Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 60)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. I've got Cary Grant and Irene Dunne in The Awful Truth on its way.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great.
mart
Yeah.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You poor, poor man
mart
lol [Cool]
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the other film I'm getting is "the conversation". I put Uzak in the machine the other day, but ended up watching gamespot's "on the spot" show instead. I know that when I do finally watch Uzak I'll love it, but the idea of a turkish film about two depressed men always turns me off. In my head I can already picture it - long still shots, people sitting around not talking to each other. People looking at objects that have significance. People walking. People holding back tears. Maybe some shouting and violence at one point. Possibly a suicide. And turkey. Turkey to me seems like a place where nothing works properly, poverty runs rampant, and people are generally stressed about religion and politics. I've never watched an Iranian film for the same reason. All these supposedly amazing indie flicks coming out of Iran, but you just know/assume that they're going to be fucking miserable. Sparse shots, knackered buildings, children with no shoes who become fixated on things like kites or footballs, metaphors piled up so densely you can't tell where one ends and another one starts. Rape. Bastards. Death, but not in a glitzy John Woo way, but a painful kitchen sink way that wrenches everybody. Old women dressed in black, tears running down their wrinkly, punchable faces. The inescapable misery and hollowness of life, rammed down your throat until you have to turn it off and watch a father ted dvd.

It's going to be with a very heavy heart that I finally manage to watch that film.

Some films are like that aren't they. You think they're going to be the biggest fucking drag ever, and then they turn out to be okay.

[ 30.10.2007, 11:38: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

mart
The Conversation is really good.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Great!
wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Eastern Promises the other day. And, therefore, Viggo Mortensen's anus & bollocks, from all sort of angles.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
f. A reference to masturbation

Sorry [Frown]

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
The Conversation is really good.

It's excellent.

If I may recommend a little gem to you, also featuring the Hackman, The Scarecrow, featuring Gene and Al Pacino, pre-shouty period. It's an excellent, overlooked 70's gem, I tell you.

Oh, and The Passenger (with Jack Nicholson) is beautiful.

I have Three days of the condor, vanishing point, elephant man and all the presidents men in, managed to get them in before the 'dvd embargo' issued by Mrs the Ball, using the 'they were ordered ages ago, and must have been delayed in the postal strike' pass.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
I saw Eastern Promises the other day. And, therefore, Viggo Mortensen's anus & bollocks, from all sort of angles.

really? his anus? mark kermode says that in his opinion viggo mortensen is the new robert de niro. maybe thats what you have to do to qualify nowadays- show the world your anus. i mean, is it just me, or is that not... just...

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i suppose now he really is lord of the rings.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh very good.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
quote:

really? his anus? mark kermode says that in his opinion viggo mortensen is the new robert de niro. maybe thats what you have to do to qualify nowadays- show the world your anus. i mean, is it just me, or is that not... just...
I always thought that was more Harvey Kietels thing - showing arse and letting out a terrible moan...

--------------------

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
quote:

It's pretty quickly cut, but I definitely saw the underside of his bollocks... you know, the... the perininum or something? The bit that connects the end of his arsecrease to the vulnerable squashiness of his ballbag.

Anus was surely in shot then, though my attention was drawn by the sight of Aragorn's testicles.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
I always thought that was more Harvey Kietels thing - showing arse and letting out a terrible moan...

lolol. That moan of angst is up there with my all-time favourite amusing noises in film. It only comes second to Arnies 'straining' noise.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Superman II, Richard Donner's cut, was very interesting and worth watching -- it made up for the disappointment of Supergirl.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 30.10.2007, 21:32: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Ringo

I watched Phantasm last night. I hadn’t seen that one before and I’ve got to say, it’s hard to see what all the fuss is about. It’s meant to be a classic and I’m sure several people on TMO have named it as such. But it’s just... not very good. The premise is pretty sketchy, the acting horrendous, the scripting pretty bad, the editing and camerawork are patchy at best, the musical score a bad joke, and special effects which are anything but. It feels similar to a few Lucio Fulci films but without the relentless gore factor which make his movies so compelling.

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t insultingly terrible, like Don’t Go in the Woods, it’s vaguely entertaining. But it’s certainly no horror masterpiece. About the best thing about it is the array of fabulous 70’s hairstyles and facial hair. Oh, and camp Phil Collins, he’s pretty good.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phantasm is the one with the Tall Man right? That whole series of films is great because they're so cheesy and seventies-tastic. those little flying things that drill into people's heads are rather entertaining as well..
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
"camp phil collins" was one of the less successful summer schemes for highschoolers in the eighties.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
sorry about that.
Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Phantasm is the one with the Tall Man right? That whole series of films is great because they're so cheesy and seventies-tastic. those little flying things that drill into people's heads are rather entertaining as well..

I guess I've just seen so many camp, cheesey horror films from the 70s and 80s, Phantasm doesn't really offer much that I've not already seen done camper and cheesier. Kind of like how people say that films like Hostel and Saw and whatnot are really awfully gory and disturbing, when I'm watching them thinking, yeah I suppose it's pretty bad, but it's certainly not the worst I've seen.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Superman II, Richard Donner's cut, was very interesting and worth watching -- it made up for the disappointment of Supergirl.

Just today I read the Richard Donner-penned Bizarro three-parter in Action Comics. I only bought it because it was drawn by Eric Powell, normally I don't like Superman stories. This one was pretty funny, though. The art was fantastic.

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:

1 and 2 are good - but after that, they realise that the actors are crap and go all silly for silly's sake.

--------------------

mart
Benway, have you watched A Matter of Life and Death yet?

I watched The Awful Truth last night, as promised. I might say some more about it tonight, but I probably won't.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have Three days of the condor...

Oh, that's a big favourite of mine. Template for any number of classy thrillers, including the Bourne movies I reckon.

Don't forget to listen out for the "This is the Panic Office..." sample used on Fitter Happier by that Radiohead (and credited on the album as being from "Flight Of The Condor" duh).

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched some music videos on The Hits last night. They have a little middle aged woman in the bottom right corner of the screen doing sign language and dancing.

[ 15.11.2007, 09:27: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mighty Boosh. As enjoyable as ever, despite the obvious budget increase. Although I do worry about the potential misuse of Noir's Indie Celebradar.

[ 16.11.2007, 05:47: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realised this morning that I'd forgotten to watch it, grr. Will have to download it asap and get my boosh fix.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
quote:
I have Three days of the condor...

Oh, that's a big favourite of mine. Template for any number of classy thrillers, including the Bourne movies I reckon.

Don't forget to listen out for the "This is the Panic Office..." sample used on Fitter Happier by that Radiohead (and credited on the album as being from "Flight Of The Condor" duh).

Will do - hoping to watch this soon - Mrs the Ball scrunched her nose and suggested it might be a bit 'rough' for her dilicate eyes, so it's been sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting...

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
The Mighty Boosh. As enjoyable as ever, despite the obvious budget increase. Although I do worry about the potential misuse of Noir's Indie Celebradar.

I still haven't seen the new series due to chronic amnesia re when it's on, but, I hired a car at the weekend and the fucking thing didn't have an aerial, which I only realised when I was a couple of miles into a traffic jam out of London and couldn't go back and complain. So I had to drive on my own to Manchester with the radio sounding like the World Service on shortwave in Calcutta in 1935. Fortunately, in the petrol station they had some CDs. I nearly bought The Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady. But then I saw The Mighty Boosh 3CD complete radio series. Sweet. Tell you what, the music's bloody ace. I'd only heard it on a tinny radio before.

Er, end of non-smission.

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw I am Legend at the weekend, which was pretty decent save for the slightly disappointing ending. The image of a post-apocalyptic NYC topped the similar London scenes in 28 Days Later.

Reading: The State of Africa, by Martin Meredith - a fascinating potted history of the dark continent.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
watched a lot of films recently. 2019: After the Fall of New York, Lifeforce, Omen IV, Red Room, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Forced Entry, Delirium, 2009: Bronx Warriors, Massacre at Dinosaur Valley, Mangiati vivi!, Trilogy of Lust 2, Beyond the Darkness, House at the Edge of the Park, Hollywood Meatcleaver Massacre, and some Kenneth Anger films.

favourites were probably Let's Scare Jessica to Death due to it's strange, lo-fi folksy atmosphere and Delirium, because I enjoyed the mix of massive boobs, violent murders, and surreal hallucination sequences.

Worst (and most gratuitous) was probably Red Room. "Forgettable, amateurish splatter- and rape-fest"

I'm reading a biography of andy milligan.

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+