Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are americans more racist and homophobic than UK? because that's the impression I get. I mean, amongst the young it seems to be normal to call someone a nigger or a faggot, on xbox live anyhow. UK kids don't seem to do this.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NFS:MW on the Gamecube is fan-fucking-tastic. The feeling of elation when you finally jump the bridge with Cross on your tail...

I am currently playing Lego Star Wars on the DS. It's like game-heroin.

EDIT: Did I say 'jumb'? I meant 'jump', but you knew that.

[ 27.09.2006, 08:32: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got Need for Speed for my PSP - its ok I think if you like racing games. Still haven't started on Liberty city yet strangely - last few days have been playing Tiger Woods.

Is that Lego Trilogy coming out for the PSP do you know?

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wrong! It's lame. The game is lame. I played for a whole day and didn't encounter a single corner that couldn't be taken by just easing off the gas for a second. The whole street racing setup was retarded, and the action itself was repetitive and draining. Plus the car upgrade system was limited. Perhaps the only good bit is when you're doing those ones where you've got to accumulate so many points in cop chases, but even then, the fact that you are indestructable makes that all seem ridiculous. There were better car chases in Driver.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waynster - I don't know

Jimmy Big Nuts - You are a spazz

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're cruising for a punch in the nuts

[ 27.09.2006, 09:02: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Black Mask

What nuts?

[ 27.09.2006, 08:57: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear.
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:

Affirmative.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by not...:
That's not the point, the point is it's rude.

And I bet they are all kids or teens who are sayiing those things. I mean, I heard a 12y/o girl the other day talking like she was a truck driver. She was TWELVE.

Kids think they're being cool by being rude. I guess. Either that or it's because their parents are kids themselves. I think my generation may be the last gen that was raised by adults.

As for what I'm playing: nothing right now. I've given up on the new Tomb Raider, b/c I'm stuck fighting the Yakuza and can't beat the big baddie. Hmpf.

As for our new sparkly xbox 360, no games were inside and we can't seem to find a game that we both want to play or that's 2 player. Any suggestions?

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
quote:

Affirmative.
excellent woo !

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to *Alan Wake in 2007. Sounds like I might need an upgrade though...

[ 28.09.2006, 05:09: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

not...
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Looking forward to *Alan Wake in 2007. Sounds like I might need an upgrade though...

wow
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ace news on the Lego Star Wars - I saw it for the PS2 (well the box anyway) - unsure of peoples console orientation, has anyone (and Misc I am looking squarley at you here) got/played this yet? Care to give us a little insight into whats it all about?

--------------------

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amy:
As for our new sparkly xbox 360, no games were inside and we can't seem to find a game that we both want to play or that's 2 player. Any suggestions?

Prey - very good, and extremely pretty, FPS.
Dead Rising - Brilliant George Romero homage/rip-off
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - Brilliant fun, two player

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Boy Racer
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Care to give us a little insight into whats it all about?

quote:
Lifted from Amazon (Xbox version)

Product Features

Expands upon all of the fun and creativity that made the original LEGO Star Wars such a hit, this time set during the original three Star Wars films (Episodes IV, V, VI).

For the first time ever, build and ride vehicles (landspeeders, AT-STs, speeder bikes and more) and mount creatures (from the banthas of desert Tatooine to the tauntauns of frigid Hoth) through on-foot levels.

All non-droid characters - not just those with the Force - have the power to build

Unlock more than 50 playable characters, from cultural icons like Luke, Leia and Darth Vader to fan favourites such as Greedo, Jawas and Gamorrean guards

Unlock up to 54 more playable characters with a game save from the original LEGO Star Wars
Create unique playable characters like Yoda Kenobi, Lando Fortuna and millions more by mixing and matching the LEGO body parts of all playable characters.

In Free Play mode, experience the Original Trilogy in a new way by importing any character into land levels, or switch between vehicles at will in space levels. Make Darth Maul a hero of the Rebellion, or destroy the Death Star with a TIE fighter

Character-specific attacks include Chewbacca pulling enemies' arms out of their sockets, Vader's Force choke, Leia's "slap" melee attack and many more.

Tongue-in-cheek humour presents the Original Trilogy in a manner only LEGO can put together, with comical reinterpretations of classic Star Wars scenes and elements.

Solve a greater variety of puzzles that encourage creative thinking through the use of teamwork and unique building situations only possible in a LEGO galaxy far, far away.

The adaptive difficulty option creates more challenging gameplay for Jedi Master gamers - the better you do, the tougher it gets.

Cooperative gameplay encourages teamwork in a fun way and features a revamped camera for an optimal gameplay experience.

[ 28.09.2006, 07:16: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------

Black Mask

Lego SW is a bit buggy on the DS, but, it's so cool I'm prepared to overlook the camera going off for a wander, occasionally.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
or, go to gamespot.com. They may have poo-pooed the idea of employing me to do monkey CMS work, but they've got in game footage of the game. I do love gamespot.
Black Mask

The carbonised Han character is good, his signature move is hopping up and down and then falling over.

--------------------
sweet

Boy Racer
I got Yakuza last week and managed to get a bit of play in on the weekend when I wasn't still decorating.

It's pretty good so far, the combat system makes up for it's slight lack of finesse and repetitive nature through the sheer brutal pleasure of smashing a lead pipe or bicycle or whatever into whichever lippy upstart has been stupid enough to cross you on the path to your next mission objective.

The missions thus far have varied in nature and complexity from infiltrating heavily guarded funerals to saving puppies. There also appear to be some interesting sub-games; wooing hostess girls and hitting homers in baseball batting cages are two I’ve come across.

Like I said, s’good.

[ 02.10.2006, 08:14: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lego Star Wars II = WIN
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the recommendations. [Smile]

BR- What platform is Yakuza on?

Ringo

This weekend I have been mostly playing Need for Speed: Carbon.

The verdict: it’s alright, pretty entertaining although the drifting is pony. I give it 7 Hachis out of 10.

Cactus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Cactus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
not...
lol this is brilliant!
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Need for Speed: Carbon.

Is Carbon much of a step up from NFSU2?
not...
 -
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
This weekend I got fucked up on Defcon. I was almost in tears! I was N.America and I'd teamed up with S.America and Africa to get Europe, Asia and Russia. So I send some of my lads across the pacific to start nuking China and Japan, and meanwhile my entire atlantic fleet is wasted in a tag team from europe and russia. Then they all go sailing up past canada and start bombing me from up there, and right in the middle of that, my s.American allie broke out the treaty and started nuking both me and Africa. So I had like Asia, Russia, Europe and S.America all going for me, and I was duly destroyed. But I felt so angry and let down by s.america, just dropping out and attacking me in my hour of need.

I also finished Castlevania DS, got to the last case of Phoenix Wright 2, and spent Friday night mucking about on electroplankton, which is awesome.

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
quote:
Need for Speed: Carbon.

Is Carbon much of a step up from NFSU2?
It's kind of more of the same, but with all the rubbish bits cropped out. So you don't have to do all that gay stuff with putting shitty body kits on your car and suchlike, although the option's there if you have a taste for manlove. Gone however are pointless things like neonz and scissor doors etc.

The best thing about it are the canyon duels. Basically this is 'touge' format, which is how these sort of races are run for real in Japan. If you're not familiar with it, it goes liek so: both cars start at the top of the mountain road. One is the leader, the other the chaser. The chase car (you start off chasing) should try to get as close as possible to the lead car, and if possible overtake. If you overtake and stay there for ten seconds, the race is over and you are Winner. To make this work in a fair way, they've come up with a clever poitns system. As you're chasing, your points automatically go up. The rate at which your points go up is determined by how close you are to the lead car. If the lead car gets a certain distance from you, a timer starts and if you can't catch up within ten seconds then you are Loser. When you get to the finish, the positions are reversed and you start again from the top, only this time you're the lead car. As you're being chased, you points that you accumulated in the first run start counting down, again based on how close the chase car is to you. If you're in plus points when you get to the end of the second run, you are Winner.

Drag racing is gone, and that's a good thing.

Car line up is much better than NFSU2 and you don't have to spend ages driving around because you can jump automatically to races or safe houses (where you can customise your cars etc) and car lots. That's unless you're being chased by the cops who you have to outrun before you can do anything else. If you get busted too many times in one car, it's impounded.

So yeah, there's a fair bit of depth to the game but like the others, it's fairly easy and short, and become a bit repetative once you get about halfway through.

I wont mention the drifting becauseit's just shite. You can pretty much ignore it though as the drift races are fairly rare.

MiscellaneousFiles

Thanks for that Ringo. Just for a point of comparison, what did you think of the drift mode in NFSU2?

Have you heard about the forthcoming WTCC game from SimBin, *Race? I imagine it should be a good deal more realistic than the TOCA series. Not sure if touring cars are your bag though...

Ringo

The dori in NFSU was really simplistic but ultimately better than the drift in Carbon. The thing is, if you take a game like Gran Turismo 3, and what you’ve got there is a simulator, where the physics are designed to mimic real life. Because of this, you can do everything in Gran Turismo that you can in a real car, and the way the car behaves is pretty much true to life whether you be gripping corners at breakneck speeds, or holding the biggest angle around bends and using weight shifting techniques. This is because the physics are sophisticated. With the NFS games, the physics are much simpler, so they use different sets of physics for different types of race, so the way in which the car behaves in a sprint race is completely different to how it behaves in a drift race. This is where the problem comes from, because what they’re aiming for, rather than absolute realism, is the impression of realism where the idea is to give the general feel of what’s happening. This would work well enough if the game was focused specifically around that type of driving – a case in point would be the Colin McRae Rally series where the physics are unrealistic, but very giid at mimicking one specific type of driving.

The point I’m making here is that they’ve ballsed it up, presumably by making the assumption that a proper simulation of drifting would be hard, which means no fun. Instead you get this shockingly simplistic arcade handling that has absolutely nothing to do with real life. Steer into the corner, for instance, and the car starts to slide. Look carefully and you’ll see the front wheels automatically countersteering in the other direction; it’s impossible to spin the car. The danger is the frustration of not getting the line right and bumping the barrier. This adds an element of difficulty, but this makes it frustrating rather than rewarding to get it right.

The drifting in NFSU was similarly simple, but just that little bit more realistic, which meant that you could forgive the lack of realism for the fact it was reasonably fun. That said, there’s nothing fun about being beaten in a drift competition by a bloody Peugeot 206 – a car which in the real world can’t even drift at all because it’s basically an underpowered wrong wheel drive shopping trolley. There’s too much pandering to chavs and barryboys who don’t understand the skill involved in drifting and it’s frustrating as I’m partial to a little real life drifting myself, and don’t like things which make it look too easy, because it’s really not.

As for the other games, I really don’t know. I’m not a massive touring car fan and haven’t really liked any of the TOCA games since TOCA 2, so probably not really qualified to say. There is a driving simulator out for the PC which you can download, but I’ve forgotten what it’s called. It’s EXTREMELY realistic and difficult, and although it lacks real life cars, it’s probably the best challenge for anyone who wants a good driving simulator.

Boy Racer
Sorry I missed your question previously Amy, but Yakuza is on PS2. I've clocked it now. It was excellent. Imagine a Japanese GTA without the cars and cross it with Shenmue. Apparently there's already a sequel in the offing.

I got Fable: The Lost Chapters for cheap once I'd finished that. It was an alright sub-Zelda rpgish adventure, but had an annoying save bug. Clocked that too.

So back on my Career in Fifa 05, which is starting to get silly because the players are all old or simply made up. Starting to get a bit dull too.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
There is a driving simulator out for the PC which you can download, but I’ve forgotten what it’s called. It’s EXTREMELY realistic and difficult, and although it lacks real life cars, it’s probably the best challenge for anyone who wants a good driving simulator.

Is it *rFactor?
Ringo

Nope, it's Live for Speed
Waynster

Blimey that Live for Speed looks outstanding - I might have to have a little go with that - you played it Ringo?

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+