Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Life on Mars (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Life on Mars
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Did anyone else watch this? I quite enjoyed it. Whilst oozing on Radio 4 at the weekend, sentient jowl that is Mark Lawson suggested that the "Sweeney bits" were way too Sweeney, with the coppers being excessively violent/sexist/smokey. I say bollox, you tart. Apart from the slomo leaping over a table moment, I thought the Sweeney bits were excellent, with some great Reganesquie dialogue: "Lots of Gob" etc.

Nice twist at the end, good collars from the old bill and the wardrobe department and enough what's-going-to-be-the-truth-behind-it?ness: Coma/dead/madder etc. to succeed where Lost failed, IMHO.

Lots of holes, lots of fun. I think I'll watch it. Any thoughts?

[ 10.01.2006, 09:28: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed it but I am downloading the show from somewhere to pass judgement for your thread later..

I passed it up to watch Balderdash and Piffle, which isn't frankly any good, so I regret it.

[ 10.01.2006, 09:24: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I started watching B and P but couldn't handle the Hislop.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been having trouble since last week when they claimed that "Poppycock" was from the old Dutch saying "Poppe Kak" meaning "Doll Shit".

Femke's searched the Dutch archives and there's no sign of 'poppe kak' ever being used as a Dutch saying, however there is 'pappe kak' which means 'soft porridge like shit' which makes more sense as a source for the word.

PAH.

Though the word poppe kak might well be Afrikaans

I forced myself to watch it again, but I've started to hate the female presenter.

[ 10.01.2006, 09:36: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I assume this was on at the same time as Celebrity Big Brother and Football Match, then.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
yes [Frown]

But I will watch it in a bit.

--------------------

Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You silly fouls missed a cracker on Sky - I can make you THIN with the lovely Paulie McK. Not a elderly, shit-sniffing anorexiod in sight and no fat piers to put you off your chips.

Despite this it turned out to be rather good. I suspect its going to turn into the X-Factor for obesees and I applaud its moral stance. If someone is a bit lardy it is not their fault, they are neither a thicky nor a genetically mutated margarine tub. Their parents however, probably were. The fuckers.

[ 10.01.2006, 10:19: Message edited by: Vanilla Online Persona ]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already made my excuses for not watching Life On Mars yet here, and I do intend to watch it because I can never resist a bit of that time travel mumbo jumbo. [complete tangent] I saw a truck drive past outside the office today with Time Shuttle written on the side. No doubt carrying something very dull, but I wish I'd put my thumb out anyway. One never knows.

[back to reality for a moment] ... so, yes, I want to see Life On Mars and the fact that jonesy has started a thread on it as well as all the good reviews I read over the weekend is buffeting my interest like a worm hole being sucked into a black hole, asshole first.

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
We've been having trouble since last week when they claimed that "Poppycock" was from the old Dutch saying "Poppe Kak" meaning "Doll Shit".

One of the websites I'm working on at the moment is in Dutch and I must say that any language in which a bland English phrase like "Add to shopping basket" translates as "In winkelwagen leggen", and the even blander "Office cleaning" is "Netheid van de ruimten", deserves to be the source of as many sayings as it likes.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
"Add to shopping basket" is "In winkelmandje leggen" as winkelwagen is shopping trolley not basket.

Also, "Netheid van de ruimten" bothers me, it means "Cleanliness of the spaces" maybe it should be "Netheid van de ruimte" which means "Cleanliness of the space". Neither mention that it's office specific though, so I'd tend to lean towards "Netheid van de kantoor ruimte/ruimten".

That said, 'netheid' means 'cleanliness', 'cleaning' is 'schoonmaken'.

[ 10.01.2006, 11:18: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
I saw a truck drive past outside the office today with Time Shuttle written on the side.

I didn't read the rest of the writing though:

http://pustan.com/modelle/amw3.html

Now I'm really intrigued. Maybe time travel actually is possible if you just hit someone hard enough.

[ 10.01.2006, 11:19: Message edited by: dang65 ]

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
"Add to shopping basket" is "In winkelmandje leggen" as winkelwagen is shopping trolley not basket.

Also, "Netheid van de ruimten" bothers me

Ah, sorry, maybe it's Flemish. It's a Belgian site but language is set as "NL" in the database, as opposed to their other Belgian site which is "FR" of course.

ETA: And I got "Office cleaning" from the equivalent French tag which says, "Propretι des locaux" which is something like "cleanliness of premises" but I think it refers to office cleaning products.

I do a lot of improvising when it comes to languages, which is probably why I get so many blank looks come to think of it.

[ 10.01.2006, 11:26: Message edited by: dang65 ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Either language wagen is trolley and mandje is basket..

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Either language wagen is trolley and mandje is basket..

Now you mention it, there is a little icon of a trolley rather than the more traditional basket. Maybe they're trying to get the punters to subconsciously buy more by thinking they have a big winkelwagen to fill up. The sneaky Belgians.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
It wouldn't surprise me at all [Wink]

--------------------

LowLevel
He's just a sweet transvestite !
 - posted      Profile for LowLevel           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe time travel actually is possible if you just hit someone hard enough.

Have you never heard the phrase..

I'll knock you into the Middle of Next Week?

QED I believe Mein Freund

--------------------
If sir requires spall, may I suggest the .90 calibre depleted uranium ?

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by LowLevel:
quote:
Maybe time travel actually is possible if you just hit someone hard enough.

Have you never heard the phrase..

I'll knock you into the Middle of Next Week?

QED I believe Mein Freund

No. I'll take it back to my own time and teach it to the people there. Maybe it will catch on.
kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched two episodes of this now and though the 2nd was a little lighter in tone, veering unhealthily towards slapstick at times, it is some of the best telly I've seen this decade.

I'd like to talk about it, but everyone else has probably seen more episodes than me.

My own thoughts about some trauma or significant event when Tyler was 4, in 1973 -- the big silver-buckled shoes, the forest, the shrieking girl in the red coat -- are probably now really obvious or redundant.

Ironically I wrote a whole novel proposal based on this precise idea, except that the protagonist in a coma (after a tube train terrorist attack -- this was written in '02) was sent back to a privatised police force in the mid 80s. And that it wasn't quite as clever.

--------------------
member #28

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:

My own thoughts about some trauma or significant event when Tyler was 4, in 1973 -- the big silver-buckled shoes, the forest, the shrieking girl in the red coat -- are probably now really obvious or redundant.

Not at all. They're being very shrewd about unravelling that hinted at backstory. I'm assuming there'll be a satisfyingly intriguing, generation-spanning, explanation-defying solution to the serial killings of the first episode. A clue Tyler glimpsed as a child. A remark overheard at a bus stop. A postcard in his mum's handbag. The scent of his boozy uncle Alan's cardigan.

This really is superior telly. The slapstick is actually endearing, the pop-culture references deftly handled and (apart from this week's hitch-free prosecution of the crimelord) each episode works on its own.

That bloke looked fuck all like Marc Bolan, though.

--------------------
sweet

kovacs

See also The Singing Detective, Iain Banks' The Bridge.

--------------------
member #28

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Last episode I spied 2 shirts I actually own, a pair of purple and yellow underpants I also own and a number of pictures I too have in my possession.

I think my love of the 70's may be a little OTT.

I'm really enjoying the show, though I've yet to watch episode one (which I have on my HD) it's the first BBC1 series I've watched in about 5 years or so, well done the Beeb.

--------------------

kovacs

They should bring out a soundtrack album soon. That use of the title song was magnificent -- from faint in-car-CD to the coinciding huge pay-off reveal and gigantic chorus when the camera's soaring around Tyler and he stares, gobsmacked, around his new environment.

--------------------
member #28

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite a good deal of skep on my part I've been thoroughly impressed and entertained by this.

Agreeing with Kovacs about the use of the Bowie in the opening episode, practically sent shivers down my spine.

I thought of The Bridge also, and Marabou Stork Nightmares.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to check though, does anyone else think that John Simm looks a bit like a tortoise?

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't bother with this, as I assumed it would rely fairly heavily on the audience enjoying reminiscing about 70s life, and as I wasn't really alive then, I get the impression a lot of jokes/nuances would be lost on me.

Is this correct?

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
No, I think it works well even if you're not a seventies buff, there's obviously the odd 'in joke' but for the most part it's a decent crime drama with a new(ish) sci fi twist.

Sci Fi is so the new black.

In other news I quite enjoyed SURFACE which seems to be full of Godzooky style creatures eating dogs.

--------------------

kovacs

I don't remember anything much about 1973, either... the jokes are more about TV cop shows from the 1970s, and discovering (with the main character) just how alien (ie. Martian) was the world of 33 years ago.

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

3 episodes in, and this show has barely put a toe wrong for me yet. Even more keen for a soundtrack album now, or just a track list.

--------------------
member #28

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Da-Naaaah!

--------------------
sweet

kovacs

That's spacedust, thanks.

--------------------
member #28

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having not seen this but having perused what they are using for the soundtrack, I am mightily tempted to tune in next week now.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Stefanos
Biggus Dickus
 - posted      Profile for Stefanos           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.timeshuttle.com/

--------------------
Essex boy in exile.

kovacs

I've been posting my Deep Thoughts and Close Analysis here -- OK if I paste in my Barbechat here, or shall I just link to it? I've just spent 15 mins doing a shot by shot account of his frigging LSD trip...

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

NB. anyone got these? I think I would pay for a disc of the Mars OST.

• Brainstorm by Hawkwind
• Jean Genie by David Bowie
• Cross Eyed Mary by Jethro Tull
• Silver Machine by Hawkwind
• Gudbuy T'Jane by Slade
• Wild Horse by The Rolling Stones
• Blockbuster by The Sweet*
• Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet
• Gypsy by Uriah Heep
• Wishing Well by Free
• Head In The Sky by Atomic Rooster
• Live And Let Die by Wings
• No One Came by Deep Purple
• Drum Song by Willie Lindo & The Charmers Band*
• Saga Of The Aging Orphan by Thin Lizzy
• Lazy by Deep Purple
• One Of These Days by Pink Floyd
• Dream Land by The Upsetters
• Life On Mars by David Bowie
• Stairway To The Stars by Blue Oyster Cult
• I'm So Free by Lou Reed
• Baba O'Riley by The Who
• Rat Rat Blue by Deep Purple
• Fireball by Deep Purple
• White Room by Cream

--------------------
member #28

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can certainly help with the Floyd, Zeppelin, Hawkwind, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple and can probably sort the Bowie as well. The Who I can do, possibly the Lou Reed, Atomic Rooster, Free and BOC I will have to check some of my more obscure Metal Collections which have yet to make it to the Hard Drive.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+