Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Lastfm weekly top artists (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Lastfm weekly top artists
Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know why I posted that here. Perhaps as it looked like it might kick off.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
I'm speaking here as a person with no creative talent whatsoever, obviously, and therefore not in any real position to make comment - having said that, no offence, London, but somehow it seems slightly self-indulgent and just not very English to listen to your own stuff so much that it's at the top of your playlist.

I'm only aware of it because I've been reading Watching The English by Kate Fox and I'm at the bit where it talks about how self-deprecation and understatement is a key component of everyday conversational interaction.

Well, the thing is - my sister has just joined the band, and she needs to learn the songs. So we've been practicing. And the songs are made in Reason and played on a laptop when we perform, with harmonies and synth and guitar played over the top. So what you're seeing there is the backing tracks being played in iTunes (with no vocals) for us to practice to. It's not actually me sitting there going 'Wow, I simply *must* listen to Stronger for the ten million billionth time.' I'm actually kind of bored with the songs. But Lisa needs to learn 'em, so what are you gonna do?
Dedalus
TMO Member
I suppose you need to egg her on!
Dedalus
TMO Member
I guess that leave H1ppychick avec egg on her face1
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fair points by both dang and london (but not by Dedalus)

i wondered if it was something like that, and tbh i wasn't having a go at you london, it's more that as i said i've been reading this book and i'm probably more aware of some of the social conventions that govern these sorts of interactions than i was before.

there may be a thread topic in here somewhere if i can be bothered to get my brain in gear.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by London:
so what are you gonna do?

Go to that musical note thingy in your toolbar and turn off track submission while you practise? Just a thought.
Dedalus
TMO Member
If I didn't know better I'd think I'd been drinking.
London

quote:
Originally posted by ExtensionsOff:
quote:
so what are you gonna do?

Go to that musical note thingy in your toolbar and turn off track submission while you practise? Just a thought.
Smartypants.

D'you know what, maybe I'll just delete Shimura Curves from my profile altogether. Hah!

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Smartypants.

Sorry. Must be a reaction to being told by a woman on last.fm that we're not compatible. I get enough of that in real life.

Anyway, to celebrate the fact that I'll be seeing The Gossip again on Wednesday (the last time was in a tiny basement club in Leeds 3 years ago; no stage and I was close enough that I could have licked the sweat off Beth's ample bosom) I point you to the download page of their label, Kill Rock Stars.

Keep scrolling down. Go on. Not there yet. Keep going. Almost there. See! Over 180 tracks for you! And lots of videos!

OK, so some of it should have stayed in the Pacific North West, but besides the 5 Gossip tracks and 2 Gossip videos (London can worship Ms Ditto with the sound off) you've got Decemberists, Deerhoof (6 songs!), Sleater-Kinney, Slumber Party, Erase Errata, Elliott Smith, Xiu Xiu, Two Ton Boa (watch the video to Cash Machine - I think I'm in love with Sherry Fraser), Delta 5, Bikini Kill, Bratmobile, Gravy Train!!!, Excuse 17, Cadallaca, Heavens To Betsy, Julie Ruin…

Go on, spend all day at work downloading them. Your boss won't mind.

quote:
I'm so indie so indie so so so indie.

But you're still not as indie as that Comet Gain video for The Fists In The Pocket. Fuck, it was even shot on the beach at Brighton in the middle of winter!
London

Comet Gain are the indiest band alive. They are essence of pure indie. They are formed from a hundred rubbish fanzines mulched down with the spit of a decade of inept indie kisses and tied into shape with the twisted brown innards of ten thousand discarded mixtapes. Aw. And Brighton, urgh. 33-year-old men in bands throwing stones on the beach during a comedown, thinking about that time their 15-year-old girlfriend kissed her mate from the youth club, wondering if he can get her to do it again. And why is Jon Sl@de wearing that stupid hat?

I love them though. Comet Gain are so ace and Realistes / City Fallen Leaves is this glorious dyad, infused with all the depression and shite of aging within a culture and a city which fetishises infantilism. Hurrah for Comet Gain!

That Kill Rock Stars page is a cornucopia of goodness. And that last.fm comment wasn't random, it was based on this thingy in Last.fm beta which is ace, which shows you your 'musical compatability' with everyone whose page you look at. My compatibility with I Am Not is 'super!', which really suprised me. Perhaps he has been mainlining my personal radio.

[ 31.10.2006, 03:20: Message edited by: London ]

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't actually touched your radio for ages - not since when I first joined lastfm. I did play it again when you said we were super compatible but I skipped a lot of tracks so I'm not really sure why our music taste is so harmonious. Maybe it's because I played a lot of CSS. *shrugs*
London

I think it's more about the number of artists you've both played. Even if you've only played like three tracks by, say, Julie Dioron, while I've played like 300, that will add to the number of artists we have in common, which appears to be what they're basing it on.

You're not allowed to delete particular artists from your profile any more! How shit is that?

not...
oh dear that girls aloud night is going to haunt you forever.

I haven't actually managed to work out how to remove "shatner" from my favourite tags yet, so deleting artists is clearly out of my league anyhow.

London

Actually I am now a bona fide Girls Aloud fan. When I'm feeling really sad and emo and wanting to do a cry, they are the only thing that can blow the emo cobwebs from my brain. They're the anti-emo, you know? Put them loud on your iPod and I guarantee you will stop crying within three tracks.
not...
Fair enough I personally am a secret Suga babes fan. Lastfm seems to be updating a bit and here's the reason why we're so super compable. Although you already know this right?

-

not...
 -  -

Top Weekly Artists and Top Weekly Tracks.
I downloaded Death from above 1979 after cruising Lastfm's staff members and seeing them as one of their top artists I realised that the lyrics in Cansei De Ser Sexy - Lets make love and listen to Death From Above actually referred to a band and not some sort of metaphorical orgasmic out of body experience.

mnn... that makes little sense but it's too early to sort it out.

Anyhow a kinda punky/rocky welcome find - thanks to Lastfm <3

I've been playing a few Foo Fighters songs too. Only a few though. Specifically:

Everlong - I love this song and I love the video that goes with it, it's the one where his woman is in a nightmare and he lucid dreams his way in to save her. One of my favorite subjects. But mostly I just love the way it sounds.

There goes my hero - I like the lyrics in this one specifically this one There goes my hero, he's ordinary. It hit a chord with me.

Eels - I like birds - A sweet little song that reminds me of Benway lol.

In flames I have no idea where this came from? It's not in my itunes

Next week's prediction:
Yeah Yeah - Bodyrox Feat. Luciana - May just be a passing fad, heard it this morning, downloaded it and I'm gonna play it today. I believe the kids may refer to this as Phat.

[ 06.11.2006, 05:09: Message edited by: not... ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice work, x=0

-  -

I hit a few of those soundtrack blogs that I recently mentioned on tmo, and as a result picked up a few alright albums. Vangelis is the Esper edition Blade Runner, which I'm suprised only came at 15 considering there's about 30 tracks on the album. Also, Richard Brand scored a slasher called The House on Sorrority Row, and you can imagine what happens in that. John Carpenter is Halloween 3, including the notorious 'Silver Shamrock' song.

The Zombies coming in shock #1 though, outta the fuckin blue!? Not quite. The Necro tune that I've been digging samples 'time of the season', and I got hold of The Zombies' supposedly greatest album and gave it a couple of spins, and it is really, really good. Very modern and fresh, every tune's a winner. Recommended for anybody who likes this current glut of cookie cutter canadian **** -hop. And it's over 30 years old!

Nothing other of note really. Michael Rubini is another soundtrack - to a nineties cyberpunk thing called Nemesis, and Goblin is a prog rock outfit who put the madness into many of the most famous Italian slashers and Giallos of the seventies and eighties.

This week I'm after the Canibus album 'Rip the Jacker' as it's got Stoupe from Jedi Mind on production. Also probably a bit more geto boys as I haven't really given that a proper go.

[ 06.11.2006, 05:27: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

London

-

I've been writing an article about Kate Jackson from the Long Blondes. I also think 'You Could Have Both' is an awesomely amoral track, and I love it.

However I am embarrassed by the predictability of these charts. However I know why this is. Because I still haven't fixed the fucking CD on my new Macbook, so I can't actually play anything new, so just have to play stuff off my library again and again and again. I'm gonna get it fixed though. TODAY.

-

Prince because 1) you can't beat Prince and 2) watching fireworks explode across East London from your balcony to the closing chords of 'Purple Rain' is a fucking sublime experience. I would recommend it to anyone.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by not...:
In flames I have no idea where this came from? It's not in my itunes

That's probably my fault, or possibly Thorn, In Flames are one of my favourite bands so if you've been listening to TMO Radio more than likely they'll pop up once in a while.
ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 -

Deerhoof & Sleater-Kinney - at least one has to be in my top ten every week - it's the law.

Les Savy Fav - a mini binge to remind myself of one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Upstairs at the Packhorse by Leeds Uni. Tim Harrington stripped to his shorts and a pink angora cardigan borrowed from a girl in the audience, swinging from the lights and tearing up and down the length of the room getting fans to sing Who Rocks The Party. Look, believe me, you had to be there, OK?

Comanechi - because they were ace supporting The Gossip on Wednesday, so I bought their EP. So I'm a sucker for a gorgeous little Japanese girl in a frilly dress who knocks the shit out of a drumkit while screeching lyrics about sex - who isn't?

I sent daughter's new b/f to the merch stall to buy the CD for me (if they want to shag my firstborn they have to prove themselves worthy, y'know?) and he came back with a Comanechi T-shirt for himself. Without having really looked at it first. Being too much of a wuss to wear it and too embarrassed to take it back, he gave it to me for nothing. Sometimes I despair of her taste in men, I really do.

Next week - well I'm seeing CSS again on Friday in hopes of a complete set without power cuts this time, so it could very well be them.

[ 06.11.2006, 19:54: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

London

-

Hm, a pretty quiet week last week, with forays into Gonzales' awesome Solo Piano album, and Juana Molina's gentle electronica, which sometimes becomes disgustingly gay and rubbish, but is mainly quietly beautiful. Two particularly massive talents at the bottom with Arthur Russell (clasically-trained disco electronic amazingness dude) and Joanna Newsom (harpist par excellence, fairy-tale loveliness). for LOUDNESS we have The Hold Steady, which I have mainly been enjoying on headphones. They sound like the songs my wife and I download when we have taken lots of stimulants and are fighting each other for access to Frostwire to download more awesome 70s Journey type shit. And The Wrens because I got obssessed with their song 'I Guess We're Done' one night last week when I was drunk and played it 22 times in a row. (Everything else they've done is shit though).

Next week's predictions = lots of NEU!, because I just downloaded their entire back catalogue, and lots of Stereolab, because my interest in Krautrock and its derivatives has been awakened from its slumber. And also because a friend gave me access to all number of downloadable delights from E-music, so I've been downloading shit I only have on vinyl becuause I am so old.

THAT IS ALL REALLY WHAT ABOUT YOU.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't scrobble for some reason. My laptop accesses the internet via a wireless network and the last.fm plugin keeps on asking me what my proxy settings are (and I have no idea).

Any help gratefully received. I've looked on internet explorer and under tools/internet options/connections I'm showing nothing for proxies so I can't work out what I need to tell last.fm for it to recognise that I'm on-bloody-line.

--------------------

not...
 -  -

Same old stuff - as predicted Bodyshock at no. 2. next week if I can get the download there will probably be some stuff from http://www.last.fm/music/MSTRKRFT linked from Death from Above 1979 it's a side project by one of the guys in that and what I have heard so far is really quite good. Also cool name.

London

MSTRKRFT are doing a dj set next weekend. I'm thinking of going but there are 2 other things I'm supposed to be

boring

sorry

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Don't suppose anyone wants to come see The Feeling in Bristol tonight? I unexpectedly have a spare ticket if anyone's in the mood for gentle plinky-plink.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
They were quite good, by the way, if a little abbreviated. Luke Toms in support, no bad either.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
top of my last.fm is just some computer game soundtrack shit that nobody cares about. Below that, a collection of stupid bollocks.

[ 16.11.2006, 07:26: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

London

next week's chart is going to be so awesome i can hardly stand it
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I haven't listened to much music at all this week. I've been doing work that required too much concentration to have music on. I listened to some Kid Frost last night, but that's about it. Also last night, I set up a wireless internet router and I know what you're thinking, why bother when you live in a cupboard right, but I don't want to have any more leads trailing around and the wii will need internet access, and anyway, even if I was going to use wired, I'd still need a wired router, which I didn't have.

[ 16.11.2006, 07:31: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

London

I recommended you some excellent music this morning Benway.

[ 16.11.2006, 07:42: Message edited by: London ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
yes I saw that, but I probably won't get a chance to check it out until tonight.

[ 16.11.2006, 07:53: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Jack Vincennes           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
next week's chart is going to be so awesome i can hardly stand it

I should probably say now, so you are not too disappointed at the end of the week, that I have been totally caning the 3rd wave ska and The Feeling's album this week. I'm not entirely sure it's ethical to join a group when all you're going to do is things like that.
ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 -

Not much last week.

The Mary Timony was the Mountains CD (bought when she supported Sleater-Kinney on the AHOTBO tour), The Saint Etienne was Tiger Bay, Cardigans was Gran Turismo.

Next week is a shoo-in for Sleater-Kinney. I had a few days off work and listened to all seven albums in one session. I also picked up the Jesus and Mary Chain singles collection, so that'll be in there too.

[ 16.11.2006, 20:54: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

London

Finally, a chart I can be proud of:

-

If you like ultra-minimal electronic music, you have to check out Ryoji Ikeda. "Ikeda's music engages the digital recording and production process directly, playing up subtle glitches and interruptions typically edited out of that process and combining them with profoundly complex and disjointed collages of samples, pure-tone electronics, and heavily treated digital noise." It's beautiful. My friend once described the kind of music that the label Raster Noton puts out as 'like having your brain washed', and it's so true. It makes me feel so controlled and clean and calm.

[ 20.11.2006, 05:09: Message edited by: London ]

not...
Nice!

Here's mine. Pretty happy with it. Should be noted that the Wolfmother track is actually a MSTRKRFT remix.
 -

[ 20.11.2006, 05:21: Message edited by: not... ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+