Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Recommend a film that you think is an OK film (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Recommend a film that you think is an OK film
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just signed up for Amazons dvd rental thing and only managed to add 9 titles this morning. Can you recommend some movies that you think I should see before I die. Preferrably with a link to amazon.

So far I got.
Hot Fuzz
The Prestige (read the book, found it quite interesting)
Children of Men
Borat
The Da Vinci Code (I know, I'm a bit embarrassed about this)
Russell Brand Live (I am so not cool)
Elephant I've always wanted to watch this.
Blood Diamond (bit worried about leonard di crapio, but whatever)
cars (not for me, honest)

Well, a bit of a sad and shameful list I've got there. HELP. Films to watch.

[ 08.05.2007, 10:05: Message edited by: Tilde ]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
La Scorta

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down By Law

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Jour de Fete

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Ichi the Killer

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

White Heat

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend adding everything wot Kubrick done, that you haven't seen. Everything he touches is just golden and worth watching. I saw Barry Lyndon for the first time this weekend, and it was absolutely incredible. Every single shot of the film was beautiful, every moment perfectly pitched. It's basically film about how this Irish dude infiltrates English society and RUINS EVERYTHING because the Irish are a bunch of money grubbing, potato-faced bog trotting jerks with no regard for anyone but themselves and no skill at anything except lying and self-preservation.

So yeah. Apart from the entire Kubrick... have you ever seen Seven Samurai? That's a definite 'watch before you die' movie. For some reason it always gets lumped into lists of dreary classics that noone can be fucked to sit through, but it's actually incredibly fast paced, very funny and at least as exciting as Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is three hours long - but that's only 20 minutes longer than DaVinci code, and it's really watchable all the way through.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Black Mask

Wages of Fear

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Coup de Torchon

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

The Odd Couple

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yellowbeard - Carry On film, but made by the Pythons + Peter Cook + Marty Feldman + Cheech & Chong. Lots of people think it's crap, but they haven't got a fucking clue so ignore them.
Black Mask

Les 400 Coups

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Kiss Me Deadly

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

School for Scoundrels

--------------------
sweet

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
battle of algiers
brick
pretty persuasion
lone wolf and cub
wu tang live on stage (whatever its called)
metropolis
that mountain man film with robert redford.

Black Mask

The Happiness of the Katakuris

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Leningrad Cowboys Go America

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Hamlet Gets Business
...anything by Aki Kaurismaki, actually.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Good recommendation from dang, and that reminded me of Young Frankenstein

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Haneke's Funny Games.

quote:

Two psychotic young men take a mother, father, and son hostage in their vacation cabin and force them to play sadistic "games" with one another for their own amusement.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ghost in the shell
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny Games has been sitting in my Amazon basket for a while, although I haven't pressed the go button yet. It does look OK, though.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I was going to say Dr. Strangelove, but that's already been covered.

La Haine

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
Funny Games has been sitting in my Amazon basket for a while, although I haven't pressed the go button yet. It does look OK, though.

It's a really horrible depressing movie. But, at least it's not bland.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:

La Haine

La Haine rocks.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
scanners + videodrome (double bill)
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Taking of Pelham 123
Millers crossing
the thing
the scarecrow
the passenger

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Black Mask

The Burning

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Bad Day at Black Rock

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

The Cars that Ate Paris

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
no, not The Burning. I mean, it's alright but it's hardly 'must see'.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
The Cars that Ate Paris

I have this on DVD. Excellent film.
Black Mask

Stir

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Chopper

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
on that link to the burning there are some more interesting films listed - Cannibal Holocaust, The Beyond, Zombie Flesh Eaters and The House By the Cemetary are probably must-see if you want to get an overview of sleazy Euro-horror, but then, you know, few people do. Few people do.

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+