Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » It's snowing! (Page 12)

This topic is comprised of pages: 17 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Author Topic: It's snowing!
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nunhead has entered a new Ice Age.

--------------------
sweet

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't what I dreamt of Benway, but I'm a filthy whore and these big American companies pay well enough to satisfy my list for trinkets.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to turn down work today from a new client that I seem to have acquired, as I have a deadline with my best client for tomorrow morning, and am still sick as a dog.

It's sunny again here in Birmingham, and wasn't really very cold at all last night. My girlfriend (the actress) and I were both sweating under the duvet. Though that was probably my fever.

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
It isn't what I dreamt of Benway, but I'm a filthy whore and these big American companies pay well enough to satisfy my list for trinkets.

yes, i know what you mean. the people i work for pay alright as well i suppose. did you know that i'm an 'executive' now? I should be 'angling for a promotion to manager' or something, if i cared.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
there were a few years there where it seemed like i might be able to break free of this merry hell. cherry doesn't it drive you to despair when you think about working for a corporate?

Pro-tip: If you don't want to work for a corporation, don't get a job working for a corporation. If you're already working for a corporation, apply for a job that isn't at a corporation.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping to become an executive this month. I will then look to get into project management because that's what gets the women excited.
mart
What does being an executive mean, or entail?
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm stil massively torn between going into project management and taking on ownership of system components and processes, or just sacking it all off and learning to be much more technical. I've dabbled in things like html, js, vb, etc, and now i've started on c#, i'm wondering if i should put all my energy into really learning something like ajax, python, ruby, or c. not sure.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you think you'd be happier in something a touch more creative?
Kanye West
TMO Member
but once you're a manager you're basically a politician, and at the moment I can kind of keep out of most of the shit, and just zone out when I'm in meetings until somebody says my name, and then I have to choose between saying 'yes' or 'no' or 'sorry i wasn't listening'.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if anyone actually genuinely enjoys being a corporate cocksucker
Kanye West
TMO Member
some people do. Some people love it, because it's all about gaining power and influence.
Ringo

It's not, like, actual power though is it. You can't actually do anything useful with this power. Outside of that little office environment, where you can maybe affect some kind of petty vendetta against a junior member of staff.
Thorn Davis

I told one of my friends yesterday that I was thinking of getting chartered. She replied "But isn't that really difficult?" as though saying "honestly, mate when you're as fucking stupid as you are, I wouldn't even bother trying". Then she said "I know Octavia did it", in a tone that contained the unspoken message "But you're twice as thick as her, even on one of your better days". It was depressing, and put me off the whole idea.

[ 07.01.2010, 05:49: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

mart
Yeah. Fucking weirdos, man. Seriously. And people who are workaholics -- what the fuck. And then there are people who actually enjoy their jobs and going to work. Jesus. I'll never understand it.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
It's not, like, actual power though is it. You can't actually do anything useful with this power. Outside of that little office environment, where you can maybe affect some kind of petty vendetta against a junior member of staff.

You don't need to be a corporate cocksucker to do this. It's perfectly possible to be vindictive and petty in the public sector, or for in a privately owned business.
mart
What does getting chartered mean, or entail?
Ringo

I suppose, yeah. Maybe just a cocksucker.
Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by mart:

Something to do with ocean liners I think
Kanye West
TMO Member
quote:

nah, it's about schmoozing, about influencing those higher up, bending the system to your will, becoming a 'node'.. people who are into power love this sense of being vital. In terms of perks, it's fine dining, international travel, five star hotels, large budgets and industry fame.
Thorn Davis

quote:

It would entail doing a term long course at the local marketing school and getting a Post graduate diploma after three months of looking at case studies, learning about strategy and taking exams. It'd open up much higher level jobs and I'd end up working for Sony, writing reports saying things like "After careful analysis of the market we must conclude that launching a high-spec cassette player at this point in the audio-product lifecycle would probably be a mistake", and deciding that the new ad-campaign should feature a pretty woman in a snappy dress standing in an apartment with wooden floorboards, near a Sony TV.
mart
So you would be a chartered.... what?
Kanye West
TMO Member
i would like to be more creative, or creative at all, but I kind of feel that the thing stopping me isn't opportunity, but the fact that I'm not very creatively minded.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i'm wondering if i should put all my energy into really learning something like ajax, python, ruby, or c. not sure.

I recommend jQuery (JavaScript library), if you want to quickly learn something genuinely useful (and if you don't know it already, obv). That will sort you out with Ajax at the same time and with a lot less grief.

I found "jQuery In Action" (Manning books) to be pretty good, and there is a pdf of it here, which is presumably dodgy, but it works. And there are the usual free tutorials on the web, including the excellent official site.

A very large number of web developer job ads ask for jQuery these days, so it's really worth learning, not just a niche thing.

Thorn Davis

quote:
So you would be a chartered.... what?

Marketeer.
Thorn Davis

quote:
i would like to be more creative, or creative at all, but I kind of feel that the thing stopping me isn't opportunity, but the fact that I'm not very creatively minded.

I think we all know that this is the opposite of true.
Ringo

That sounds excitingly close to Musketeer which I will assume is largely the same thing.
mart
A chartered marketeer? You're just making it up.

Oh no hang on you're not. There's a Chartered Institute of Marketing *.

Represented by these people!!!
 -

What a crazy bunch. Is that the very best image that the very best marketers could come up with? Is it saying hey, anyone could be a marketer -- even people who look retarded and have no dress sense. Trying for a broad appeal.

Maybe?

Thorn Davis

quote:
That sounds excitingly close to Musketeer which I will assume is largely the same thing.

Basically exactly the same. I suppose the fact that my friend is saying "No that's too difficult, you'll never do it don't even bother trying" makes me D'Artagnan.
Kanye West
TMO Member
no, it is true. i don't have the freedom of will and drive that you need to be creative. I feel like to be creative you need to be able to navigate your own mind really quickly, make connections easily, have a faith and understanding about the value of your own ideas, and I have none of that. Anyway, lol. Let's not go down this path again eh.
Kanye West
TMO Member
photo: octavia, bandy, ?
Ringo

Snorton?
Kanye West
TMO Member
yes.
Thorn Davis

quote:
no, it is true. i don't have the freedom of will and drive that you need to be creative. I feel like to be creative you need to be able to navigate your own mind really quickly, make connections easily, have a faith and understanding about the value of your own ideas, and I have none of that.

I dunno. Cormac McCarthy said "anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you nearly to suicide hardly seems worth doing", and he's quite a creative fellow. Of course quoting that when it takes you four years to come up with a strapline for the new Codemasters game probably won't go down too well.
Kanye West
TMO Member
i suppose that in that case, what I'm doing now is really worth doing.

This topic is comprised of pages: 17 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+