Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Anything remotely to look forward to at the pictures? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Anything remotely to look forward to at the pictures?
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O Christ.

Peter Jackson breaks fresh ground by shooting historical fantasy epic with dragons.

quote:
Téméraire is a terrific meld of two genres that I particularly love - fantasy and historical epic," Jackson laughs. "I can't wait to see Napoleonic battles fought with a squadron of dragons. That's what I go to the movies for."
*wanking gesture*

Is there anything to look forward to at the cinema this autumn?

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of going to see Helen Mirren being the Queen. Well, I am going to see Helen Mirren being the Queen, because my Mum is making me take her.
vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Children of Men looks alright
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a movie coming out based on the book 'Our Band Could Be Your Life', about the 80s/90s US punk and indie scene. It's a... Rockumentary, if you will... about Minor Threat, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, The Circle Jerks, Minutemen, Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets, etc;

I have no idea what the movie's called, though.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, plus, Spidey3, Ghost Rider and the Borat movie.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Oh, American Hardcore

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Dahlia out on Friday based on James Ellroy's second best (after The Big Nowhere) book. Most of Ellroy's books are better than anything else that's ever been written, so the film should be worth a look. Directed by Brian De Palma isn't exactly a copper bottomed seal of approval but he's capable of brilliance (Carlito's Way and... er... that bit in Mission IMpossible where they abseil into the vault) when the mood takes him. Hopefully he'll provide the technical savvy and the source material will provide the plot and character. Advance word is good; probably the only film I've been really looking forward to for the past 12 months.

[ 12.09.2006, 16:55: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an idiot so will therefore enjoy the new Will Ferrell film :mong:

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going with a friend to see This Film Is Not Yet Rated tonight. Looks good.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

clark
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for clark           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about Sofia Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette'. I reckon that might be worth a cinema visit (I think it's out at the end of October). Scoresese is also shooting a remake of the ace 'Infernal Affairs' - so that should be great in theory (if he ever finishes it!).
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bah. The film doesn't need remaking.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

clark
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for clark           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
bah. The film doesn't need remaking.

agreed! but i still think this could be pretty decent film.
Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We warched Little Miss Sunshine last night which was (predictably) brilliant. Great cast, wonderful script.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to see The Black Dahlia yesterday and was kind of disappointed. I knew in my heart of hearts that it probably wasn't going to be as good as L.A. Confidential, but I really wanted it to be.

So. The bad news is that it's not awesomely brilliant. Josh Hartnett does a decent job with Bucky Bleichert, but he's simply not a strong enough actor to carry the entire film. If you look at Dahlia's greatest precessors - films like Chinatown and The Big Sleep - you're talking about leading men like Jack Nicholson and Humphrey Bogart. Josh Hartnett is hardly in the same league, and the movie suffers as a result. Also the pacing is a bit off. The story requires that a portion of the start of the film is spent with everything going fantastically well for the main characters, which means the first 20 minutes or so are a bit dramaless. And the ending gets kind of fucked up due to one of the most ridiculous acting performances ever captured on film. I can't even begin to describe it, but it belongs to the same league of super-over acting as the guy in the leather trenchcoat in Battle Royale II.

The good news: The movie looks fantastic. It's really beautifully filmed, and there are some incredible shots including a genuinely breathtaking moment involving Aaron Eckhardt's face dominating the foreground as he smokes outside, while Josh Hartnett carries on a conversation way, way towards the back of the house. It's a great moment that fits stylistically and thematically. There are other great moments too: a crazy riot, a fantastic boxing match. The casting videos that the Dahlia made before her death are appropriately pathetic and the details of her demise are haunting enough that you can believe that the investigators are getting sucked in to hideous depths from which they can't recover. It's just not all great, unfortunately. I think in the end I really badly wanted it to be as brilliant as the book .

The trailer for The Departed looked brilliant though. I think I'll hold off seeing Internal Affairs until I've seen the Scorsese version.

[ 18.09.2006, 05:35: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Black Mask

Aces!

--------------------
sweet

vikram

that looks way better than i thought it would.
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the trailer for Blonde in front of Severance, looks very promising.

I will be seeing Children of Men, and I'm quite up for The Queen, but mostly I'm trying not to get myself in too much of a lather over the prospect of new Fascist Spain set Guillermo Del Toro fantasy opus Pan's Labyrinth.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

vikram

Saw Borat last night. It translates pretty well from small to big screen. I hate to say it, but it works. The beginning, set in his home village, is brilliant. Horribly stereotypes of course, but very very witty. The America stuff is a series of vignittes similar to the tv show (perhaps scenes from it - don't know, don't watch it), tied together with a roadtrip to LA plot. There were moments where I found myself laughing out loud. The audience - and mostly they didn't look like imbeciles - clapped and cheered several times during the movie. For whole sections I'd have my hand over my mouth, gasping / cringeing at Borat's latest stunt. My main problem: what was real and what was staged? Most of it is acted, I am sure. Which is a pity.

Anyway, as someone that doesn't much like Sascha Baron Cohen's stuff (especially Ali G), I give this 7/10.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight I am going to watch 'Keane', which promises to be miserable and distressing. If I don't rush straight from the NFT into the Thames then I might report back tomorrow. But here are my predicted keywords: "Heart breaking", "stunning central performance", "cool, restrained direction", "sensitive". As you may have guessed, it is not about the violent Manchester United football player of the same name.

[ 27.09.2006, 11:00: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
Tonight I am going to watch 'Keane', which promises to be miserable and distressing.

-
Indeed.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can tell that big faced tom is thinking about how wasted he's going to get in the very near future. He looks kind of...tense..

[ 28.09.2006, 07:53: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Thorn Davis

Just got back from seeing The Departed. Now that is the motherfucking good shit.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a Hollywood remake of Infernal Affairs...

Hmpf. That's what I have to sat about The Departed. I was all excited about it, but did he give Infernal Affairs ANY credit whatsoever? Nope.

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll still go see it though.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also just got back from seeing The Departed. It truly is the motherfuckiing good shit.
4 and a half Garys. Only missed the 5 for being slightly too long so I sat for the last 45 minutes with legs crossed wishing I hadn't had the Bucket-'o-Diet-Coke.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be using one of my free tickets (1/3) to go and see it, probably in the week next week.

Also looking forward to;

Borat
Spiderman 3

and the new bond trailer looks great.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Watched Akira and City of the Living Dead, both of which I've seen before. Both good in their own way. I heard Kermode talking about The Departed, and decided against it, having already seen Infernal Affairs plenty of times.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
A fascinating update there. In other media news, I bought Metroid 2 for the Gamecube and had a go last night, getting as far as just past the first boss. While doing this, I also listened to the new Adam and Joe Coke music podcasts. On saturday I downloaded and listened to a fair bit of Necro,who has got to the most pervy rapper alive.

-

as well as The Bladerunner Soundtrack, an Ed Bogas soundtrack, and went down memory lane with some of those 'mash up' things that I did a years or so ago. I also watched two episodes of the Brittas Empire on Bravo, and watched Extras and Adult Swim on Teleport Replay. And I had a few rounds on a Mario themed Reversi against Louise using our DS Lites while at the launderette, and she beat me every time.

I'm becoming slightly obssessed with some of the Adult Swim stuff, namely Sealab 2021 and Tom Goes To the Mayor.

[ 09.10.2006, 05:31: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consumed:
2 x glasses white wine
1 x beer - fosters (can)
slice of chocolate cake
roast dinner
pringles BBq flavour (approx 7)
lemon cake 2 slices
rice crispies (multivitamin) with soya milk (so good chilled)
BLT sandwhich
Mango frappe
Organic Musli, soya milk
Fajitas x 3
Mini jaffa cakes x 6

Highs:
Halo 2 went up three levels (now level 19)
Finished "The Game" by Neil Strauss
Met with large group of friends - sociable

Lows:
Shopping Centre failure to buy anything
Failed attempt at sex with partner
Masturbated to sky xxx phonesex channel with the sound off.
Failed to kiss female friends on cheek and overcome intimacy issues.
Failed to identify alpha male of group
Failed to become alpha male of group

[ 09.10.2006, 06:06: Message edited by: not... ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
that's quite a lot of eating there, not. I attempted to deep fry some quid last night. I was suspicious of the recipe suggesting that I could simply 'coat the squid in flour' and then drop into the oil. As I suspected, the flour just fell off, sank to the bottom of the pan, and burned. It created a huge thick cloud of smoke that soaked into every piece of clothing that wasn't shut away. I said to Louise just before I put it in, I said "Surely I should have made some batter rather than just using flour!?". I used a self raising flour/cornflour mix that I bought as Tempura flour, but it didn't help. Anyway, as a result, I reek of burned oil today. The squid was okay, but kind of tasteless and tough.

Other things I ate were a stir fry, some kind of sushi hand roll cornet from Wasabi, and a flame grilled meat in a bun thingy from a kebab shop by the launderette. Also had some pringles, which left me feeling sick and ashamed. And I drank around 10 bottles of beer and 3 pints over the course of the weekend.

Sorry to hear about your wank / alpha male thing, not. The best thing to do is just cut contact with all other men. Then you're always alpha male.

[ 09.10.2006, 06:25: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was over the course of a weekend so not too much really. I'm going to have to eat some more japanese food soon. I really really have a yearning for some terriyaki chicken and beef cooked on a teppan table. I'd like to have some sushi with it but I have only eaten california rolls, which, I think are salmon. Which is not really very adventurous is it?

Man I'm hungry.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best way to do it is coat in flour, dip in egg and then roll in breadcrumbs - so you have a little production line going

then plate that and let it sit in the fridge before frying

fry hot, bit by bit so oil doesn't drop in temperature

robert is the brother of one of your parents

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:

Sorry to hear about your wank / alpha male thing, not. The best thing to do is just cut contact with all other men. Then you're always alpha male.

Not necessarily. You might still be a beta male, or worse, and everybody would know it, and whenever an alpha male walked past, just to go to the bar to get some more pints, maybe scratching his ballsac as he goes, swaggering a bit, all the ladies around you would be sneaking glances at him, thinking 'now there's an alpha. Why are we stuck with this delta piece of shit? Life's so unfair.' Sorry about this.

Hello, by the way.

[ 09.10.2006, 06:31: Message edited by: London ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I like the big slabs of raw tuna.

eta: Hello.

[ 09.10.2006, 06:35: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
california rolls don't necessarily have anything in them except the (dressed) rice. at home i make them with cucumber or avocado, but you can pop anything you want in there really - prawn, crab stick, etc.

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+