Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Justice League Stripped (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Justice League Stripped
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
not every story has to end with someone getting their lower jaw torn off in a mantrap.

*sigh* If only...

Mind you Wanted was actually mantrap-heavy in my humble op.

Astro-City wasn't terrible or anything, it's just there on my bookcase and I can't remember much about it other than 'classy', 'clever', 'pretty'.

--------------------
sweet

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Glad you're back.

quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
That's nice of you Ringo! I don't feel I'm coming "back" so much as coming over from Barbelith, but I still appreciate that.

wonderstarr - did you used to post here a while ago or something? If so, surely you'd know it's normally pretty quiet in the evenings and at weekends? [Confused]
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
We should profile all our newbies to see if they fit in. Make them do a rorschach test or something.

[ 06.03.2007, 10:30: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
clever
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that idea wasn't thrown out there before I joined. I'd have never passed.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Kill.

[ 06.03.2007, 10:40: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
are we all just pretending that we don't know who wonderstarr is, for the sake of internal amusement or something?

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure everyone knows it's kovacs.
New Way Of Decay

Which bit is funny?

--------------------

ralph

I thought it was Roy. [Frown]
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
are we all just pretending that we don't know who wonderstarr is, for the sake of internal amusement or something?

I was looking forward to the bit in three months time where Vikram or Snorton or one of those types of posters suddenly goes "You know what! I reckon this is kovacs!" and never really believes that everyone else knew that right from the get go.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry! [Roll Eyes]
wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't think it's always been quiet here at evenings and weekends. I certainly got the impression that weekends were comparatively dead from reading over the last six months or so, but there's nothing to say that couldn't change. It all seems quite lively at the moment [Smile]

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of people use the site from work - you get the occasional burst over a friday night, and then the groan of a saturday hang over, but for the most part it's about 5 people who post here on a weekend.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

New Way Of Decay

lolol.

--------------------

ralph

What's so funny, nwod?
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
not every story has to end with someone getting their lower jaw torn off in a mantrap.

Cla$$war had a great issue where 2 super strong characters had a punch up and ended with one of them punching the jaw off of the other one.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
What's so funny, nwod?

You'll probably find out tomorrow. People aren't at work anymore, ralph. [Mad] Do get with the 'program'.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

Sometimes nwod works late. [Mad]

And I did post my question a mere two minutes after he lolled.

[ 06.03.2007, 13:50: Message edited by: ralph ]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Anyway, I've posted under this name on Barbelith for about a year. It is no secret.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

Interesting.
wonderstarr
TMO Member
I thought it was common knowledge! I'm sure I saw a mention of my Barbelith activity on this board recently. Thorn Davis and H1ppychick still post there sometimes. Anyway, no big deal.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

Why come back to tmo now though?

[ 06.03.2007, 14:06: Message edited by: ralph ]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Something to do? Like anything else online. Why do you post on here? Similar reasons I expect: the board entertains you and you fancy joining in now and then. I don't really see posting on one board or another as a major thing these days; I don't think there is, any longer, that sense of defining yourself by it (and rivalries between boards now seem almost absurd).

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

But you've been gone nearly a year. And you didn't leave under the most pleasant of circumstances. Why come back now? Why not six months ago or six months from now?
wonderstarr
TMO Member
You're referring to me as "kovacs", which I don't recognise. I see myself quite differently. I can accept that you might not share that perception, but I can't really connect with that history. Of course, you can discuss it if you like! But I can't contribute. I've been established & accepted as someone quite different on Barbelith under this name for some time now.

If I'm intruding, of course I'll take off. If it's OK for me to post here, I will hang around a bit and play nice. [Smile] I don't think I have ever been nasty under this name.

On Barbelith you would have had to start a new thread for all this, way way back.

[eta why now? I think it was the Justice League stripped idea, actually. Just fancied posting on it.]

[ 06.03.2007, 14:25: Message edited by: wonderstarr ]

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
That sounded pretentious, too. It probably had to be got out of the way, but... I don't know, I don't really want to stand round here talking about myself like that.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

quote:
You're referring to me as "kovacs", which I don't recognise.

[Roll Eyes]

I really don't get that. It doesn't matter what name I post under, be it ralph, blinkster, Moxie, and on one conservative southern forum vikram, I'm still me.

quote:
If I'm intruding, of course I'll take off.

I don't have any problem with you posting here, in fact to me it's a welcome addition, but you'll probably have to get the approval of more hard-core posters like sam and Kira.
wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:

I really don't get that. It doesn't matter what name I post under, be it ralph, blinkster, Moxie, and on one conservative southern forum vikram, I'm still me.

Well, that's true for you. I don't think Thorn Davis is "really" and precisely the person writing his posts ~ I would suggest that Thorn Davis is a projection, probably an exaggeration, maybe even including some self-parody, of part of that real person. I don't know if the same is true of everyone else on here. I don't think anyone could really, in real life, be the way you remember kovacs. I would say it was quite a stylised persona: arch, sometimes savage, monumentally confident and so on.

Gosh this stuff does sound like circa-2002 internet talk though... embarrassingly.

I quite understand if you don't get it, but if you were adapting to the Barbelith community, with its unique tone, norms and conventions, for a year of consistent posting within a certain persona (ie. a certain projection of aspects of your real-life self) that people accept and respond to, you might find a different side of yourself coming out.

[ 06.03.2007, 14:41: Message edited by: wonderstarr ]

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

quote:
Well, that's true for you. I don't think Thorn Davis is "really" and precisely the person writing his posts ~ I would suggest that Thorn Davis is a projection, probably an exaggeration, maybe even including some self-parody, of part of that real person.

I get it! More creative types, writers if you will, like yourself and Thorn, have the ability to create alternate personae! Simple-minded folk like myself don't have this ability. [Frown]
wonderstarr
TMO Member
Or folk like yourself are so confident and secure about who you are, this kind of idea just seems bizarre and alien to you: you have a strong, solid sense of self.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

quote:
Or folk like yourself are so confident and secure about who you are, this kind of idea just seems bizarre and alien to you: you have a strong, solid sense of self.

lol. I'm not confident. You'll not meet a more insecure man in your lifetime. Woody Allen would call me insecure and neurotic. No, it's definitely a lack of ability on my part when it comes to words and their proper usage.
wonderstarr
TMO Member
I'm certainly enjoying our little chat; I hope it isn't really dull or inappropriate to anyone reading.

I didn't realise you felt that way about yourself, ralph. I didn't mean, either, that clever people consciously make up personae because they're good writers. Again to use Thorn (although it's a bit impolite to speculate) I didn't mean he was deliberately constructing a bigger, more brash, dirty-minded, lecherous, devil-may-care sense of self, though I'm sure I saw him once, years ago, noting that Thorn Davis was the name of a heroic character in his (?) teenage fiction. I meant to suggest that Thorn Davis was a projection of aspects of his true self, but not the whole, rounded picture of the real, everyday person.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more or less exactly the person I am in real life. Except I talk more. I mean, if you don't contribute to the discussion, you're not really there at all are you.
wonderstarr
TMO Member
I think you have a very, very secure and solid sense of "self" on here, though, Ringo. You seem to know entirely what you believe and who you are, and to have a grip on a whole range of other miscellaneous stats about yourself, such as tracking your weight, relative fitness compared to seven days ago, your attractiveness to women compared to a few years ago, and so on. That may sound like a piss-take but it really isn't. You give the impression of being incredibly grounded and confident of exactly who you are.

eta. Weren't you called... Hungry Joe or something for a while? Honest Joe? When did that change back?

eta2: Just thinking about people whose regular online "persona" seems to be so extreme sometimes that you think it must be partly almost self-parody or at least exaggeration (eg. Thorn, kovacs) ~ you would have thought Samuelnorton was another case in point, but I believe that in fact it isn't.

[ 06.03.2007, 15:45: Message edited by: wonderstarr ]

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+