Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Dead » State Of The Boards Address (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: State Of The Boards Address
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I think that what we have is fine, we just need a bit more of it.

*churtle*
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps an internet forum is the 'java' chat room of the future ? Who remembers when they were full, busy and exciting ??

I agree with Kovacs that when this all began four or so years ago it was new, it had a genuine feeling of the future about it, a new communication medium for the cyber savvy to explore and merge minds in.

As he says now the net is full of every Tom, Dick and Harry posting and plastering whatever they feel fit across forums and websites the world over.

I remember when 70% of the posts on B3ta were good quality Photoshop montages or well thought through animated gags - Now for each worthwhile picture and joke there’s at least 20 cut'n'shunt pictures of George Bush fisting Osama or a badly drawn cock in MS Paint.

I guess the same applies here to a certain extent. Once you've been through as many discussions as there have been here, once you've written all you can think to write the forum will fall into 'in jokes, one liners and post meet bitching' but that’s not such a bad thing is it ?

Those of you who have stuck with TMO are in a relationship with it now; it’s your regular girlfriend/boyfriend who you've been with for years, who knows and understands you, who loves you for who you are..

Ok, so its not hot new guy from accounts or that sexy blonde barmaid from the pub who you fantasize about, the one you wish would fly you to the extreme heights of passion and fuck you and abuse you till you die of ecstasy but it is here for you like a comfy sweater or a nice warm hug from your mum when you finally come in from playing in the cold.

And like any relationship its up to you to make it work, either that or leave, make a fresh start and never look back, not even for the sake of the children and don't come a visiting every time you feel a little low and need a pick me up or a kind word because once you've broken up with us I don't think we could take it...

So just come here and give us a kiss - I've put your slippers on the radiator and your dinners in the oven.

And I'm always here for you because I love you all.

[ 25.11.2004, 05:46: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uber Trick:
quote:
Originally posted by The Truth:
I think the style that is obviously missing from the boards is that of a middle aged woman pretending that they're still 21, and trying to emulate the style of their sister and failing to do it well at all.

I think the Truth is [...] b) a middle aged woman who tries to copy the style of her 21 year old younger sister, but fails.
In my innocence I actually read The Truth's post in this way myself. I thought The Truth was a newbie who was describing herself and offering to fill the gaping hole made by this missing style of poster.

I imagine the middle-aged, but conscientiously hip, Truth reading through subsequent posts and going, What are those wicked dudes rapping about in that there 'hood, m9? [Confused] I think I need a nice cup of tea with a drop of gin.

On another note... I've joined other boards around the WobWib, mainly music or cycling related, and been pleased to find myself amongst interesting people posting excellent and informed comment, only to find oldbies posting huffy comments about how the place isn't like it used to be.

Things do go stale with familiarity, but remain fresh to newcomers. This is why there are so many revivals of fashion and music amongst the young - because it's the first time they've heard that music or worn those clothes and it seems cool and new to them, while those who lived through it all before just go, Oh Jesus H. God, they've decided to dig up the stinking corpse of the 80s and wave it around again. For example. And then you get called a sad old git.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
I thought The Truth was a newbie who was describing herself and offering to fill the gaping hole made by this missing style of poster.

I really wish that this was the case, and that the whole board had accidentally insulted Uber and Lungdung by assuming The Truth was talking about them. That would be really funny.
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as Oscar Wilde said: The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

I honestly don't give a fuck, it's just a faceless no-one posting words on the internet. At this stage anyway.

--------------------
uberwench

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the bit when Paranoid Cat said something.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like the Truth to tell me the Truth about myself, and see if I agree with it.

--------------------
member #28

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you heartless bastards just ignored Darryn's declaration of love for us all, Darryn despite all the bitching I imagine that pretty much everyone here would agree that TMO has made the last few years far more enjoyable than they would have been otherwise, I mean christ if it wasn't for your hard work in setting up and maintaining this place I might have actually had to become..a productive staff member, it doesn't bear thinking about.

I personally think its wrong to say that the quality isn't there any more, there are still plenty of posters here who can write very well indeed when they put their mind to it, I think the problem is largely a lack of inspiration. I know that the reason I haven't started a thread since I don't know when, is because every time I try to come up with an idea that hasn't been done I draw a blank, it feels like whatever idea I can come up with someone has already done it. The thing which I think is easy to forget, is that although most ideas have probably been done in the past, many of the people posting now wouldn's have been here then. Maybe we should be less afraid to revive ideas which have been done in the past, though obviously it would require a tacit understanding that no amount of 'it was better the last time we did it' would be allowed, as negativity like that is what really threatens the creation of quality threads on this board, negativity and a maudlin pre-occupation with what threads were like back then, when we should be focussing on how we can contribute something meaningful to threads now.

And no the irony of me saying that when these days I probably contribute less than any other person on this board hasn't escaped me, but I do stand by the points above..

kovacs

the glory days!

-

--------------------
member #28

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
what we need is Turtle back... Cuz, she fancied me and... That's always a good thing.

To all you other whingers... The boards 'died' when you all started chating on Handbag... That cesspool of animated fairies and glittering calligraphy has sucked the marrow out of you and you are now as inane as HappyBunny32!

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Dr. Benway

look at how many active topics there are! My Goodness.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
Christe, did I really manage somehow to start an 80-poster? Blimey, how the mighty are fallen etc.,

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Dr. Benway

Can you remember what that one was about, h1ppy?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Not. A. Clue.

--------------------

Dr. Benway

Have you ever had any joy from cross posting?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Sounds kinky. Combative rodding. Hmm.

--------------------

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff Kovacs. I had long forgotten about "The Ivory Tower", a username I shared with the infamous Jones. Do you have a link to that page, mon ami?

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
I think, in 'Cross Posting Joy', everyone just tried to post posts in rapid succession, with the aim being to post stuff at the same time. Ah, glory days, eh?
Dr. Benway

Exactly. Now that's quality.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

hey, a dp! Haven't done one of them for ages.

[ 25.11.2004, 09:48: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Neurotic Cat
My fortune cookie's empty...
That's also the title of my autobiography.
 - posted      Profile for Neurotic Cat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by Dr Benway: I liked the bit when Paranoid Cat said something.
[BLUSH]Awww gee shucks[/BLUSH]

Apologies I been working!

I'd love to contribute more to the thread but the good ol' days I dont feel qualified to talk about with any authority having only lurked!

Further to Psychics post - Are there any threads which could easily be revived. Things which can be brought up to date and maybe newly contributed to by us newbie scum? Any old favourites that could still work with fresh input?

[ 25.11.2004, 09:54: Message edited by: Neurotic Cat ]

--------------------
You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats

Dr. Benway

neurotic cat, sorry.

Why not start a thread? What's the worst THAT could happen?*

*Nobody posts on it, ever.

[ 25.11.2004, 10:02: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice grooming db.
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
I'm a pre-novemberist lurker, december 8th member

Christ, I lied, I found Seethru's old board:

quote:

Date Registered: 05 November 2000

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
hey, a dp! Haven't done one of them for ages.

Oh - I thought that was a clever joke. In that you were cross-posting with yourself, in reference to the cross posting thread...see?...no?...I laughed...
turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
the glory days!

Yawn...

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

not...
I think he was being sarcastic.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice grooming.
Dr. Benway

Jonesy and I know all about grooming. We've been burned before.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Nice grooming.

Who was grooming who exactly?

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

not...
I never groomed you.

You wanted me to groom you.

Both of you, you both wanted it you little sluts.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Enough grooming.

[ 25.11.2004, 11:03: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Dr. Benway

When I say that Jonesy and I know all about it, I don't mean that we try and pick up children on the internet.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

not...
lol
kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Samuelnorton:
Good stuff Kovacs. I had long forgotten about "The Ivory Tower", a username I shared with the infamous Jones. Do you have a link to that page, mon ami?

Sorry mein Freund! It was just a screen grab -- one I use in a class on "overflow" and "convergence".

No, "glory days" was not meant as sincere praise.

--------------------
member #28

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+