Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Positivity Rules...Reasons to be cheerful... (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 9 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Positivity Rules...Reasons to be cheerful...
Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was the only one GF
Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly I was right.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a packet of fags, and I was looking at them, and on the back was this ace reason to be cheerful:

• Smokers die younger

You see, it's not all bad!

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For years my mum and dad had habit of watching old films and saying "He's dead" as each new actor made their entrance.

"And him." "She's been dead for years." "That one's dead." "How long has she been dead, Gerald?"

I do that; so, touchingly, I am becoming like your mum and dad used to be.

quote:

In 1989 I wrote a letter to the 'me of 1999'

And I fancy doing that -- a letter to the me of 2016 -- so I'm on the level of you-as-a-teenager.

However, both these thoughts make me [Smile]

--------------------
member #28

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
all these posts about rediscovering old favourites like Hue and Cry (yes I have them all including the fucking poncey Piano & Voice or whatever the fuck it was called, even saw them play live twice (excellent, by the way)), versus the Life Laundry approach has triggered a thought!

TMO Bring & Buy / Pale Blue-Coloured Swap Shop! You know it makes sense. Especially since people may be suffering parcel withdrawal following Secret Stannah.

Ah, gwan gwan gwan.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting married in four months!

I met Wayne Rooney!

My housemate has brought home some baklava!

Life is alright [Smile]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
There's Piano & Voice and Bitter Suite..

If you have Bitter Suite and there's any way to make a digital copy....

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Let me check, it might be on vinyl.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Yes it is vinyl, special price double album including all of Remote also. If I could work out how to dub to MP3 using my Archos attached to my stereo on a line out, I'd do it, but the last time I tried it it didn't work.

--------------------

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I'm not sure I find a successful (and I'm sure quiet well off writer telling me to shed my wordly goods entirely convincing, also I remember that barefoot doctor **** doing it some years back so I'd say it's a no go really.

Also, I like my worldly goods.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
WTF?

[ 18.01.2006, 05:17: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to crack up soon. I can't do it anymore. This job is coming to an end in a week, and I've been unbale to find anything else. So I carry on temping. And, I get this feeling that starting another temping job will cause something to snap.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, m9.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
Yes it is vinyl, special price double album including all of Remote also. If I could work out how to dub to MP3 using my Archos attached to my stereo on a line out, I'd do it, but the last time I tried it it didn't work.

Yeah, I had that on tape, it was a great album, it died about three years ago and I only have odd tracks left on digital.

If you ever figure it out please tell me.. I know I can run a line in from a record deck into my PC, record the tracks as a wav file and then convert to MP3, but as it's a live album maybe making on track as a wav and then splitting the MP3 into sections is the easiest way to do it...

Great album..

Benway, temping sucks mate, hang in there..

One of the reasons I've been so down is because I quit work to look after Beckett when Femke was offered a job she really wanted at one of the universities in Amsterdam. Now I've been home for a year, freelance work is nigh on impossible because of a 15 month old child constantly in my face and all over my PC, I feel like I'll never get another job because I'm almost 40 and all interviews I have are with smug fucking children who look at me like I'm called 'Gramps' and I think quitting a job that I hated was probably a massive mistake and that I may never find another one unless I want to stack shelves or bag shopping.

Right now a nice temp job in an office sounds pretty fucking good.

Still I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, we all have things in our lives we hate... In many respects I'm a really lucky guy and shouldn't feel so bad about not having a job because it really doesn't affect my life as badly as it would most people..

[ 18.01.2006, 05:34: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

yanda
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for yanda           Edit/Delete Post 
Darryn, have you ever thought of creating websites for yourself rather than other clients, and making money out of this via affiliate programs and adsense? Once you've built the foundations, you can apply the same code to multiple sites meaning churning out a new site almost daily.

I've done it myself before, and it's not too hard to earn a 4 figure monthly income as long as you put in the work at the start, and after that the sites look after themselves.

Anyway, if you want some more info on it drop us an email.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I'm going to crack up soon. I can't do it anymore. This job is coming to an end in a week, and I've been unbale to find anything else. So I carry on temping. And, I get this feeling that starting another temping job will cause something to snap.

-

Why don't you just get a job?

[ 18.01.2006, 17:23: Message edited by: Ringo ]

London

It's interesting because it feels sometimes like we turn to this board for help: not tangiable, please help me find a crack for Dreamweaver 8 (cheers Sabian!) help: something looser, some kind of solace. I know my posting picked up after I experienced the worst three days of my life before Christmas (health problems) and then got dumped. I don't know what I was looking for - distraction, maybe? - and I don't even know whether or not I found it, but there was a definite sense of TMO as some kind of 'friend' that I could turn to. I wasn't thinking of any particular individuals I was seeking comfort from - if there was, I would have emailed them - it was more this notion of TMO itself as something that could comfort me. I wonder if there's an interesting thread concept there; like, list ways TMO has helped you when you've been down. Or are all the hugz and cries of 'hang in there m9' just so much empty ASCII bullshit?
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
I always feel very uncomfortable providing notes of sympathy and support on TMO - to me, personally, it feels very insincere; especially when contrasted with the warmth and naturalness of most other posters' words, which often build up into a genuinely supportive and nourishing atmosphere, that I'm sure gives people a lot of strength and consolation.

I try to be supportive about people's writing or creative efforts, because I guess that's more my sphere and I can usually find something to cherish in a story or review someone's put up, even if no one else has seen fit to comment. Having received such encouragement myself, especially at times when I've felt at a pretty low ebb, I can confirm that this sort of thing is valuable, and does have the power to do you good in the real world.

It's easy to disparage the breadth and shallowness of a lot of internet relationships, but I don't think the bonds that are forged are any less real than those that used to be sustained by the obsessive letter-writing of the pre-telephone era.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
x

Happy birthday/get well soon/congratulations/sorry to hear about your dog/cat/mum/dad/other (please specify)/friend/K experience, Benway/London/Herbs/VP/Unknown Vanilla Nonentity, m9/m8/fella/buddy/potential sexxus.

Thatisall/kisses/*hugs*/ [Cool] / [Smile] / [Frown]

Perhaps we should have a chat/sex (delete as applicable)

[ 19.01.2006, 05:01: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
lol

--------------------
sweet

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Jonesy, put that back, you lamer.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
i knew I should have quoted it. Jonesy, you're a loon.
Dr. Benway

nice work, n-dawg. [Smile] [Cool]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo. I got to read a time-limited Jonesy post.
I feel all special.

Also lol@not.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
TopLOL not...!

--------------------
supa scrub

not...
J-dawg [Confused] don't tell me you deleted your post because of mine. I didn't even read yours until after i posted because it took me 20 mins to create the phoo.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
It wasn't because of your post. Everything had gone a bit Tricia is all. I sounded a) like a soppy cnut and b) like I needed to defend myself for something.
not...
well, your choice m9. FWIW I think you made a valid point and entwined some nice comedic touches. Never mind. I read it anyhow haahahaha everyone who didn't read it HAHHAAHHAHAHAHA
London

Not, that rules.

sorry i made everything go all tricia.

Actually, i didn't! I didn't start this thread. I am innocent.

Dr. Benway

I didn't read it [Frown]

*cry*

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I meant the I went a bit Tricia, London.

And now I sound like I'm down on you for actually trying to start a discussion.

Sorry.

quote:

I don't feel insincere providing notes of sympathy online because I only post them when they are genuine. Clearly it's impossible for anyone else to gauge that by reading them but at least I am aware of the sincerity of what I post. The nature of communicating textually, via an internet bulletin board, means it's very difficult to convey sincerity. But it's just as easy in real life to say "It'll be alright love. Chin up" to some blubbering martini-laced bint who's just puked individual miniture yorkshire puddings and half-digested profiteroles all over your Hush Puppies, fallen down on the bottom stair and decided to tell you all about how Robert has been fucking her best friend...and you can't think of anything to say because you want to wrap your hands around her throat, but then one of her boobs has fallen out and there's an empty bedroom upstairs and you're starting to wonder if she'd still taste of orange juice and Bezique flavoured party vom if you could persuade her to clean her teeth while you peeled off her knickers and flushed your self-respect down the toilet for the sake of a drunken flesh fight. "Good looking girl like you? You'll be fine. You're better than him. You're better than Robot. Hang in there love. Come ere."

It's quite common for people here to rattle off a "Get better soon, m8" or "Chin up, fella" when someone posts about their problems, but I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. If it's an automatic response - "oh, she's suicidal again and everyone else has said something - better crank up the Clinton Cards macro" - then I would feel uncomfortable with the lack of sincerity. But I've got no idea what other people are thinking - or if they give a monkey's.

If someone posts about a problem of a personal nature, I'll offer advice if I have any. What I won't do is post "Hey, we're with you all the way, m8" unless a) I actually mean it and b) give a flying fuck about the person involved (either because I've developed a relationship with them in real life or feel the online relationship is strong enough for me to actually care about them).

"Hang in there, m9" is a pretty empty, useless, thing to say - a real "thinking-of-you" card of a post - but I don't think there's anything wrong with that, in the same way I don't think Christmas cards to people you haven't spoken with all year are a bad thing or a token gesture of verbal support when someone you care about is upset is wrong if you actually mean it.

I'd discussed Benway's work problems with him at length just a few days before he made that post. I've discussed them with him a number of times. I believe I've offered advice and support to him as a friend, and he's done the same for me. I'm sure he gets bored of me talking to him about work and employment opportunities because I honestly believe he's a talented fucker who shouldn't be counting paper clips, and I get frustarted that he's not had the chance to alphabetize labels yet.

I agree that the bonds that are forged in an online relationship can be just as strong as those forged in real life. When someone is pissed off about something, when you've said all you can think of to say for the time being as far as practical advice and support is concerned, then I don't consider posting up a short, seemingly empty but heartfelt message is any different to putting your arm round a mate in real life in a genuine gesture of support.

London

Jonesy, please put it back, otherwise I will kill myself, and it will be your fault.

do you think that will work?

eta: hurrah - thanks!

[ 19.01.2006, 05:15: Message edited by: London ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Now we've got that anticlimactic sack of wank out of the way, let's get back to Zombies and Shit.

[ 19.01.2006, 05:16: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

London

I feel I should 'encourage' the discussion a little more, only, in the cold light of day, it seems gay.

In the cold gaylight
My feelings did take flight
I didn't think of you
I posted about poo.

This topic is comprised of pages: 9 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+