Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 58)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got crack?

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Atonement last night. It is the most beautiful cinematic film that I have seen for a long time - by this I mean it really uses the language of film to tell its story in a wonderful way. I recommend it to one and all.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come on though, Keira Knightley. She can fuck off.
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I can stomach going to see a film based on an Ian McEwan book. He kind of pisses me off.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and in answer to the thread question I have been reading A Dead Man In Deptford by Anthony Burgess, which was challenging, but rewarding. The whole time I was reading it I kept thinking it was the sort of book that would appeal to Ben, so he should maybe give that one a go if he runs out of Richard and Judy recommendations to read.

I just started The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Benway's friend Murakami. I'm enjoying it, though somehow I'm getting the impression that it's quite an early book of his, or that the translation isn't quite as slick as the other books of his I've read. The occasional slips into cliche or similes that don't really work take me out of it every now and then, which is really unusual for Murakami, but there's still that sense of his mighty control over his symbolism, clearsighted thoughtfulness and lively dialogue.

[ 18.10.2007, 05:01: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am reading big babies by michael bywater. it is fantastic, and makes me want to be a grownup more than anything else in the world.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I watched

midnight cowboy which I liked a lot, more than I thought I would. Not often that I'm into 'performances', but both the lads in that were amazing. Only annoying thing about it was the soundtrack. It was great, but almost all of it I've heard in other places, films, etc, but I can't remember where. Still, excellent. Wish I'd seen it earlier, back when I was creative.

Rosetta. no lols to be had here. Dreary belgian verite thing about a girl who lives with her alcoholic mother in a caravan park. Everything is grey, rainy, and muddy. Things is fucked up, and this chick is really cold hearted, just trying to cope, trying to get a job at a roadside waffle place. Nobody speaks much. Ends in a suicide bid. The film answers the question "what would you eat before you attempted suicide" - the answer, of course, is a single hard boiled egg. Grim. But good! I 'enjoyed' it.

Scream 3. Watched this years ago, and I didn't really want to watch it again, but I had to find out who the killer was. A bad film by all accounts. Irritatingly, I ended up staying awake until 2.30 to see the reveal. Not worth it.

Ghostbusters 2. Saw this last night. Probably only the third time I've watched it, and I tried to approach it without a critical eye. It was entertaining enough. Something about collectivism defeating the threat of european immigration maybe, but who cares. Bill Muwway was great. I liked it when Dana says she's going to 'put the baby down' as in bed, and then Bill Muwway says he'll do it, and then goes to the baby "you're short, and your belly button sticks out too far". Lol, you think he's going to put the baby to bed, but instead he just 'puts its down' in a different way lolll.

[ 22.10.2007, 06:22: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
also watched tim and eric awesome show great job! and moral orel. Orel was more disgusting then usual, because in it he learns that it's a sin to waste anything that god gives you, including urine.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Dirty Dancing last night, and loved every second, like some sappy girl. I even cried at the 'lift' at the end. No, I'm not proud.

Also, Californication, which was most enjoyable. Mainly watched it because of Benway's recommendation, so thanks for that, Dr B.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
tonight I'm going to get my rocks off at the National Film Theatre, watching "Zoo" - a documentary about people fucking horses. Wheee!
Hades
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Hades           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My reading at the moment is probably as far away from high brow and interlectual as you can get before you reach the Mr men books. Currently reading Star Wars: rouge planet.
I decided a couple of months ago that i was going to work my way through the enitre star wars book range.... which turns out is a hell of a lot of books.

Currently watching
californication - have to agree that this is a great show. Its ocupying the place in my tv watching sourly missed by the lack of new Studio 60.

Pushing daisies - this has to be the quirkest new offering this tv season. About a guy who can bring people back to life with a touch. bizarly protrayed and comically narrated it is well worth a look.

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched two episodes of Father Ted last night. They were most amusing. Unfortunately I missed the snooker final as I spent all day moving my life's belongings into my girlfriend's flat, which proved to be a most tiring and time-consuming experience. I read some more of Lisey's Story, which is just getting better and better. The fun never stops.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
looks like the fun does stop, right after you post.

[ 22.10.2007, 09:03: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cold.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
that wasn't meant in a nasty way all. Does that appear cold?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not in any way warm. Cold might be an overstatement but I guess saying "Room temperature" isn't as sinister a comment.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tepid.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bracing?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
oh dear, that's no good at all. Seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up, but you can't seriously accuse somebody of killing the forum these days can you? Considering that 2-3 hours breaks are the norm?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't Thorn be posting more anyway? I think he can probably be blamed for the lack of posts today.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today thorn will be feeling optimistic, Who needs that shitty job anyway, the world's his oyster, if life deals you a lemon make it into a lemonade etc. He'll be spending some time searching for new jobs on the internet and in the papers, updating his CV. Slowly as the day goes on the early enthusiasm begins to fade. There's no good jobs, or the ones that are good he's not qualified for. He takes a break, flicks on the TV, Loose women is on. He goes to the kitchen and picks up the toaster, climbs the stairs, starts to run the bath.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

TD: "Hello pussy what's your name?"

OSCAR: "PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

[ 22.10.2007, 10:50: Message edited by: Tilde ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
that's a very handsome cat.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on vacation last week. Could someone bring me up to speed on forum events, please?
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ant can you tell your wife that I have recorded her CD, but have left it at work and I am off all this week.

Will post it early next week.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
London moved to Stockholm, Thorn got sacked, jhonj got beaten and robbed, Ringo ditched his cokehead girlfriend and is going to become an IronMan, I got dumped and wallowed around in misery (nb. I am not Ringo's ex) eating pizza.

Ok?

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
(nb. I am not Ringo's ex)

Not yet...

quote:
Originally posted by Mart:
stuff

Kellifer will be over the moon.

[ 22.10.2007, 11:15: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
I watched Dirty Dancing last night, and loved every second, like some sappy girl. I even cried at the 'lift' at the end. No, I'm not proud.

Yep, me too, to all of the above.
I'm pretty sure that was the first video I ever bought too.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
Bill Muwway was great. I liked it when Dana says she's going to 'put the baby down' as in bed, and then Bill Muwway says he'll do it, and then goes to the baby "you're short, and your belly button sticks out too far". Lol, you think he's going to put the baby to bed, but instead he just 'puts its down' in a different way lolll.

He also says 'and you're a terrible burden upon your mother' or something - this is about the only line, apart from 'you are like the buzzing of flies to him!' that I remember from that film.

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:

Also, Californication, which was most enjoyable. Mainly watched it because of Benway's recommendation, so thanks for that, Dr B.

You (and Hades) should also watch 30 Rock - it's very good, and much funnier than Studio 60.

--------------------

Hades
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Hades           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
quote:

You (and Hades) should also watch 30 Rock - it's very good, and much funnier than Studio 60.
I'll catrinly try that.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
last night I watched a semi-documentary called 'zoo' which was about a load of dudes up in Washington State who used to let horses stick it in them, until one dude bit off more than he could chew, and died of internal bleeding. Quite an interesting story, but the film was like 999 crossed with Jam, and not in a good way. Self-conscious 'beautiful' photography of the nearby scenery is put to a soundtrack of ambient flotation tank music and a sparse scattering of painfully slow soundbites from some of the dudes who were involved. Any potentially interesting fictional framing of the incident is marred by the need to stay half in reality, and vice versa. Disjointed, egotistical effort from a self obsessed director. Would work in the chill out room of a club in 1996, but as a film, it's ass. Horse's ass. The only good bit was when a po-faced horse rescuer told of her horror when they were 'rescuing' the stallion involved (only to chop it's cock off moments later as a precaution) and a little horse came up and gave it a blow job.

I'm watching this stuff so you don't have to.

[ 23.10.2007, 05:38: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
if you want to be like me, then there's still loads of places left in the 'experimenta' section of the festival. I'm going to book something for sunday.

The only other film I've got booked so far is this one - "An off-the-wall comedy horror featuring murderous hair extensions".

Anybody else going to watch any films at the LFF?

[ 23.10.2007, 05:52: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
I really wanted to see Mister Lonely (one from my ouvre) as I haven't seen it yet, and am really interested in seeing how they put it together - but sadly, am working. There were about 12 films I circled when I got the broucher through, but will probably see none of them now...

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+