Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Rants » What did your last slave die of? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What did your last slave die of?
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
quote:
Originally posted by McDirts:
Oh and always an aisle seat. What level of drongo thinks a window seat is a good option?

What's the point of going 20,000 feet up in the air and then not being able to see what it fucking looks like? You miss all that just so you can get to the toilet about 3 seconds quicker?

But I am starting to understand why they offer the choice.

pffft, I've seen the view out of an airplane window plenty enough times to appreciate more the freedom and extra leg room an aisle seat provides.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and aisle seat. Like Big Nuts says, for the drink mainly. You can lean out conspiratorially to a passing steward/ess and say "I know it's early, but... could I get another vodka martini?" I find you can generally do this about six or seven times before they twig that you're an alcoholic and not an engaging bon viveur.

--------------------
sweet

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
pffft, I've seen the view out of an airplane window plenty enough times to appreciate more the freedom and extra leg room an aisle seat provides.

You never know when you might have a "bird strike." At least that would be something to see.

ETA: oops, "Bird Strike" not "Bird Event."

[ 29.01.2009, 10:11: Message edited by: rooster ]

McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
you're an alcoholic and not an engaging bon viveur.

As long as you have some level of unearned income you'll never be an alcoholic.
McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by rooster:

You never know when you might have a "bird event." At least that would be something to see. [/QUOTE]

You mean like one of the Stewardess fillies giving the old chap a bit of a nosh during a long haul to Singapore? Had that happen countless times whilst sat in the aisle seat.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I don't have any unearned income.

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
quote:

sorry old chap, you'll always be an alcoholic then.
Black Mask

quote:
quote:

sorry old chap, you'll always be an alcoholic then.
Oh, well... still, parlaying a single complimentary drink into six or seven vodka martinis is still pretty good going. Thanks mainly to aisle seat positioning, I'm sure.

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, we've established that the romantics go for the window seats and the fantasists go for the aisle seats.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The equation is changed when there is an obvious reason someone should have this benefit: they are old

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rooster:
[qb]The only reason I brought it up is I was surprised at the reaction it got an another thread about 'entitlement' (when I wrote it in that thread it had been the most recent example). I think any time people assume that their needs are more important than anyone else's without real justification they are being entitled:

I'm sorry, rooster but I simply don't agree with your understanding of 'entitlement' because it borders on the fact that you expect to be the judge of it based on your own agenda. Basically, you think that because you're pregnant you have some sense of entitlement. You don't. Society dictates that we treat pregnant women with respect and care just in the same way we would a 65 year old women. Not everyone adheres to it though. Other people don't have to open a door for you, or give up a seat for you. They choose to, fuelled by the notion it's the correct and right thing to do. Just as you choose to refuse someones request to place their bag under the chair in front of your husbands legs (I'm not sure as the description seems to be ambiguous. Under the chair in front...under froops feet. Can't work it out) or move your vehicle so they can put some furniture in. It might just be how it comes across, but it's coming across as smugly sanctimonius.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Black Mask

Anyway... this arrogance and entitlement thing seems to know no borders or barriers of rank, class, race, creed or colour. I was well used to it in Chelsea, but it's still going on in Peckham. There's a sort of porterage thing going on in most of the big grocery stores on Rye Lane and the Bengali porters are made to fucking HOP by the African women who shop there. They scream at them, hit them with umbrellas, curse them out... and they're only buying a 20kg bag of rice and some cho-cho.

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
what ho!
Black Mask

Also... I'm stunned. I always thought rooster was nice. Turns out she's got a really nasty side.

--------------------
sweet

rooster
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rooster:
[qb]The only reason I brought it up is I was surprised at the reaction it got an another thread about 'entitlement' (when I wrote it in that thread it had been the most recent example). I think any time people assume that their needs are more important than anyone else's without real justification they are being entitled:

I'm sorry, rooster but I simply don't agree with your understanding of 'entitlement' because it borders on the fact that you expect to be the judge of it based on your own agenda. Basically, you think that because you're pregnant you have some sense of entitlement. You don't. Society dictates that we treat pregnant women with respect and care just in the same way we would a 65 year old women. Not everyone adheres to it though. Other people don't have to open a door for you, or give up a seat for you. They choose to, fuelled by the notion it's the correct and right thing to do. Just as you choose to refuse someones request to place their bag under the chair in front of your husbands legs (I'm not sure as the description seems to be ambiguous. Under the chair in front...under froops feet. Can't work it out) or move your vehicle so they can put some furniture in. It might just be how it comes across, but it's coming across as smugly sanctimonius.
I suppose it does put me in the position of being the arbiter of who is more deserving, but we all do that. I try to base everything on logic, and to me, tall person with cramped feet needs more room than short person who can't reach the floor. If someone can argue the opposite, then I'd consider that point of view, but no one has been able to do that.

Granted, there are some things I do purely out of politeness, like hold open doors for people, but it annoys me when societal politeness overrides logic. For example, the idea that a man who is encumbered with a tray of coffee cups should still hold the door open for a woman w/free hands.

Black Mask

quote:
it annoys me when societal politeness overrides logic.

Maybe you're a Vulcan?

--------------------
sweet

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol
McDirts
TMO Member
But surely the fellow's Man would be carrying the coffee cups, leaving the gent free to hold the door open for the little lady..?
Black Mask

McDirts URBWICM£5

--------------------
sweet

rooster
quote:
quote:

Maybe you're a Vulcan?
That would be awesome, then I could cheat death!
McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
McDirts URBWICM£5

Bertie would never get a blow job off a stewardess. Try again.
Black Mask

quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe you're a Vulcan?
That would be awesome, then I could cheat death!
Maybe not, if you were a Chelsea Vulcan.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
quote:
McDirts URBWICM£5

Bertie would never get a blow job off a stewardess. Try again.
LOL

"Jeeves, the crack-pipe and quick about it. Gussie's got some gear."

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of boozing on public transport, I had an odd experience on my way down to Bournemouth the weekend before Christmas. I was sat on a table on a train, and there was a guy opposite me - a cuple of years older, maybe - making his way alternately through cans of Stella and some vodka Red Bulls. About 45 minutes into the journey, he mixed himself a fresh Vodka Red Bull, and went to pick it up and knocked it forward. Flooded the table; flooded me. Had proper 'pissed yourself' trousers. I was reading at the time so the whole thing seemed a bit detached. I sort of sensed that I should get angry, but I didn't really care that much: there wasn't a lot that could be done. So without a word, I grabbed my bag, went off to the toilets and changed my trousers. I wasn't really sure about how to handle things from there, whether I should go back and start yelling at the guy, or change seats, or just pick up my book like nothing had happened.

Heading back to the seat the guy started apologising really profusely - as you would, I guess - I said it didn't matter and that I'd have been more annoyed if it wasn't exactly the kind of thing I did on occasion. So he kept saying how bad he felt, and then he gave me tenner, which made me feel worse than having the drink spilt on me. So I offered to use the money to get us both a couple of drinks, at which point he plonked a can of Stella in front of me, which gave a wrenching feeling of taking advantage of his guilt. Anyway. We had quite a nice chat from that point on about marriage and kids and life and work and that.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this idea of a heavily pregnant rooster sitting in the ailse seat, drinking vodka martinis while an old lady and a removal team wait impatiently on with a piano.

--------------------

McDirts
TMO Member
I was dashed if I didn't go down the Drones and get knocked from pillar to post by Gussie Fink-Nottle caught in the grips of a frightful cluck for more Crstal Meth.
"Wooster, you terrible **** ," he bawled, "Just give me the fucking trust-fund before I start cutting your toes off with these secateurs!"

taken from 'Rock-Up Jeeves' by P.G. Wooster (1934)

Thorn Davis

quote:
I try to base everything on logic, and to me, tall person with cramped feet needs more room than short person who can't reach the floor. If someone can argue the opposite, then I'd consider that point of view, but no one has been able to do that.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you think that people feel discomfort more acutely when they're in their sixties than they do when they're in their thirties. Maybe you're right, though, and people actually get more robust as they get older.
rooster
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
I try to base everything on logic, and to me, tall person with cramped feet needs more room than short person who can't reach the floor. If someone can argue the opposite, then I'd consider that point of view, but no one has been able to do that.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you think that people feel discomfort more acutely when they're in their sixties than they do when they're in their thirties. Maybe you're right, though, and people actually get more robust as they get older.
Man, you don't give up. Her feet would not have been anywhere near the f-ing bag and couldn't be if she tried...unless as you age items begin to radiate affecting molecules in an increasing circle so that by 65, she could feel a bag a full foot from her.
froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I like this idea of a heavily pregnant rooster sitting in the ailse seat, drinking vodka martinis while an old lady and a removal team wait impatiently on with a piano.

It wasn't just that the old woman insisted on putting her piano underfoot, it was that she kept making requests for the remainder of the flight.

Though I have to say my rendition of Eine Kleine Fußmusik went over quite well.

[ 29.01.2009, 10:39: Message edited by: froopyscot ]

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Thorn Davis

quote:
Man, you don't give up. Her feet would not have been anywhere near the f-ing bag and couldn't be if she tried...unless as you age items begin to radiate affecting molecules in an increasing circle so that by 65, she could feel a bag a full foot from her.

That's not correct - you mentioned twice that she'd have more legroom without it.

quote:
like the woman (regardless of age) who thinks she should have leg room that no one else does
quote:
but the fact that she used our culture's respect for age as a way of getting arbitrary benefits (like more leg room) was "bullying" in my mind.

rooster
yep, there would be more leg room in her space regardless of who was sitting there if there were no bag. That didn't mean she needed it or even could use it since her feet didn't reach the floor.

ETA: that was kinda *the point.* She was asking for something just to have it...regardless of any benefit to her. It would be like someone w/perfect eyesight wanting the last pair of glasses just to have them despite the fact that it would do them no good.

[ 29.01.2009, 10:50: Message edited by: rooster ]

New Way Of Decay

I'm 5'2" by the way and I reckon the space between my feet and the floor on a plane is about the depth of a sheet of paper.

--------------------

rooster
quote:
I'm 5'2" by the way and I reckon the space between my feet and the floor on a plane is about the depth of a sheet of paper.

I'm guessing your feet don't extend into the space under the seat in front of you (where bags are stored), which is why you couldn't understand the concept of feet competing w/bags.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

eta: @ nwod, not rooster

[ 29.01.2009, 10:51: Message edited by: ralph ]

Black Mask

quote:

Wove or Laid?

--------------------
sweet

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+