Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Most Musical City (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Most Musical City
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carter:
If you're serious, I can probably find out though.

Ah, right, I had pictured you leaning back in your leather chair, phone to your ear, short pause...

- Bridge, Cap'n speaking!

- Julian, hi. Carter here!

- Carter! How's the Old Man?

- Father's very well and sends regards from the Admiralty Club. But listen old boy... little bit of gen I was hoping you might provide...

etc. Don't tell me I'm wrong now.

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chair is plastic.

[Frown]

I will ask my friend the driver note NOT Captain of the AR. Shortly.

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Uncle lives in Weymouth. Is Weymouth any good? I'm going there in August, as uncle's son is getting married. If it's really good I might go down early and do some coastal walking or something. But I don't know if it's any good or not.

Is Weymouth 'good'?

Hey, I go to Weymouth a lot. My partner (and, I'm pleased to say, lover) is from there. Weymouth is scuffy and good in equal measure. It's a slightly low rent seaside town with all the trappings, it's got the stag do pub crawls to contend with but it's also got decent pubs like the Boot or the Sailors around the quayside to drink in.
The coastal walks are brilliant, you've got Durdle Door just down the coast and all the wonderment of the jurassic coastline itself. There's fishing for mackerel to do just by the Nove and there's Portland to trudge around.
I like Weymouth, I like Dorset generally. Not as twee as Devon.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think it would be feasible to leave the car in Weymouth and just start walking along the coast all day, and then camp somewhere (near a pub), and then maybe do that again (walk along coast, spend night in pub), and then on the next day get a train or bus or something back to Weymouth?

Do you think that be a pleasant thing to do, in August, in good weather?

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why not. I can think of one example immediately, on the way to Durdle Dor from Weymouth there's a decent enough pub called the Smugglers that's set in an attractive cove. I think a lot of pubs may well have no objection to taking a fiver of your money to let you pitch up for the night.
There's also loads of camp sites along that coast line.
Obviously you'd get away with pitching wild as well, but you may have to pitch up a bit further away from civilisation for that.
Along that bit of coast and set in woodland there's Hardy's Monument, whose owner allows camping by it, although that's not near a pub.
So yeah, I reckon that would be a really pleasant thing to do. In fact, I remember not so long ago, whilst drinking in the Boot we met two lads who were doing just that and having a great time doing it.

[ 17.06.2008, 11:59: Message edited by: McDirts ]

mart
Sounds grand, thanks!
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, R08 - AKA Ark Royal - I knows a thing about this or two

My first interview when I left school was to be an Aircraft Artificer in the Fleet Air Arm - AKA an aircraft engineer in the RN - if son of Dang made it through the interview he did well (hardest Interview I ever had)

Now the thing is the British Fleet is being redesigned - with the decommosioning of the Harrier the RN is buying is the US built Joint Strike Fighter which is not VTOL (vertical take off-landing) but STOL (short....) - there is also a new contract to build two new aircraft carriers about the same size as the US Nimitz class (but with much fewer crew - automation and all that) - but also accomodating longer flight decks to accomodate the JSF (why they didn't adopt a variant of the eurofighter typhoon I do not know)......

Anyway I digressing, but Dang - son no.1 Is on for the career of his life, and I wish him well - great time to join, loads of the best toys to play with and as long as he stays with it he has not just a job, but a life he will be proud of.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

mart
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
as long as he stays with it he has not just a job, but a life he will be proud of.

Does anyone else find this a bit weird? I know we probably need some armed forces of some kind, but there's the whole being a plaything of the politicians aspect to it that makes me think ewww, that's nothing to be proud of. Unless following orders and doing exactly what you're told, and doing it as well as you can, is more how I should look at it. I don't know.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it's the whole thing where you're prepared to defend everyone else's way of life while they slope around drinking Latte's, smoking cigarettes and complaining about how awful it is that the west keeps its boot on the throat of developing nations. You can argue, I suppose, that soldiers are the plaything of the government who unquestioningly do as they're told, but let's face it: so are the rest of us. We might grumble a bit on the way, but I'm sure the Forces are prone to bitching about assignments, maybe standing waist high in a swamp going "Maan, this is bullshit!". Not an effective protest, but then so is very little of what any of us do, and really we're as much part of the problem as any soldier would be. We're all contributing to the sum total of human misery in a colossal way when we buy cheap clothes, cheap cars, cheap computers and cheap food and I don't think a single one of us could really defend our lifestyles from a moral point of view in any convincing way. We all live lives of unprecedented luxury, which is paid for by the misery of others both ongoing and in the past, and we do it by unquestioning following of this kind of consumerist/ sybaritic indoctrination. Consequently, it seems a bit churlish to say "eww, soldiers follow orders eww" without realising that you do too and the consequences of your actions contribute to the suffering of others every day. At the very least, I suppose, soldiers are willing to die so that we can continue living like giant mollycoddled babies, whereas we ourselves probably wouldn't even give up TV even if it somehow meant an end to human human misery, everywhere. Plus there's the chance, I suppose, that you might bring stability or hope to a region whereas the absolute best any of the rest of us do is ask for a Fair Trade coffee at Cafe Nero, which probably isn't the right thing to do either.

[ 18.06.2008, 06:02: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

mart
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Consequently, it seems a bit churlish to say "eww, soldiers follow orders eww" without realising that you do too and the consequences of your actions contribute to the suffering of others every day...

Yeah, I'm totally aware of that. And I agree with this:

quote:
Plus there's the chance, I suppose, that you might bring stability or hope to a region whereas the absolute best any of the rest of us do is ask for a Fair Trade coffee at Cafe Nero, which probably isn't the right thing to do either.
which is why my "eww" was/is a bit woolly and probably doesn't stand up. I agree with you, basically. You put it more eloquently than I could, or could be arsed to.

[ 18.06.2008, 05:58: Message edited by: mart ]

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
quote:
Latte's

For fuck's sake.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Latte's

For fuck's sake.
Fuck! A typo! On the internet! And that was probably the only thing worth commenting on in that post, I guess. There's nothing else to really grab hold of is there. You know, I'm all for nitpicking grammar and all the rest of it, but it's probably best if it's not the sum total of your posting presence. Put some fucking effort in and then get your red pen out.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorn's post made a solitary tear escape my left eye. Now it's fogged up my glasses.
Thorn Davis

Also, you missed "keeps it's boot". What's the point in stepping in with the corrections if you can't even do it properly?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also missed:

quote:
an end to human human misery
Thorn typed the same word twice, the fucking moron!
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's Caffè Nero, not Cafe Nero.

Jesus... [Roll Eyes]

Thorn Davis

That was deliberate. Human human misery as opposed to inhuman human misery or human inhuman misery or inhuman inhuman misery.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Thorn.
mart
So we're all agreed that it's okay to join the armed forces.
Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
quote:
quote:
quote:
Latte's

For fuck's sake.
Fuck! A typo! On the internet! And that was probably the only thing worth commenting on in that post, I guess. There's nothing else to really grab hold of is there. You know, I'm all for nitpicking grammar and all the rest of it, but it's probably best if it's not the sum total of your posting presence. Put some fucking effort in and then get your red pen out.
No!

[Smile]

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by mart:
So we're all agreed that it's okay to join the armed forces.

It's okay for other people to do, but it's not really my sort of thing. I did Friday afternoon cooking, art and drama rather than joining the CCF at school.
Thorn Davis

quote:
No!

[Smile]

I'm just trying to help you. At this rate you'll never be important enough for ben to congratulate you on your impending fatherhood.

[ 18.06.2008, 06:45: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

mart
Yeah when's it due, Carter? How is Gemini? All going well?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Carter and Gemini break up like 5 years ago?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's nothing else to really grab hold of is there.

Why don't you grab a hold of DEEZ NUTZ
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
And it's Caffè Nero, not Cafe Nero.

Jesus... [Roll Eyes]

It'll always be CAFFÈ NERD to me.

-

As for the armed forces... I'm quite jealous that my son is going to get to travel round the world and learn all sorts of skills. I'm trying not to think about the bit where he loads missiles onto a jet fighter which goes and blows up a village. So I'm, kind of torn on the whole thing.

He's done it all himself though, from working his way up to Company Sergeant Major in the Cadets, passing his driving test first time, getting engineering awards at school and studying aeronautical engineering at college, to going through all the interviews, physical tests and induction courses to get into the Navy. Apart from feeding and clothing him, all that was nothing to do with us. In fact, if we ever suggested anything he'd immediately do the opposite, in traditional anti-parent rebellion style. We did pay for some extra maths tuition at one point I suppose.

MiscellaneousFiles

-

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+