Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » the last broadcast (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: the last broadcast
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not a thread about the pre-Blair Witch docu-horror (not least cause I aint even seen the **** ), but instead, a more gentle and universally appealling chat about the globe's favourite thing: Television.

I came into work late this morning, and while I was getting ready I saw the last ever episode of Quantam Leap. It was cool in a Matrixy kind of way in terms of its use of familiar settings and characters to depict god figures, but it was also REALLY SAD because I watched it religiously (which some would argue, was the point) as a kid, and never got to see the end. So today as I sat there, trousers round my ankles and fag in mouth, and saw

MASSIVE SPOILER

"Dr. Sam Becket never returned home"
END MASSIVE SPOILER

I was nearly in tears. I had proper gooseflesh and was feeling a curious mixture of sadness, relief, and nostalgic joy, like I'd tied up a loose thread from my past, and could now move on and develop in life without growing into a stunted mess. Obviously this is exaggeration. But it got me thinking about TV shows that have left me devasted or at least really emotionally affected when they've come to an definite end (like Eldorado), rather than just halted production a la The Tripods. So, I was wondering TMO: Have you ever been really affected by a TV series in this way? Is this normal?

[ 10.05.2006, 07:42: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after the last episode of six feet under i had to be put on an intravenous drip because i had cried all the fluids out of my body. have you ever seen a mouse that has eaten dehydrating poison and died? it will go so flat and dessicated that you could use it as a bookmark. that is what i was like for three days after watching the last episode of six feet under. by the time they got to keith i was KEENING.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
So, I was wondering TMO: Have you ever been really affected by a TV series in this way? Is this normal?

I don't think it's normal, but I have been affected in the way you describe.

Poor Gilligan. [Frown]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet, that means it's repeated tonight.

But don't be so sad benway, because here comes the sequel !A Bold Leap Forward

Set eleven years after the end of the original show in keeping with the actual time since the show went off-air. The original series finished with Dr. Sam Beckett (Bakula) leaping continually and out of control, losing touch with his friend and mentor Albert 'Al' Calavicci (Dean Stockwell).

Al would reportedly make contact once again with Sam, then after losing contact bring in Sam's daughter Sammy Jo, sending her on her father's path in an attempt to bring him back.
If the premise is successfully executed and well-received, the potential for a TV show would apparently also be present. It has been suggested that Bakula would make guest appearances throughout the run.

Did Quantum Leap affect my life ? I don't know, perhaps you'd better ask my son.

Beckett.

Factoid: The final episode was in fact intended to be an end-of-season cliffhanger, but after the series was not renewed by the network, it was re-edited to function as the series finale. This may account for some of its ambiguous nature. The original ending had Sam leaping to tell Al's first wife, Beth, that Al was coming home. His Vietnam-era picture begins to "leap" (this is where the final episode cuts off), and then we see a modern picture of Al sitting with Beth and their four daughters. This ending somehow made it out of the studio and has been circulated on the Internet. In the ending that was actually broadcast, we are told that Al was reunited with Beth, that they remained married, and that "Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home." Fans have speculated that this would have erased Project Quantum Leap, Sam and Al's relationship, or even Sam himself from the altered timeline; however, the original script and subsequent statements by Bellisario leave all of these intact.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:

Did Quantum Leap affect my life ? I don't know, perhaps you'd better ask my son.

Beckett.

errr, okay I will. But, in the mean time....Did it?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:

Beckett.

errr, okay I will. But, in the mean time....Did it?
yep, cried like a baby when it ended, and will again tonight.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched every single episode of Mysterious Cities of Gold. Except one, when I decided it would be really cool to go with my friend and her mum in the car to pick up her sister from big school. Why? I'm still really bitter about that. That programme fired my imagination like nothing else. I would love to watch them all again, but I think it's better to preserve the memory of my childhood fascination, without adult analysis, so I probably won't.

Also, when they finally made it back to their own world in Dungeons & Dragons, that was pretty emotional. And when He-Man and She-Ra met in one special episode, and realised they were twins, it was so amazing it nearly made my 8 year old head explode.

At one point it would have been inconceivable for me to miss an episode of The X-Files, but I just got so bored with it after David Duchovny left, and I have no idea what happened in the final ep. I am enjoying rewatching the whole series on DVD, but won't bother after Season 7.

Television = not as good when you're older.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:

Also, when they finally made it back to their own world in Dungeons & Dragons, that was pretty emotional.

But.. In the episode where they made it home, didn't they have to run back into the D&D world to save Uni or something? I'm fairly sure that they never properly made it home. I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong about this though.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
when He-Man and She-Ra met in one special episode, and realised they were twins, it was so amazing it nearly made my 8 year old head explode.

Then it will please your 'splosive head to know that X-Entertainment have the trailer on there. My favourite bit is when the narrator says 'He man meets his sister' with the word 'sister' being said in the most cynical way imaginable.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

ralph

quote:
after David Duchovny left, and I have no idea what happened in the final ep.

I wish I had no idea what happened in the final episode. What a horrible climax to what otherwise was one of my favorite shows.

[ 10.05.2006, 08:55: Message edited by: ralph ]

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what irritates me more than an anti-climax is when series with a good premise and an interesting cast are cut at the end of one series by the networks. you get left like an unfulfilled lover whose partner has collapsed gasping to one side, going 'is that it? more! i was led to believe there would be more!'

viz: Firefly, Wonderfalls, Freaks & Geeks

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
Freaks & Geeks

I think you and I were the only two people who watched this show. [Frown]
Online Poker
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Online Poker           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Worlds before Monkey,
Primal chaos reigned, Heaven sought order.
But the Phoenix can fly only when its feathers are grown.

Throughout childhood and into puberty I had watched Monkey! of a tea-time from the first to the millionth episode. That end song, still top-notch, more than most others with a catchy tune because it was always preceded by a meaningful buddist saying. 'So Monkey and Tripitaka left the village and Pigarse learned that all is not on the surface. As the father Buddha said 'In the dark, it can be tricky to locate the right hole'...

Each man desires to reach Gandhara,
His very own Utopia,
In the striving and the seeking soul,
Man can see Gandhara.

After a year or so of this sort of stuff I worried I was going to lose a friend when the very last episode came to an end. They were supposed to get to India, Monkey would get forgiven, Trippi would become a Buddha and I also had a hankering that after all this time I was going to gain an Enlightenment to help me with my Maths homework too or a flying cloud or something.

But it was crap. No India. No Scriptures. Buddha & the BBC combined to slip me a soft one. The fuckers.

Yeah I cried. I felt loss. I developed trust 'issues'.

--------------------
A Division of VOP Enterprises

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverGinger5:
quote:

Also, when they finally made it back to their own world in Dungeons & Dragons, that was pretty emotional.

But.. In the episode where they made it home, didn't they have to run back into the D&D world to save Uni or something? I'm fairly sure that they never properly made it home. I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong about this though.
Oh, there were several episodes where they set foot in their own world. Once I think they did have to go back to save Uni, another time Vengor followed them, and they had to go back into the Realm with him or he would have destroyed their world.

But I'm pretty certain there was a final episode where they did get back to the fairground- although the kid may have had to leave Uni behind (sob).

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you fancy Tripi? That's the burning question.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
Wonderfalls

[Smile]
Online Poker
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Online Poker           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:

Of course, I may be enlightened and able to do really hard sums, but I'm still a man.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man Dungeons and Dragons was shit. That Unicorn, the youngest kid. Why the fuck were they in the show in the first place? To appeal to kids? Because the rest of it was so fucking adult? Load of shit.
vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the oc *not* ending with this lacklustre season is teh suck. all the plotlines are the same and mischa barton is not even trying anymore. the first two seasons where so wonderful.

this girl i know claims that it 'jumped the shark' when marissa and that rock chick got it on. she couldnt possibly be more wrong

veep - i too refused to miss an episode of cities of gold. and dungeons & dragons was a fave also (getting angry at eric, crush on the cloak girl). think i gave up on x-files abit sooner than you. the episode where some dude would come up toilets and eat livers was teh end for me

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember one episode of D&D called 'The Eye of the Beholder', which was about this big blobby monster - called The Beholder - which was holding an eye in one of its hands. A disappointingly literal interpretation of the phrase. Furthermore, I recall that the episode ended with the gang holding up a mirror to the beholder's eye (or the eye of the beholder, if you must) at which point the machine was so appalled by its own disgusting appearance, that it died. An act of body fascism that rather goes against the whimsical spirit of the original saying.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Man Dungeons and Dragons was shit.

Yeah, but Sheila was hott

-

[ 10.05.2006, 09:11: Message edited by: SilverGinger5 ]

Thorn Davis

Mmm. Stockings. I expecially like the castle rampart motive. I'd like to ram her parts etc.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Wow. Someone is really obsessed with her. An entire gallery dedicated to her.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Online Poker:
quote:

Of course, I may be enlightened and able to do really hard sums, but I'm still a man.
Edit: But Tripi was a boy.

[ 10.05.2006, 09:24: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

Online Poker
TMO Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Online Poker:
quote:

Edit: But Tripi was a boy.
Don't you oppress me with your homopathic ways.

Anyway, it were tother way round, boy played by girl, you nonce.

The last episode of 'This Life'. That took some beating. All the threads coming together and one glorious orgy of weddings, druggings, bummings and punchings.

The next day I went through all the papes to find out when the next series was starting and discovered just another example of the BBC skewering my gonads with their all too rusty lack of foresight.

Of course I bluddy cried.

Got me again didn't they!

--------------------

Dr. Benway

maybe not

[ 10.05.2006, 09:36: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how exactly is sheila hott? she has a widows peak and looks wilty, verging on humpbacked. i suppose there are some who find the idea of a spineless whiner in a short skirt endlessly being locked in dungeons attractive, but i like my 2-d chix with a bit more backbone.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

New Way Of Decay

Then you'd go for token acroblacktic Diana then would you D?

-

She was sassy, athletic and had her own extendable pole. But to answer the question:

quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
how exactly is sheila hott?

Because she had those thigh high boots and mini-skirt. Plus you could so totally get away with doing a sex by making Sheila wear her cowl and then pretend you are exercising by doing pelvis thrusts or that Presto did a spell to make you levitate in the air naked or something.

--------------------

vikram

bonus - it'd really piss off her stupid brother
New Way Of Decay

Just think about the noise that thing use to make. Just try to remember it and I dare you not to get angry.

I am sat trying to look at pictures of goths whilst chopping my throat to imitate Uni's voice. You don't have to be crazy to work it, but it [chop]h..h...hh.h.h.h.h.elps[/chop]

[ 10.05.2006, 11:41: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

Dr. Benway

looking at pictures of goths is so over.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

New Way Of Decay

I'm not looking at your shabby goths. These are Goths 2.0.

So would an idea for a thread: to take your favourite TV show from childhood and re-write a brief synopsis and choose actors who you'd like to play in it be unwanted right now?

[ 10.05.2006, 11:52: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

vikram

yeah suicidegirls was like five years ago
New Way Of Decay

I think simply assuming suicidegirls are goths is a bit rare isn't it?

--------------------

vikram

i don't understand what 'a bit rare' means [Confused]

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+