Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 24)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks V - worth adding to the christmas book list?

ETA - no that's the one I was thinking of, glad you got it from my cack handed summary

[ 08.12.2006, 06:09: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help you with the UN and Timor one, but it sounds really familiar now I am reading this book. The book is about three people in their twenties who go to work for the UN as peace keepers. They meet in Cambodia where one is a Dr, one a UN secretary and another a lawyer,; the last two are overseeing the elections, and then they spread out to other troubled places. Each writes their experiences at each place in turn, in short bites. It sounds disocconnected, but it isn't. They have a coherent voice in that all care deeply and are either all cracking writers or were helped in writing it. You get a cumulative picture of each place and the role - with a very clear picture of the limitations of it - that the UN takes. It's about the 90s but boy is is it ever relavant now! Nothing much appears to have changed.

I also like that the personal 'voices' of the three comes across; there is a very real sense of them as they strive to survive amidst such mind-numbing horror, all the while conscious that what they suffer is so much less than the suffering of the peoples on whose behalf they are there to witness.

You can tell I like it, eh?

ETA Damn! That last sentence was tortured!

[ 08.12.2006, 06:14: Message edited by: sam ]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

sam
TMO Member
vickram I don't know much about you except you used to travel a lot. Are there links with your life travelling and the books you are talking about here? Just curious about why you know so much about the UN and that sort of thing and wonder if you were ever involved.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the dallaire book is superb, though hardly festive reading. he knew what was happening but was prevented from intervening by an international community still smarting from mogadishu. he was personally devastated about what happened, or rather what didn't, and tried to kill himself a few years later. i saw an interview with him once, some time ago, and he was a doped up jittery wreck [Frown]
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
he was personally devastated about what happened, or rather what didn't, and tried to kill himself a few years later. i saw an interview with him once, some time ago, and he was a doped up jittery wreck [Frown]

One of the things I picked up from the Emergency Sex book was the effect on the people watching it all, helpless to affect anything in real terms. I know I simply couldn't do it.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
ralph, how does that work in America? It seems conmpletely alien to me that a whole town can impeach a leader. How does that sort of thing come about?

quote:

Impeachment is the legal statement of charges. It is NOT the involuntary removal of the President from office. Impeachment, as defined by the American Bar Association, is a process,
authorized by the Constitution to bring charges against certain officials of the federal government for misconduct while in office.

The House of Representatives has the power of impeachment by bringing the charges against an official (President). After the President is
impeached by the House, he is tried by the Senate. Conviction requires the vote of two-thirds of the Senate members who are present. With two-thirds vote, the President would THEN be removed from office.

Two Presidents have been impeached. Andrew Johnson in 1868, and Bill Clinton in 1999. Neither was removed from office because he did not get the two-thirds Senate vote needed. (In 1974, Richard Nixon avoided impeachment by resigning.)

Basically, my town took a vote whether or not to impeach Bush and Cheney. It was almost unanimous in favor of doing so. The record of that vote will be sent to our elected representative in the House of Representatives. What our rep does with it is up to him I suppose. But if enough House members received this request from the people, they could possibly have it put to a vote in the House. If it won in the House, then the President and Vice President would be tried by the Senate. Chance of this happening? Slim. But it has been done before.

ETA: Just so you don't think it's only my town that's doing this...

Other states, cities and towns have adopted the resolution:

State Legislatures (pending)

• Illinois State Legislature
• California State Legislature
• Vermont State Legislature
• New Jersey State Legislature (drafted, not yet introduced)

Cities/Towns

• Arcata (CA)
• Berkeley (CA)
• Carson (CA)
• Fairfax (CA)
• Oakland (CA) (pending)
• Santa Barbara (CA) (pending)
• Santa Cruz (CA)
• San Francisco (CA)
• Sebastopol (CA)
• Silver Lake (CA) (pending)

• Champaign (IL)
• Chicago (IL) (pending)
• Urbana (IL)

• Hanover (NH)

• Amherst (MA)
• Brookline (MA)
• Northampton (MA) (pending)
• Wales (MA) (pending)

• Carrboro (NC)
• Chapel Hill (NC)
• Raleigh (NC) (pending)

• New Paltz (NY)
• Plattsburg (NY)
• Woodstock (NY)

• Concord (PA) (pending)

• Brookfield (VT)
• Dummerston (VT)
• Marlboro (VT)
• Putney (VT)
• Newfane (VT)
• Brattleboro (VT)
• Rockingham (VT)
• Montpelier (VT)

• Olympia (WA) (pending)

[ 08.12.2006, 07:29: Message edited by: ralph ]

sam
TMO Member
so how come your town voted? I mean, who started the process off?

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To mislead the American public, surely Bush would have had to know that what he was saying was untrue. Seeing as he believed that Iraq was a genuine threat, or at least that Saddam had to be removed - and so did most of the American voting public, media and politicians (same in Britain) - it's hard to see how Bush alone can be blamed, 'buck stops here' or not.

We're all culpable, even those who were shouting "STOP!" nearly four years ago. None of us did enough, except moan about it on forums like this, and maybe wave a banner for a couple of hours.

All that Americans are doing by signing these impeachment forms is admitting that they were idiots themselves. It's the same here in the UK where we have the fucking Tories calling for an inquiry into why we invaded Iraq, as if they had nothing whatsoever to do with it themselves.

ralph

quote:
so how come your town voted? I mean, who started the process off?

I'm not sure which town member got on on the warrant, but it's fairly easy to do. It could have been any number of people, as my town consists mostly of aging hippies and lesbians. Not exactly Republican material. For the record, I'm not registered as a Republican or a Democrat.
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
We're all culpable, even those who were shouting "STOP!" nearly four years ago. None of us did enough, except moan about it on forums like this, and maybe wave a banner for a couple of hours.

What else could I have done? I know I can't go back and do it now, but you know, for future reference.
vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
I'm not registered as a Republican or a Democrat.

what does that actually mean? registered? does it mean you are a member of the democrat or republicna party or what?
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
quote:
I'm not registered as a Republican or a Democrat.

what does that actually mean? registered? does it mean you are a member of the democrat or republicna party or what?
If you're registered either Republican or Democrat, then you can vote in the primary elections for the party you belong to. The primary election determines which of the candidates running for that party get the nomination of that party to run in the general election.

[ 08.12.2006, 09:40: Message edited by: ralph ]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:

What else could I have done? I know I can't go back and do it now, but you know, for future reference.
What, you think I know?

Revolution would have been the only option, but one doesn't do that sort of thing in polite society, does one. I don't think impeaching the President is of any value now though. Maybe campaigning for far, far more stringent criteria for starting a war in future might help. This mess should put a stop to any new invasions for a few years anyway, but it doesn't take long to forget again. D'oh.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You could've blown yourself up on public transport.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
You could've blown yourself up on public transport.

Public transport? The nearest public transport is 30 miles away.
sam
TMO Member
I really like some things about the American system and what you described is one of them, ralph. It sounds cool to be able to do that.

Confusion. Why do you have to register as any party? Or is it just more common to join the parties you vote for over there?

Something tells me I should be searching out an Idiot's Guide to the American Political System and reading it.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

ralph

quote:
Confusion. Why do you have to register as any party? Or is it just more common to join the parties you vote for over there?

You don't have to register to a particular party. I'm registered as an Independent, with no affiliation to any party. I'll have to look and see if I can find a party-by-party breakdown of what party the registered voters in the US are in.
froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you an Independent or an Unaffiliated?

I thought if you registered "Independent" you were signing up for the Independent Party, and if you registered Unaffiliated you didn't have any party membership. Though some news reports tend to use "independent" as a catch-all for anyone who isn't registered as a Democrat or Republican, including Reform Party, Libertarian Party, Green Party, etc., etc.

I could be wrong though.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
London's going to get all cross with us again for talking about American stuff here isn't she.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

ralph

She'll get over it.

I don't believe there's an Independent party. There's an Independence party and an Independent American party. I think I'm what you would call unaffiliated.

So...cold enough for ya?

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watched the 1928 silent classic "Pandora's Box" last night. Enjoyed it - very sad and poignant. Louise Brooks is fit. Somebody else off the boards came with me and FELL ASLEEP.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For about TWO SECONDS. And you wouldn't have known about the film if it wasn't for me. And you didn't know who Louise Brooks was till yesterday, you philistine. So I'M WINNER.

[ 14.12.2006, 06:02: Message edited by: London ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's all true. I've got nothing to brag about [Frown]
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you share a popcorn?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
would have been nice, but it gives her the trots.
sam
TMO Member
Who recommended Will Self? I have always avoided him; too much of a blokey bloke I thought, but I am really enjoying his book. You lot recommend good books, that's 2 out of 2 so far I've liked.

My partner falls asleep during dvds. We've dozens he's never seen but swears he has. Bignuts sounds like a man he'd get on with. Is that good?

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who recommended Will Self? I have always avoided him; too much of a blokey bloke I thought, but I am really enjoying his book.

A few people recommended Dr. Mukti and Other Tales of Woe if that's the one you're reading.

[ 14.12.2006, 06:37: Message edited by: Zygote ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also recommended How the Dead Live.
sam
TMO Member
I'm reading Dr Mukti, but I shall now buy How The Dead Live. I was aware quite early on that tmo had the ability to broaden my outlook in slightly disturbing ways but to find culture is a an unlooked for delight. My mother would approve.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
I'm reading Dr Mukti, but I shall now buy How The Dead Live. I was aware quite early on that tmo had the ability to broaden my outlook in slightly disturbing ways but to find culture is a an unlooked for delight. My mother would approve.

I find the way that you write quite hypnotic sam, but I'm not sure why. I think it's that you're very honest.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
that sounded like a sleazy pick up line, but it wasn't.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, isn't How the Dead Live utter shit?
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:

It's the one I've never been able to read because the only decent line was 'cancer ripped through her like it was late for an important meeting with lots of other terminal diseases'. Oh, and the Book of Dave as well, but that's just because I don't dophonetic. Write. Fucking. Properly. You. Lamers.
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to give Sam a big hug.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:

It's single fucking malt, Jonesy.

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+