Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Meanings, and what they mean (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Meanings, and what they mean
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember speaking to a rather simple individual about the availablity of pirated software on the Internet. In those days, and perhaps still today in some circles, it was known as the Warez scene (a contraction of software, with a z added, presumably because z is such a cool letter). Simpleton had obviously only ever seen the word in written form and had no idea about its origin, hence insisted on pronouncing it wah-rez. I tried to explain, but...
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
Right, here's the explanation for those who were dropped on their heads as babies. Hint: the clue is is the italicised words.

"If you believe this thing, then you have another thing coming!"

Do you see? Because you believe one thing but in actual fact, what is to come is actually a completely different thing.

If you still don't understand, then there is no hope for you. You are, frankly, dead to me.

Kira
Were you knocked on the head or something?
 - posted      Profile for Kira           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
quote:
Originally posted by Kira:
yes I am suggesting that "another thing coming" is correct. Thats always how I've heard it. However I would never say pacific instead of specific. Only retards do that.

To be fair, Kira, they sound the same, as the website linked to above seemed to demonstrate (something about "thing/k" as one word joins the 'k' sound at the start of "coming").

What's interesting is that you must have thought the phrase meant something slightly different. In what I believe is the correct form, it means "you have another thought coming" ~ but the grammar has been comically warped. (Again, it's from America in the 1930s apparently. Think of the poem "spring has sprung / the grass is rizz / I wonder where the boidies is! / the boids is on the wing, they say. But that's absoid / I always heard them say / the wings is on the boid.")

I'm not sure really what sense "another thing" makes, except in the way I suggested above ("If you think you're getting any money off me, you've got another thing [no money] coming").

Your last example is a good explanation of what I've always taken it to mean.

Although judging from what you've said and the other forum this is wrong.

I suppose if you hear something often enough you'll just assume that its right until someone corrects you or you hear it or see it in its correct form and then you'll be prompted question what you know. The misuse of pacific seems to be fairly widespread so I guess this is a good example of this.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless that I believe I'm correct to the point where I'd actually say I know I'm correct, I don't understand how "thing" makes sense in that context.

"If you think I'm going to lend you that money, you've got another thing coming." What thing? An absence of money? What?

By contrast, "another think" as comical version of "another thought" makes sense. It means "if you think I'm going to lend you that money, you'd better think again." (You've got another "think" coming to you.)

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Ringo

Kira no, you're right, it's ok.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
Do Americans (and Ringo) learn most of their English from Judas Priest lyrics then? It would explain quite a lot.

Reminds me of that old joke about the explorer who comes across a lost tribe and is greated by the village chief with the words, "Welcome *ckckckck* Please come and *weeeeee ckkckck* take tea with us *wooooooob ckckckck*"

And the explorer says, "Er, may I ask where you learned to speak English so, er, interestingly?"

And the chief shows him a short wave radio and says "BBC World *weeeeeb shhhhhshhhhh* Service".

Hmm, probably a 1920s joke that one.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Ringo, it's 'think'.

--------------------
sweet

Ringo

It's not! It's totally not! And if you think it is, then by God, you've got another thing coming!
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Ringo's right.
Ringo

See!
Black Mask

Braingin' the law, braingin' the law!

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:

Do you see? Because you believe one thing but in actual fact, what is to come is actually a completely different thing.

Or...

"If you think this, then you have another think coming!"

Do you see? Because you think [something], but to understand the truth of the matter, you will have to think again.

[ 02.03.2007, 12:01: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:

That's so boringly literal as to not be an idiom at all, though. You don't provide any examples, which seems a weakness, but I suppose I can try to imagine how it might work. "If you believe you're getting chips, you're getting mashed potatoes coming." "If you think you're going to the pub tonight, you've got a night in with a bottle of wine coming".

It's just pedestrian.

The thing about idiomatic expressions is that they're colourful and memorable. The way you're presenting this one, it would be the most boring idiomatic expression in the history of ever... if you were right.

However, we don't have to rely on what we firmly believe to be true, when it comes to language. I'm sure there are places we can look it up.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
It's not! It's totally not! And if you think it is, then by God, you've got another thing coming!

This just demonstrates why your misinterpretation of the idiom is wrong. What you've written doesn't really make sense, and at very best, it's just pointlessly plodding.

"If you think it is, you've got another thing coming." What's the other "thing" here?

-- The, the thing is, you retard spastic, the thing is YOU BEING WRONG!

- That's not a "thing". If anything, it's an event.

-- You being wrong IS A THING! It's a THING THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. And if you keep arguing with me, you're a fucking joey! Three people here agree with me, IDT INDT!!!

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure there are places we can look it up.

Thousands of them. It seems to be a 50/50 split between thing and think.
Ringo

Who said it was an idiomatic expression? I'm simply telling it like it is. If it's not wordy enough for you then it doesn't make it wrong. You can't just make stuff up to suit you.

And if you expect me to sit here arguing the toss with you all evening, you've got another thing coming. Because I am going home.

Goodbye.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:
I'm sure there are places we can look it up.

Thousands of them. It seems to be a 50/50 split between thing and think.
Perhaps that's because the internet is dominated by American sites, which seem (oddly, if the idiom originated in the US) to have got the wrong idea about this one.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought it was think.

I just asked Pink though, and he said thing, and got quite annoyed when I suggested otherwise.

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by missgolightly:
I've always thought it was think.

I just asked Pink though, and he said thing, and got quite annoyed when I suggested otherwise.

And you let him up your arse?

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Who said it was an idiomatic expression?

Well, that's another question I suppose. I would say it's an idiom. But I'm glad you have decided graciously that this argument isn't worth silly fighting about ~ I certainly agree. [Smile] I almost wish I'd never brought it up, now.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Black Mask

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, I bid you a jew.

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Here's another interesting one, to change the subject.

I heard a girl on the train last week referring to "WWW.H Smiths".

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
It's 'Think on't', isn't it?

Ben?
'Think on' was what I used to be told, usually having just been 'clattered'. Think on's potency could be intensified by adding 'You can just fucking...' or somesuch.
missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
And you let him up your arse?

lol I'm really going to regret saying that, aren't I?
MiscellaneousFiles

I thing we should believe the information on *this page, as it was published just four years after the alleged birth of Christ:

quote:
by Tina Blue
November 24, 004

A popular expression that I keep seeing misused, even by those who write for a living, is the one that goes, "If you think this, that, or the other, then you've got another think coming."

The common misuse of this expression goes thus: "If you think this, that, or the other, then you've got another thing coming."

wonderstarr
TMO Member
I feel a bit bad about trying to mock Ringo's position, now. I just got carried away with the argument, I'm afraid. I'm sure his passion for language is admirable.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
Ringo, Kira and Pink are WRONG.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Ringo

I think the probblem is how you can actually define either saying as categorically right or wrong. With no supporting evidence to prove or disprove either saying, and no clear majority holding either opinion, you'd have to say that in a sense they are both right, and both wrong.

Or, to put it another way, say what you want, it doesn't really matter, you boner.

ralph

lol. I knew you'd try to get the last word in.
Ringo

well done

Although I must say my cycle home flew by with something to thing about.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 -

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

lol
Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who work from home and often fancy a bit of light relief in the form of televisual Schadenfreude, the Jeremy Kyle Show is a must.

However, one thing that annoys me even more than the stream of toothless, witless chav morons is Jeremy's use of the term erudite to describe a guest who can manage to string more than half a sentence together.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Hello Samuelnorton! It's good to see a few people finally posting on a Sunday. I expected more activity. [Frown] I would start a thread but all I can think of today is how much more it costs you to be healthy rather than eat crap. I think I spent £10 on a fruit salad and caesar salad today. I could have had a Quarter Pounder meal with fries and shake, and either 6 cans of stella or a decent bottle of wine, for that. And have a pound left over for chips.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Back on topic, have you noticed how people always tend to use "perogative" instead of "prerogative"? I'm sure Britney even says it "perogative". [In the song, I mean. Of that name]

Oh and here's another one: remuneration, which people seem tempted to say "renumeration", presumably because they think it's do to with numbers, not money. I don't know for sure.

[ 04.03.2007, 17:08: Message edited by: wonderstarr ]

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

This topic is comprised of pages: 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+