Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Surprising 21st Century Survival Kit (Page 6)

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Surprising 21st Century Survival Kit
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Recent quote from Ringo [Roll Eyes]

FFS I haven't even said anything!! [Mad]

I think there's a difference between saying you've got confidence in your own abilities to do something that you've made a point of getting good at, and boastfully claiming to be brilliant at something. I never claim to be an amazing driver. I know amazing drivers and I know that no matter how much I practice, I'll never be as good as them. That's not to say I'm not proud of what I've accomplished and rightly so.

The difference is, however, that I don't look sneeringly at people who I don't think are as good as me, and I certainly don't suggest someone is culturally or socially deficient simply because they're not into the same things as me.

That's just arrogance and that's probably what really rubs about people who go on about cooking as if they've achieved some kind of kitchen Nirvana, exclusive only to those who follow some kind of arduous path to enlightenment.

That's the vibe I've picked up anyway. I'm not really interested in arguing about it so if you think differently, whatever.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post 
If they were blue neon lights, Ringo might want one of them.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
pepper grinders with lights on them!

Household items with unnecessary lights attached are always a good thing, in my opinion.

However, you wouldn't talk to me last night so fuck off Louche. [Wink]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
On the pepper-pot.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 

[ 15.03.2007, 07:54: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 -

You came to us with an idea of an electric light on a pepper pot [snigger... refers to hastily-scribbled notes] that wasn't very BRIGHT, now was it!!?? eh!?

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
hopefully you've learned your lesson, kovacs.

[ 15.03.2007, 08:09: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
I don't want to be called "kovacs", thanks Benway.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
lol
wonderstarr
TMO Member
Why have you deleted a perfectly good joke, above?

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Our budding entrepreneur is hoping to shed some light on their product, in an effort to grind down the dragons' objections, who are seasoned pros and will be looking to pepper our applicant with incisive questions. Will our hopeful be able to get them on side with a spicy condiment of bottom-line reasoning, or will they simply offer a sprinkling of half-cooked ideas?

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Who is this boss-eyed glove-puppet and how did he get a job on the telly?

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by missgolightly:
However, you wouldn't talk to me last night so fuck off Louche. [Wink]

I was being annoyed about something trivial. You wouldn't have liked talking to me last night. I'd have whinged. It wouldn't have been a good start to our affair. I want to woo you with textual brilliance. Not meh at you.
missgolightly

quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
I was being annoyed about something trivial. You wouldn't have liked talking to me last night. I'd have whinged. It wouldn't have been a good start to our affair. I want to woo you with textual brilliance. Not meh at you.

Blimey - affairs and wooing, sounds good! [Wink]
Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Do you think they have factories where they have to make that dusty pepper? Imagine the staff turnover in a place like that.

If I was thinking of opening a landmine factory then I'd make sure I located it in a town where there was a dusty pepper making factory. No matter what people's moral views were on making landmines for a living, there'd still be a queue round the block for any jobs there if the only alternative was a dusty pepper making factory. Or an onion peeling factory. I bet some poor bastard has to peel onions all day for a living.

I read a story - no, scratch that - several stories about people who worked gathering/preparing food in various places, including someone who sorted milk cartons, somone who made cornish pasties, someone who prepared fish and some poor sod who harvested garlic.

He said he had this utopian image before his first day on the job of gathering pungent bulbs in the sunshine ready to be plaited into strings, feeling dead trendy ('cos garlic woz in then, wonnit?) and settling down at the end of the work day with a glass of red wine (French, of course).

Nope. After a few weeks of sweating like a bastard in steaming hot fields, the smell of garlic permeated his skin, hair, clothes... He lost several friends, it would appear.

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
I'm just asking why Mikee doesn't have any. [Cooking equipment]

For the same reason as he, like everybody else, doesn't have bundles of carrots with their stalks and leaves still attached, wholesomely, to the root, in his fridge. And exquisitely designed interior decorating.

You intend to do these things when you move into your own place, but you soon realise that it's not practical.

I'm still bitter that I've never had intact carrots in my fridge. I've had that fridge for 4 1/2 years now. I should have had carrots.

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Lickapaw#2:
I'm still bitter that I've never had intact carrots in my fridge.

You should join a CSA Lickapaw#2! When in season, our fridge is chock full of filthy intact vegetables.
wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:
Originally posted by Lickapaw#2:
I'm still bitter that I've never had intact carrots in my fridge.

You should join a CSA
"He came in here an able-bodied man. He walked out..."

-

"... a vegetable."

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go Lickapaw.

A list of loads of people who delivery seasonal organic locally grown vegetables directly to your doorstep if you're in the Brighton area.

Not only will you get carrots when they're in season, but you'll also get a range of vegetables you probably wouldn't use which will increase your cooking skill as much as a "Chef's knife of slicing +2"

You'll also be saving the planet as you won't be getting vegetables flown in from Brazil. If you do this I guarantee Louche will think you are ace.

missgolightly

quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
 -

I saw the cooolest ever Horatio scene the other day. He was in a car containing a bomb that was about to explode, and was driving it somewhere secluded. He stopped the car, calmly put his sunglasses on, left the car and walked slowly away, and didn't even flinch when the car exploded close behind him. It was great. [Cool]
wonderstarr
TMO Member
I'm disappointed he didn't say "now, that's going out... with a bang."

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverGinger5:
On the pepper front, I don't own a pepper grinder so I'm not sure how this is going to make Louche feel. That said, I made steak with a pepper sauce last night and I crushed the pepper up in one of these.

-

On reflection, this pretty much shoots down Nathan Bleak's arguments in a blizzard of spunk and agony. If kitchen gear and c21 cookery is about practicality rather than posing why the heck do people think its cool to use a - a fucking - a fucking STONE AGE IMPLEMENT to do a simple task that an inexpensive grinder will do it in a couple of flicks of the wrist.

This gay quest for authenticity! It isn't going to happen if you spend your whole working day in front of an lcd then an devote hour or so making peasant food of an evening. You'd be better off becoming a tree surgeon or something, surely.

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I love you, ben.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

ralph

SilverGinger last night, preparing a gourmet meal

-

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post 
But I use the pestle and mortar for crushing numerous other things and I don't really want to have loads of other grinders for putting other things in. Cumin Grinder? Coriander Grinder? Pink Peppercorn grinder?

Also, with a pestle and mortar you can choose whether you just want to crack the pepper or grind it into a powder and different dishes require a different level of crushedness of the pepper.

So although it might be a slightly more labour intensive way of grinding pepper than an actual grinder, it gives much more beyond simple grinding to a powder.

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post 
my mum bought a pestle and mortar that is about two foot wide and weighs, at a guess, almost as much as i do. i honestly believe that driving it home from whichever wanky home counties anteekee shop she bought it from was the death of the family volvo (with every sentence, this post is becoming more gruelling for ben to read, i can just tell) and it has never once been used for any purpose more culinary than the recepticle in which the fruit is kept before it is peeled and eaten/ goes off. sometimes, we keep a pineapple in it.

[ 15.03.2007, 10:51: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you hate cooking so much, ben?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
This gay quest for authenticity! It isn't going to happen if you spend your whole working day in front of an lcd then an devote hour or so making peasant food of an evening. You'd be better off becoming a tree surgeon or something, surely.

B-but so much, so, so much of what you write on here is about some TV programme or other you watched. How can you lay into people for spending their leisure time cooking when you watch so much, so, so much television? I mean, you were even providing updates on dreck like Celebrity Love Island for christ's sake. Is that more authentic, somehow? Or... what?

[ 15.03.2007, 10:55: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prepared to admit that there is an element of the poseur about having a fuck off granite mortar and pestle. I like the way mine looks in my kitchen. But then I use a cheap pepper grinder for the everyday stuff, over salad, or pizza for example.

But, to continue the quality hi-fi analogy, it also works well. A proper heavy granite mortar and pestle like that makes dust out of tough seed spices with a tiny amount of effort. Which is nice.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

dance margarita
TMO Member
ben have you been watching heston blumenthal? i started talking like you after watching heston blumenthal too many times. all that 'we're gonna take spaghetti bolognese to ANOTHER LEVEL!' cockwash. unbearable. wouldnt it be great, i sometimes think, if one were to take creme brulee to another level by covering heston blumenthal's face in cream and sugar and then blowtorching it?

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, I don't think ben was making any claims for himself, more pointing out what he saw as the contradictory choices made by other people.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

dance margarita
TMO Member
which reminds me: i like cooking as much as the next normal person (ie, sometimes a lot, sometimes not at all, which is why god invented crumpets) but if you have a blowtorch in your kitchen, and you are not generally employed in a welding- based industry, you are a **** . end. of.

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
Is enjoying cooking a contradictory choice, though? Because you sit at a desk for work... it's illogical to enjoy cooking, to get caught up in the paraphanelia of a hobby that's different in every way to what you do during the daytime? That's not really contradictory is it? It's quite plausible.

[ 15.03.2007, 11:15: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

New Way Of Decay

My housemates have agreed that your mum can come to my flat for the weekend to stay and cook for us if she wants H1ppy. There's no telly and the pestle and mortar is one of those cheap ones from Ikea. She can burst into tears at the horror of it all too, if she wants.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

If she wants to cook something simple, then we have three tin openers. They're all pretty knackered though. I don't think it would cost too much to buy a new one though, in hindsight.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+