Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Rants » It's not much but it's enough (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: It's not much but it's enough
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.doesn't make sense now cos mikee done gone and edited on me.

[ 10.11.2006, 12:23: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done MTV. This photo is from your myspaz:

-

Is that who I think it is?

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. It's fucking \m/ isn't it?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[Cool]

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
throwing some nice shapes there. i can tell he's a legend on the dance floor.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, nice video clip misc.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
is that guy at the back about to spontaneously combust or something?

--------------------

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it wasn't 5.25 i'd suggest we draw Thorn dancing in Paint.

That is, use MS paint to recreate a scene of Thorn dancing. Not a make a picture of Thorn dancing, covered in paint.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
i have a naked thorn mud-wrestling mental image now, thnaks.

--------------------

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jobwank update:

Can't decide if it's just spectacularly inept, or a cunning piece of pre-planned money-saving, but the duties of the secretary who's gone on maternity leave have been divided up amongst the rest of us, and they're not getting a temp in.

We've all been thanked for helping out in the dept's "hour of need", and my line manager is being very polite around me, and didn't mention that I totally forgot to go to a staff meeting earlier this week. So I guess I've accrued some brownie points, but it does annoy me as it's so cheap and lazy. I also think they are depending on the fact that we all know and like the woman who's on leave, and don't want to be seen to be difficult.

Work is such bullshit.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How often do you have appraisals or a formalised opportunity to talk to your manager about your development? You should definitely bring this up in defence of a request for a pay rise. If you only have an appraisal once a year, then my advice would be to ask for an interim meeting to discuss your role etc and ask for more bucks then.

They wouldn't automatically offer extra money for this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean they'll refuse a reasonable request.

Shy bairns get nowt.

[ 17.11.2006, 06:01: Message edited by: Dedalus ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given a suprise pay rise recently on account of Continuing Achievements in the Field of Awesomeness. Maybe that'll cheer you up, VP?
Dedalus
TMO Member
Do they encourage awesomeness in the workplace, Jimmy? That's fucken' enlightened!
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We celebrate awesomeness at the company where I work. In fact we're passionate about it, and embrace it as one of our values and givens.
Dedalus
TMO Member
Our core values are:

• Awesomeness
  • Sweetness
  • Rockingness

Dedalus
TMO Member
We used to have:

• Ass-kickingness

as well, but it was a legal minefield.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done, Benway- hope things are beginning to straighten up a bit for you.

It's not so much about the money; taking on another 5 academics for 6 months I couldn't realistically ask for anything that would make a massive difference to my monthly takehome. It's the assumption of willingness to "pitch in" that grates, and the way it's phrased as though maternity leave is some kind of emergency, instead of a routine event that management have months to plan for.

I had a modest payrise in October, and we're all having stupid HR-invented PDRP meetings soon. I will certainly mention that I think it's been badly handled.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dedalus:
Our core values are:

• Awesomeness
  • Sweetness
  • Rockingness

Interestingly enough, the 'core values' where I work (for the next six hours, anyway), actually read like a satire of corporate values.

quote:

Progress
We aim for continuous improvement and quick response to change.
We promote the principles of sustainable development in our work.
We seek creative solutions for our customers and ourselves.

Respect
We respect the natural environment and community in which we work.
We value the rich diversity in the talents of all people and cultures.
We treat each other with the respect we would want from others.

Integrity
We promise only what we can deliver.
We uphold our professional codes and take responsibility for our actions.
We promote a culture of safety and aim to provide a safe working environment.

Drive
We strive to exceed the expectations of our customers.
We work hard but encourage fun and fulfilment.
We seek success.

Excellence
We strive to maintain high technical, professional and safety standards.
We seek to innovate and look beyond the obvious.
We are proud of our achievements and aim to improve with experience

If you notice, the first letter of each spells out the word PRIDE (as in proud of your work, not Gay Pride or anything). They don't just throw this shit together.

I also like 'we promise only what we can deliver', which gives you a nice out clause. If someone says "can you do this brochure for me?" I can say "No, sorry. Not a chance," and claim I'm upholding the core values of the company.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole awesomeness thing is relatively new, and as an unfortunate result of my continuing achievements, I've now been designated as a 'Field Leader'. I've got to do a talk in the cafeteria on the kind of issues associated with awesomeness, and arrange a role play workshop to demonstrate techniques and spark debate. To be honest, I wish I'd been less obviously awesome, but it pays the bills I suppose.
mart
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
If you notice, the first letter of each spells out the word PRIDE

My company does this with RESPECT, but I can't remember what it spells out, as I was given a piece of paper with it written on when I started and told "these are our core values". As you say, people actually sit down and work this stuff out.

We also have snazzily designed visuals hanging down from the ceiling with a foxy model on, the word RESPECT and each letter from the word singled out indicating something about how ace we are.

I've just looked and noticed there's one almost directly above my head, which is all about empowerment.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Being a contractor is exce, I can ignore all that HR gubbins completely. Plus I get paid better than the permanents! Everyone's (well I am) a winner!

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
Being a contractor is exce, I can ignore all that HR gubbins completely.

Er... what do you think that permanent members of staff do with it? Learn it off by heart and recite it in front of the mirror, hand on heart and gazing syward every morning?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
My company does this with RESPECT, but I can't remember what it spells out,

Reliability
Excellence
Superbness
Perfection
Enhancement
Compassion
Transition

New Way Of Decay

I can't even begin to type about my job. Give me time.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I don't even have to pay it lip service though, Thorn. I don't just mean the values stuff, either, I mean the personal development and empowerment and appraisals and all that crap.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

But I know this: the big bad company made one of the temps go over to their building and do a job of which I've applied (and sort of/kind of booked my interview) for and left today. So now we are a team member down and I have to start training a new person on Monday.

--------------------

mart
quote:
I don't even have to pay it lip service though, Thorn. I don't just mean the values stuff, either, I mean the personal development and empowerment and appraisals and all that crap.

Are you sure? The company has hired you to work for them and would surely expect you, as part of the service you provide, to upohold their core values, no? Basically to do as good a job as you can, which is what it's all about really innit.
Dedalus
TMO Member
quote:

1) I don't think anyone is asked to pay lip-service to core values. They go in annual reports and in corporate presentations and that's about it.

2) Personal development is probably a load of crap if you're happy to stay in the same job forever. Whether you do it yourself or whether you do it with your company, it stops you getting bored doing the same thing all the time, and also helps you get a better job with more cash. At least that's my experience.

3) Appraisals can be crap or they can be useful. If it's a two-way street where you feel you're being listened to and can give feedback about your manager, the organisation etc then it's useful. Plus you can do things like ask for development, more money, etc etc.

I think it's easy to dismiss if you're a contractor, but then you do your own development by moving from contract to contract (assuming you don't do the same job each time). As a permanent employee within a good organisation you do the same thing (i.e. you push for it) as it's less likely that your company will come to you unprompted and ask you if you want to work towards a promotion.

It's easy to say "yeah, I'm my own person, I don't have to listen to those suits and their values and crap", but in fairness I think there can be some very positive things coming out of the whole process if it is done correctly.

New Way Of Decay

But doesn't a contractor get paid on the merits of their core values? Presumably H1ppy sells herself with traits in the bullshit above, because you'd probably not hire an accountant whose values were

Letching at the hot charity boy
Arsing around on the internet
Zzzzzzzzz-ing under the desk
Yay! I like biscuits. Let's all stop to have a cup of tea.

--------------------

mart
What's a "hot charity boy?"
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by mart:
What's a "hot charity boy?"

A boy who works for a hot charity e.g. Save the Japanese Schoolgirls.
New Way Of Decay

An attractive person who is not normally a boy, but does so out of their own goodwill.

--------------------

Dedalus
TMO Member
NWOD's great at these cryptic clues.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I go to lunch and look what happens...

I am good at what I do. I get paid well for it. I am good and get paid well because I have personal ethics, integrity, intelligence and commitment. I don't need this to be couched in terms of core 'values' or 'personal strengths' or 'development opportunities' for this to be the case.

I'm not saying that a good personal development programme or appraisal system is pointless - it's just that a lot of the time these systems are not good, they pay lip service to buzzwords and are readily manipulated to get the desired result in accordance with management preference and office politics, which renders the whole process somewhat pointless.

"I like X, he agrees with me in meetings and works late at no notice without complaining! Let's call that excellent interpersonal skills and commitment to delivery". "I don't like Y, he won't work on away jobs or at weekends(because e.g. he has small children) - let's call him inflexible and unwilling to compromise".

These are somewhat silly examples, however greyish shades of this stuff goes on the whole time. I just feel better off out of it, that's all.

--------------------

Dedalus
TMO Member
I agree with you, but what you're saying here is a bit different from what looked like you dismissing all such things out of hand.

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+