Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » what have you been reading and watching (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  4  ...  38  39  40 

Author Topic: what have you been reading and watching
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading "we-think" and I saw [Rec] at the cinema - yeah. Yeah, quite good. Errm, no, I mean the book. No. No, it was okay b- it was - no, the book is good, I - yeah - I was talking about the film. The film. [Rec]. Yeah. Yeah it's in the cinema now. Oh, it might be limited release, not sure. Err, Spanish I think. Yeah. Yeah, you know... not really. I would say that it was mostly overhyped. Yeah it was. Very much like Blair Witch in places. Shaky cam and that. No, I never saw cloverfield but - bu - but yeah, that's what I heard so -

- so, I -

- okay, well, I'll be around so if you want to chat ag -

-right, bye then, bye

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why haven't you become Charlie's myspace friend? He only has one friend.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a film called 'blood car'. It was good.

[ 19.04.2008, 11:07: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an Opera called "The Minotaur". It wasn't great.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
tonight I may as well go and watch son of rambow. stay tuned.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to watch Son of Rambow today - at a 'parent and baby screening'. Can you believe this shit...a cinema full of mewling, puking savages working in unison to prevent you following a single word of dialogue as Dolby surround sound buffets your poor mind so it's incapable of telling you how to deal with the unhappy gaybe in your arms.

And you pay for the privilege.

It promises to be as far removed from the traditional going to the cinema experience as humanly possible.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's the point?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m no baby expert but aren’t Biggie and Smalls still very much in the ‘baby’ rather then ‘child’ category? Do they actually watch films? Or is this just going to be deeply unpleasant for you and totally meaningless for them?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Can you believe this shit...a cinema full of mewling, puking savages working in unison to prevent you following a single word of dialogue...

It promises to be as far removed from the traditional going to the cinema experience as humanly possible.

You've obviously never been to the Vue at Basingstoke.
Dr. Benway

I also would like to see In Bruges. I have a girlfriend, and she saw Happy go Lucky. She said that she didn't think I'd like it. Fun fact: The main character lives on the same road that I used to live on, and now jonesy and scrawny both live on.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a parent and baby screening of some film. I can't remember the plot, or even what the film was, as it was such a cacophany my entire brain shut down. Awful.

In other news, I like the Apprentice, although all those left in it are unredeemable shits.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
I’m no baby expert but aren’t Biggie and Smalls still very much in the ‘baby’ rather then ‘child’ category? Do they actually watch films? Or is this just going to be deeply unpleasant for you and totally meaningless for them?

The second one. 'Parent and baby' screenings are to give the chance to new parents to - you know - get out the house a bit, and by lumping them all into the same screening it discourages them from bringing a young baby into 'regular' showings. It's an OK idea, I reckon. If nothing else it's got to be an absolute goldmine pulling opportunity. Jonesy will probably be the only bloke there and as long as he trains himself to say a few lines like "Gosh... you mean he doesn't help out at all?" and "I don't see it as giving up work - to my mind raising a child is the most important and rewarding job a person can do" and if he wants to push the boat out something along the lines of "Since their mother left they're all I have. Of course I'd love to have someone take care me for a change, but - haha - seriously, I feel luckier than most people", then he'll be knee deep in late-twenties clunge before he even collects his popcorn.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Good luck Jonsey!
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benwah, definitely go and see In Bruges! I saw it on Sunday and it was excellent. In parts laugh out loud absurd, in parts moving, in other parts violent.
Highly recommended, 4 Garys.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was alright. Better than being in the house. Son of Rainbow 7 out of 10.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get any action? You were gone for a while.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Action's what got me in this fucking mess in the first place.

[ 22.04.2008, 10:08: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Thorn Davis

OK, look. I know you're tired and probably angry, but I don't want to hear you talking about action like that again.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I have three action-related problems, and I would never say a word against action.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Sorry Action. It's true: you're all good. And deep down, I love those little action men, damnit.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
7/10 seems fair for son of rambow. Typical british comedy-drama, with clunky dialogue being compensated for with some nice shot compositions. You could see where Jenning's history with promos came into effect.
Dr. Benway

nearly done with season 2 or The Wire. One more episode to go. So far, the thumbs are aloft, but it doesn't rival the first series for awesomeness.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

I preferred the second season; Frank Sobotka has been pretty much my favourite character in the whole show.

I watched Superbad last night, and - lol - it should have been retitled 'Pretty Bad'. I was a bit bewildered cuz it seemed to have a lot of praise from some fairly credible quarters (eg, kovacs) but was mostly the same old shit. There were a couple of gross out gags that didn't really make any sense, like a woman rubbing period over this dude's leg while she was dancing with him, like she was haemorraging or something. Then someone goes "Hey you've got blood on your trousers. Were you dancing with a girl? Oh my god that's period!" as though that was the first thing that would occur to you if you saw a small red stain on a man's thigh. The plot hinges on at least three stupid co-incidences and the movie continues that wearisome shit where geeky guys get with fit chicks. How can anyone seriously churn out a film where the guys are accepted for their nerdy loveability but the chicks that go with them are just plain old gorgeous babes. Even Juno had this problem: the lead character kept pretending that she was some sort of misfit even though she bwas hotter than the surface of the sun.

Bah! Anyway. Maybe I'm getting too old for this sort of thing, but Superbad didn't really impress me. It seemed like a few guys wanted to make a movie for the love of reliving an imaginary youth, but didn't really have any ideas in terms of story or unusual characters. Compared to stuff like Dazed and Confused or 10 Things I Hate About You, Stupidbad is really fucking average.

Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
I preferred the second season; Frank Sobotka has been pretty much my favourite character in the whole show.

No, he looks like a large hairy baby.

The best character so far is Rawls. And the worst is Ziggy. That dude was a dick. He also reminded me slightly of me. Pathetic, needy and weak willed. Always trying to be the centre of attention, pissing everybody off.

[ 24.04.2008, 05:44: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

actually maybe not Rawls. I suppose it's got to be Omar, even if that's a totally obvious choice.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been lent the whole first series of Heroes which I have to watch before 9.50 pm because the second series starts then. That's a serious commitment of time so is it worth it?

For my reading, I read A Thousand Splendid Suns and found it gruelling but absorbing. The Kite Runner didn't stick in my mind much afterwards, but this book isn't shifting. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and can identify more; don't know. Anyone else read it?

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
And the worst is Ziggy. That dude was a dick. He also reminded me slightly of me. Pathetic, needy and weak willed. Always trying to be the centre of attention, pissing everybody off.

I know what you mean, but doesn't that sort of make him a great character? I watched him and thought "Christ, that's probably exactly how I'd turn out if I grew up in his situation". He's an awful twerp, and you wouldn't want to spend time with him, but I watching him made me feel uncomfortable for the best possible reasons.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah but by worst character, I mean, the character I like the least, not the least well crafted character. But we seem to be on similar pages here.

[ 24.04.2008, 06:06: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished Season 2 of The Wire. Good ending. Got Season 3. Good packaging, finally.

I watched The Abyss at the weekend. Can you Adam and Eve that I'd never seen that jazz before? Quite good. I liked Kyle Reece from The Terminator as the nutjob agent. And I liked the end where Ed Harris kept falling deeper and deeper down into the ocean. I definitely had a few moments where thinking about just how deep it goes weirded me out. Like, if you were over a mile beneath the surface, in the pitch black, alone, freezing, with limited air. That's some scary shit. The ending was stupid though.

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
almost did season 4 again (1 episode left). season five next weekend.

cedric daniels and roland prezbyaldsjfhweiurysdski.

Pepper
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pepper           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see the regular version of The Abyss, Kanye, or the director's cut? I much preferred the ending of the latter.

This weekend I have watched most of series 3 of My Name is Earl, and been a bit disappointed.

Kanye West
TMO Member
how would I know the difference between the two?

eta:IMDB tells me that it was the normal version, not the special edition.

[ 28.04.2008, 09:55: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Pepper
TMO Member
Ah, the second version is about half an hour longer and explains what the aliens were planning to do (watery devastation cos humans are so warmongery) and why they didn't (Bud's love for his missus).
Kanye West
TMO Member
Right. I can't see how that would make it better though.
Pepper
TMO Member
It did though.

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  4  ...  38  39  40 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+