Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Lastfm weekly top artists (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Lastfm weekly top artists
ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! What's gone wrong? My compatibility with everyone in the TMO group has plummeted to "very low"! And there I was hoping to absorb your collective cool by a process of interweb osmosis. *sobs*

-

As predicted, SK and J&MC are up there, but Dressy Bessy at no.2? Must be Tammy Ealom's tattoos.

The Debuts are a bunch of mainly schoolkids from Halifax who do some lovely things with chiming guitars and monotone vocals. Oh look, I'm their top last.fm fan (out of only 4, but still). I saw them support The Isles on Friday, took a photo of the singer, posted it in a comment on their myspace on Saturday morning, checked back 10 minutes later and they'd nicked it for their new profile pic. Without crediting me. Pesky kids.

The Isles are pleasant enough live but better on CD (£10 for just 32 mins? WTF?) No real killer tunes. The freely admitted Smiths influences are obvious but not bad enough to turn them into a tribute band.*

Hello Cuca are a fantastic 2-girl/1-bloke garagey rock band from Murcia in Spain. Guitar lines that are sort of Link Wray crossed with classical flamenco.

* I've been trying to persuade London to go to the Isles gig at The Water Rats on Wednesday, but only to see Sky Larkin supporting, cos she'll be kicking herself when they're on the front of Plan B in 6 months time and she passed over the opportunity to bond with/get pissed with/snog Katie Harkin (and laugh at Nestor's drumming face).

[ 20.11.2006, 22:23: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to some of their stuff on Myspace but it didn't really grab me. Maybe I should give it another go? I ought to go see Everett talk about Nirvana on Wednesday though...
ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair enough. ET does sound more tempting. SL have a 9 track EP that they give away at gigs that has songs on it that I prefer to the myspace ones though. Let me have your gmail and I'll send it.

[ 21.11.2006, 15:06: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

London

it's ampster at geemail!
ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
done
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you noticed, have you, how only 4 of you are playing? Who's winning?

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not me

-

London

yeah but we're the best four so it's ok
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
although if you google "Masami Yone", this pops up as #6 unique result.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't get the fucking thing to work or you'd all be listening to Thin Lizzy.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The boys are back in town the boys are back in town
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
The boys are back in town the boys are back in town

My friend, Terry use to hate this song. So much so that he would get really angry if it came on in the pub. Once he made us leave a pub because it came on the jukebox. Imagine my joy when, Terry started to work for a pub, hired me as barstaff and then unwittingly let Thin Lizzy into the jukebox by the entertainment company that provided said Fruities and Jukenbocks. Every day I put that song on and he would fly off the handle, until one day he actually chased me as the riffs busted in and I dropped the vacumn cleaner and scampered off. He tripped over it,(prompting me to laugh and point in addition to the musical assault) causing him to go proper David Banner, pulled off the tube on the front, cornered me in the snooker room and beat me with it for the duration of the song as I cowered on the floor with my head over my hands. Working with your mates is RAD. [Cool]

[ 21.11.2006, 10:42: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Bad Tmo Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bad Tmo Boy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
I cowered on the floor with my head over my hands. Working with your mates is RAD. [Cool]

Mickey gets a bit confused when being beaten round the head, self preservation on the blink again.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! lolol I've found a picture of Terry *

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

London

New charts are in, whoo-hoo!!!!!

*runs around confusedly in circles like chicken while rest of TMO looks away in embarrassment*

-

Heavenly because I started with Talulah Gosh and went on from there. Jacques Brel because I watched a Scott Walker documentary and got inspired. No Bra because her new album's just come out and it's ace. Sonic Youth because I left them playing overnight by mistake. The Softies because it's the gentle female-singer-songwriter thing I like. And I think Alva Noto and Ryoji Ikeda are going to be permanent fixtures from now on.

*TMO opens eyes wide, so FASCINATED*

PS - currently this image is showing last week's chart, of course. Thanks Last.fm!

[ 29.11.2006, 09:06: Message edited by: London ]

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you think of Kate Nash? I WUV HER

[ 29.11.2006, 12:19: Message edited by: vikram ]

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 -

Look, Londie! Look! Not only are The Lollies at joint number 3 but if you look at my full charts, there, riding high at number 11 with a bullet, is Masonic Boom! (The Shimuras only managed a lacklustre joint 44th this week, I'm sorry to say)

So, since I've proved my devotion to Kate's oeuvre, do you think it'd be worth my while asking to be her Myspace friend? Only I'm not a Dirty Dronerock Boy and she seems a bit picky about who she adds.

Because how the fuck else am I going to find out the name of that Lollies hidden track that you promised to tell me ages ago?

Too busy sprawling on a bed, drinking mulled wine and pretending to read a book with big words, I suppose.

You all do look cute though.

[ 29.11.2006, 15:52: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
Anyway, Matson Jones. Group from Fort Collins, Colorado. The description from one of their myspace fansites reads:Two cellos, two vocalists, standup bass, and drums. Martina Grbac and Anna Macorella most often play their cellos like wrangling rhythm guitars, lingering one's snaking melody on the churning tone of the other and periodically locking them together to match wits and volume with drummer Ross Harada and bassist Matt Regan. This combination creates a sound of eerie cellos moving at a rapid pace, shadowed by the sound of a deep standup bass and all being pushed along by the sound of attacking, steady drums.

3 tracks from their first album are downloadable from spin.com:
A Little Bit Of Arson Never Hurt Anyone
Good Advice
Into My Arms

They also had a great song on the Rough Trade Shops - Counter Culture 2005 compilation – New York City Fuck Off

Naturally, since I've only just found out about them, it now appears they've recently broken up.

ETA: Matson Jones was a pseudonym that Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg used when doing commercial work for department store windows in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

[ 29.11.2006, 21:34: Message edited by: ExtensionsOff ]

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmn sounds a bit like the chick from portishead singing in a cheap recording studio when she was still a teenager and a bit more feisty and alive than she is now. Interesting but sadly not for me.

Lets see what my charts are saying.
 -

-
Coming in soft like a butterfly kiss on the porcelain-skinned neck of a beautiful but confused gothic teenager are blur... no idea why ladz and ladettes, but there you go - that's the way of the charts and who am I to question them?

At number nine and down from last week we have Death from above A great band, one of my favorites and I'm sure one of yours too. They're great with a capital G... BLINGIN' MOFO!

At number eight we've got MYLO... Great bunch of lads, always up for a fuck and a fight....oh here come's my old mate DLT - the hairy cornflake lol
 -
Do you like MYLO Davey? I think they rock with a capital RRRRRRRrrr. You probably haven't ever heard of them have you? Have you Dave? Have you heard of MYLO? Have you dave? eh?
 -
Dave, what's the matter dave? oh c'mon, you're not still pissed off about me borrowing your hairspray are you, Dave? Dave! ARGHH!
*muffled sounds inaudable*
 -
Well that's all from us pop pickers see you next week jewellery jewllery... Dave that hurts Dave? Dave? Dave let me go dave... *crack*

[ 30.11.2006, 05:15: Message edited by: not... ]

not...
Anyway predictions for next week - some Faithless stuff. I rediscovered a few tracks that I used to like. I even considered paying for the new album they've got out, but after previewing the tracks on the album I only really liked "bombs" which has been released before and I have in my collection already and to be honest I struggled with the concept of paying for music.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 -

rubbash.

London

Lol@not. Haven't heard Kate Nash, Vikram - should I? I am loving this cello stuff! I bet they'd be awesome to see live! Her voice is a bit like the voice of Emily Haines from Metric, don't you think? Shame they broke up. More bands should have cello in. Don't Out Hud have a cellist? Cello rules. Maybe Shimura Curves should get a live cello instead of programming cello into most of our songs on Reason.

You should send Kate a message! Just say you're a friend of mine and you're wondering about the track &c, she'll love it. I did ask her and she did tell me but I forget what she said...

I dunno what will be in next week's chart. Heavenly again probably but apart from that, I got no idea.

*world trembles in anticipation*

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by London:
Haven't heard Kate Nash, Vikram - should I?

Yeah, she's aces and is gonnaa be massive. cheker
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 -

So, I got the Canibus album Rip the Jacker, mainly because it's got production by Stoupe The Enemy of Mankind, who's work in Jedi Mind Tricks is superb. JMT Paz's lyrics can sometimes grate, often lacking in grace and always very angry, whereas Canibus is pretty shit hot. Rip the Jacker is still an angry record, but it's at least eloquent, and the production is spectacular. I predict this is going to get a LOT more plays, as I've kind of fallen for it.

Jean Grae is something that I've been meaning to get for ages. I first heard her on an album by Def Jux's Mr Len, doing this long, graphically violent track about a school shooting. Since then she's popped up a few times, but I finally handed over my emusic.com dollars to get about half her album (I ran out of credits [Frown] ). It's pretty good, but perhaps not quite as hard as I was expecting. She's got a great voice though, and the music is catchy if not quite raw enough.

The MF Doom / MF Grimm album I found initially difficult, but then Doom's stuff often is, so I'll need to go back to it.

Next week:

Well, I'm seeing Dr. Octagon at some point this week, and I might go and check out The lo fidelity allstars djing on friday, so expect them. Also, more Cage (basically a less pop-orientated eminem) and Canibus.

[ 11.12.2006, 06:07: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

clark
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for clark           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

so i'm a bit late with this but here's my chart for this week - a solidly indie top 10 which is kinda predictable i guess.

London

-

electronica / french shit / blues / female singer-songwriter / banging electro / male dirrty hip-hop / krautrock / indie. Sounds about right.

not...
Look here's the TMO group chart.

-

HAHA I have infected it with my [b]The Rakes/[b] tracks. Looks like London has the rest of the places though

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listening to The Rakes makes me feel old. There's something youthful and vibrant about their sound that just screams 'fuck off grandad' at me, especially that 22 grand job song. You just know that if you listen to it over the age of 30 you'd basically mark yourself out as the kind of desperate saddo that tries to get off with his 19 year old niece at a wedding.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

not...
[Frown]
not...
Still the lyrics are lovely

22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
In the city that sounds nice,
It's alright, it's alright
In the city it's alright

22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
In the city it's alright

This girl from work, looks alright
But the lights are too bright
Bloke in sales likes her too
What am I supposed to do?
But he's earning 28
And I'm on 22
In the city it's alright

22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
in the city it's alright

Down St. Earl Street, Thursday night
In the city that sounds nice
Talking shit with my collegues *
Did we do the same degree?
You've said less to me all week
Got to go home, in early
That's alright, that's alright
If the money is alright

22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
In the city it's alright
22 grand job
It's alright it's alright
In the city it's alright

22 grand job
22 grand job
22 grand job

* I thought it was "talking shit with Micheal eves"

not...
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
Listening to The Rakes makes me feel old. There's something youthful and vibrant about their sound that just screams 'fuck off grandad' at me, especially that 22 grand job song. You just know that if you listen to it over the age of 30 you'd basically mark yourself out as the kind of desperate saddo that tries to get off with his 19 year old niece at a wedding.

[b]lol[b/]
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
Originally posted by not...:
Look here's the TMO group chart.

-

HAHA I have infected it with my The Rakes tracks. Looks like London has the rest of the places though

Dude I was listening to the Rakes way before you'd even been BORN. I recall putting 22 grand job the stereo at Bandy's house warming party, and he gave me a disinterested grimace before sticking KT Tunstall back on. I lost major Bandy points that night.

Anyway look I've listened to it 33 times, that's the second most played tune on my profile. Come back and talk about the rakes when you hit 30. Sheesh!

And, for the record:

-

Last week was straight busted. What was I thinking? Christ.

[ 08.01.2007, 08:06: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I'd like to get off with thorn's 19 year old niece. At his wedding.
not...
Aye, fair enuf you win the internet this week Big nuts.

just scrolling through you're top tracks here.

quote:

1 Evil Nine – Devil Stuff - 42
2 The Rakes – 22 Grand Job (Single Version) - 33
3 Grandaddy – A.M. 180 - 32
4 Aphex Twin – Xtal - 31
5 Mylo – In My Arms - 27
6 Bill Drummond – True to the Trail - 26
7 William Shatner & Leonard Nimo – If I Had a Hammer - 25
8 Annie – Heartbeat - 23
9 DJ Benway – Hold on Baby - 21
10 Murs – D.S.W.G. (Dark Skinned White Girls) - 20
10 Midnight Brown – Militia Girls - 20
10 Midnight Brown – Cat Belt Buckle - 20
13 Ice Cube – It Was a Good Day 19
14 DJ Benway – Nas Time Story 18
14 Benway – sweet_uffie 1 18
16 The Cure – The Cure - Lullaby 17
16 ??? – Silent Love (Main Theme) (A Scene At The Sea) 7
18 Midnight Brown – In Panama 16
18 Dr. Dre – Lil' Ghetto Boy 16
18 Fabio Frizzi – Zombie 2 (02. Zombie) 16
21 The Postal Service – Such Great Heights 15
21 DJ Benway – I'm not me

What's up with these Benway tracks, do you have a myspace or something? are they publicly available?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
yeah you can download them at http://www.killingtimemag.com/Mp3/

the Stuart Hall one isn't mine. I think that was an ftp test.

This topic is comprised of pages: 11 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+