Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 47)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the economist you say.
right i'll have a look at that.

i'm applying for bottom of the ladder assistant editor jobs in scientific journals. i can do science. english i have problems with.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was there some kind of terrible lab accident in Nashville that means you can never go near a bunsen burner again? If there was an outbreak in the UK and you were the only person available, and a couple of people come from the army to get your assistance, would you be all like "I was a scientist...once...but now... I'm sorry gentlemen, I can't help you. You'll have to leave..." "but wait - doc - you're our only hope!" "son... I haven't put on a lab coat in fifteen years... Not after that day... That terrible day... No, I'm sorry. I can't help you"

[ 31.05.2007, 07:00: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, for what it's worth, if you frequent your local library see what books they have in the reference section; they might have one or two in there to get you started - if only by getting irate at how shit they are and thinking "I could do better than this!" That's always a good place to be.
doc d
late to the party
jbn: kind of. i ran out of money. realized i wasn't cut out for that lark. didn't like my prospects. did another job in nashville for a bit. it wasn't great.
decided to come home. in a nut shell.

mart: will do.
i got back from an interview yesterday and i wasn't too impressed with my scores so i thought i should do something to try and improve my abilities.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
"I was a scientist...once...but now... "

Doc D: Dad, I don't think I want to do science any more

Dad: That's nice

doc d
late to the party
man, i wish it went like that.

me: dad, i don't want to do science anymore. i want to do something that makes me happy. like have my own business, maybe a record store.

dad: what a waste.

mart
What about some kind of online record store, or an internet radio station or something, that connects everyone up in a really clever way. That would be good.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or a van with some usb ports on it so you can download mp3s.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
"Damien's Dash"

[ 31.05.2007, 07:36: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

doc d
late to the party
damian
not
damien

doc d
late to the party
the record store thing is just a dream man. just a dream.
meanwhile in the real world i'm contemplating admin as a way of life for the next couple of months....

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
youre right to do so. admin is a way of life.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its also, almost an anagram of 'damian'. i think i just made that decision for you, huh.

--------------------

doc d
late to the party
[Frown]
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we've got an admin/production job going at our place. Sadly, the pay is derisory, it's in a dingy basement in Battersea and the carpet hasn't been hoovered since February. Otherwise, dream job. If you know about print production and can use InDesign.
doc d
late to the party
[Frown]
dance margarita
TMO Member
dont be sad damo. im not sure that my amazing new anagram- based careers advice service is really a goer. after all, admin is also almost an anagram of 'damien', which- as you have emphtically pointed out- is not your name. and 'damien' is not an anagram of 'antichrist'.... you know, just screw that whole idea, its obviously bumwash. anyway why arent you out there farming geeks for me?

--------------------

doc d
late to the party
i'm not farming them, i'm pharming them.
get it?
get it?
eh??
eh?

oh.

eta:
natural history museum's dana centre. that's where its at.
for hott geeks.

[ 31.05.2007, 10:19: Message edited by: doc d ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
im not sure that my amazing new anagram- based careers advice service is really a goer.

Don't give up, there might be a future for you in Tarmac Drainage, or Armada Catering.

[ 31.05.2007, 10:28: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saying that, I don't much fancy a future working in Mescaline Fuel Silos...

[Frown]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw Spider-Man 3 with the Masketeers and I thought it was great. A little overlong, but exciting, coherent and (relatively) honest. The long-term characters are actually developing and the new characters were quite well fleshed out and with motivations that went beyond the standard comic-book-movie fare. It's still quite broadly drawn, obviously, a Spider-Man flick is never going to be The Magnificent Ambersons, but it was nice to see a 'kids'' adventure picture allowing its protagonists some emotional vulnerability and growth. It was a bit cornball, heavy on revenge, sick-kid, loneliness, redemption, the-whole-great-power-great-responsibility schtick, but I think it slid those elements in nicely with some excellent butt-kicking, explosions and mild peril.

I totally bought the Sandman conclusion, he didn't just walk away, he didn't even want to be there. That scene just showed that some people are schmucky and out of luck and have an unfortunate habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I liked the initial Sandman transformation, as well. Struggling with his new powers, falling to bits, trying to maintain his integrity...

I liked it. It was good.

[ 31.05.2007, 12:45: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
If you know about print production and can use InDesign.

Heh, I've learnt a lot about how InDesign doesn't work so if you're ever in a rut, Herbs.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've somehow become your personal IT assistant in two days. Would anyone like a hand at something not IT related and shit?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I totally bought the Sandman conclusion, he didn't just walk away, he didn't even want to be there. That scene just showed that some people are schmucky and out of luck and have an unfortunate habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I liked the initial Sandman transformation, as well. Struggling with his new powers, falling to bits, trying to maintain his integrity...

Yeah I'd agree completely with that, saw it at the weekend and I particularly wanted to see the end bit with Sandman just to see if what Thorn said rang true, because right from the off it seemed clear that he was acting out of desperation, and hated himself for doing what he was doing more than anything.

The only bit that bugged me was the stupid news presenter woman with her bizarrely wavering between British and American accent, along with her complete, utter, cringe inducing inability to convey any kind of emotion whatsoever.

I seem to recall criticism of the 'bad Spidey' schtick too, when it was so blatantly played for laughs I can't see how anyone could really complain. I mean the guy's an utter gimp, just because he turns bad it doesn't change the fact that he's still inherently awkward and nerdy.

A solid 7.5/10 for me.

mart
Last night I watched the BBC Three series Outlaws on DVD, and it is very, very good.

Set within the grubby, ugly world of a magistrate's court and the local nick's custody unit, there's Dunbar, the old-time cynical solicitor who takes on Gulliver, a younger, recently qualified lawyer with principles as they deal with the smackheads, thuggish youths and street whores when they get nicked. The most important thing is not to make sure they have proper legal defence, but to make sure they sign the Legal Aid form so they will get paid. It's a shitty, grimy world, and there is no let-up in the cynical roundabout of arrest, interview, charge, deals with the CPS, pissing off the police, court appearance, sentence. The script is fast and almost incomprehensible in parts, but very, very funny.

Dunbar (consoling a woman crying her eyes out): There, there. Let it all out.

Gulliver: Is she alright?

Dunbar: Just found out her husband's got a five-stretch.

Gulliver: Oh, right. Not taking it well.

Dunbar: She's been crying solidly for... (looks at watch) ...53 minutes. Another eight and I can charge her for two hours.

That sort of thing.

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can add me and Pink to the list of people who now love Heroes - we finally got around to downloading it and ended up staying up til 1.30am watching the first 5 episodes last night. I'm already totally addicted and will probably end up watching the whole season by early next week.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hulk is on tonight on ITV2. I plan to watch it to see whether Nathan is correct about it being 'one of the best' superhero films.

Maybe we could 'meet up online' after it finishes to discuss our reactions... say, 23.00 aqui?

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hulk, plays with the genres, dropping what seems to be true comic book narrative stylings into cinematic trappings - often leading to jarring editing, and line-crossing to frame shots like panels. However, these curiosos don't hide the fact that the actors are lackluster, the pacing is shoddy and the ending is just plain rotten.

Hulk Smash, grrrrr [Mad]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, best not to start watching Hulk whilst under the misguided impression that you're about to see something good. It's absolute shite. Possibly the worst comic book movie I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot. Long, dull sections where nothing happens, followed by "CGI" which is only slightly advanced from those little dots that bounce along the words of songs on karaoke screens. I could just about scrape together a good word for its stylishness, but that very quickly wears thin.
ben

In a comic-book stylee, I have split off into two personalities: one is looking forward to the opportunity to tear Thorn a new a-hole for recommending such an obvious heap of blithering toss - the other is thrilled at the prospect that only he and I can see past the surface to the neglected masterpiece that others scorn!

Who will win, wrestlemaniacs? Tune in tonite to find out!!

-

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what did you think, Ben?

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

ben

Mmmmmnngh.

Spectacularly frustrating film. Any movie that has both Sam Elliot and Jennifer Connolly in its cast ought, by right, to be one of the greatest films of all time. As it was, they pretty much kept the entire show on the road between them as the rest of the cast dissolved into a bunch of gibbering wrecks in the grip of a script that began with many promising elements but which completely lost any sense of wtf it was supposed to be about someplace about halfway in.

Gah! I mean, it could have been great the melancholy tone was entirely in keeping with the Frankenstein meets King Kong meets Jekyll/Hyde nature of the Hulk myth; the father-son conflict had terrific potential; the comic-panels storytelling was tenderly-observed and effective and at least some of the action sequences were well handled (eg. Hulk smaaash helicopters and tanks in the desert)...

BUT

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
checked out Zodiac at the cinema - a sweet movie. It's captured what I imagine sixties / seventies san francisco to look and feel like, and even though it goes on for some time (2:40), it doesn't sag. Ruffalo is fantastic as a young cop trying to follow the Zodiac trail, Gyllenhaal is okay as a concerned citizen, and Downey Jr is himself, although that slightly unhinged energy works well in his role as a journo on a downwards addiction spiral.

It was better than I thought it would be, although it was sold to me as not really being about the killings, in the same vein as Summer of Sam. Well, it is about the killings - the film is about the cops and the San Francisco Chronicle following complex leads and trying to decipher the clues left by the murderer. There are a few murder scenes, but it's really a story of the impact of the mystery on people's lives. Obsession, addiction, personal sacrifice, blah blah blah. It's not totally stereotypical, but I'm sure that Fincher enjoyed working with themes he's already proven himself with. The whodunnit aspect is kind of redundant considering it's based on a true story, but the water is frequently mudied in order to reflect the lack of clear investigative direction.

Overall, the important thing is that it's kind of light. There's humour throughout, and it's not hugely tense. It's not like Se7en, for example. It's more of a ride through the era, which looks as good and real as it could.

[ 04.06.2007, 05:15: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

MiscellaneousFiles

I watched The Alien Versus The Predator at the weekend. It was bloody brilliant! There was this one bit, right, where the predator sliced the alien's head in half with his blade! And loads of mad fucker aliens jumping about the place. And the "queen" alien was totally MASSIVE! And the predator maked his kill on his head with aliend blood (which is like acid, remember) And at the end SPOILER WARNNING[b] the dead predator (deadator, lol) on the space ship has a (wait for it) fucking.alien.predator.crossbreed.baby inside it, so I reckon there might be a sequel...

YES! I just looked up on IMDB and it's gonna be january next yr! Only seven months and I'm definitely going to see that in the cinerma!

[Cool] [b]AVP2: Predalien
FTW W00T!!! [Cool]

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Zodiac yesterday too, and thought it was stylish and involving. I genuinely didn't know it was an uresolved case though, so felt a bit cheated by the ending.

A "grown up" film that ben might enjoy was Jindabyne- slow burning Australian drama about the impact of a murder in a small community. Gabriel Byrne didn't even bother with an Aussie accent, but was very good. I don't know why the Australian government doesn't just arrest all single, middle aged white males who live outside of cities, as they are clearly all rabid mentalists dreaming of their next backpacker/hitchiker killing.

My DVD player has broken [Frown]

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+