unbearable without my own personal jet.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, it's supposed to be things you can't live without and by your own admission you've been living without them for nearly two years and still not been suitably bothered to do anything about it...

Ok, then allow me to explain it to you in detail so that you can understand. I do not own these items and I yearn for them. I yearn for them as often as I cook at home. That's practically every day. I yearn them as much as I yearn a large kitchen filled with modern day gadgetry. I own a dishwasher, for instance, which takes the sting off having to worry about any repercussions of serious grub - The charred black rim of any kind of baked food is a good example. But! I can't plug it in! These things, these things that I crave are something I have experience of over a large period of my life and I miss them. Here's the clincher: I feel like they are a necessity to my well-being. So I've covered the most important things. a) not necessarily modern technology b) surprising c) essential (to my well-being)

I can understand this might be a mystery to you, but can't you realise that over the course of ten years I feel this is something I have to have. The last thing item I bought (a ladle) got melted by one of my other housemates, so I can't trust an expensive saucepan to stay intact. If you have all that fancy gadgetry and only make beans on toast with it, then fine but stop trying to harsh my domestic boner! [Mad]

[ 14.03.2007, 10:42: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Ringo

Oh right, yeah, I get you now. I know the kind of thing you mean. I once yearned for 2 years, waking up in cold sweats in the middle of the night panicking about how my life will never be complete without this one thing. This one thing which doesn't cost a lot of money, which I could easily purchase with just a couple of months of saving at the very most. Yeah, I know what it's like to yearn endlessly for something, yet not just go out and buy it. That makes perfect sense.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Oh right, yeah, I get you now. I know the kind of thing you mean. I once yearned for 2 years, waking up in cold sweats in the middle of the night panicking about how my life will never be complete without this one thing. This one thing which doesn't cost a lot of money, which I could easily purchase with just a couple of months of saving at the very most. Yeah, I know what it's like to yearn endlessly for something, yet not just go out and buy it. That makes perfect sense.

What was it?
Ringo

Furry dice for my car
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This one thing which doesn't cost a lot of money.

Pfft. Shows what you know. Wanting hardcore cooking equipment is never 'just one thing', and it's also massively expensive. I suppose it doesn't really register, if your mum has done all your cooking, every single day of your entire life, but a good set of cooking kit is more than just a case of buying a frying pan for £3 from Morrisons. I mean, even if you're at a point when you can justify spending £50 on a Global chopping knife that's just one knife. You've still got quite a long way to go before your desire is sated, and it's a long, long way from being cheap as a hobby.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Louche
My Jamie Oliver hob and oven safe stewpot cost £89.99. I only know that because I just googled it. I probably shouldn't have looked it up; it ewas a present. I feel a bit guilty for doing that now.

It's a lovely pot, though.

New Way Of Decay

I feel a bit sorry for Ringo. To think a set of furry dice is easily obtainable as something as rewarding as having your own kitchen, to prepare, cook and serve food in just highlights his failure to grasp how suffocating an unhappy environment can be. What can you not grasp Ringo? What part is it you cannot comprehend? The thing I describe is a material object that makes no sense to own right now but on a superficial level would provide me with some inner joy. What shall I do with my dishwasher? I was brought up in a house with one and hate living in a place without one. I own one but can't plumb it in. Should I smash up the landlords kitchen tops to fit it in? Is that the sort of mindless destruction you anticipate to prove something is essential? jesus fucking christ. Do I punch someone in the face for burning the bottom of my Anthony Warrel Thompson milk pan? Do I fillet the eyelids from someone for melting the handle? Or (crazy suggestion) do you just not buy something until a time when it would be more suitable and crave that one thing instead?

[ 14.03.2007, 11:00: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
herbs gave me a box of rusted / broken kitchen utensils as a gift when I moved out of her spare room. In that box was one knife that could still be used. Had a blade of about four inches. That's the only knife I've used in cooking for the last three years. If she ever finds out what a quality knife it is, she'll be gutted that she threw it out.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
since then we got a nicer dicer, but that's 'no dice' in a cramped bedroom situation like mine.

-

Man, what will I do when I can't bitch about vermin and bedsits? I'll have to have some kind of accident so I've got some difficulties to overcome.

Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Lickapaw#2:
So I should get one then?

No-one's nipples are precisely the same (as proved by the nipple sizing fest) so I feel unable at this stage to guarantee that an electric pepper mill would bring you the amount of pleasure it brings me.

I also feel that if you haven't already got a pepper mill, you're aiming too high in the pepper mill stakes for a first purchase. Going from no pepper mill to an electric pepper mill is a bit like deciding to leave the whole 'having first ever sex with a boy' thing and going right into an orgy of four, mixed gender people and maybe a horse.

See, you should start with something like this, preferably stolen in stooodent fashion from your local greasy spoon:

-

Note, this is a shaker, not a mill, so you are starting quite small.

Move up to something like this:

-

This is perhaps the sort of shaker you would think of buying if you'd just moved into your first flat, and felt like expressing your independence and new found maturity through the purchase of culinary equipment. Many people do this, it is nothing to be ashamed about.

Next, you might move on to something a little more modern, a bit edgy. You have friends fround for food these days. You want to look good. Those old shakers are just not cutting the mustard. Or, to the point, shaking the flakes in a trendy enough way. So you get these:

-

And then somewhere along the line, because you're in your own home and indpedendent and shizz, and because people know you have friends round for food and you're you, and you're a little bit quirky, you get these:

-

or

-

Because some people can be wankers.

Then, as you get into the swing of this making food lark, and as yet get experimental and you collect more recipe books and you keep reading the words 'freshly ground pepper', you start to get a need for a grinder. You've got a shaker. Your pepper is substandard. It might be pepper, but it's not freshly ground pepper. It's just pepper. Jamie Oliver would mock your pepper. You feel ashamed. So you get your first mill.

Something like this:

-

Classic. Nice. And oh, isn't freshly ground pepper so much nicer! Oh, oh, yes it is. You're transported into a new world of delight. You don't think things could get any better.

Then.

Then.

Then.

You get the electric pepper grinder. This is what makes your nipples tingle.

-

I wish you luck on your journey.

[ 14.03.2007, 11:15: Message edited by: Louche ]

Louche
That's the most effort I've put into a post in two years and it's about fucking pepper mills. It really is all over for me, isn't it?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I don't know, Louche. An electric pepper grinder is a bit... commmon? Like a teasmade.
Black Mask

lol(1000000 Scovilles)@Louche

[ 14.03.2007, 11:18: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

Optimistic/funny Louche is alright, isn't she?

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+