Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Happy St George's Day! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Happy St George's Day!
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone indulging in some misplaced patriotism by celebrating the life of a Greek-speaking, half Israeli Turk who served in the Roman army and never actually set foot in Engerrrland?

Poster fist: No

[ 23.04.2008, 05:39: Message edited by: Ringo ]

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's exactly this kind of racism that gives St Paddy's day and Saint Andrew's day a bad name!

Shame on you Ringo for even bringing it up!

(and no, I was supposed to go up to Bedford for a piss up but I'm going to King Tut tomorrow with the little'uns and figured since I spent £60 to see a couple thousand year old dead guy, I should be sober for it.)

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all just a PR stunt dreamt up by manufacturers left with a surfeit of plastic hats, red and white face paint and George's Cross undercrackers after England failed to reach any footballing tournament this year.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Catalonia, where George is also the patron saint, people celebrate by people giving their loved one a book (any book) as a gift.

Which of course is just a cynical PR stunt dreamt up by bookshops with a surfeit of books, but still, nice.

OOh it's even nicier than I'd remembered:

quote:
In Catalonia St. George's day coincides with the Fair of the Book and the Rose. On this day every man offers a rose to his loved one (wife or fiancée), and in return she gives him a book. The book is in memory of Cervantes. This custom was started in 1926, to commemorate Cervantes death (authour of "Don Quiote")
And Shakespeare.

[ 23.04.2008, 07:38: Message edited by: mart ]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit of a coincidence that, isn't it? National literary heroes being born on their Saint's day.

--------------------
sweet

mart
There's a lot of crazy freaky shit in this world, mate. You have to be ready for it.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone gave me a book the other day. It was by Iris Murdoch, though, so it is sat on the dining room table. Looking at me malevolently.

Am I supposed to care about St. George? I have ordered sunglasses and I care more about them.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not really interested in St. George's day. It's pretty meaningless. But, it does raise the question what do you think of when you think of England? Do you lapse into the nostalgic conservatism of warm beer and cricket? A single football victory, forty years ago? The bloody military peversions of past English kings? The political and cultural features of Elizabethan London? The occupation of Wales, Scotland and Ireland?

When I think of England, I suppose the first thoughts relate to a kind of 'common sense decency', but I'm aware that this is because I've been affected by the way that the white English believe everybody to be slightly backwards apart from themselves. "common sense decency" doesn't even mean anything, but it's there, a phrase, that's been drummed into me. "Fair play" and eccentricity are also in there somewhere as a result of the same thing.... received opinions from politicians and newspaper editors of the past. Before mass media, would a unified "Englishness" even exist? What is the history of the national identity? Or do we latch onto whatever somehow speaks to us the most - Haywain or Coal mine, spitfire or steed.

Another thing would be, how much of our personal identity would we lend to being English? There's a portrayal that our European brethren spend all their time waving flags and eating the national dish, but is anybody here actually proud of being 'English', or of 'England'? Would we now accept that we're British, or is that just a backdoor way of erasing the identities of the non-English citizens of the Kingdom?

Christ knows.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
But, it does raise the question what do you think of when you think of England?

Bad teeth? Pale-skinned folk milling about whining about the weather? Football hooligans?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:

Bad teeth? Pale-skinned folk milling about whining about the weather? Football hooligans?
There aren't any pale-skinned people in England these days, thanks to the wonders of the tanning salon. One of the first policies introduced by current Prime Minister, Golden Brown was a forced hour per day on a sunbed for every British citizen.

Also, our teeth are steadily improving thanks to the influx of talented Polish dentists, and dental polish.

Louche
Wearing sunglasses isn't very English.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummers with meringues.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Myra Hindley on a space hopper.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Giant Haystacks at the poll tax riots.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

A Mini full of lemon curd.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Foetal alcohol syndrome.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

T.Rex

(Awfully sorry.)

[ 23.04.2008, 11:19: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Foetal alcohol syndrome.

My mate who teaches can spot this in teenagers at twenty paces. A not entirely useful, but simultaneously amusing skill.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
quote:
Foetal alcohol syndrome.

My mate who teaches can spot this in teenagers at twenty paces. A not entirely useful, but simultaneously amusing skill.
It's the new look. All your features jostling for position in the middle of your face, a weak chin and a thin neck.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
By 2020, most of the Northern English will look like this, I suspect. Unless they're all wiped out by Peak Oil because they just fade away when the booze supply runs out.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:

This is clever, because you've thought about the most nauseatingly boring and uninspired critiques of the English people from the viewpoint of an American, and reproduced them here for the 100th time. Is this all part of a grander piece of online performance art about the weakness of the American imagination, or are you trying to hypnotise us into submission by repeating this exhausted nonsense over and over again?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Black Mask

Quality Street

--------------------
sweet

Dr. Benway

Anyway, I'm not English so I'm exempt from all this.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Black Mask

Xmas (spelt X-M-A-S)

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Chinese DVD-hawkers

--------------------
sweet

Dr. Benway

also, would most people place their regional identity above their national one in terms of importance to their how they would define themselves?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Black Mask

Yes.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
also, would most people place their regional identity above their national one in terms of importance to their how they would define themselves?

Outside London you mean?
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Outside London you mean?

What do you mean 'Outside London'?

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
What do you mean 'Outside London'?

You know - Outside London. It's that place where Heston Blumenthal runs a restaurant.
Dr. Benway

perhaps it's time that we ditched this London / Not London nonsense, and allowed the rest of the UK to become the thirty third national borough.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think of the British as being uppity and unemotional. There are plenty of other stereotypes to draw on outside of pale skin and bad teeth (though I have heard the same American stereotypes rehashed here time and again).

I think there is an inverse correlation between national identity and national vanity. I don't feel that Americans have much of a national identity, because we don't look too far outside of our borders in day-to-day life...and the idea is why should we. I'm guessing the English have a similar vanity, though certainly not to the same extreme.

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is clever, because you've thought about the most nauseatingly boring and uninspired critiques of the English people from the viewpoint of an American, and reproduced them here for the 100th time. Is this all part of a grander piece of online performance art about the weakness of the American imagination, or are you trying to hypnotise us into submission by repeating this exhausted nonsense over and over again?

The second one.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess most Americans have trouble with the whole UK / Great Britain / England thing.
mart
Most people from other countries get it mixed up or wrong, not just Americans. It is quite complicated.

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+