Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Society » Tomatoverdose? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Tomatoverdose?
Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jnhoj:
I had a fudge and a bottle of coke this morning for breakfast. for lunch another bottle of coke and the saltiest, white breadiest egg and cress sandwich forever.

Too much salt is very bad for you, it can cause high blood pessure and strokes, which are hemarrages of blood vessles in the brain which can leave you crippled, brain damaged or even dead.
ally
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ally           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no such thing as too much salt. Haven't you ever eaten fried plantain?

Just out of interest, does anyone here run? I mean, in garish trainers, for more than 50 yards to the bus stop? I've just started running, and I'm unbelievably shit at it. I only started because I was persuaded to enter a race. I'll come last, or near to last. I'll be lapped by pensioners. The ignominy.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ally:
I've just started running, and I'm unbelievably shit at it.

How can you be shit at running? Can you just not run very well, sort of like just not getting enough speed to constitute running or do you mean that you flail your arms in a windmill fashion, whooping and hollering and making Wallace and Gromit lip biting faces. Little eeks as you veer towards lamposts or people at the bustop. I must know.

My friend got tanked up and tried to ride his bike home. He fell asleep and was awoken as he cycled into a fence face on. Try not drinking five glasses of wine before running. This may help.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats strange, you were excellent at running through my mind all night long!

I er. er. sorry.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

ally
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ally           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jnohj - is that a compliment, or are you being vulgar?

nwod - I once introduced a friend to absinthe. He tried to cycle home. He doesn't remember it taking 3 attempts to get him on his bike, nor does he remember cycling across the road and into my neighbour's car. In fact, The only thing he does remember is getting into a fight with a taxi driver somewhere in the environs of Tufnell Park. After seeing that, I swore to only get pissed if I knew I was getting a taxi home. Whatever I drink though, its got nothing to do with my crap running. I bought proper trainers and everything, and I'm still hopeless.

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you'd just started running, right ally? You'd be surprised at just how fast you improve. I don't run at the moment (Well, apart from under extreme duress. Apparently, I run like a girl. Like I mean. Cuh!) But I have trained for 5 and 10km runs in the past and the improval rate training 3 to 4 times a week is pretty impressive. I remember training for my first 5km run for Breast Cancer and within 2 weeks I gave up smoking and my speed and endurance increased dramatically and really quickly.

Obviously as soon as I'd finished the run (yes, literally) I was in the pub with a vodka coke and a cigarette but then I have no self control. [Roll Eyes]

Seriously girl, stick with it and you'll see improvements in no time at all!

--------------------
uberwench

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and strokes, which are hemarrages of blood vessles in the brain
Most strokes, especially in the west, are caused by a local thrombus or blockage of a blood vessel leading to cerebral infarction, only a small proportion are hemorrhagic strokes.

Ackchully.

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ally:
Just out of interest, does anyone here run? I mean, in garish trainers, for more than 50 yards to the bus stop? I've just started running, and I'm unbelievably shit at it.

You don't need to run to keep fit, just walk a lot, or ride a bicycle. Walking or cycling a few miles a day will easily keep you fit.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question for Dr Carter, regarding exercise and stuff.

About ten years ago I could do half an hour's brisk step aerobics before getting a sharp pain in my upper chest, going down my arm and making me breathless. A couple of years ago this would happen after about 10 minutes running on the treadmill. Last Friday, it happened, quite nastily, after two songs on the dancefloor. Am I a) about to drop dead? or b) hideously unfit?

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello herbs! Clearly, I am not Carter, but if you're worried about the pains and you want some speedy advice, you could call NHS Direct. I don't know the number, but I reckon if you google them you'd be able to find it pretty quickly. They do over the phone health advice - I think in an attempt to cut down the number of people clogging up GP waiting rooms - and I think the phones are staffed by nurses/other medically qualified people. Anyway. I hear they're very good.
Louise
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Louise           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Is there a real tomato in a beef and tomato pot noodle?

Scarily, I happened to pick one of these up this morning. Yes, there is actual tomato in a beef and tomato not poodle, in both the sauce and the extra sachet of tomato ketchup for flavouring. They are, however, suitable for vegetarians, which has me eternally amused.

Ben, have you tried liquorice? It can have a laxative effect, so is very good for cleaning your bowels and they advise eating two pieces a day to help keep you regular. Panda is the best. They make really nice comfits, quite pricey but worth every penny, and they also make sticks and pieces in boxes. The chocolate flavoured liquorice (in the box) is very nice too. Marginally less healthy due to added sugar and stuff, but Liquorice Allsorts aren't too bad for you either, I believe.

Halva is quite good too, but very sickly sweet.

--------------------
Because fat guys always win at see-saw

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have put on two fucking stone grrrrrrr

stupid england and yummy foods
stupid wine
stupid me

i did go on four hour walk around king's cross / clerkenwell / shoreditch yesterday. galleries and trips down memory lane. gargosian which had a lovely concrete floor and rubbish art. the griffin is still skanky stripper pub. white cube had free beer and primary colours. beer has calories. primary colours are pretty.

when will it be sunny?

vikram

also: if you eat too many carrots and maybe tomoatoes your skin turns orange / red. is this true?
miffysocks
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for miffysocks           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone help me with my huger problem I have at the mo? For the last week or so I’m always hungry, I’m trying be good about it and snack on the those snack a jack things but my belly is crying for chocolate milkshakes and puddings with custard or ice cream… yummy

Not even smoking is working.

--------------------
New for 2005 - STD FREE!!

Greenpeace is just like the BNP, just with like…seals and stuff

Astromariner
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You crave sugary things because... because you're not eating enough... sugar. Therefore you need more! You must away to your local supermarket and spend all your money on ice-cream and biscuits. You can beat this thing, I know it.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by miffysocks:
Can anyone help me with my huger problem I have at the mo? For the last week or so I’m always hungry, I’m trying be good about it and snack on the those snack a jack things but my belly is crying for chocolate milkshakes and puddings with custard or ice cream… yummy

Not even smoking is working.

Sounds like diabetes, or leukaemia.

--------------------
sweet

herbs

I have succumbed to the diet industry con / patriarchal society / repeated bashing on head with stereotype of thin-ness, spurred on by the fact that I can't get into last year's summer skirts any more, and have embarked on a high-protein, low-carb diet. It's not Atkins, honest, more an Atkins-lite. I can drink! But not beer. And i can eat nuts! But not cashews or peanuts. I can have caffeine! but not coffee, and not too much milk, now. Beware the hidden sugar. And i can eat fruit! But only oranges. I can have a bourbon biscuit - just one now - but not a bagel.

After a couple of days I think I can discern some shrinkage, but that could be my internal organs withering.

According to the man who wrote the book, this diet shouldn't shaft the metabolism, causing gain of two stone the instant a custard cream passes my lips, as it's only low in carbohydrates, not calories. But frankly it's hard to find much to eat when potatoes, bread, biscuits, pasta, rice, etc etc aren't allowed. Snacking on a piece of gruyere loses its appeal pretty quickly.

Oh, and I'm supposed to exercise. can anyone recommend exercise videos that aren't hideously embarrassing to watch, or thinly disguised tug material involving Rachel Hunter in a high-cut pair of pants? I could go out running, but I hate running with a fierce passion.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
I am going to a proper posh restaurant with my Mum tonight, and I am going to eat until I am sick.
Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
also: if you eat too many carrots and maybe tomoatoes your skin turns orange / red. is this true?

Carrots contain beta carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A, and it can affect the hue of the skin. But, you would need to take approx 60mg of beta carotene a day to risk this. I don't know how many mg of beta carotene there are in the average carrot, but I think if you were a normal carrot eater, you'd be fine. This wouldn't happen with tomatoes as they don't contain beta carotene, but other foods that do include spinach, red peppers, mango, melon and apricots.

Some people like to take a b.c supplement prior to going on holiday as it helps the body to tan more easily, although if you are a smoker you shouldn't take it as it allegedly increases your chances of getting lung cancer. I think smokers are safe with carrots though.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoibage

What diet is it you're doin then?
Briffa? South Beach?

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

herbs

quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
Hoibage

What diet is it you're doin then?
Briffa? South Beach?

Bracer - similar. It is the 'new high-protein diet' which I got free with a copy of She magazine. I kinda need something strict, rather than just telling myself that one more Mars bar won't hurt, or that I'll go running tomorrow. I need discipline, shackles and whips.

Incidentally, you'll all be no doubt relieved to know that my chest pains are merely muscle spasms, according to the doctor. Phew, eh readers?

vikram

i was planning on being healthy. a salad every day at freud's. with fetah on it, but still. and avocado. erm. with a bloody mary. two in fact. they make the best bloody marys.

only drinking vodka from now on. everything else is bad for you.

how much does liposuction cost?

Boy Racer
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On further health related issues, what's good for one's kidneys?

[ 04.06.2004, 08:43: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------

vikram

has anyone had lasik done? is that what it's called? the laser eye surgery.

it costs a grand i think. i spend about £250 a year on contacts, so in four years it will have paid for itself. contacts are annoying. especially when you forget to take them out because you are too pissed.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
quote:
Lots of water.

The proper-posh restaurant was a bit disapointing. Nothing unpleasent about the food, just a bit of a letdown for the price. I had lamb - it was a lump of lamb. Nice lamb, but just that, nothing else. My brother had breaded veal, which came with half a lemon. Not a vegetable or side dish in sight, or mention on the menu.

Also the fire alarm kept going off and we all had to go outside for 20 mins. The restraunt manager chap said he was "shamed and embarassed" and thanked us for "comprehending" which was cute. We also got some free stuff, so that was ok.

Boy Racer
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
quote:
Lots of water.
What about some sort of potion to magically restore them to functionality?

Milkthistle?

Uberwitch, someone, tell me a kidney restorer potion please.

--------------------

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard milk thistle and also artichoke extract, although that may be liver as well the kidneys. I need my magik bokes which are at home, but I'll burn some sage and check later for you kitten.

I'll sell you one of mine for a gazillion pouns, but its probably not in much of a better state than yours.

[ 04.06.2004, 10:12: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Butter, shallots, black pepper and dry sherry.

--------------------
sweet

Boy Racer
Lollo.

I am actually a bit worried, I have had lower back pain a couple of times recently after (not that much) booze.

I went to the GP about it a while back and he did a test on my kidney function which came back fine, but I still keep getting the pains.

I'll just have to fucking go back again I suppose.

--------------------

Astromariner
This is probably a stupid question, but are you sure it's not a muscular pain?
Boy Racer
I'm pretty sure it's not muscular, I'd be much happier if that's what it was.

It seems to only be happening after I've been drinking though.
I've had it before a few months ago, when I went to the doctor's, then again a couple of weeks ago (which stimulated my pub avoidance last friday), and again now after the bank holiday/Pixies.

It is like a dull throbby ache around my lower back but moves about a bit from left to right over time, last week it was more to the left, this to the right.

--------------------

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
quote:
I'm pretty sure it's not muscular, I'd be much happier if that's what it was. It seems to only be happening after I've been drinking though.

Well it could be similar to gout which is when crystals caused by alcohol form in the joints of the feet. In your case the crysrtals could be forming in the joints of your spine. Either that or it is a condition which is aggrevated by alcohol. It could be mild arthritis.
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Home-made barley water is apparently a good kidney cleanse (boil barley, save water disgard barley, mix with lemon juice and drink), and rosehip tea. Good hydration is essential so include watery fruit and veg in diet (cucumber, celery, watermelon etc) as well as making sure you're drinking enough water, natch. Reducing salt intake too. It could also be to do with your adrenals through being stressed and shizzle?

If you want a really bizarre connection, you have a knee injury right? Well, the bladder meridian which runs on both sides of the body down the neck, back, and outside of the legs to the ball of the foot and governs the kidney, liver and bladder. Perhaps your knee injury is causing an imbalance in that meridian. If you believe in that kinda thing, that is.

Anyway, keep hydrated and go back and see your GP. If at first you don't suceed etc.

[ 04.06.2004, 12:16: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is your kidneys then drinking water is good, although drinking "too much" is apparently bad because they then have to work harder than normal to process all the fluid. It is also advisable to reduce your salt intake too as this increases the levels of urinary calcium which = bad for kidneys.

For kidney stones (calcium oxalate type), taking magnesium citrate and potassium citrate in combination is meant to be very good at reducing urinary calcium levels which helps prevent the stones from forming/worsening.

Milk thistle and artichoke are supposed to benefit the kidneys in some way but their primary use is for the liver.

Boy Racer
Cheers lovely.

Don't suppose beer counts as barley water eh?

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+