Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Lastfm weekly top artists (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Lastfm weekly top artists
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
I wasn't laughing at Fleetwood Mac so much as laughing at how they stuck out like a sore thumb in a list of bands I've never heard of.

Fair enough. Though you must know Marlene Deitrich, you know, famous actress, German? And Nina Simone, famous jazz singer, fat?
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by London:
Though you must know Marlene Deitrich, you know, famous actress, German? And Nina Simone, famous jazz singer, fat?

I didn't realize it was the Marlene Deitrich. Never heard of Nina Simone. I don't really do jazz.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLAYER 1 LOSES 1000 CULTURE POINTS
ralph

Can I get some back based on the fact that I've never seen a NASCAR race?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLAYER 1 LOSES 75 HIPSTER POINTS

WARNING! PLAYER 1 HEALTH LOW!

ralph

BEARDED RALPH NEEDS FOOD BADLY!

[ 23.10.2006, 10:28: Message edited by: ralph ]

Pepper
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pepper           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check carefully, there's probably some caught in your beard.
Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Never heard of Nina Simone.

Ralph you bloody savage.
sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be fair to ralph. Would anyone here have really really listened to Nina Simone recently if there hadn't been those TV adverts?

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

ralph

Aha! And I wouldn't have seen those adverts as I don't live in the UK or watch the telly! Thanks, sam. I owe you one.
Dedalus
TMO Member
Sam you idiot. You're missing out on loads of fantastic music by sticking to your "Best Advert Songs... Ever!!!" compilations.
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dedalus:
Sam you idiot. You're missing out on loads of fantastic music by sticking to your "Best Advert Songs... Ever!!!" compilations.

Damn! I've given myself away. [Frown] I was going to buy that compilation of that band Oasis this weekend. Any good?

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Dedalus
TMO Member
It's popular with flower arrangers.
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dedalus:
It's popular with flower arrangers.

You're a woman, right? Ony a woman would remember what that green stuff is called.

Or little boys who used to like sticking their fingers in it, I suppose.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Dedalus
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
Or little boys who used to like sticking their fingers in it, I suppose.

Bingo.
ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I must've been having impure thoughts about Lauren Laverne again.

Next week will probably be downloaded stuff from all the bands that played Brainwash festival over the weekend.

But then next week this post will be meaningless since last.fm generates these charts on the fly.

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenicke - I have heard good things about them even before learning the loveliness of Lauren Laverne. Any recommendations as to what one should start with?

[ 24.10.2006, 01:06: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once sat onstage during a Kenickie gig at the Paradiso looking directly up MARIE DU SANTIAGO's skirt...

It wasn't a good sounding gig but the view was OK..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Lauren Laverne was Shampoo, not Kenickie? or am I thinking of someone else?

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shampoo were Jacqui Blake and Carrie Askew..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Name the television programme from a few years ago that was presented by a barefoot Lauren Laverne, reclining on a bed.

ETA: Time's up. It was *Loves Like A Dog.

[ 24.10.2006, 04:46: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

London

quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Kenicke - I have heard good things about them even before learning the loveliness of Lauren Laverne. Any recommendations as to what one should start with?

Download 'In Your Car' and 'Nightlife' and 'Come Out Tonight.' TOTAL AWESOMENESS will ensue.

eta: and 'Punka'!

[ 24.10.2006, 05:43: Message edited by: London ]

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend all of the Get In album (that's what I was listening to) esp Weeknights and 5 am.

I'd also urge you to listen to Lauren's brother, J. Xaverre (aka Pete Gofton, formerly Johnny X), though unfortunately Lauren doesn't sing on the These Acid Stars album.

Darryn, do you know We vs. Death, from Utrecht? Saw them on Sunday and was very impressed, though they don't sound quite as epic on record as they do live.

[ 24.10.2006, 11:04: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there's some Cansei de ser Sexy fans here. I just found a link to some videos on you tube.

Lets make love and listen to death from above
A bit shit

Alala
Excellent!

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
real fans saw them live a couple of months ago. The guitarist girl is sexy.

[ 26.10.2006, 05:50: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

London

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
real fans saw them live a couple of months ago. The guitarist girl is sexy.

yeah and you can read a really AWESOME review of it here
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 -

Murs at the top this week and not Immortal Technique. I'm not suprised - Murs has really infected me, and will probably get some more time this week. I've got me some schubert which I'll be spinning this week, and I'm going to see if I can locate some of Múm's albums (the icelandic glitch band, not my Mum). I got the first one years ago, and fancy listening to some more. After all this hate-hop (Necro/Jedi Mind) it'll be like bathing in a cool icelandic lake, complete with smooth lovely grey and teal coloured rocks resting on the bed.

not...
 -

Well NWA is topping my chart as predicted. I had a pretty hardcore last week music wise, revisting my youth hanging out in car parks in ford capri's and XR3's fitted with disco subwoofers lovingly carved into sagging parcel shelves 1993 style.

Good to see Prince getting some plays there too - I just downloaded a few tracks after actually listening to the lyrics of one of his tracks and thinking they were pretty sweet.
quote:
In september my cousin tried reefer 4 the very first time
Now hes doing horse, its june

Dunno why really, but there you go....
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
predictions for next week?
not...
Too early to say really. it's kicking off with some sigur ros, so a gentle start.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
perfect for a monday morning though. I'm going to fire up Vangelis' Blade Runner again soon.
London

-

I'm so indie so indie so so so indie. [Frown]

Deerhoof is the only cool thing on there. [Frown]

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm speaking here as a person with no creative talent whatsoever, obviously, and therefore not in any real position to make comment - having said that, no offence, London, but somehow it seems slightly self-indulgent and just not very English to listen to your own stuff so much that it's at the top of your playlist.

I'm only aware of it because I've been reading Watching The English by Kate Fox and I'm at the bit where it talks about how self-deprecation and understatement is a key component of everyday conversational interaction.

[ 30.10.2006, 06:24: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
it seems slightly self-indulgent and just not very English to listen to your own stuff so much that it's at the top of your playlist.

I've never really understood that rationale, except for the damned un-English aspect of it I suppose. But when musicians say, "Oh, I haven't listened to that album since the day we did the final mix," or actors say, "You know, I've never watched that film, even though it's regularly voted the best film ever and I was the main star in it," I just think, bollocks, I bet you've got the album/film on permanent loop in your house.

I mean, what's the point of making really good music or really good films if you're not actually going to enjoy them yourself? If I had any musical talent at all then I'd spend all day making records especially so I could listen to them in the evening instead of having to listen to all that shite everyone else makes.

Dedalus
TMO Member
I'm waiting for someone to do a really deadly put-down involving eggs, ideally with a slight Gallic theme, so I can post:

"Oooeuf!"

It's not going to happen, is it?

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+