Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 28)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorn's probably nailed it right there. Have you started Transmet, yet, Thorn? I was reading Global Frequency on the train this mo0rning and thought of you. I bet that warms you up inside, doesn't it?
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I spent an extremely pleasant chunk of Sunday afternoon, sitting on the sofa in my den reading Transmetropolitan, which I really enjoyed. It's a great conceit - that Hunter S Thompson in the future thing. I loved it, actually. I've been putting the rest in my Amazon's bucket, ready for payday.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenneth Branagh is an excellent actor: I loved his iago. Not however someone whose willy I feel interested in. But I larfed nonetheless at the pun.

Thanks for mentioning two other books I can buy. Never heard of them but happy to broaden my outlook.

Last night, having mislaid Gilead somewhere, I started Francis Wheen's How Mumbo Jumbo conquered the world. I am really enjoying it. The man argues well. I like a skillful, well put together argument and he is rather entertaining. Not quite, as Paxman on the cover puts it: 'hilarious', but perhaps Paxman had a sheltered life.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
Yes, I spent an extremely pleasant chunk of Sunday afternoon, sitting on the sofa in my den reading Transmetropolitan, which I really enjoyed. It's a great conceit - that Hunter S Thompson in the future thing. I loved it, actually. I've been putting the rest in my Amazon's bucket, ready for payday.

Oh, I am glad you like. I got the first four for my birthday the other year and read them back to back in desperate page twitching fashion in the sunshine. Transmet in the sunshine was excellent. I'm quite in love with Spider Jerusalem. And to make this post slightly more than just a Transmet love-in, Global Frequency is rather good as well, though I am trying to work out whether Stephen King nicked the idea for Cell from Warren Ellis or vice versa. My money is on Warren Ellis coming up with it first.
sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they horror? I like Sci-fi but not horror.

ETA Right. A graphic novel series.

[ 13.02.2007, 07:24: Message edited by: sam ]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an opinion but I'd like to know if it is correct or not. Could Thorn or Benway please tell me whether Pi is a good film or not?
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what they think but I thought the first 3/4 were good, interesting, novel, but the ending sucked ass.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed Pi, but I watched it a long time ago. It's a good idea with a fairly unique execution. The style sometimes overpowers the substance, but it doesn't ruin the experience.

Last night I watched Videodrome again. That damn film. I love it so, but I still don't really understand it.

[ 15.02.2007, 05:12: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
I enjoyed Pi, but I watched it a long time ago. It's a good idea with a fairly unique execution. The style sometimes overpowers the substance, but it doesn't ruin the experience.

Ok, I'm glad we agree. It came up because I was having a conversation about 'best films ever' and a friend said Cube, and I said no, if you want a film which is a bit unusual but very very good, then Pi is what you're after. I like the idea of repeating themes and sequences, each time showing slight progression from the last, running in tandem with the progression of the main character towards the goal. The ending was either totally weak, or totally great, depending on how you look at it, really.

Great soundtrack too, that jungle/drum and bass track that plays throughout is absolutely supoib.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warren Ellis is on fire at the moment. I just read the TPB of Desolation Jones last week, fantastic. And his monthlies, Nextwave (final issue this month), New Universal and Thunderbolts have all been pleasing and intriguing. Ooh, there was another Fell last week, as well.

Good old Warren.

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pi's alright.

Videodrome, it's about Big Brother series 7 isn't it?

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Warren Ellis is on fire at the moment. I just read the TPB of Desolation Jones last week, fantastic. And his monthlies, Nextwave (final issue this month), New Universal and Thunderbolts have all been pleasing and intriguing. Ooh, there was another Fell last week, as well.

Good old Warren.

I really liked Desloution Jones - is was one of the last comic's that I collected before I chucked it all in because they were mostly turning to rubbish.

I gave my nephew my collection of 100 Bullet's he better appreciate it, the little shit.

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
before I chucked it all in because they were mostly turning to rubbish.

Yeah, I only buy about half as many comics now as I did a year or two ago. Most of the comics i do buy are short runs or independents. I find I'm holding out for the paperbacks instead. The 'events' are getting ridiculous. House of M was a bit of a sprawl but Civil War is just ludicrous. I couldn't be fucked with Infinite Crisis and that seemed to segue straight into 52... so the whole DC thing has just passed me by. Still, Bruce Wayne will probably wake up covered in sweat in six months and the whole thing will have been a dream.

[ 15.02.2007, 05:39: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
DC has turned to shit - the Infinite Crisis and ID Crisis' were just awful, fanboy nonsense - kill of a few characters that never sell well and who we don't really have the rights to or something, and then wrap it all up in gosh aren't bad people bad they commit rape and stuff crap - I thought it might turn out okay when the implication was that the grim and gritty crap of the 90's was part of some temporal glitch that caused heroes to go mad and kill and stuff, but it bottled it at the last minute and made it about punching people, punching reality, punching space time etc etc

I really like Warren Ellis - Barbelith (which does most of my comic book reading nowdays) seems to not like him much, but it's such a Grant Morrison love in over there, that anyone else pails in comparison it seems.

Planetary remains one of my favourite series ever.

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I abandoned Barbelith as a source for recommendations when someone said 100 Bullets was one dimensional in a way that Sin City isn't. It was at that point I realised they were reading comics from bizarro wrong-world where everything is entirely backward to the way it is here.

[ 15.02.2007, 05:43: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------

Black Mask

Planetary rocks! What's happening with the culmination, though? There seems to be an issue released every six months or so. (This is another title I'm holding out for the paperback of.)

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
someone said 100 Bullets was one dimensional in a way that Sin City isn't.

That's just... PAH!

The finale is about thirty issues off now (what's it up to now? Late sixties? Mid seventies?) Whenever I get my hands on a new TPB of 100 Bullets I'm just totally hooked. One dimensional? In comparison to fucking Miller?!

The TPB that has me aching is still Walking Dead.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Ha! I just got a parcel from Amazon! Hellboy Vol.s 1-3 and The Goon Vol.s 1 & 2!

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Plus! It's Thursday!

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
That's just... PAH!

The finale is about thirty issues off now (what's it up to now? Late sixties? Mid seventies?) Whenever I get my hands on a new TPB of 100 Bullets I'm just totally hooked. One dimensional? In comparison to fucking Miller?!

Book 10 (called Decalogue or Decay or something) that just came out takes it up to number 75 or 76, so yeah - about 25 issues to go. I just wish they'd produce them faster. I can't wait another two frickin' years to find out how it ends. It's driving me nuts. I can't wait to sit down and read them all in one session.

--------------------

Black Mask

I'm still reading The Onion which occasionally manages to pull one out of the hat.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a good start, Newsbiscuit has been a bit hit and miss recently. *This is a good one though.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a fit of 80s madness, I watched Friday 13th IV and Friday 13th V last night. Both were shit, but V is way shitter than IV. Amazingly, I hadn't seen either before.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
IV and V are bad - I quite liked VI and VII - if they are the ones that I remember them as (brought back by lightening strike?) it goes shit again for Takes Manhattan (VIII) except for the black man punching him a lot - the rest are rubbish.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I watched Hot Fuzz last night. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead. Humour felt broader, characters were more cartoonish, plot was laboured and inconsequential, and there were too many jump cuts. I nearly laughed twice, which isn't bad I suppose. Unlike Shaun, I wouldn't really want to watch it again.

[ 23.02.2007, 05:21: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Also watched the Dario Argento 'Masters of Horror', which featured a man literally chopping his face off by headbutting a man-trap style animal trap. And it had loads of tits, lezzing up, and Meatloaf in the main role. Good old Dario. I only wish that Bravo showed the series a bit earlier in the evening.
Ringo

I bought Pi in the end. It's as good as I remembered. Brilliant film.

Worst review ever.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dario Argento's Dèmoni and Dèmoni 2 are a couple of my most vivid movie memories.. I'll have to watch them again and see how they've held up.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
I'll have to watch them again and see how they've held up.

Can't be that vivid, then, ey?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
watched Friday 13th VI on Friday night, and it's bad. Really dull, stupid and flat. It crawls from one lacklustre death scene to the next one, held together by a tedious device where the guy trying to warn everybody about Jason is being hunted by the cops for committing the murders. It's not got any sleaze or edge or quirkiness. At least with V (which was also really shit), it had this kind of sweaty, grimy feel to it, even if nothing happened. VI feels like it was made for TV, and it's really coy about the violence. In fact, there isn't really any violence, just cut-aways and severed heads rolling around. Awful. Don't bother. I've only got VII and III left now until I've seen them all, but I don't know if I can put myself through it any longer.

[ 26.02.2007, 06:50: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Nathan Bleak
Jason X is pretty good - in many ways it's the best in the series. Got some tits in it, some good deaths (girl gets face dunked in liquid nitrogen, frozen, then smashed off), some really funny moments.

Part VIII is best for unintentional laughs, including the most ridiculous shooting-up-heroin scene in cinema history, even stupider than the bit in Wild Geese where Roger Moore makes a drug dealer eat two kilos of heroin by threatening to shoot him.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
VIII has got Kelly Hu in it. She looks good.

[ 26.02.2007, 07:17: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Nathan Bleak
Kelly Who? lol.

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Dario Argento's Dèmoni and Dèmoni 2 are a couple of my most vivid movie memories.. I'll have to watch them again and see how they've held up.

Are they the one's set in the cinema and the tower block - I loved those when I was younger.

Hot Fuzz - regressive, too much camera shit, but, yeah two very funny moments, one very creep up funny moment (I laughed thinking about it later than actually while there).

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I went to the cinema to watch Freddy Vs. Jason. That was whack.

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+