Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » A thread where you all try to think of something remotely consoling to say (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: A thread where you all try to think of something remotely consoling to say
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
So. I go to the hospital for a routine "nuchal fold" scan. At nearly 13 weeks pregnant I'm out of the miscarriage woods, supposedly, (only 3% fail after seeing a heartbeat at 10 weeks, a statistic I'd been clinging to) and into a whole new set of numbers (1:300 risk for downs syndrome my best chance).

It's exciting. It's the first time R's seen our baby. Soon we can decide on a name. But there's no movement. There's no heartbeat. The man must be doing it wrong. He must have the measurements wrong. The nice lady leading me out of the room hasn't understood. He's made a mistake. All these people booking me in for an operation have got it all wrong too.

I still can't believe it, a few days later.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Herbs. [Frown] I'm so sorry.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry to hear that herbs.
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking hell. I can't imagine how upsetting that must have been. Words aren't enough obviously but for what it's worth [Frown] really really sorry to hear that.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. I don't think there is anything consoling to say. It's just fucking shit, a horrible bereavement, a horrible death, and there isn't really anything to do but cry and then wait for stuff to feel better. And ask about getting some therapy for free. Seriously. You might as well.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck.

--------------------
sweet

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't see that there's anything to say other than that sincere thoughts are with you.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Herbs. My heart goes out to you. I wish there was something I could do or say that would make this better for you.

Thinking of you and sending you all my love.

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
My heart bleeds for you, it really does.

If there's anything, anytime..

XXX

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
That is utterly terrible news Herbs - All I can say is my thoughts are with you. I just wish I could say something to make it at least a bit better, but there are no words that I can find.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

herbs

That's it, isn't it. If there was something anyone could say to make it better, I'd had have them at gunpoint, repeating it over and over.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are with you both herbs.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh herbs. I'm so, so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how it must feel. [Frown]

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to break my ten-post quota for this. I really don't know what to say.

[Frown]

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post 
I am really sorry herbs. I am not a regular so we don't have a history, but my sorrow for you is heartfelt.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know what to say. it's awful, herbs. you have my heartfelt sympathy. take good care of yourself x

[ 25.09.2006, 15:23: Message edited by: vikram ]

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear the news. I really wish there was something anyone could do, but- [Frown]

rooster and I both will have you in our thoughts- this is one of those occasions where words just seem so feeble. I can't even give a hug to console, as I can't quite reach the 3000 miles required to do so. But you certainly have our sympathy- hang in there.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry herbs - our thoughts are with you.
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't the faintest idea what to say in a situation like this, but suffice you say you have my deepest, heartfelt sympathy.
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm completely useless at this, but my deepest sympathy Herb.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
There are no words I can say, or no amount of empathy I can try to express that will ever really come close to helping you in this situation Herbs, but I feel a deep and genuine sympathy for you both. I know you’ll get through this in whatever way you can, but don’t suffer in silence when there are people who can help take away some of the pain.

Love and sympathy to you both.

Chris

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
Herbs, this is such a distressing and unfair thing to happen. Like everyone else has said, words are pretty futile at the moment so it will be little consolation to say that they can do amazing things these days to avoid this happening to you again. Carry on, soldier.
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
Herbs I am so sorry...

[Frown]

--------------------
supa scrub

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
I can only echo what others have said. Truly devastating. [Frown]
herbs

I'm sorry to lay this heavy scene on you all, but it seems such an overwhelming and life-altering happening, I can't not tell my 'friends from the internet'. And this kind of stuff is so often swept under carpets, and shouldn't be. It happens to lots of people. Though I seem to have bucked most statistics on the matter - less than 3% go wrong after a heartbeat at 10 weeks, only 1% die and stay inside undetected for OVER TWO WEEKS at this stage, only 1% of couples have recurrent miscarriage. Lies, damn lies, etc...

The only thing keeping me going is the thought that there are, indeed, tests that can be done, nice men that can give me injections next time, etc. But in the meantime there's now, and this particular baby, to be dealing with. There are loads of support boards, but most of them are full of pink twinkly atavars, talk of 'angels' etc, which even in my state I can't stomach.

R went back to work today, so I'm feeling a bit lonely. But I'll try not to go on and on.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
Well you know this is a fantastic place to vent, so don't feel like you need to hold back on our account. Nobody's going to complain if you want to get it off your chest, I'm sure everyone would understand.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Don't be lonely Herbs. You have us freaks.

Here is some banality from the outside world.

I've just dropped two light bulbs in B and Q. This might, to anyone of my age, sound like I'm about to start buzzing from the some lively recreational narcotic and that I'm posting from a disused aircraft hanger full of ravers or something but, alas, no, I really did drop two light bulbs on the floor of a DIY store. They popped like miniature explosives and cast a shimmering puddle of mirrored fallout across the floor. I shouted "bollocks!", so loudly I surprised myself. It all came about because a jolly middle-aged woman dropped a pound coin which rolled away across the floor. I controlled the wheeling quid with the instep of my foot and bent down to pick it up. Turned, as it was, momentarily upside down, my box of light bulbs opened and a few seconds after I'd handed Jolly back her coin (and received a chuckling thank you in return) my two shiny doodlebugs fell to the floor. When I shouted bollocks the woman said sorry – she knew the entire debacle was the fault of her and her pound coin. There is no karma I thought to myself as the woman apologized a second time. I didn't even say "It's alright. It was an accident.", as I should have done. I simply frowned at her. Such a horrid boy. Anyway, the girl behind the counter (Mabel, unless she was wearing someone else's orange overalls) swept up the debris and let me have another box of lightbulbs, no charge. Good old Mabel.

[ 26.09.2006, 05:58: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some banality from the outside world.
About an hour or so ago, the girl to my left was trying to attract the attention of my boss, and I think she stumbled over deciding whether to say "Can I bother you for a moment" and "can I bug you," and it came out as "Can I bugger you for a moment?" But she said it so innocuously no-one seemed to pick up on it except me, choking back laughter in painful body-wracking sobs.
herbs

I've been watching the Jeremy Kyle Show and Trisha. Christ. Things aren't so bad after all.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh herbs, how utterly grim. Is there any kind of pleasent retreat you can flee to for a bit - feed ducks, walk in the countryside kind of thing?
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Trisha is also pretty grim...my timing was a bit off there.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I didn't realise Jeremy Kyle was real. I thought he was a character played by someone else on the radio.

-

In other news, I'm making a boiled egg. I've decided to use this method I just got off the internet:

1. Place the egg in a saucepan.

2. Run cold water into the saucepan until the water is 1 inch above the egg. (Image 1)

3. Place the saucepan on a stove and cook over medium heat until the water begins to boil.

4. Reduce the heat to low.

5. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 10 to 15 minutes for hard-boiled eggs. (Image 2)

6. Remove the egg with a spoon or ladle and let it cool slowly, or run cold water over it to cool it more quickly. (Image 3)

It's going to go wrong, isn't it? I bet there's a huge TMO debate just waiting to happen about how to make the perfect boiled egg. I'm aiming for a fairly soft boiled number. I'll get back to you to let you know the result.

[ 26.09.2006, 06:10: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

herbs

We're going away for the weekend to the Norfolk coast - bleak windy beaches for staring over the sea, but hearty food and drink in the evenings. However, all the nice places are booked up so we've ended up in a twin-bedded room with woodworking tools on the wall. Gotta laugh.

ETA: I think you'll find four minutes, with the 'from cold' method, gives the perfect soft-boiled egg.

[ 26.09.2006, 06:12: Message edited by: herbs ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
How do you know this? Did the owner say "We've only got one room left...but it's got WOODWORKING TOOLS ON THE WALL!"
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
And did you then say, "Woodworking tools? You're having a lathe, aren't you?"?

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+