Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » *Lost* for Dummies (caught *Mary Stuart* last night rate it a very generous 7/10) (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: *Lost* for Dummies (caught *Mary Stuart* last night rate it a very generous 7/10)
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they're zombies.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, it doesn't really matter...

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well no, obviously it doesn't matter, any more than making sure you kill every baddie in Resident Evil 4 matters* . It's more the case that when you're presented with a puzzle it's fun to attempt to solve it.

[ 22.09.2005, 07:40: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Black Mask

No... maybe the camera will pull back to reveal... ANOTHER CAMERA! And we realise we're watching the making of a TV drama filmed on a set where strange invisible things are pursuing the cast and crew.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Then, right, that will matter...

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you manage to neutralise the terrorists in Rainbow Six, by the way? Did you realise that if you turn off the gamebox then they go away by themselves?
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Did you manage to neutralise the terrorists in Rainbow Six, by the way? Did you realise that if you turn off the gamebox then they go away by themselves?

NO! I fucked that off. I bought Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, instead. Hulk smash! Hulk fling cow! Hulk hanglide on giant monkey!

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Hulk Ultimate Destruction rules, btw.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Hold on!
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Did you realise that if you turn off the gamebox then they go away by themselves?

How does that work, then?

--------------------
sweet

Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the producers of the show confirmed (during the showing of the first series in the US) that there is no dead people/limbo type explanation, and that everything that happens can be explained by logic. However, the programme is made by the same people that make Alias so their definition of logic might be a tad... loose.

Other rumours I have heard, complete with ModgeRating:

~ the little boy has some kind of power to make things happen - he reads about a polar bear and one appears etc - and he made the plane crash because he didn't want to go back to america with his dad (unlikely)

~ one of the "survivors" was in fact not on the plane that crashed (possible and interesting)

~ Locke has been to the island before (hmmm)

~ Locke wasn't paralysed previously, but had actually lost his legs entirely (not medically possible like the cured paralysis)

~ The Island has some kind of power to give people things that they want (don't like this idea)

~ The first class passengers survived and are on the other side of the island. They will be the focus of series 2 (plausible)

~ The french lady is alive and kicking and whacked Sayid on the head (plausible, maybe too obvious)

~ The island was used for some kind of animal medical experiments, hence the polar bear roaming around, and the "monster" is a result of these experiments (maybe?)

~ The monster manifests itself to different people in different ways, kind of like that thing in Harry Potter that shows itself as a persons worst fear. (well Locke did, maybe, see it... doesn't follow the supposed logic though)

[ 22.09.2005, 08:49: Message edited by: Modge ]

mimolette
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for mimolette           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Desperate Housewives will probably turn up, and then they'll all have a party. That would be nice.

--------------------
Paul is dead

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Ok. Hi. Can anyone hear me? I've been here for sixteen years and... they're already dead... the others came and... I've been here for sixteen years and...

no one

no one

no one

cares

does anyone care? Anymore? Do you? Don't you? Why not? What have you got that's so much--

Oh right yeah. Zombies. MMORPGs. BRILLIANT!!!!! Good for you! Wow, er, does anyone have a needle, I'm barricaded in the mall, and I don't know there's this guy is he dead, is he a zombie, his status says like maybe dead... they're coming... can anyone help CAN ANYONE HELP ANY QUEER JEW ANYONE ANY

any

one

no

n

Ok.

Have you all lost interest in old media, like television? Like gripping television? Like admittedly frustrating non-narrative closure you'd have thought we'd all got over all that postmodern bullshit after the X-Files but it appears not fucking interesting exellent telly?

So it would seem.

Anyone? Please? Modge? Please?

quote:
Originally posted by Modge:
Apparently the producers of the show confirmed (during the showing of the first series in the US) that there is no dead people/limbo type explanation, and that everything that happens can be explained by logic. However, the programme is made by the same people that make Alias so their definition of logic might be a tad... loose.

Other rumours I have heard, complete with ModgeRating:

~ the little boy has some kind of power to make things happen - he reads about a polar bear and one appears etc - and he made the plane crash because he didn't want to go back to america with his dad (unlikely)

No but BUT.... as we saw tonight... unlucky fat guy (Hurley?) reading about polar bear in comic on plane...

quote:

~ one of the "survivors" was in fact not on the plane that crashed (possible and interesting)

Ethan, yes, irritatingly shot by Charlie before we could find out what the fuck?

quote:

~ Locke has been to the island before (hmmm)

Unconfirmed

quote:

~ Locke wasn't paralysed previously, but had actually lost his legs entirely (not medically possible like the cured paralysis)

Or, Locke *was* paralysed previously, and regained leg use (fave episode so far???) Oh wait you had already seen this when you posted this right.

quote:

~ The Island has some kind of power to give people things that they want (don't like this idea)

Hm.... interesting.... Kate is free, Jack finds out that dad was sorry and loved him... Locke can walk... Shannon is free of brotherlove and loves real man... Sawyer dies... Korean chick separates from husband... Korean dude doesn't have to deliver watch to gangster people... black dude does not have to look after child after all... er.... other stuff.... can't remember... oh yeah, Charlie gets to offer protection to someone... um...

quote:

~ The first class passengers survived and are on the other side of the island. They will be the focus of series 2 (plausible)

Ooh, er... does first class have special ejector seats? But is possible; nobody in plane flashback tonight was in first class, were they?

quote:

~ The french lady is alive and kicking and whacked Sayid on the head (plausible, maybe too obvious)

This did happen, right?

quote:

~ The island was used for some kind of animal medical experiments, hence the polar bear roaming around, and the "monster" is a result of these experiments (maybe?)

Possible... down the shaft... the stupid, frustrating shaft...

quote:

~ The monster manifests itself to different people in different ways, kind of like that thing in Harry Potter that shows itself as a persons worst fear. (well Locke did, maybe, see it... doesn't follow the supposed logic though)

Locke definitely seemed to be suspecting something like this, didn't he? He kept peeking out from the bushes, seeming to suspect that if you weren't frightened, it wasn't actually there or something...

DOES ANYBODY CARE. AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS GODFORSAKEN, ZOMBIE-RIDDEN FORUM that gives a shit?

Tell me I'm not wrong. Tell me I'n not alone. Tell me something. Anything. I've been here for sixteen years and everyone else is gone....

[ 11.01.2006, 20:05: Message edited by: London ]

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is this about Lost? that show is SHIT. i don't, genuinely i don't, understand why anyone would waste their lives on it. really, wtf?
London

Yeah, it's about Lost. Whoever titled this thread (BEN) was not schooled in the notion that the only way to guide people around the internet is to name things in the most user-friendly, simplistic way. It might not seem that way at the time, when everyone is talking about the subject - but months later, when searches on 'Lost' and 'Lost / Jack / Island / Locke' etc fail to turn up ANYTHING, you suddenly realise the importance of naming your threads. It's like tagging, you know? You think you know where all your photos are and tagging is pointless, until you realise that if you don't see that picture of Marianna grinning while you and John gently make out in the background RIGHT NOW you're going to fucking DIE. And then the whole social software thing just kicks right in...

Ben, please edit thread title to 'Lost'. Go on...

[ 11.01.2006, 20:39: Message edited by: London ]

vikram

the only show worthy of discussion in the o.c.. obviously.
London

Is it worth doing an OC Season 3 thread?

[ 11.01.2006, 21:34: Message edited by: London ]

vikram

we need to catch up on season 2 first, complete with props
Thorn Davis

I lost interest in Lost sometime around the tenth episode. The formula got really tiresome. Flashback-survival-flashback-crumbs of mystery-flashback-twist. I would have kept watching, but it just seemed to me like they were making it up as they went along, and that no-one, anywhere in the world has a clear idea of exactly what's happening and how it can all be explained in a satisfying manner. If they want it to run for four seasons, then the mysteries will pile up until the ratings drop, and they chuck in an inconclusive reveal that doesn't fit with a bunch of stuff they forgot they threw in back at the beginning. A puzzle with no solution isn't really much fun.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've been stuck on Mental Island for months and have managed to build a raft in order to escape with your son and some randoms. You set sail into the unknown with a dodgy radar and eventually you hear signs of life. You use your only flare to attract a boat which eventually starts moving towards you. "Oh my god, we're finally gonna be rescued!" you think to yourself.

When the boat arrives, you're greeted by a bunch of paedoes who kidnap your son and destroy your raft. You're left treading water in the middle of a sea.

How gutted would you be?

I watched this last night with Kellifer who remarked "What the fuck?" followed by "The plot of *Doctors is more engaging than this".

How did they get a second season?

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't watch TV now that peep show has finished.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

London

It did get frustrating.... last night after the show we had to count up what it was we'd actually learnt in the two hours we'd been there - what facts:

• The hatch leads to a shaft
  • "The Others" exist

- that's it. But still, I found it gripping. But then, it's the only TV show I watch. My wife suggested that if you had lots of channels and watched lots of TV it might not seem so gripping.

[ 12.01.2006, 04:58: Message edited by: London ]

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However I finally got round to watching Dust Devil the other night, and that was pretty good. Some of the acting was a bit weak, but it was a good story, and the locations were used well. Namibia is a very dry place indeed. I liked the bit where the woman blew the man's head off with a shotgun. And I liked the way that the people were called by the place that they came from, so while 'Texas' was shagging the chick, her husband, 'South Africa', was getting his white head kicked in by black bar patrons.

Overall, probably not one to watch if you're very tired or suffering from a headache/hangover, but otherwise, it's worth a punt.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is a gem of a great idea in Lost, and at its best it was genuinely gripping TV. However, it is really crippled by the seeming insistence that all US drama shows be 22-25 episodes long, as it could feasibly have been wrapped up in 10 shows. Only about 1 in 3 episodes was good, the rest was just filler, with a lot of repeated themes and shots.

I stubbornly watched every single one, except for one where the new VCR chewed up the tape. However, I really can't be fucked with doing it all over again for Season Two. I pointed out to Thorn last night that we sat down to watch the first episode (actually we missed that because it was on earlier) in our old Croydon screaming baby flat, and we moved out over 4 months ago. That's just a ridiculously long amount of time.

So my plan for today is to read what happens in Season Two on the internet and save myself a whole load of time.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by London:
[QB My wife suggested that if you had lots of channels and watched lots of TV it might not seem so gripping. [/QB]

It's true. Since I got cable, my TV watching has steadily declined. I do turn it on, for company, but don't pay attention. I think that the last thing I watched was a double bill of Buffy (which I've never really watched before) followed by a double bill of Star Trek Voyager, where they were in the matrix, fighting robot people. I only watched these because I was skanking off work, feeling sorry myself, and I couldn't be arsed to get up and turn my computer on so I could watch Ghost in the Shell. Annoyingly, my DVD player and 14" TV have a few issues that they can't work out, so everything gets letter boxed to the max - I think that the DVD player only operates at 50hz, but the TV is 40Hz, or something like that. So I tend to use my computer to watch films.

What was the question again?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just happened across a Lost Season One *message board. It's quite entertaining:

quote:
Ok, if you replay the scene right after where they throw the dynamite into the hole, go to around 1:30-1:31. You'll note that when the fog dissappears, it appears to go in the direction Jack's ear. The reason I'm bringing this up is because, if they ARE nanobots, or this IS some kind of monster, watch Jack's reaction immediately after the fog appears to enter his head. He reacts like SOMETHING WENT INTO HIS EAR/HEAD (1:32). This COULD be some kind of revelation. Maybe the monster has already gone into Locke's head (way earlier in the season when he came in contact with it). Maybe THIS is the infection (I know this has been theorized, but here's actual potential video footage of HOW the "monster" (aka virus) infects people!!!!
Here is an animated picture of the black smoke going into Jack's ear:

-

LOL.

Thorn Davis

quote:
My wife suggested that if you had lots of channels and watched lots of TV it might not seem so gripping.

I dunno - I don't think it's that exactly. It's about the only TV programme I've watched over the last (what? eight months?) and it still seemed really tired before it got to the halfway point. I think it might just have been a bit shit.
Dr. Benway

I think that the X-Files killed off my ability to watch long running TV shows.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

vikram

quote:
But still, I found it gripping. But then, it's the only TV show I watch. My wife suggested that if you had lots of channels and watched lots of TV it might not seem so gripping.

I have an anooying friend who doesn't have a TV. He comes round mine once a week to watch Lost. It's the only show he watches. I told him, if I could only watch one TV show it wouldn't be fucking that. Gawd!

ER was on the other day! It looked fairly new. Is it still going then? I didn't realise. Good old ER. Currently I don't watch any non-factual British TV (except, um, Holby City sometimes) - what's out there forum? What are good shows to watch?

MiscellaneousFiles

Phil Mitchell says...
 -
Eastenders!

MiscellaneousFiles

Demi Miller says...

-
Eastenders!

MiscellaneousFiles

Juley Smith says...

-
Eastenders, bruv!

vikram

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
Since I got cable, my TV watching has steadily declined. I do turn it on, for company, but don't pay attention.

I had teh same thing, the TV was just noise, but now I have Sky+ which is absolutely brilliant. There's loads of stuff off like BBC4 that I'll watch now, albeit threee weeks later when I'm actually in the mood. Tend to watch TV in snippets now - twenty minutes here, thirty there. But it's good, I control the TV it doesnt control me!

Why isn't this being made - would be da lol

MiscellaneousFiles

Wellard says...

-
Woof

Dr. Benway

I say: Ban Misc.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I say: Ban Misc.

You're no fun anymore.

Besides, if you ban me from here, I'll spend all my time on the Lost Forum, reading stuff like this:

The thread is called Why did 'the others' need walt?:

quote:
Maybe they need a small child to do something in terms of mining. Maybe he would fit somewhere that an adult wouldn't.
quote:
Planning for the future. In my Business degree I have studied workforce employment analysis statistics and a decent workforce should constantly evaluate itself to try and keep a balance of experience (for training & teaching) and youth (for the future).

I think that this is exactly what "the others" are doing. Recruiting the youth and training them up to certain standards. Makes sense.

[ 12.01.2006, 06:04: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+