Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » Buy an X-Box box for £120!

Author Topic: Buy an X-Box box for £120!
Raz
Karma Police
 - posted      Profile for Raz           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too late, it's gone.
Feedback from buyer

Louise
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Louise           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'll teach him to read the descriptions properly before forking out £120 again. Sausage.

--------------------
Because fat guys always win at see-saw

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was going for a reasonable price (up to £20) in the bids until someone called Gemma put in a maximum bid of £75. After it reached that point, I think other visitors to the page saw the going price and took their cue from that, rather than the description. If you saw an X-Box Box for £1, the original price, you'd read the "box" part and the item briefing. When it gets up to £100, you think it must be a misprint. What makes me laugh is that Echo, the guy who finally won it, was one of thost c*nts who comes in late to trump everyone else, bidding £2 over the existing total just before the end of the auction.

--------------------
member #28

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit of a **** , that bloke who's selling it though, conman hmmm.

Xboxs are 50 pounds and 70 pounds respectively in whsmiths and sainsburys at the moment, if you can find one with stock in.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

kovacs

Why is it a con? I think you should read the paragraph describing the item. Better, paste it in here and we can all decide.

--------------------
member #28

Louise
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by: gimmpysvideogames
Up for auction is a mint condition, limited edition Xbox box. It has No scuffs or marks and looks rather nice. Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox sat at home, or carry it around town in a see through carrier bag to be the envy of geeks everywhere. This is the must have accesory for gamers.

Is that what you wanted?

--------------------

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Louise, I'll give you a 120 quid for it.

[ 21.05.2004, 10:32: Message edited by: Roy ]

Louise
TMO Member
I'm so tempted to raid the display in gamestation and take you up on that.

--------------------

jnhoj
TMO Member
Because he's taking advantage of the confidence of his buyers (stupidity), I don't see anywhere where it says in nice bold letters -THIS IS NOT A REAL XBOX-, Which imo, there should be.

The fact he set the reserve made people think it was valuable, and £5 pnp, for a box?

and

"Item Specifics - Video Game Systems
Platform: Microsoft Xbox Bundled Items: --
Condition: New In Box
"
new in box

Item Specifics - Video Game Systems

There's nothing in the box and it shouldn't be listed under "systems" , perhaps accesories but not systems.

I think its fairly safe to say he had the intention of selling this as an xbox but doing it in a way that wouldn't be an illegal sell.

--------------------

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
x

[ 22.05.2004, 07:38: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

kovacs

The item description seems perfectly clear to me. It is stating that you can pretend you have an X Box at home by carrying this around in a clear plastic bag. I don't see how anyone could read that paragraph and complain that the guy wasn't representing the item properly.

--------------------
member #28

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A scammer scammed [Big Grin]
jnhoj
TMO Member
If it was perfectly clear, he wouldn't have put

"new in box"

what is new in the box? The item is described clearly in the description, but the background information is either: completely wrong or suggestive of a product other than the one described. I'm not saying that the buying parties are blameless, obviously they should have looked more closely, but you cannt say the seller is blameless, especially given the evidence that he:

a) Misdescribed the item in other parts of the sale seperate from the description

b) Quite clearly used the name of the console itself to confuse the matter somewhat (box box etc)

c) did not state, in full large letters what it wasn't. IE - When people sell those stupid list things of "Ch33p warehouse prices!!!" they always add -I AM NOT SELLING THE ACTUAL CONSOLE"

quote:
don't see how anyone could read that paragraph and complain that the guy wasn't representing the item properly.
But the auction is about more than the paragraph!

I think these mitigate his apparent "honesty" with his description.

[ 22.05.2004, 09:54: Message edited by: jnhoj ]

--------------------

Louise
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExtensionsOff:
A scammer scammed [Big Grin]

This is brilliant reading.

I was recently targetted by an attempted scam (about 5, in fact) and Mr Lou looked into it and found all the details about where the scam had come from, and stuff. We reported it to eBay, and got a response quite similar to this guy's. We reported the scam to the hosting company who were letting the scammers use their space, and they've suspended the account. Ebay really are useless when it comes to dealing with reports of scams.

I've finished reading now, and surely that can't be it? There must be more, there must!

--------------------

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
There must be more, there must!

Have you read the original thread on Something Awful ? It runs to 82 pages.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got to page 72 after reading for more than 5 hours, then it told me I couldn't read the pages because I wasn't a registered member.

I was so frustrated I nearly pulled my eyes out.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+