Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Lastfm weekly top artists (Page 9)

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Lastfm weekly top artists
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fingers are typing, but I don't know why...
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one

http://www.tuaw.com/

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
MiscellaneousFiles

The atmosphere is electric here right now. People are passing out...

OMG

Edit: OMFG Apple TV!!!!!

[ 09.01.2007, 12:28: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

MiscellaneousFiles

WTF is Steve Ballmer doing here? God! He just killed three security guards with his bare hands and now he's clambering sweatily on stage, shouting something about "developers" and threatening Jobs with a chair...
MiscellaneousFiles

So the big news was the much anticipated iPhone. From what I can tell it's a web-enabled PDA, a mobile phone and an widescreen iPod, all controlled with a clever multi-touch screen. It sounds like a good bundle of functionality, but $600 on a two year contract is quite pricey. Also, I hope Apple have spent money researching clever screen surfaces that don't pick up fingerprints. While I understand that they wanted to avoid a hard disk in order to keep the device slim, I'm not sure that 8Gb will provide enough storage space for all the video and music people will want to carry around.

-

I expect they'll release a new iPod somewhere down the line which will inherit much of the iPhone's functionality, but with a 100 Gb HDD and no phone.

EAT: No 3G?

[Confused]

[ 10.01.2007, 04:49: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was expecting more from the IPhone really, it's a nice looking piece of kit and will no doubt be snapped up by all Apple lovers as soon as it's released..

You can get 4 decent size movies onto a 2GB storage card using the current compression programs for the video Ipod so I suppose 8Gb is enough for 3 Gb of movies, 4 GB of music and 1GB over for 'Misc Files'..

$600 on a two year contract is dear though, and what price contract would that be ?

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand young people today. Why would you want to watch movies on a phone anyway? Does it come with a free electron microscope?
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you herbs. Complete waste of fucking time. What's wrong with reading a decent book if you're in need of entertainment whilst on the move. I'm sure these new gadgets are designed solely for sad twats wanting to look 'cutting edge'.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
What's wrong with reading a decent book if you're in need of entertainment whilst on the move.

Exactly, that's why I have one of these:

-

Mind, The DaVinci Code was a sh*t book.

[ 10.01.2007, 07:18: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Zygote
TMO's Member
It's just not the same as holding the book though is it? That lovely aroma of paper. Mmmm... It really allows you to absorb yourself in the story. Manually turning pages is also a huge part of the enjoyment. The sounds of pages turning - it's enough to give you a hard-on, in the right surroundings.

You just don't get these benefits with an electronic device.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why not just stop making films and tv shows altogether, if you really want to hammer home the book message.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, that stuff about the smell of paper and the sound of pages turning. Surely when you're reading a book you don't actually notice these things at all? When I'm reading, I'm half in reality, half in a kind of semi-sketched version of the thing that I'm reading about. The look and feel of the book becomes completely irrelevant as long as I can actually read it okay. I've not down with fetishising books. They are merely vessels. They're the bottle that your beer comes in. The experience of the book isn't the aesthetic of the text itself, but rather, the ideas that the text represents. So the text too, is just a container.

I'm obviously not saying that people are wrong for loving books, but only that I personally try to glorify the imaginative experience by playing down the physical one. I don't know if it works or not, but it's a habit. I'm not preaching here, even though that makes me sound like I am. Do what you like. I don't care.

[ 10.01.2007, 07:46: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched a few films on a video ipod and after about 5 minutes, you don't notice that the screen is the size of a credit card. I can see the appeal of something the size of a Video ipod with a couple of my favourite films on. In particular, when I was trying to enjoy a book on the train there were no seats left and the corridors were filled with people. I squatted down on the floor to read my book and someone loudly ate crisps above my head. It was the perfect time to watch an old favourite film with headphone in ear to block out the offending phonecalls, coughing and crisp shower I had paid a millions pounds to endure.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
why not just stop making films and tv shows altogether, if you really want to hammer home the book message.

That's not really the point as I understood it. Isn't it more about the fact that watching a film on a 3in screen diminishes the experience so completely as to make it utterly redundant. It's like "if you're that desperate for something to occupy yourself, how about a book", rather than just a blanket statement that books are better than films.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
I've watched a few films on a video ipod and after about 5 minutes, you don't notice that the screen is the size of a credit card.

Next week: How to save £££s on a visit to the Grand Canyon by breaking a pebble in two and holding the two halves up really close to your face.

--------------------

Zygote
TMO's Member
It all boils down to personal preference really doesn't it? I'm just not into all this 'do-this-do-that-surf-there-read-this-on-here-live-your-life-on-this-fucking-thing' bollocks. I prefer the real thing. Many of my friends feel the same, but - that said - we're a bit old-fashioned here. Nothing wrong with that.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
quote:

That's not really the point as I understood it. Isn't it more about the fact that watching a film on a 3in screen diminishes the experience so completely as to make it utterly redundant.
As mickey says, I don't think that's the case. A traditional mobile phone screen may not be adequate, but that apple thing would probably be okay. When you're staring at the screen and you've got your headphones in, it's still an immersive experience. It's just that you fill in the blanks more rather than being completely immersed in the immediate visual experience. The drama, characters, story, script etc won't neccesarily be lost.

[ 10.01.2007, 07:45: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Nathan Bleak
quote:
It's just that you fill in the blanks more rather than being completely immersed in the immediate visual experience. The drama, characters, story, script etc won't neccesarily be lost.

So it's watching a film, but without the immersive visual experience? Sounds fucking fantastic.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

Think about it - the screen might be smaller but it's designed to be viewed from a shorter distance than a television. So the percentage of your field of vision it occupies would be similar. Get it? Aside from a few lines of resolution, I don't see why this would be any less immersive than watching a television.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I think it's best to compare it to a TV, rather than a a cinema, but perhaps Nathan is such a purist that he can't enjoy films on a TV either.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading gives you AIDS.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
yes, AIDS of the cock.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best kind.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Mask, isn't it your turn to change your name? I'll think up some suggestions for you.
Black Mask

Cool!

--------------------
sweet

Zygote
TMO's Member
Black Cock.
Black Mask

Classy!

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unimaginative, Zygote. That name contains one element of Masky's current name. It's rubbish. I mean, look at the precedents. Doctor Benway to Jimmy Big Nuts. Discodamage to Dance Margerita. Thorn Davis to Nathan Bleak. A bar has been set and you're not even trying to reach that standard. Buck your ideas up, man.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
hang on - Nathan Bleak is Thorn?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I'm Dr. Benway?
Black Mask

I thought NB was GtG!

[ 10.01.2007, 08:27: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Zygote
TMO's Member
Sorry, Louche.

*hangs head*

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I thought NB was GtG!

Hah, I thought it was Uber!

--------------------
supa scrub

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I thought NB was GtG!

What does 'GtG' mean? The only definition, other than Gloucester Training Group I can find is:

quote:
A quick way of expressing "got to go". Commonly used in IM exchanges.

fireg@l23:so anyway, i sucked that dick over and over

sandy54:then what happened?

fireg@l23:gtg
by gtg Oct 17, 2004 email it

Edit: Fuck, he's edited the post now, leaving me with the familiar feeling of the entire forum rolling their eyes at me; with only me not knowing who the underlying poster is. Curse you all.

[ 10.01.2007, 08:38: Message edited by: Zygote ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+