Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » A Child's First History of Rock and Roll (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: A Child's First History of Rock and Roll
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hepcats of the Music forum.

As some of you may know, my wife and I have a little baby on the way. Unsurprisingly, issues about how we're going to bring the child up have been constantly on my mind since we first 'got the news', as it were.

Anyway, along with all the other stuff like walking, speaking, reading and writing, it occurred to me yesterday (while hungover) that it might be an idea to compile a bunch of mixtapes on the past five decades of rock and roll (rock, pop w/evs) to give the child a bit of a head start, culturally speaking.

Some may think this a stupid idea, but it would be even stupider *not* to at least think it through: instead of leaving this matter to a philistine, untrustworthy, atomised mainstream media (see Benway's promo thread and the bland predictability of the 'top 100') why not set the tyke off in a whole range of different directions while also give he, she or it a reasonable idea of how music has developed since the birth of rock and pop in the 1950s?

What I need to ask you, forum, is this: what would you include on the 1950s tape? I guess we can all readily suggest a couple of dozen tracks for the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s - but the 50s (even to an old-timer like me) still feel pretty distant.

What would be on your 1950s mixtape?

What would be 'essentials' for the other decades?

What would you put on your personal uLTiMaT3 m1XXt4pE for a ligglebaby?

[ 07.02.2005, 09:47: Message edited by: ben ]

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a 3 cd box set of 50's Rock and Roll for xmas, plus a free CD from Mojo of a similar ilk about the same time, neither of which will see the light of my CDplayer - maybe as a welome to the world present for your wunderkind I could send them to you?

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

ben

Thanks Waynster - that's very kind. [Smile]
What's your email address?

Also: which tracks would you choose for the babytape?

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50s artists which will never sound dated:

Little Richard (for pure energy) - Tutti frutti, Long tall Sally, Good golly Miss Molly

Chuck Berry (for skill lyrics) - Reelin' and rockin', Brown eyed handsome man, Memphis Tennessee

50s artists which are dated, but good value if you're in the right mood:

Fats Domino (for nostalgia and simple pleasure) -
Blueberry Hill, Walking to New Orleans, Ain't that a shame

Les Paul and Mary Ford (for the insane techno of multi-track, multi-speed innovation, 50s style) - How High the Moon, Little Rock Getaway, The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
waynster at gmail

Mmm.. from the 1950's I really couldn't say as its its definately not my era. In fact I have always found the glorious 1950's images of American vulgar and tasteless - I even class grease as probably the worst film ever made.

But on to what to make for a mix tape, being non-decade depedant for a baby? I really don't know - I'll have a think...

--------------------

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Hey hepcats of the Music forum.

As some of you may know, my wife and I have a little baby on the way. Unsurprisingly, issues about how we're going to bring the child up have been constantly on my mind since we first 'got the news', as it were.
[/b]

Sorry for the not-quite-on-topicness, but as an aside, when are you due?

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Tom Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tom Boy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good call on the little richard (my dad used to sing long tall sally to me when really small as his dad with him)'Lucille''The Girl Cant Help It' also good call on the selections of my fave chuck berry tunes but you missed 'my marie'? John Lee Hooker 'Boom Boom', 'Boogey Woogey'? Muddy Waters 'Got My Mojo Woikin' 'I'm Ready'. I have quite a bit in my collection of blues and old rock and roll BB king as well as the above, I havent got the faintest idea how to send music to people on'T net feel free to email me tommidob@yahoo.com or tomallport@gmail.com with instructions if im not breakin the law and I will be happy to give you a selection. I am a fervent supporter of cultral encouragement of the young.

--------------------
So bad its good

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like all those slow tuneful ones, like on the third side of the Grease double album. 'Raining on Prom Night', etc. Very good for getting junior off to sleep after too much jiving to Rock around the Clock, I'd wager.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you play it, remember to airguitar along furiously. Especially if they've got mates around for a sleepover.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One name from the 1950s still rings my bell: Bo Diddley

-

Well it's more memorable than Otha Ellas Bates McDaniel.

[ 07.02.2005, 11:37: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I got a decent education in 1950s music just riding in the car as my parents listened to the Oldies station.
I still tune in to it occasionally, and am pleased that my musical awareness is quite a bit broader than my other friends in their mid twenties (don’t say it Scott, 27 is still MID twenties!).
Perhaps you could listen to your local “Golden Oldies” radio for a bit and pick out ones that strike your fancy – who the greats are is so subjective anyway.

BTW, we actually did a bit of playing music through headphones on my belly, but let that drop off a while ago…

Tom Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tom Boy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theres nothing for reverb like an over stuffed babymaker, you might consider going into the effects pedals market

--------------------
So bad its good

ben

Thankyou for your excellent suggestions! How perfectly stupid of me not to remember Bo Diddley. [Mad]

Froopy: 'due' date is 18/03 - D just finished work so is taking a well-earned breather before the 'real work' starts; the five-year programme of pro-house-husband propaganda was, I'm afraid, unsuccessful.

Rooster: my folks exposed me to the "oldies" purgatory that used to be a programme called Sing Something Simple. Never was a radio programme more aptly named. The only two records they ever played were Chanson d'Amour (rat-ta-tat-ta-tat) and that one about "the path was beaten white from footsteps leading to our cabin / and late at night, a hand would knock and there would stand a stranger etc etc" -- think it was about prostitution but cannot be sure, the concept having been alien to me, back in the day. Anyway: no child of mine is going to be exposed to such Easy Listening Hell.

eta: Waynster - I have mailed you. Hard. Right in the g.

[ 07.02.2005, 12:13: Message edited by: ben ]

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben, your next post is going to have to really fucking rock. I hope you've been working on it for years. Honing, refining, delicately chipping away and polishing prose designed to make us all weep.

Because if you of all people waste a 6,000th post with a smilie or a lollol I shall sob.

[ 07.02.2005, 18:38: Message edited by: Louche ]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be of some assistance. I am five-years into a similar project. First things first, the tape for the birth room. Your good lady wife may attempt to encourage you to provide some sounds that she might like to listen to. It is your job to convince her of her selfishness and start the job properly at the earliest opportunity. In the labour suite our newborns were treated to Jimi Hendrix - Nine to the Universe, Lee Scratch Perry - Super Ape and an Ernest Ranglin Mix Tape.

Once home the Masketeers were weaned on a diet of Ramones, Stones and The Clash. Once walking and talking they expressed a liking for Blur's Song 2 (the Woo-Hoo song) and Hurry Up Harry - Sham 69, then Anarchy in the UK and Ace of Spades. 'Angry Music' they called it. They now have a CD player and small CD collection of their own, mainly AC/DC and Motorhead but they have a fondness, too, for Beachbuggy, particularly their excellent single Killer Bee.

--------------------
sweet

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jerry lewis, little richard, carl perkins, bo diddly, chuck berry, john coltrane, cliff richard.

i'll leave you to decide what i think is most important.

ben

quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
Ben, your next post is going to have to really fucking rock. I hope you've been working on it for years. Honing, refining, delicately chipping away and polishing prose designed to make us all weep.

Because if you of all people waste a 6,000th post with a smilie or a lollol I shall sob.

I'm so sorry.

In fairness, the idea I had for a mega-post was basically a short horror story featuring Dr Benway - with the best will in the world, the forum's probably had quite enough of those already.
[Frown]

Waynster

Dang could you be my Dad, circa 1973 please?

I have a scribbled list that I started to put together yesterday - music I would want my child to be introduced to:

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Strange choice, but it's because of the fantastic yet almost contradictory drumming by Mr Bonham (listen and see what I mean) - this would be to hopefully expand the childs awareness to rythmn and timing.

Blitzkrieg Bop- the Ramones
To completely contradict what I said above. Also their cover of 'Surfin' Bird' as I guess this is a song a kiddie would love - It's lyrics are not unlike the teletubbies I guess in a manner, and thus easily adoptable to a toddler.

Angel - Jimi Hendrix
Beautiful, almost lullaby type song, and a perfect introduction to one of the most important people (for me personally) in music.

Then there's a pile to go through from Ian Dury, the Wildhearts (Coz Daddyoves 'em!), Janes Addiction, The Clash, Bjork - I could go on all day, but I am far too busy being a kid to even consider fathering one.

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Ian Dury,

Truesay, but you've got to move fast when Plaistow Patricia kicks off.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by damo:
john coltrane, cliff richard.

What the..?

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
I gave up trying to "educate" my kids in the ways of good music many years ago, but I think a lot of children do naturally enjoy punk/fast rock, as mentioned by Black Mask. My 7-year-old went through a period of listening to The Clash's first album on headphones at bedtime, and he was into the Pistols for a short while too.

My 14-year-old has been buying his own CDs for several years, starting with really shitty boyband singles but slowly getting more selective. He got me to buy the Jay-Z & Linkin Park album the other day, which may be mainstream but at least has some life and aggression to it. Same goes for the likes of Green Day which he's also into just now.

When it comes to older music, he's delightfully unaware of the pseud filter which is applied to everything, so you can't just like music because you like it but it has to pass the Cool Test (which changes all the time). So ABBA may have been considered cool for the last ten years or so, but prior to that was thought to be the height of shite. My son will naively and sweetly ask me if I have any Jean-Michel Jarre, for example, or that music out of The Exorcist (yes, I've got a bit of J-M J, no, haven't got Tubular Bells).

He also comes into my study, where I have my CDs and stereo, and says, "have you got any more stuff like Fortress Europe by Asian Dub Foundation?" and I say, "Pray, be seated," and we settle down to an hour of me darting around the CD collection, doing a sort of vague connections improvised radio show. Sometimes he has a pen and paper and notes down the tracks or albums he likes the sound of.

It's worth waiting for that age group rather than bothering too much when they're weeny and can barely get their heads round Baa Baa Black Sheep.

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
When I was revewing records for a certain publication, I was sent a full set of Punk Rock Baby CDs. They didn't end up in the 'no' box like most promos: instead they created a whole new box. A box nobody knows about, not even my sister or my wife. The Punk Rock Baby Box. In the PRBB reside the full set of punk / dance / rock / 80s / hip-hop baby CDs, plus a pink bib I bought for a friend's child and never gave to her, and two tiny bootees with flowers on. Rather than provide your toddler with mix tapes, these let you soothe your baby to sleep with songs that they will subliminally recognise, and therefore love, for the rest of their lives. That's the idea, anyway...
 -
Oh also, I think Black Mask and Dang should get together and write a guide to parenting. They have clearly taken over from LowLewel as joint Be(a)st Dad. Also there is a big gap in UK market for hip / fun parenting guides - especially written by men! It would rule!

[ 08.02.2005, 07:46: Message edited by: London ]

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by London:
Punk Rock Baby CDs.

White Riot (nursery version) wouldn't have sounded out of place on Sandinista actually.
Waynster

The Cds are Excellezzzzzzzz....... zzzz......z....

--------------------

ben

lol - excellent. The 'LOVE' & 'HATE' scratch mittens are genius.
Black Mask

ben, do you have a house full of baby-related garbage?

--------------------
sweet

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Londoe, can you mp3 some of those tracks ? Beckett needs new nursery music..

[Big Grin]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure can! I'll swap you for a new picture. I know what one I want and everything.
ben

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
ben, do you have a house full of baby-related garbage?

Yes! We went to Bristol on Sunday - Bristol - to get a Mamas & Papas 'travel system'. We have about 11 pairs of scratch mittens. We have books galore (incl. Teh Joy of teh Fatehrhood) and we have a baby-shaped hole in our lives waiting to be filled.

Babies!
Babies!
Babies!

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool...

You mail me and I'll work out where I can pick up the converted MP3's and all that..

Anyone else want a retagging while I'm on holiday ?

I'm quite enjoying this holiday really, I've decided to quit work when I go back and then maybe buy a record shop thats for sale here in the dam if the paperwork looks good..

It'll prolly look shit though and the rents quite high but if it looks like its a goer then I might be a shop keeper !

Either way I'm quitting, Femke's going to work at the UNi and I'll get more time with Beckett and that's a big woo as I missed out on so much with Summer - So we might be poor but we'll be happy..

(I hope)

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
quote:
Originally posted by damo:
john coltrane, cliff richard.

What the..?
mock all you want mask but without cliff we'd never have the shadows and then we'd never have had the apache break as performed by the incredible bongo band. which means there would have been an apache sized hole missing in the breaks in the block parties.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are the regulations regarding picture tags these days?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
what are the regulations regarding picture tags these days?

there are none, I'm a fickle creature

--------------------

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, I'd like to re-submit my application for a grade 1 picture tag. I've lost the forms though - can somebody email them to me? I can do pdf, but not .doc.

do we choose our own?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by London:
A box nobody knows about, not even my sister or my wife.

Dude, you like totally showed me the box aaaages ago. Or were you talking about the other sister?

[ 08.02.2005, 09:31: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+