Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Newbie Alert (Page 9)

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Newbie Alert
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us what's up, Kira. A problem shared is a problem, er...can't remember.
Kira
Were you knocked on the head or something?
 - posted      Profile for Kira           Edit/Delete Post 
oh not much really,

long story short...

acrimonius seperation 'issues', one house sold, completed yesterday, cheques posted today to relevant parties, just received breakdown of costs and the 'opposition' solicitors have forgotten some money (well £3100) is still owed to myself and this fact has been mysteriously overlooked...

Kira
which is shit but if I had actually read the letter properly instead of glancing over it before I went to work I would have noticed this and been able to sort it with minimum fuss...

Now I have to just wait til tomorrow and sort it out then...but if cheques have already been sent then his solicitors will have to get the £3100 off him which I cant see happening quickly [Frown]

Never mind not much anyone can do, I'm just angry with myself for being such a ditz...

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Was it amicable, Kira? I mean, would he be obstructive?
Kira
Nah not really amicable. I just have no experience in these situations and tend to just assume everything will go ok, like i say, a bit ditzy.

Or a closet blonde...

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
surely the solicitor would cancel and reissue the cheques rather than making you pursue your ex? they might charge you a tenner or something for doing it but it'd surely be better than the alternative of you chasing him for it.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand this...

-

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
The point is meant to be that people don't notice the repetition of "the".

--------------------
member #28

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
ah. it's like that one with the ifs, then.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

CheapRedWine
 - posted      Profile for CheapRedWine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Deep Freeze:
Think yourselves lucky. I have to share a computer terminal with five people. I would kill for a cubicle.

pah! try one cubicle between 64 and a 3 mile hike to the nearest waterhole complete with head-balancing receptacle when thirsty.
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Look everyone, it's Gordon-Tarquin coming back from some water cooler chat!

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
pluck can only get so far, Roy. Who would win the war, Roy? You know the answer, why not just say it?

Considering your track record in recent times you'd need to improve your intel some, if recent history is anything to go by your miltary "intelligence" would probably flag the Isle Of Wight as being a key military target...

[Wink] just in case

Skalski
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Skalski           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
We'd get help.

You could always ask Poland to lend a hand: we helped you to win WWII. Aerial supremacy, you see.

-

sabian

Really? I thought Poland bent over and let Hitler take it from behind, kinda like France did.

You sure you aren't confusing Poland for America?

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
what, like Hitler bummed Poland?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Skalski
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
You sure you aren't confusing Poland for America?

Positive.

Brave man: exposing your own ignorance in the name of entertainment.

Following the German invasion, Poland established armed forces outside Poland, contributing substantially to the Allied effort throughout the war. Poland never made a general surrender and was the only German-occupied country that did not collaborate with the Nazis. The Polish fighter squadrons were the best the Allies had.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah right. The Royal Air Force pwned so hard it hurt.
Skalski
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Yeah right. The Royal Air Force pwned so hard it hurt.

Yeah, good point.

What?

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Homebase the other night to prepare for the approaching ice age and got some double glazing inna box! You simply stretch a thin plastic film across your window frame, then blow a hair dryer on it and it shrinks to pull tight creating instant double glazing!
In the process of trying to find where in the shop this stuff was the assistant showed me actual double glazing, corrugated plastic, a large roll of bubble wrap (Now, if I put that over my windows I wont be able to see out of them will I?) and a tarpaulin. We got there eventually but only after I had explained what a ‘draught’ was (small bits of wind?).

I shall be sorely disappointed if the promised icy armageddon fails to materialise.

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Abby.....

How does that work again? I thought that the insulating effect (sound and heat) in double glazing came from the air gap between the two panes.

How does shrink wrapping a piece of plastic to your glass insulate? Surely there's no gap? Unless of course you do use bubble wrap with air bubbles as mentioned. [Confused]

Dr. Benway

shh! don't spoil it for her!

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be better off buying some really thick curtians.

[edit]Benway, do you have power back yet ?[/edit]

[ 20.10.2005, 06:13: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Dr. Benway

yeah, it was a thing to do with my extensions, not my mains. Although one socket now doesn't work, but I'm just ignoring that.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

sabian

quote:
Originally posted by Skalski:

Brave man: exposing your own ignorance in the name of entertainment.

lol

quote:
Originally posted by OJ:

How does that work again? I thought that the insulating effect (sound and heat) in double glazing came from the air gap between the two panes.

How does shrink wrapping a piece of plastic to your glass insulate? Surely there's no gap?

I've used this in the past in my appartments in the states and I can confirm it works.

You put the shrink wrap on the window frame leaving a gap between the plastic and the window. You attach it (atleast when I did it) with little planks of wood (kinda like that 'gripper' stuff they use to carpets down) and nail it down. Then, using the hair dryer, it creates a kind of seal making it nearly air tight.

Thus creating the requisit (sp?) gap to make the insulation... It also helps by preventing draughts. It looks a little naff and is a pain if you forget it's there and put your finger through it (you have to redo the whole lot if the seal is broken)... But, a few dollars (again, my experience, no idea what it costs here) is a hell of a lot better than shucking out thousands for proper double glazing.

--------------------

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
Hullo energy saving fans!

The plastic sheeting is applied to the edge of the window frame not the glass itself, so there will be a gap between glass and plastic. Although no vacuum of course! I see this primarily as a draught prevention measure as I have rickety old sash windows. This does mean you can't open the windows so you have to wait until winter proper has set in before application...

I also have thick curtains, but my flat is excessively chilly so I am taking all measures possible!

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
Curses, too slow!

Not sure about the little bits of wood...I think my boxes contain 'special tape'. I will report back after the weekend when I plan to seal the bedroom windows as we cant open them anyway because it would let the pikeys in.

Cost for 6 sq foot of plastic £5.99 I think.

sabian

Ahh, the tape is a bitch...

Make sure you wipe the wood down with white spirit or similar to get all the oil/dirt off else the tape comes down after a couple days...

I've had the tape and the wood ones... I ended up going to the lumber yard and getting the wood to hammer over the tape, which actually made a better seal than either of the other two by themselves

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Other things you can do with your plastic sheet:

• Press your face up against it then grimace and pretend you actually are the Big Brother title sequence.
  • Fill the area behind the plastic with water and put a fetching carp in it. Then you can pretend your window is a giant fairground prize, won by throwing medicine balls at mutant coconuts. You will need a large stock of carp, though, as they don't live very long once the water has poured out onto the floor.
  • Cut a flap in it with a sharp knife, creating the illusion that you have a glasscutter and are actually a famous cat burglar. Better still, put an old woman's missing tabey behind the 'pane'' first: steal the cat then fuck Grace Kelly, Sean Connery, Michael Douglas.
  • Poo on it and pretend you're the brown goldfish.

[ 20.10.2005, 07:34: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Hurrah! Absolute shit!
OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I see, it makes perfect sense if you're attaching it to the frame, not the window.

LOL @ Jonesy. I didn't quite get the cat reference but it occurs to me that this method would be of no use to people with sharp-clawed and inquisitve pets. Or ones who like to sit in windows displaying themselves to their adoring public.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Jonesy, Jonesy Jonesy! did you watch the stand up clip! Didf it make you wince? Did you find yourself imagining the same thing happening to Kurve, and then burst out laughing uncontrollably for 10 minutes?
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
I wasn't going to post today but I have to lol Joynzy
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
The cat reference is to one of TMO's most famous and controversial threads. I believe you are a cat lover, OJ, (and a good person) so I better not tell you about it.

It wouldn't reflect well on some of us.

[ 20.10.2005, 07:29: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Jonesy, Jonesy Jonesy! did you watch the stand up clip! Didf it make you wince? Did you find yourself imagining the same thing happening to Kurve, and then burst out laughing uncontrollably for 10 minutes?

I still haven't watched it. I only had access to a Mac last night. I think I should save it up for when someone dies and I want to feel cheery.

Also, as you know, I have seen Kurve's stand-up (terrifying real life/internet crossover moment). It was surprisingly watchable.

I'm so sorry. I feel like I've just struck you, Thorn.

[ 20.10.2005, 07:34: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
I wasn't going to post today

lol

This topic is comprised of pages: 10 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+