Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 84)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Treasure Island Dizzy which is a great game.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is a great game. I never finished it. I found a good glitch in that that. If you jump off one of the high platforms on the left you can make it past a rock that is supposed to wall off the left side of the level. When you go past the rock you tumble downwards for about three screens of emptiness, then finally arrive at the little island that you see on the opening screen.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite remarkable that the Dizzy games were budget games. £1.99 and £2.99 for the most part. How the fuck did Codemasters ever make any money on that? When you factor in the shops taking their cut, the sales reps taking commission and the cost of producing cassettes and boxes, they must have been making less than a pound per copy sold.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also back then video games were very niche compared to how they are today.

Obviously the lack of production costs helped as a game could be written by one or two people.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what sort of numbers games used to sell in, in those days. I guess if it was tens-of-thousands then you could shift enough volume to make it worthwhile.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was more than that
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That article made me feel quite jealous of twins. Imagine having one. It would be like there are two of you, except you don't have to control the other one. They're independent but work towards the same thing. Imagine being one of the Oliver twins and saying 'those graphics are wicked let me just tweak this code, Oliver Twin 2' - They must have been laughing twice all the way to the bank.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
It's quite remarkable that the Dizzy games were budget games. £1.99 and £2.99 for the most part. How the fuck did Codemasters ever make any money on that? When you factor in the shops taking their cut, the sales reps taking commission and the cost of producing cassettes and boxes, they must have been making less than a pound per copy sold.

I suppose a quid was considerably more back then than it is now. But I think the sales figures were pretty enormous. Maybe not by today's standards where your average hot release will sell hundreds of thousands in its first week, potentially going on to sell millions, but still. I think also because they were so cheap to code and to produce, producers would have literally hundreds of titles available at any given time. I have about 500 games for my old C64 up in the loft. Though it's worth noting that they're almost all copies. My parents, it seems, were massive software pirates.
Kanye West
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
But I think the sales figures were pretty enormous.

yes they were quite high
Thorn Davis

How many copies would an individual game sell, though?
Kanye West
TMO Member
quite a few.
Thorn Davis

Do you think this is how Bandy reacts when Hewlett Packard ask him how many Huddle subscriptions he was likely to sell? "I dunno. Quite a few I guess."

Be more precise, boy.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here ever used Huddle?
Thorn Davis

I did, briefly. I tried to get my company to adopt it to aid co-operative working between their 15 offices. They said they weren't interested and then, for good measure, they sacked me.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Has anyone here ever used Huddle?

I applied but never got a login. Later I tried an add-on for Linked-In that broke.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have about 500 games for my old C64 up in the loft. Though it's worth noting that they're almost all copies. My parents, it seems, were massive software pirates.

Perhaps unsurprisingly as the son of teachers, I had a BBC Micro. My dad used to get the kids at his school to copy games for him. Some of the better compliation tapes were C90s with dot-matrixed inlay cards listing all the games and the counter numbers you'd have to fast forward to.

With parents like these, is it any wonder we're all theiving scum?

Ringo

Good for a laugh

I love how people try to justify stealing computer games by saying that it's not fair they're so expensive. You wouldn't steal a sports car and then try to say it's the fault of the manufacturer for not making it the same price as a Fiesta. If you can't afford something, just save up. Or don't get it!

Kanye West
TMO Member
yes, I suppose the thing here is that the box isn't bricked, it just can't connect to the live service, and if it's in the t&c of the service that you can't mod your machine, then being banned from it for doing so doesn't seem ridiculous.
Kanye West
TMO Member
"Discs are very fragile things and some users like to have their games backed up"

lol

Ringo

I'm sure if you have a damaged copy of a game you can send it back to the games company and theye'll replace it for a small charge. That used to be printed in PS2 game manuals anyway.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
It's true. I've bought Earth Vs The Wildhearts three times on CD and managed to fuck up my third one a year or so back.

I then downloaded it illegally. I felt that Ginger wouldn't mind seeing as I had paid for it three times before.

Then my computer crashed and I lost the illegally downloaded copy.

Ringo

I suppose you could argue that it's just common sense given the xbox's tendency to destroy disks
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I've heard this on the internet, but I've never actually known anyone who had a disc damaged by the Xbox.

I've known people with RROD, but I'm wondering if the disc scratching is user fault, i.e. people picking up the console and moving it when it is turned on?

Ringo

Yeah I think it's pretty much that. Retards moving a console around while it has a spinning disk in the drive, like it warns you not to do on the packaging. Though I'm sure I have seen people claim it has done it without moving the console, I suspect this is just lies.
Kanye West
TMO Member
I don't think that companies should be responsible for the actions of retards.
Thorn Davis

I've had laser burn on my copy of Mass Effect more times than I can count. It was pretty much guaranteed to happen whenever I played for 3 hours plus. And then each time I'd take it up to Gamestop and they'd they'd put it through their magic cleaning machine and it would work again. After the first couple of goes they stopped charging me for using it. Then I found out I could scrub it better using the blue cloth that came for cleaning the telly.

So, anyway. It does happen, although of course loading the game to the hard-drive pretty much eliminates any chance of it occurring at all.

Thorn Davis

Excitingly, my 360 is now over three years old! So if it breaks, I have to pay for a replacement. Nonetheless I feel a real sense of pride at having shepherded it through the previous 36 months without a hardware failure - something that Benway and CiH failed to do.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
I suppose you could argue that it's just common sense given the xbox's tendency to destroy disks

Aye, I think Microsoft would be fucked if trying to argue against that. My mate had three in a row that scratched disks and died. I was thinking about replacing the drive in my XBox, because about 15 quid to protect your disks from douche-baggery is money well spent.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

I'm not sure how to write XBox. XB. xbox. XB360

I'm sticking to:

|^^^^^^^^^^^|
|XBOX LOL | ‘|”””;..___.
|_…_…_____====|= _|__|…,]
“(@ )’(@ )””””*|(@ )(@ )

THIS ASCII TRUCK IS GONNA NEED SOME TIDYING LOL

[ 12.11.2009, 09:03: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

All aboard the phallic-truck!

--------------------

Ringo

-
Kanye West
TMO Member
never had any problems with this disc thing. Now that you install games to HD anyway, the disc is only briefly checked to see if it's actually in there.
Thorn Davis

I don't have room on my hard drive to install full games. Only got about 3GB of space left.
Kanye West
TMO Member
I got a new hard drive to overcome that problem.
Ringo

I bought an Elite [Big Grin]

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+