Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 25)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
that sounded like a sleazy pick up line, but it wasn't.

That's a pity. I've a soft spot for you, even though renaming yourself bignuts is one of the slightly disturbing things I was on about.

I thought my luck was in there.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
[QUOTE]It's the one I've never been able to read because the only decent line was 'cancer ripped through her like it was late for an important meeting with lots of other terminal diseases'.

If that's the best line it would suggest the rest of the book is really dire. It reads like he got to the end of the simile and ran out of ideas? I mean, "lots of other terminal diseases". What's that about? It neither comments upon cancer as a disease, nor the speed at which it works.

I am going to read it anyway. Conflicting reviews aside, I like Misc's avatar.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
m-maybe it was a sleazy p-pick up line.

[ 14.12.2006, 07:51: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
Conflicting reviews aside, I like Misc's avatar.

This comment makes me like sam too. [Big Grin]
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by missgolightly:
quote:
Conflicting reviews aside, I like Misc's avatar.

This comment makes me like sam too. [Big Grin]
Racist! [Mad]
missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah I just liked the fact that she went from intellegent book reviews to deciding something based on an avatar in about a split second lol.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was aware quite early on that tmo had the ability to broaden my outlook in slightly disturbing ways...
You should check out the fettish thread.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder what the adjective "fettish" could describe? my mind's gone off on a weird tangent.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
quote:
I was aware quite early on that tmo had the ability to broaden my outlook in slightly disturbing ways...
You should check out the fettish thread.
They say the imagination's a powerful tool but if its a competition between tmo's imagination and mine, that's unlikely to be true, so I'm not risking it. I had a sheltered upbringing. Mum always told me sex was dirty.

Thank heavens she was right.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
i wonder what the adjective "fettish" could describe?

-

[ 14.12.2006, 09:14: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that guy's pose is supposed to look "hand on gun bounty hunter for hire aren't I cool and dangerous", but to me it looks a bit more "I'm a little teapot..."

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah if you fell down a massive hole in the sand, that could be called a 'fettish' thing to do.

Sorry to everybody who hasn't yet seen Return of the Jedi.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Maori 'e' is pronounced like a soft 'u', as in 'much', and 'tt' (double t) is pronounced like a hard 'k', as in 'take'.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah if you fell down a massive hole in the sand, that could be called a 'fettish' thing to do.

Do you contribute to *Urban Dictionary, BigNuts?
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Or simply: Appearing really hard, but going out like a punk assed bee-atch? Thus applying to both Jango and Bobba.

[ 14.12.2006, 10:36: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
I know that guy's pose is supposed to look "hand on gun bounty hunter for hire aren't I cool and dangerous", but to me it looks a bit more "I'm a little teapot..."

LOL

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

MiscellaneousFiles

[SW Pedant]
Boba
[/SW Pedant]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I saw Gladiator, and thought it was okay. My brother ruined it quite early on by announcing that *SPOILER ALERT* they both die in the end. I also saw The Island and thought it was not so good. I got bored during the 20th chase sequence and went to the kitchen to pick at some mince pies. The chick was pretty fit in that though. I saw Broken Flowers, and thought it was pretty good in a typically jarmusch kind of way. Understated and thought provoking. I watched Silent Hill again but that was ruined by my dad constantly asking me what was going on, and then telling everybody what he thought was going on, what would happen later on in the story, and how stupid all the characters were anyway for going there in the first place. I also rewatched Train Spotting and City of God. The former seems like a much smaller and simpler experience than it did way back in the nineties. The latter is just awesome.

I also watched a massive amount of Murder, She Wrote.

I already said I read that Nico book, which was very good. James Young - Songs they never play on the radio. It creates a yearning for adventure, and makes settling for the reality of everyday working life seem like a chump's game.

If you've been getting strung out with anticipation over what book I'm reading next, then I can reveal that today I put the World Rock Paper Scissors Society book in my bag, and started on it this morning. I bought it off amazon when I was pissed up. I reckon it'll be like any other internet humour book. Alright in short doses.

I also read a book called You'll never make love in this town again which was a load of 'confessional' tales from hookers in Hollywood. It basically made it clear that all hollywood actors like both pissing on and being pissed on by hookers. This was further research on my Don Simpson tip. There was one story about a chick who got in the shower with Jack Nicholson and without even needing him to ask, she just got on the floor and opened her mouth, and he 'instinctively knew what to do'. That scene reminded me slightly of the Batailles book that I've been going on about - Story of the Eye. I was able to put my knowledge of Don Simpson to use during a drunken argument with my brother, who revealed that Top Gun was the reason he wanted to join the Navy. I told him it was complete fantasy, and he reacted badly. My justification for shooting down his dreams was that I'd "read it in a book". We didn't really speak after that argument, apart from christmas dinner, which he spent taking the piss out of me for refering to myself as Londoner.

A friend picked up another book by Patrick Hamilton, he of Hangover Square fame. I'm hoping to get that off him soon. This is the same friend that gave me the k-foundation book. He's basically better than me in every way.

I also watched the Queen's speech. My dad insisted we all watch it, just so he could take the piss out of her voice and tell us that she needed a bullet in the head.

[ 03.01.2007, 11:36: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sat through the new Mike Judge project "Idiocracy" at the weekend, I’m not sure what to make of it really, has anyone else seen it ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Over Christmas I watched "Rocky Balboa" and TBH I fucking loved it, I found myself chanting along with the crowd.

“Rocky, Rocky, Rocky, Rocky, Rocky, Rocky”

OK, so Stallone looks like he’s melting and you know the story before it starts and the acting isn’t great, but I love Rocky films and this one is a cracker.

Yesterday I half watched "The USA vs. John Lennon" but I kept falling asleep…

And besides, all these documentaries about Lennon end the same…

[ 03.01.2007, 09:29: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Over Christmas I watched "Rocky Balboa" and TBH I fucking loved it, I found myself chanting along with the crowd.

You're not the first person who has given this film good reviews. Where would you rank it amonth the rest of the films in the Rocky series? Surely it can't be as good as the first one?

[ 03.01.2007, 09:58: Message edited by: ralph ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Instead of watching Rocky, why not listen to DVDA's track Now you're a man? The only thing better than that tune is the Rocky with Dolph Lundgren, where Rocky ends the cold war via the magic of punching.

quote:
Rocky IV has some of the best training montages ever filmed

(from imdb)

[ 03.01.2007, 10:05: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:

You're not the first person who has given this film good reviews. Where would you rank it amonth the rest of the films in the Rocky series? Surely it can't be as good as the first one?
It's very similar to the first one, I love the first Rocky film, and this isn't as good as one, or probably even two, but I thought it better than 3 and way better than 4 and 5 (Though 4 has fantastic kitch value)

I think if you could ignore 4 and 5 and just assume that he'd not made them and that you only have Rocky 1 - 3 to line up, it's 1, 2, 6, 3.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

sam
TMO Member
I have mostly been reading books recommended, so I read Dr Mukti but might have already said that, and Grisham's The Rainmaker and Bennett's Untold Stories. Bennet is a 'National Treasure', but I am not sure why. I have tons of books on order from play.com and am looking forward to them arriving. I have downloaded loads of stuff from the Internet onto my recently acquired second-hand i-mate and am looking forward to browsing through it whilst commuting next week. I work in two different places which is why I keep disappearing as I don't have proper computer access. Most of the stuff I got is essays and articles about a variety of subjects that I come across whilst browsing. I am currently reading The Poisonwood Bible for my book club but very slowly. I read most when working away because of commuting.

Over Xmas the ma-in-law insisted I read Paxman's book about the English which was vaguely irritating and curiously lifeless. I pretended to read it most of the time, so I didn't finish it. You could see where he was trying to be funny, but you weren't actually laughing. She also gave me Little Lord Faulteroy to read, a copy of which she had found in a 2nd hand bookshop, but that was one step too far. She doesn't read herself, just collects the damn books, and she has this weird notion that people who do read a lot will read anything.

I forgot to watch much TV over Xmas, but my partner did bring home the DVD of the last King Kong or whatever its called. I laughed through most of it, but for all the wrong reasons. Was it Disney? It seemed very Disney. I watched Cars again because my nephew insisted, in between kicking me to death on Christmas Day. Coincidentally, I am buying the entire set of Star Wars this weekend and am going to watch it all the way through over the next couple of weeks.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I have mostly been reading Lindsey Davies' Marcus Didius Falco books over the past couple of weeks.

I've also been watching lots and lots and lots of Battlestar Galactica episodes. I bought the miniseries probably about a month ago, immediately purchased and watched over the space of maybe a couple of weeks the series 1 DVDs, put series 2 on my Christmas list but didn't get it, ordered it from eBay last Tuesday, it turned up on Friday and I've watched 16 of the 20 episodes over the past few days. I really need to get out more.

I'm saving the last 4 episodes for the weekend, and woot! series 3 is starting on Sky One next Tuesday! That'll cut my addiction down to a manageable hour a week - or 40 minutes when zapping through adverts on Sky+.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Over Xmas the ma-in-law insisted I read Paxman's book about the English which was vaguely irritating and curiously lifeless. I pretended to read it most of the time, so I didn't finish it. You could see where he was trying to be funny, but you weren't actually laughing.

There's something about sam's writing here which is so honest and unpretentious that you could imagine Paxman withering the instant he read it. Like, he would be able to stomach a sneering, smug review in the Guardian, but that this would leave him feeling a bit, well, gutted. Yes Jeremy, I could see what you were trying to do... but... look, I don't want to be nasty... maybe it just wasn't for me?

Any. Way. Summing up films and books may be a bit lame for a 10,000th post but I'll see what I can muster.

I started reading The Plot Against America which is basically a Jew whining about a bunch of stuff that never even happened. It sort of reminds me of those moments where you go "I bet they lose it in the post. I bet they do... I bet...! Oh it's arrived." and feel silly for getting yourself worked up. The book's about what would have happened if anti-semite pilot Lindbergh had become president instead of Roosevelt. Then there's 500 pages of stuff about how shit Roth's childhood would have been, if this thing that didn't happen had happened. The book's got a very austere, utterly confident and convincing style to it, as befits one of the West's great living writers. I re-read the first three chapters of my own current project, and my work seemed utterly utterly feeble and amateurish in comparison, which only made me dislike The Plot Against America even more.

Also over the holiday season I watched The Squid and the Whale which was so far beyond depressing it almost came out the otherside, with a few moments being so breathtakingly black-hearted they generated a kind of stunned half-lol at the bleakness of it all. Worst of all was Jeff Daniel's character - an unattractive, utterly pompous twat who approaches every conversation as an opportunity to fling his (lacking) intellectual weight around, relentless pummels people with his opinions on books and films and sneers at anyone who doesn't agree with him, and spends the rest of his time whining about the fact that he can't get his book published while comparing himself to far superior writers and leering after 20 year old students and bullying them into sucking his cock. Needless to say, I found him impossible to identify with.

The film is billed as a 'hilarious' comedy, but really it's too realistically bleak to actually be 'hilarious', and it reminded me of a lot of kids I knew at school who pretty much fell apart because of their parents selfish actions. A good movie, but horribly grim.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever finish The Sandman, Thorn?

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah. Ages ago. I thought it was OK. It seemed a bit generic-mind-of-a-serial-killer-novel, a bit too similar to loads of other books I'd read. But you know; it was crisply written, and had one really funny set piece that still makes me chuckle when I think about it: the bit where the guests keep turning up for the dinner party. But mostly it made me think of a fairly talented teenager trying to do 'dark'.
Black Mask

Bugger. I've just re-ordered it on Amazon.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My proletarian taste in film can be exeplified by the fact that over the Christmas period I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Jurassic Park trilogy. I particularly enjoyed the third one, as it had the hilarious mobile-phone-in-dinosaur scene and also because I was skiving off from a family party, so the guilty pleasure of scarfing chocolates on the sofa when I could have been listening in enforced silence to the Daily Mail being regurgitated was immense.

I also adored King Kong, which was dire as all hell, but in an entirely amusing way. And I am not the sort of person who can resist a giant monkey fighting a dinosaur. In fact, all films should contains scenes of giant monkeys fighting dinosaurs. And the love affair between a blonde thing and aforementioned giant monkey was most affecting.

Apart from that, my telly universally showed Lego Star Wars. I read nothing of note, though I went on several hearty walks, none of which are particularly worthy of review in this thread.

Black Mask

quote:
I went on several hearty walks, none of which are particularly worthy of review in this thread.

I think we need a Walk thread in Life.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

quote:
I also adored King Kong, which was dire as all hell, but in an entirely amusing way. And I am not the sort of person who can resist a giant monkey fighting a dinosaur. In fact, all films should contains scenes of giant monkeys fighting dinosaurs. And the love affair between a blonde thing and aforementioned giant monkey was most affecting.

A giant ape fighting a dinosaur, and the love affair between the blonde and the ape are - surely - the mainstays of King Kong. If one is great and the other affecting how can you think the film is 'dire as all hell'? If it gets the two key elements exactly right then... oh I don't know. Maybe it makes Louche feel smart to make that qualification before she expresses her opinion and maybe I shouldn't argue with that. But it just sounds a bit like "Oh, of course, I know that romantic comedy was dire as all hell... but the comedy part was hilarious and the romance was really moving."

Ah well. Is anyone else looking forward to Apocalypto? I've been reading the reviews and it looks magnificent. Even the bad reviews are getting me excited, as they tend to focus on the facts it's either 'too gory', or 'too tense', which is incredibly promising.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I don't think I'll see Apocalypto.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not? You'll watch countless episodes of Murder She Wrote but not that?
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quelle concidence, Thorn. I watched the Squid and the Whale too. And fark me. It was so squirm-inducing, it was almost impossible to watch. The way Jeff Beard moulded his son into his own two-dimensional image was just ghastly.

SatW was just one of a trio of jolly Christmas DVDs R bought for the festive season. The second was The Proposition, which was a laugh a minute, especially at the end. By the time the third DVD - Three Burials - was cued up I went out and lay in a gutter as light relief.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that King Kong was universally panned for appalling script, badly set up plot pieces, some spesh effects that looked like they'd been done in the 1980s and some genuinely laugh out loud slow motion emotional moment stuff, I didn't really think it worth mentioning these. I was operating from the principle that,like, everyone had seen it and knew that, and that I was probably odd for enjoying it.

Also: fuck off Thorn.

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+