Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » what have you been reading and watching (Page 12)

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  38  39  40 

Author Topic: what have you been reading and watching
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Well, I wonder if In Bruges could have been the perfect vehicle for her, but as I haven't seen it, I couldn't say for sure.

Can she do an Irish accent?
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Thanks for reminding me. [Mad]

You'd forgotten that your grandmothers were dead? I hope you didn't send them a Christmas card.
mart
She's Welsh, which is close enough, innit. They could then alter her voice in post-production or something. CGI her accent.
mart
In other news, I've been growing a moustache for Christmas.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pics or stfu

eta: of your gran in her wheelchair. not of your moustache.

[ 18.12.2008, 07:42: Message edited by: ralph ]

mart
 -
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
blimey, mart, : nice

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

mart
yeah, she's a real looker, my gran
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where's the wheelchair? and is that joint she's smoking medicinal?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*swoon*
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, life's been hard on you these past few years
mart
There's a painting of me in the attic that keeps getting younger.

(and, er, that photo is heavily processed with the clever Lucis Art filter thingie. makes anyone look rough as arseholes.)

[ 18.12.2008, 08:27: Message edited by: mart ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my arsehole looked that good, how would I ever stop squatting over mirrors?
mart
(misc did you ever buy your fancy camera?)
MiscellaneousFiles

I did. I went for the E-510 with a 14-42 and a 40-150 lenses - and it lives up to all my expectations. I got the FourThirds/OM lens adaptor too, which has been a lot of fun to play with. I'm glad I went for the 510 as the image stablization (in the body, not the lens) is amazing - it seems to work like magic. I'm also keen to pick up the 25mm pancake lens when funds allow.

I must get around to posting some pictures to the Internet at some point in the near future...

mart
I'm thinking of selling my pancake. But I'm not sure yet.

I want the 40-150 -- it's supposed to be the best of the kit lenses.

[ 18.12.2008, 09:06: Message edited by: mart ]

MiscellaneousFiles

Aye, it seems pretty well put together for a kit lens. Good and sharp all over and nice colour/contrast reproduction. I still can't quite get over how light everything is these days. Picking up an old OM lens really puts it in perspective.

I also need to get a decent memory card. I've got a cheapy 1GB xD which is fine, but obviously not big enough. With the flash off, I can fill it a few times over on one charge of the battery. Do you happen to know which cards are the best to go for? I need xD or CF - pretty quick for sequential shots and 4GB or more.

*8GB for £8 is too good to be true, right?

[ 18.12.2008, 09:31: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

mart
Unless you're shooting critical stuff that you need speedy transfers for, I reckon any old thing would be fine. Definitaly get CF rather than xD, though.

I just use the Hama 1GB CF that mine came with.

My best shots so far have been with the OM 50mm/1.8, but it's an absolute bitch to focus without the split screen and in such a small viewfinder.

a link about cards

[ 18.12.2008, 09:41: Message edited by: mart ]

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about cameras but I could do with upgrading my point and click one.

Is this (Nikon D40 Silver + AF-S DX 18-55mm Lens) any good for just under 2ton, or would I be better off waiting for January sales?

mart
All DSLR cameras are very, very good. That one looks terrible in silver, though.

One of the most wide-read photographers on the internet, Ken Rockwell lurves his D40, over all his other fancy pants cameras.

Can't help you with whether that's a good price. I mean, yes, it's a great price, but I've no idea whether you'll find it cheaper after Christmas.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All DSLR cameras are very, very good. That one looks terrible in silver, though.

Yeah, it's much better in black, but it's an extra 15% to have it in black...

I might wait until January.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
My best shots so far have been with the OM 50mm/1.8, but it's an absolute bitch to focus without the split screen and in such a small viewfinder.

On the 510, you can zoom the Live View in by 10x while you're focusing. Click the button that changes the Live View mode (bottom left) until you get a screen with a green rectangle. Move the rectangle around using the arrows and click the OK button to zoom in. Not sure if your 420 also has this. It allows you to focus much more accurately, although I do miss the OM-10's split circle thingy.

ETA: Thanks for the link about cards.

ETA: A silver D-SLR is just wrong.

[ 18.12.2008, 10:12: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

mart
Yeah my camera can do that as well, but it's only really useful on a tripod, I think.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst I am a great lover of Nikon cameras I would advise strongly against the D40 for one reason - it only works with modern DX lenses whereas most of the others (D80, D70, D1xx D2xx etc) do accept lenses going back to the original F-mount from 1959 I believe (obvioulsy completely manual use) - apart from that its a cracking camera, but I would check out some of the other models first.

(I'm a bit out of date with Nikon's current lineup - I dread having no money then looking up things I want to buy - Like a D300....)

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

mart
Yeah, but for someone with no knowledge of cameras and lenses, is that really going to matter? I doubt it would make any difference at all for Cherry. Fair enough to mention it though, I suppose.
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No... Nan!!!! Why did you have to die? [Confused]
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah. Stomach cancer. I forgot.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Yeah my camera can do that as well, but it's only really useful on a tripod, I think.

Not necessarily - maybe the IS helps.
mart
oh yeah, that'll be it
mart
quote:
I've just ordered it [In Bruges] from LoveFilm, so once I've watched it I'll know whether I enjoyed it or not.

Well, Thorn was right -- this is a great, funny, desperately sad film. Some bits of it are absurd, but they only grate because the rest of it is so human. The pairing of Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson and the writing for their characters, and all the other parts, is wonderful. Farrel's nervy, jangling, uptight body language seems so in tune with what he's just been through, and Gleeson is even better. The pregnant hotel owner was also fantastic. And the dwarf. And Yuri. Everyone.

Thanks Thorn. Did you watch the deleted scenes? I thought they helped quite a bit with some of the stuff that is only hinted at in the film proper.

In other news, I went to an audition at a local churchy amdram group on Monday, and have got a part in a play. We're putting on a show! I play an old Yorkshire git called, appropriately, Joe Gittings, who is always trying to get his neighbour to sneak up the pub with him for a few pints.

Rehearsals start on Monday. I really enjoyed the read-through at the audition, but I'm quite nervous about it now.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really glad you enjoyed it. I know what you mean abotu some of the more absurd moments feeling like an intrusion. But yeah, the main characters are so wonderfully written and acted that the movie easily withstands a few knocks. I was happy to see that it got a couple of nominations at the Golden Globes, given that the movie seems to have more or less disappeared. I've been raving about it to everyone for weeks now. Haven't run into anyone who didn't like it, but once I do, they're getting a punch in the fucking head, bottle or not.
mart
[slight spoiler]

You know at the end when Fiennes does what he does? He says "You've got to stick to your principles". Do you think he meant that he knew that the, er, thing (I'm trying to avoid spoilers here) next to Farrell wasn't real, or that he thought it was real and that's why he does what he does?

My assumption was that he thought that it was real, and he was just cutting Farrell off when he says "No, Harry, it's not-...", but I did wonder.

Thorn Davis

I would completely agree with that interpretation.
mart
Which one?
Thorn Davis

The one that you assumed to be the case. That he thought the thing was real and did the thing that he did because that was what he said he would do if the thing happened assuming that the thing was what he mistook it to be rather than what it actually was.

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  38  39  40 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+